• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
*sigh

BUICaIy.png

I don't think I can keep doing this GAF. I had about a week off for the 4th to spend with family where I didn't do much with Enhanced Steam or Idle Master. Today I'm back and I didn't realize just how much stuff like this stresses me out.

I used to love working on Enhanced Steam - adding new features, working with cool server technologies and things like that. Helping people. Now Valve have taken a lot of the good Enhanced Steam features for themselves, and the stuff that's left is all server-side so when anything breaks I get 100+ emails from people who think their house is on fire.

I went through Patreon and removed about $120 worth of pledges from people who had been pledging donations for 2+ months and had yet to actually contribute any money. Most likely they signed up with fake or expired credit card info just to get the profile badge on Steam. I revoked these badges, and I think I'll change my policy to not assign someone a Patreon badge until after their first payment goes through. There were an additional 5 patrons whose credit card declined but in the past they had contributed, so I left these alone. In all, I ended up paying $60 this month towards the Enhanced Steam servers out of my own money.

I still get about 80ish emails a week from people requesting that I reconsider my stance on Firefox. I'm sure that once v40 is released to stable, this number will increase pretty significantly.

In essence, maintaining Enhanced Steam has become like a part time job where I trade my money and free time in exchange for... credibility? Psuedo-fame? I don't know really. I'm honestly not sure why I do this any more.

Fake edit: So in the time it took me to write this, this saga continues:

rtcn63

Your money, time, and effort aren't worth wasting without some sort of return (and I don't mean headaches). Recognition has value, but not if it's by people who wouldn't help you if you were bleeding organs on the sidewalk.

If you still enjoy working on Enhanced Steam and don't mind the hassles- continue. Otherwise fuck it.

*sigh

I don't think I can keep doing this GAF. I had about a week off for the 4th to spend with family where I didn't do much with Enhanced Steam or Idle Master. Today I'm back and I didn't realize just how much stuff like this stresses me out.

I used to love working on Enhanced Steam - adding new features, working with cool server technologies and things like that. Helping people. Now Valve have taken a lot of the good Enhanced Steam features for themselves, and the stuff that's left is all server-side so when anything breaks I get 100+ emails from people who think their house is on fire.

I went through Patreon and removed about $120 worth of pledges from people who had been pledging donations for 2+ months and had yet to actually contribute any money. Most likely they signed up with fake or expired credit card info just to get the profile badge on Steam. I revoked these badges, and I think I'll change my policy to not assign someone a Patreon badge until after their first payment goes through. There were an additional 5 patrons whose credit card declined but in the past they had contributed, so I left these alone. In all, I ended up paying $60 this month towards the Enhanced Steam servers out of my own money.

I still get about 80ish emails a week from people requesting that I reconsider my stance on Firefox. I'm sure that once v40 is released to stable, this number will increase pretty significantly.

In essence, maintaining Enhanced Steam has become like a part time job where I trade my money and free time in exchange for... credibility? Psuedo-fame? I don't know really. I'm honestly not sure why I do this any more.

Damn, some people are awful. The worst part is that I bet that those guys wouldn't do that kind of thing to EA or Ubi.

*sigh

You need to establish a noreply email addy

You needed provide generic answer from your faq as responses. Create templates.

Do not actually create a message to someone outside of the template unless they're being helpful or nice, like if they discover a bug and are trying to help a bro out.

You're getting stressed out but brah the Internet is full of turds and idiots. You can only do so much.

Has anyone used the refund system yet? How long does it usually take to credit back to your account? My refund request was already approved now Im just waiting for the money to go back to my bank? I bought Lisa the night before it went on sale. Ended up refunding the next day and getting the deluxe edition (the soundtrack is so goddamn good) for a grand saving of $2.50. Funny thing was something was telling me just to wait.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
*sigh

Reply with a link to bluescreenview and ask him to screenshot whatever it says. If he complies and it shows nothing to do with his browser (which is most assuredly the case), then case closed.

Unfortunately, dealing with people regarding computer issues is a terrifying and utterly thankless job. Everyone's quick to blame and doesn't like to do the research. It isn't just out-of-touch parents who feel that "that Firefox thing" is the reason why their computer has adware toolbars on the start bar and weird popups.

Annubis

*sigh

Just point him to the code and let him make sure it's all good.
That or reply "I don't know about you but it works for me" =)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fuck it. Drop ES and idlemaster if you don't feel like it any more. Seriously. It's not worth it.
Not worth your health, your time, your money and your general wellbeing.

Your money, time, and effort aren't worth wasting without some sort of return (and I don't mean headaches). Recognition has value, but not if it's by people who wouldn't help you if you were bleeding organs on the sidewalk.

If you still enjoy working on Enhanced Steam and don't mind the hassles- continue. Otherwise fuck it.

You guys are both right on with what I'm thinking. As Freedom mentioned, I think I'll set up a noreply email or simply remove any contact information from the website and close the forwarding I have set up on that box.

Of course this also means I'm going to have to downgrade Enhanced Steam's servers, at least until more people start (actually) donating through Patreon. For a lot of people, that's going to mean that things they're expecting to load won't (like price history, etc) when the server is too busy, but I don't really think there's any other way.

I might hop in every now and again to add new code if the need arises, or to review other's pull requests. But I think I'm done offering support, it's just not worth the hassle.

dot

Are they going to give away shit or play games on this twitch thingy?

They were giving away Coffin Dodgers earlier.

Also they were streaming Quiplash about an hour ago and will stream Coffin Dodgers after this Nvidia thing.

Caerith

I like how he is "not at all being "that guy"" while totally being "that guy."

Anyway, I use Enhanced Steam and my cat farted. Can't be a coincidence, and it's not like there's any plausible medical or dietary explanation, so please fix your program before she farts again. Thanks.

(How much of ES can you offload from needing a server, anyway? Can't it check price history from ITAD directly, etc?)

Eila

They were giving away Coffin Dodgers earlier.

Also they were streaming Quiplash about an hour ago and will stream Coffin Dodgers after this Nvidia thing.

Oh, ok. I was confused because the other day Lenard was saying he'd play Coffin Dodgers today.
I might join them in Coffin Dodgers. Game looks bad, but eh.

Lain

*sigh

Saying "ignore the idiots" is easy, but I realize that it does little, because once they crawl under your skin (and they can easily do it once you glance at a bunch of negative emails), you keep thinking about it even if you don't want to. It ruins your day and it becomes stressful.
So the next step is either find someone to assign to sift through that stuff, completely stop offering assistance (like someone said, put up a faq and if people can't read, their loss), or just stop working on ES and IM for the community. A side project and a hobby shouldn't be eating at your well being.

jshackles

I like how he is "not at all being "that guy"" while totally being "that guy."

Anyway, I use Enhanced Steam and my cat farted. Can't be a coincidence, and it's not like there's any plausible medical or dietary explanation, so please fix your program before she farts again. Thanks.

(How much of ES can you offload from needing a server, anyway? Can't it check price history from ITAD directly, etc?)

The browser's security model for extensions prevents it from being able to do XHR requests to other sites unless either a) those sites set up an exception or b) you put permissions on the extension that specifically allow the extension to "Have full access to your data on IsThereAnyDeal.com" which is kind of big warning, especially if that list includes tons of other sites like SteamCharts, SteamSpy, Metacritic, HowLongToBeat, etc.

Additionally, the Enhanced Steam servers cache these requests so that it will significantly reduce the load on these external resources. I think it will only query SteamCharts (for example) once every 4 hours then store those values in the cache and serve subsequent requests for the same app directly from the cache. Most days, there are millions of these requests pulled from the cache rather than from the source, so removing that abstraction layer from the equation could mean some of these sites might not want to cooperate with Enhanced Steam, given the millions of extra daily requests from their sites.

Other things done on the servers include updating exchange rates (for the regional pricing feature to work correctly) and things like custom profile backgrounds and style settings that would be almost impossible to decentralize. Also, anything queried to the Steam API that requires authentication has to be proxied by the ES servers so that the requests can be made with it's private API key from Valve.

In short, the servers do quite a bit of the heavy lifting on some of ES's most worthwhile functions. Which is probably why so many people complain when they're not working.

jshackles

For the record, I think your work is amazing jshackles. But I agree with others. You gotta take care of you.

Thanks! I know a lot of people love Enhanced Steam and use it often, and that the vocal minority is really winning out here unfortunately.

My goal is to try to keep the servers rocking along as best I can with what I have while bringing the extension to a completely "as-is" status.

komorebi

I hope No Mans Sky is compatible with a HOTA set up. It likely won't need it however.

Word. I recently bought a Thrustmaster T-Flight X for Elite: Dangerous...probably the only thing I'll ever use it for until Star Citizen or another space sim is released in the mean time.

But flying is just a fraction of the game. We'll need a gamepad (or M/KB) for all the traversal, mining, etc.

Shadownet

Banned
DirtyBomba is pretty fun.. but I don't know how I feel about the loadout cards stuff...

and the pop-in textures are killing my eyes.

MUnited83

For you.
just PM'd a mod to change this thread title to PS4 + Anime Fan Thread to better reflect the current state of discussion
Still a better title than "let's badmouth a game I never played in my life and make a list of games better than it OT" ;)

Needs to be shortened a bit tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom