• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey that guy looks kind of familiar.

dkBjbWA.jpg

I bet his 10-string will be sick! :)

Lol.

That means they don't need Uplay anymore, right?

...right?

N o p e.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Knight & Damsel is a two-player "uncooperative" multiplayer game set on a papercraft stage that subverts the age-old tale of knights saving damsels, with the knight and damsel competing to rescue the other!

In Knight & Damsel, players attempt to delay their opponent so their chosen hero can recieve the most glory by getting the furthest through the stage. They do this by throwing blocks on to their opponents screen, warping the fourth wall between 2D screen and world space. Blocks have the ability to delay or knock back their opponent, with snow avalanches to pursuing ghosts at hand to ensure you can get the lead in the race.

Compete as Knight and Damsel across four stages in the campaign mode, or simply kick back and enjoy the full selection of blocks via the arcade mode. Knight & Damsel offers a competitive twist on the Damsel in Distress trope, fun for all ages.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

LILLY AND SASHA: CURSE OF THE IMMORTALS -- MB-050C91A874CF967E - Taken by gurm3n
Fearless Fantasy -- MB-8E8B1FBFFB99FA08 - Taken by Tesseract

Caerith

The browser's security model for extensions prevents it from being able to do XHR requests to other sites unless either a) those sites set up an exception or b) you put permissions on the extension that specifically allow the extension to "Have full access to your data on IsThereAnyDeal.com" which is kind of big warning, especially if that list includes tons of other sites like SteamCharts, SteamSpy, Metacritic, HowLongToBeat, etc.

Additionally, the Enhanced Steam servers cache these requests so that it will significantly reduce the load on these external resources. I think it will only query SteamCharts (for example) once every 4 hours then store those values in the cache and serve subsequent requests for the same app directly from the cache. Most days, there are millions of these requests pulled from the cache rather than from the source, so removing that abstraction layer from the equation could mean some of these sites might not want to cooperate with Enhanced Steam, given the millions of extra daily requests from their sites.

Other things done on the servers include updating exchange rates (for the regional pricing feature to work correctly) and things like custom profile backgrounds and style settings that would be almost impossible to decentralize. Also, anything queried to the Steam API that requires authentication has to be proxied by the ES servers so that the requests can be made with it's private API key from Valve.

In short, the servers do quite a bit of the heavy lifting on some of ES's most worthwhile functions. Which is probably why so many people complain when they're not working.
Oh. In that case, yeah, I'm surprised you've kept it up for so long.

and yet Nintendo has web redemption of keys that auto-download to your 3ds or wii u

where can I redeem my steam keys on the web? oh wait..

Is this the same Nintendo where their account system is so robust that I was forced to use the 3DS system transfer when I upgraded to a new 3DS? ;)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
7385065A2EB2CF228400D03486F52FC624196807

Amihailu in Dreamland Steam Greenlight page.

Friend of mine put one of her older projects onto Steam Greenlight.

Amihailu in Dreamland is a dark, ambient adventure game set in the bizarre fantasy world that Amihailu Dugashoba and her friends have found themselves trapped in. Disjointed, compartmentalized locales and bizarre characters make up the landscape and fauna of this strange world—and everyone wants out!

The visual style of the game includes bright, colourful small palettes and high-resolution artwork for more of a DOS or PC98 aesthetic than classic home consoles.

Updated for Steam

For the Steam release, the game will receive a number of improvements and new locations to explore. This free expansion to the game will add Nightmare Castle locations, updated from their original PC88 aesthetic to Amihailu in Dreamland's more modern look and sound. The preview video above shows one of these new areas!

In addition to the expansion, a soundtrack download and special arrangement album will also be available. These cost as much as the game (nothing!)

---

She's doing this as an experiment for one of her older games, because she's currently working on a newer far more styled HD game right now that may not be done for a while, but wants to try and get her older stuff up there first and updated. She's doing a pretty cool stylistic pixel art look for that game as well, doing a certain time-consuming pixely look for it and using a pallette of no more than 32 colors for everything in the game.

lizaveta_nazanyan_by_edwinhavilland-d8x3oxy.png
juha_nanamun_by_edwinhavilland-d8ya06r.png

Dusk Golem

furry waifu with guns, I like where this is going.

Probably not unintentional, she usually makes characters she's attracted too and her games usually have undertoned themes of lesbianism.

Very nice artwork. Make sure to tell us when it gets closer to coming out.

I will when I know, but I think she's updating her older games right now. She made two games previously, and is right now expanding Amihailu. I am secretly hoping she expands her second game, Hell's Diary, because that game had a very unique visual style in my opinion I quite liked.

%21HDGIF2.gif

MUnited83

For you.
at least I am discussing Steam things, which is what this thread is for

I know it's shocking to people to stay on-topic

nope... also fuck rocket league

nope, played the first game when it was free on PS3 and it sucked and also no one played it.. which seems to be the case for the sequel as well. some things never change.
The very few mentions of PS4 on the last partes were just about Rocket League which is also a Steam game so your complaining just comes of as weird.

Thanks! I know a lot of people love Enhanced Steam and use it often, and that the vocal minority is really winning out here unfortunately.

My goal is to try to keep the servers rocking along as best I can with what I have while bringing the extension to a completely "as-is" status.

Forget the haters. Focus on yourself first.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/456337321786023938/7385065A2EB2CF228400D03486F52FC624196807/[IMG]

[B][URL="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=478224359"]Amihailu in Dreamland Steam Greenlight page.[/URL][/B]

Friend of mine put one of her older projects onto Steam Greenlight.

---

She's doing this as an experiment for one of her older games, because she's currently working on a newer far more styled HD game right now that may not be done for a while, but wants to try and get her older stuff up there first and updated. She's doing a pretty cool stylistic pixel art look for that game as well, doing a certain time-consuming pixely look for it and using a pallette of no more than 32 colors for everything in the game.

[IMG]http://orig05.deviantart.net/59f9/f/2015/164/1/a/lizaveta_nazanyan_by_edwinhavilland-d8x3oxy.png[IMG][IMG]http://orig05.deviantart.net/a400/f/2015/173/e/0/juha_nanamun_by_edwinhavilland-d8ya06r.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="Dusk Golem, post: 171451454"]Probably not unintentional, she usually makes characters she's attracted too and her games usually have undertoned themes of lesbianism.

I will when I know, but I think she's updating her older games right now. She made two games previously, and is right now expanding Amihailu. I am secretly hoping she expands her second game, Hell's Diary, because that game had a very unique visual style in my opinion I quite liked.

[IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33934572/gifs/%21HDGIF2.gif

Did your friend made all the art? Looks very good

titch

*sigh
I don't think I can keep doing this GAF.

Second what everyone else has said - you got to look after yourself man. Screw the rest. If you still want to work on anything do it but if i was you i would stick a disclaimer about using the software at their own risk and hell mend them.

You could keep the emails that come in and pick and choose the ones to deal with ie the ones where your getting something out of it as opposed to dealing with idiots like that guy.

Hope everything works out for you as you seem like a genuinely decent guy

Walking Dead 2 with a mystery game doesn't sound so bad. I have the last of my Playfire credit to use, and am not sure when anything else worth buying will come up.

I went for that and got corporate lifestyle simulator - good fun but i already have it so watch out for an incoming giveaway soon....

Jazz573

Probably not unintentional, she usually makes characters she's attracted too and her games usually have undertoned themes of lesbianism.

%21HDGIF2.gif

Looks like a PC-88 game. :p

Dusk Golem

Did your friend made all the art? Looks very good

Yup, she handles all the art, music, scripting and such by herself.

This is all I see, really, and I like what I see, so sure, I'll vote yes for the other game.

Then you have similar tastes to her. XD

Looks like a PC-88 game. :p

That's the intention, she even went out of her way to do coding so she could program PMDWin and winamp API into it so she could get legitimate chiptune out of her game rather than just emulating chiptune.

donny2112

How many definitive versions of RE4 have there been over the years? Like 4? :D

PS2 was a downgrade, but it had the side story stuff.
Wii had everything and the best controls (unless you're one of those who like the controls to be harder to use).
RE4 HD was a downgrade in controls and some effects were missing, but quality of visuals there were higher.
RE4 PC has the higher quality, can patch in Wii controls if you have the right stuff and desire, and has some of the Wii/GCN effects back.

There's still room for more definitiveness, but PC version with Wii or mouse controls (again, unless you're of the group that likes their controls harder to use) is probably about the pinnacle so far.

Dusk Golem

The PC Version of RE4 is definitely the definitive version. Here's why:

-Includes both original textures, some new 'updated textures' if you want it, and some really awesome dedicated fans here on GAF are doing a total conversion actual HD Texture mod that's coming along beautifully.

-It's the only version of the game that runs at 60fps, and it's gorgeous.

-It includes every piece of content from every version of RE4 in one nice package.

-It uses in-game cutscenes so costumes carry-over.

-It's in HD (and beyond the other HD amounts on other channels)

-Being PC, you can use Keyboard+Mouse, you can use your controller of choice, you can even go out of your way to use Wiimote if you know how.

-Modding scene on RE4 is pretty big.

-STEAM TRADING CARDS

I rest my case.

---

And don't you guys DARE forget the upcoming 'HD Texture' mod, that shit is holy.They went out of their way to get all the source textures from their original sources and improvise where they couldn't, even went to get pictures of sources for textures from fucking Spain.

PS2 was a downgrade, but it had the side story stuff.
Wii had everything and the best controls (unless you're one of those who like the controls to be harder to use).
RE4 HD was a downgrade in controls and some effects were missing, but quality of visuals there were higher.
RE4 PC has the higher quality, can patch in Wii controls if you have the right stuff and desire, and has some of the Wii/GCN effects back.

There's still room for more definitiveness, but PC version with Wii controls (again, unless you're of the group that likes their controls harder to use) is probably about the pinnacle so far.
Ah okay. I personally didn't mind the PS2 version, I've got the PC version but I've yet to get to it. I'd like to play once the HD mod comes out.

donny2112

Isn't mouse control easier than wiimote control?

Hmmm. Keep forgetting about mouse controls (prefer to play PC games with a controller, but I also don't play competitive multiplayer). For just aiming, it'd be probably just as good if not better (usually sitting closer to the screen and not having to hold the Wiimote steady in open space). Guess it just comes down to preference, then. If you're really comfortable with WASD and mouse controls, then go for it!

Lain

And don't you guys DARE forget the upcoming 'HD Texture' mod, that shit is holy.They went out of their way to get all the source textures from their original sources and improvise where they couldn't, even went to get pictures of sources for textures from fucking Spain.

Why would they go to such lengths for the game that costed Mikami his head? I think we should bury RE4 in the desert and forget it ever existed.

That Amihailu game looks kinda cool, BUT...

and using a pallette of no more than 32 colors for everything in the game.

Wait, what? I've never heard of a 32-colour pallette for a computer, especially not a PC.

Looking further into it, it would appear 32 colour pallettes were used primarily by Sega systems (the master system and the game gear) and one setting of the Amiga.

I mean, I *guess* an EGA pallette in this day and age would be too constricting, even though You Have To Win the Game pulled off CGA, and VGA might be too easy...I dunno, I guess it's aiming for nostalgia but it can't hit the mark cause it doesn't look familiar to me. The game still looks good, though, don't get me wrong.

Tektonic

Bundle Leftovers....

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tektonic, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Axis Game Factory: AGFPRO v3.0 -- MB-0A745B22A157356A - Taken by fuzzy123. 2 entrants total.
Alpha Prime -- MB-A714D67712048DFF - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.
Labyrinthine Dreams -- MB-F607A0514CF63C34 - Taken by Eila
Deep Eclipse -- MB-72F0333183E6FB46 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 2 entrants total.

t1436492687z1.png

komorebi

Yeah, this shit is epic. I can't wait to see the final game in all its glory. Capcom should have done this themselves; RE4 is one of the all-time greats and deserves this treatment. But NOOOooooo....

I don't think I can keep doing this GAF. I had about a week off for the 4th to spend with family where I didn't do much with Enhanced Steam or Idle Master. Today I'm back and I didn't realize just how much stuff like this stresses me out.

I used to love working on Enhanced Steam - adding new features, working with cool server technologies and things like that. Helping people. Now Valve have taken a lot of the good Enhanced Steam features for themselves, and the stuff that's left is all server-side so when anything breaks I get 100+ emails from people who think their house is on fire.

I still get about 80ish emails a week from people requesting that I reconsider my stance on Firefox. I'm sure that once v40 is released to stable, this number will increase pretty significantly.

In essence, maintaining Enhanced Steam has become like a part time job where I trade my money and free time in exchange for... credibility? Psuedo-fame? I don't know really. I'm honestly not sure why I do this any more.
I am a bit late, just woke up and read it and I agree with others here. ES is the most useful, polished, well-thought-out Steam program out there. Valve basically copying it proves how good it is. Only after shifting to FF did I realize how many of my most used infos on Steam actually weren't from Steam, haha. Thank you for all your work.
But this is not your job nor your duty to get stressed, angry or even unhealthy due to some people with weird expectations. It should be rather a fun hobby project of yours, features you'd like Steam to have which you share with the world.
The best thing would be to officially stop "support" I think. If you're not having fun with your hobby then why continue it?
Your dedication is much appreciated but it'd be a shame to see you get even more unhealthy due to "over-dedication". Take care of yourself first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom