• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why is Symphonia so popular? It's easily one of the crappiest Tales and spawned the worst engine of the series (hence Team Symphonia). The only reson it gets notoriety is due to it being the only Tales game in GC. Sucks that the actual great Tales (Rebirth and the Destiny remakes) didn't get brought overseas so people have this stilted viewpoint on what a good Tales game is.

Reminds me of Golden Sun's shittiness being ignored due to the fact that it's the only RPG at the time in GBA.

Arthea

Just IndieGala being IndieGala :)

Edit:

In Clicker Heroes, how does rerolling new Ancients really work? When I reload my game and reroll I always get the same ancients as last time, shouldn't it be random?

reroll costs souls, you know that, don't you? And more times you reroll, more souls you pay with each time. Summoning always summons the same set of Ancients until you reroll.

Why is Symphonia so popular? It's easily one of the crappiest Tales and spawned the worst engine of the series (hence Team Symphonia). The only reson it gets notoriety is due to it being the only Tales game in GC. Sucks that the actual great Tales (Rebirth and the Destiny remakes) didn't get brought overseas so people have this stilted viewpoint on what a good Tales game is.

Reminds me of Golden Sun's shittiness being ignored due to the fact that it's the only RPG at the time in GBA.

crappiest? While it's not the best, it's far from crappiest. Why ToV is so popular? aside from
Yuri being vigilante and not a good boy
, there is nothing particularly good about it either.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Great, my PC died :/
Lookd like the motherboard is the problem after some early troubleshooting...

Sigh, I really don't have money for this kind of stuff at the moment

xBladeM6x

This is a fun bug:

I fast-travelled to the DLC area and now the world is blanketed with a greyscale filter that is eliminated only by local light sources.

Edit: Aw, it fixed itself as soon as I went underground.

Dark Souls mode, activate.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

The power of procedural creation :
Grand designer allows you to create an infinity of planets, nebulae, asteroids thanks to the power of procedural noises. Using the power of your DX11 GPU, every parameter changes can be seen in realtime.

Sarcasm

I enjoy anything really. They do as well, as long we can play together and have fun.

- Left 4 Dead/2
- ARK: Survival Evolved
- Castle Crashers

Any good horror games that are multiplayer?

L4D2 is okay and ark gets stale quick.

Try

Don't starve
100% orange juice

I have a couple more recommendations but I am on my phone.

Aw I missed my Borderlands signal going off.

It's funny, I solo/co-oped the shit out of it upon release. Preordered and everything. Put about 80 hours in.

...Don't think I could go back to it to finish off the DLC.

It's not a perfect game by any standards, but I enjoyed my time with both games. (Haven't picked up the preSequel).

Oh this seems cool....

...Nope

I just found out that Yanis Varoufakis was asked to resign from his position as Finance Minister for Greece. He was the former Economist-in-Residence at Valve.

Oh man, really sorry :( That must really hurt. Can totally feel for you.
Incredible. Starry Night and Red Shift were my jam and while this is not a astronomy sim like them, I'm all for similar stuff.
The lowest metacritic score any Borderlands game received was the ill-conceived Vita port at a 64. On your almighty PCMR platform, the oriignal received an 81 average score and Borderlands 2 received an 89 average score. Both games have user reviews over 7.8 (Borderlands 2 is a 8.2). Steam user reviews range from Very Positive to Overwhelmingly Positive across the titles in the main series. It certainly seems a lot of people like the series and think it's better than mediocre -- but y'know, since you don't like them and there's a reasonable number of posters in here that don't like the games either, it must be a fact that they're mediocre and not worth playing.

While Rage manages a decent metacritic of 79 based on reviews, it only has a 5.1 user score. If you take only the user ratings there into account, then yes, Rage is mediocre by definition -- and yet several posters in here lately have played it and praised it. So it's quite possible to like, in fact, as evidenced by the 79% Mostly Positive rating on its Steam store page (over 6500+ reviews).

So it seems that 79-89% positive scores/reviews now, I guess?
And while you're certainly entitled to your opinion that the games in question are mediocre, it's certainly not as factual as you seem to believe.
Some games seem to get hate just because it's popular to hate. It's fine to dislike something but it's not nice to put people who enjoy some of these games as "basic" "mainstream" "not good taste" etc.
It's perfectly fine that you don't like the games, and you are free to discuss your issues with the game design. It's pretty disingenuous to claim that your opinions on the design of one game are irrefutable, while at the same time claiming other posters opinions on games to be not worthy to be shared. Either everyone can share their opinions, or no one can.

Granted, unpopular opinions will be argued against, but disagreeing with someone is completely different then telling them not to share their opinion.

This, however reeks of elitism. It's so inconceivable to you that someone might like a game that you dislike, that you have to psychoanalyze them to justify that they don't actually like the game, and they are just too dumb to realize that the game isn't good.
Deitus put it in much better words than I could.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Was this ever dicussed on here: http://www.geekwire.com/2015/gaming-powerhouse-valve-reportedly-considering-move-to-seattle/ ?

I assumed it was, but I just saw it while searching for Valve's website.

Yeah, somebody posted the article back when it surfaced. We know that Valve's current HQ can house at least ~400 people comfortably and we also know that number took a dive after it ditched AR in favour of VR, so my thinking is that Valve is/was looking to create an office specifically for support staff.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I enjoy anything really. They do as well, as long we can play together and have fun.

- Left 4 Dead/2
- ARK: Survival Evolved
- Castle Crashers

Any good horror games that are multiplayer?

Killing floor 2 sounds perfect for you.

This! Though, KF2 is in Early Access and only has a third of the class perks/weapons available and a smattering of maps. So if not now, certainly look it up in the future! If your group is able to tolerate a bit of jank, Killing Floor 1 has a ton of meat on its bones from 5 years of constant content updates.

Really unfortunate, I hope damage is limited to just the mobo so you can get back up and running as soon as budget permits!

I was wondering where that alternate footage had gone off to, can't wait!

Grief.exe

I just found out that Yanis Varoufakis was asked to resign from his position as Finance Minister for Greece. He was the former Economist-in-Residence at Valve.

It's an awkward situation.

The Greek people want their tax dollars recycled into their own economy rather than flowing into big banks. Many of the politicians who rely on corporate money to get elected don't see eye to eye.
Yanis sided with the people on this one and was seen as a roadblock for the creditors.

Greece needs to have control of their currency in order to stimulate growth. Need out of the Euro anyways.

SSPssp

It's an awkward situation.
*snip*
Greece needs to have control of their currency in order to stimulate growth. Need out of the Euro anyways.

I think this is true in the medium to long-term but in the short-term crashing out of the Euro will savage their economy. They'll have to have a lot of patience if they want to do this.

gar3

Some more keys
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (gar3, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Sirius Online -- MB-AD096321043BBBDE - Taken by spindoctor
Shadow Ops: Red Mercury -- MB-9613057FC2E909E8 - Taken by MaxiLive
Gunship! -- MB-C578AC018B807E7F - Taken by nightstorm

Yeah, somebody posted the article back when it surfaced. We know that Valve's current HQ can house at least ~400 people comfortably and we also know that number took a dive after it ditched AR in favour of VR, so my thinking is that Valve is/was looking to create an office specifically for support staff.

I posted it :p It also went up again a bit recently with an article by maybe cnet or venturebeat claiming 380 employees and Joe Ludwig saying ~350 at a VR panel.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Windows 10 RTM is Reportedly Imminent

No surprises here, but separately-sourced reports suggest that Microsoft will finalize, or RTM (release to manufacturing), Windows 10 this week, setting the stage for the system’s late July release.

Neowin reports that Windows 10 is “in the final stages of testing right now,” and “is expected to be signed off this week.” Brad Sams cites internal sources, meaning sources within Microsoft.

Over at The Verge, Tom Warren notes that “Microsoft is planning to finalize Windows 10 this week,” and that “a release to manufacturing (RTM) build [is] expected later this week.” Tom cites “sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans,” which could be people outside of Microsoft, perhaps at a partner.

These reports bear out what I was told by Dell last week, that Windows 10 would need to be delivered to PC makers “within days” in order for PC makers to deliver new hardware to retail stores in the US in time for July 29, Windows 10’s initial launch day. But I don’t really need to independently confirm these reports: Both writers are credible and reliable, and common sense tells us that Windows 10 will need to be finalized soon.

Really hope Windows 10 solves this weird, irritating problem that I always have to "double start" my PC so that GPU gets used in games. Otherwise it's usage is at <5%

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
crappiest? While it's not the best, it's far from crappiest. Why ToV is so popular? aside from
Yuri being vigilante and not a good boy
, there is nothing particularly good about it either.

I haven't played Vesperia so I have no opinion on that. But man playing say, Eternia on PSP compared to Symphonia blows the latter away. Eternia just feels solid, fast paced, and a bit more deep compared to Symphonia.

SSPssp

I liked Vesperia because when it came out it was one of the few fun JRPGs. There weren't many options at they time I think. Maybe it wasn't actually that good. I haven't revisited it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Symphonia and Vesperia are both good. Tales fans are weird that their opinions on the titles range so dramatically based on what 'side' of the series they like. I say side as there's a few different 'archetypes' for fans in the series (I forget how it exactly goes, but like if Symphonia is your favorite, Abyss, Heart, Vesperia, etc., then you're usually among a certain 'faction' of fans, and for some reason these 'factions' can't seem to enjoy the other titles as much as their core favorites and paint them a lot more negatively than they actually are), they'll usually like a certain selection of the titles in the franchise and be more critical on the few that aren't on their favorites list.

I liked the 15 hours or so I put into Vesperia but i had one of those moments where i spent too much time away from the game and didn't know what the hell i was doing when i came back to it. Just ended up moving on.

Now that the XB1 has BC maybe they'll add that game to the whitelist. Doubt it given that Bamco loves to repackage Tales games and sell them but you never know. I can't say i expected to see Symphonia on PCs so crazier things have happened.

Not surprising considering how fast the fast ring has been updating lately. Lots of small polish here and there, but the OS is basically done. I can't wait to get the retail build, mainly so I don't need to keep updating it every two days.

Might even do a clean install of the retail build once they plop out ISOs.

If you install a test build prior to the Win10 release, is there some method of putting your license in and just converting it to the retail version without a clean/re-install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom