• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

IF6TyiZ.png

I know your pain. Valve really needs to make developers stop doing this.
at least they're in the right order

1Byev.png

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh dear, I found out something I didn't know about F2P game trading cards that's going to have to make me have to think of what to do for Close Your Eyes trading cards. It wasn't in the main thing I was reading and is going to have to make me really consider something right now.

Sarcasm

Oh dear, I found out something I didn't know about F2P game trading cards that's going to have to make me have to think of what to do for Close Your Eyes trading cards. It wasn't in the main thing I was reading and is going to have to make me really consider something right now.

Very vague...can you explain?

Dusk Golem

Very vague...can you explain?

On account this isn't confidential information, yes.

So Close Your Eyes is a free game, and I'd like to keep it like that. But me and my artist really wanted Trading Cards, so we did that... BUUUUUT apparently to get card drops on Steam game that's F2P, a user needs to have spent $9 on a game. The piece of DLC we had I was going to charge for $1.99, but I may need to raise it to $9.99, but I honestly don't want to charge that much, so then I'd either have to come up with something else or some other option. I don't want to drop Trading Cards as they're approved and done, but now I have to wrack my brain around how to handle this. If it's some little freeware RPG Maker horror game with ridiculously priced DLC, then people aren't going to be too happy with that. But on the flip-side, I do want Trading Cards... I mean, one solution would be to charge $0.99 for the game, since then it'd no longer be F2P, but that's been a goal to make it a free game. Just... Ayyyeee.

derExperte

The only thing I need to know: Is it exploitable so we can somehow make huge amounts of dosh by selling cards?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yatagarasu looks ROUGH. Kinda expected from beta impressions, but it looks janky as shit, straight out of mugen. Looks like bundle fodder Vanguard Princess opposed to a $15 proper release.

Especially considering Battle Fantasia is out the same day for the same price, and its a proper game, with the bonus of having a rabbit with a giant wizard hat.

Yatagarasu looks ROUGH. Kinda expected from beta impressions, but it looks janky as shit, straight out of mugen. Looks like bundle fodder Vanguard Princess opposed to a $15 proper release.

Especially considering Battle Fantasia is out the same day for the same price, and its a proper game, with the bonus of having a rabbit with a giant wizard hat.

Wasnt this in development for so long?

On account this isn't confidential information, yes.

So Close Your Eyes is a free game, and I'd like to keep it like that. But me and my artist really wanted Trading Cards, so we did that... BUUUUUT apparently to get card drops on Steam game that's F2P, a user needs to have spent $9 on a game. The piece of DLC we had I was going to charge for $1.99, but I may need to raise it to $9.99, but I honestly don't want to charge that much, so then I'd either have to come up with something else or some other option. I don't want to drop Trading Cards as they're approved and done, but now I have to wrack my brain around how to handle this. If it's some little freeware RPG Maker horror game with ridiculously priced DLC, then people aren't going to be too happy with that. But on the flip-side, I do want Trading Cards... I mean, one solution would be to charge $0.99 for the game, since then it'd no longer be F2P, but that's been a goal to make it a free game. Just... Ayyyeee.

You could either change to not F2P (..as you said..) or just make a DLC to enable card drops? But yeah, $10 for DLC is pretty crazy just to get cards.

Is $.99 the cheapest you can sell a game for to enable cards? Could just offer ridiculous 90% off as well hah.

Dusk Golem

So, now I have three options;

-Charge the base game for $0.99 (though I'd like to keep it F2P...)
-Make over $9 in DLC, maybe charge the Goodie Bag for that much...
-Make these the impossible to obtain Trading Cards.

It says this on the Trading Card FAQ: http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq/

But I hadn't heard about it until doing outside research, so is that still in play or true. Hmn, things to consider...

Phawx

I missed that price mistake on Ori and the Blind Forest.

The ONE night I actually sleep at a normal time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have to ask, ever get the chance to take a pic with her like the dude I quoted?
He said she was very nice which is cool.

Nah. Bali is as far as I've travelled internationally and she hasn't attended a premiere here since The Lovely Bones.

Arthea

I missed that price mistake on Ori and the Blind Forest.

The ONE night I actually sleep at a normal time.

I'm not even mad, it was still 5€ if I understood correctly, it'll reach that price with time, then again it's not my type of a game, so maybe that's why I'm fine with waiting.

OTOH Project Cars price... OMG... it'll never happen again.

Miguel81

I'm still dumbfounded that Steam is receiving two Tales of games. That's some great news.

I'm not even mad, it was still 5€ if I understood correctly, it'll reach that price with time, then again it's not my type of a game, so maybe that's why I'm fine with waiting.

I feel shitty for paying 37 for Project Cars now. Ended up having to wait for the AMD driver update to get decent performance anyway.

derExperte

It says this on the Trading Card FAQ: http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq/

But I hadn't heard about it until doing outside research, so is that still in play or true. Hmn, things to consider...

Is .99 the lowest you can go?

Phawx

I did get in on that Project Cars price mistake. I would have preferred Ori tbh.

Annubis

With booster pack creation, option #3 is pretty valid still.
Exactly like Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok.

What about micro-transactions?

Arthea

I'm still dumbfounded that Steam is receiving two Tales of games. That's some great news.

I honestly wouldn't have believed that even a year ago, like it's even less believable than the Last Guardian still being made or FF7 remake, or new Shenmue, or FF0 on steam.
What time to be alive!

I did get in on that Project Cars price mistake. I would have preferred Ori tbh.

well, to each its own

and yet looks like the same game that we saw 3 years ago. just looks completely slapped together for release. Theres a quicklook for those curious, Jason (at least now Giantbomb has a proper fighting game player) tries to be positive on it but yeesh

The game has been basically done for this long, considering it got that Arcade release already and still looks like this. they just took awhile for this console version to come out though.

I am not sure what you were expecting. I guess they could have offered some more resolutions but the gameplay and graphics pretty much were set in stone for awhile now.

Not saying it looks great or anything by any means but, the game wasn't going to change that much from what I saw in beta or the arcade build of the game.

Locust

I'm pretty sure I've gotten the default amount of drops for f2p games just through having a piece of DLC for them. So that $9 limit might just be for ingame purchase triggered drops.

from my booster pack list:
Warframe (got a starter pack for this, never bought anything ingame, didnt buy the starter pack myself)
Magicka: Wizard Wars (got 3 card drops, only got free robe DLCs)

I suppose it could be possible to test drops before release if you activate the cards and then allow prerelease access for some keys? At least I've seen beta testers sell cards for unreleased games before.

Dusk Golem

I'm pretty sure I've gotten the default amount of drops for f2p games just through having a piece of DLC for them. So that $9 limit might just be for ingame purchase triggered drops.

I hope this is true. XD;

If not... I'll have to figure something out.

MadGear

Yeah. I just watched the Quick Look on this and really couldn't believe how rough the game looks. Mechanically it could appeal to me but the way it is presented really does not.

I'm also not really happy about the inconsistency in resolution. The characters look really low res with their eye popping pixelated look but backgrounds and projectiles look way higher resolution. Maybe I'm a bit nitpicky, but I think that this combination just doesn't mix well at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom