• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
pXVTEQ1.jpg
qgiDNq0.jpg
sXm2UGM.jpg
So after having it installed for a while now but never giving it a chance, I sprang on Ys Origin today. Played around 2hrs so far. Hardly enough to give in-depth impressions but these are my early ones.

+ Music stands out and adds a lot to the enjoyment
+ Anime art is very pleasing
+ Writing is great - very important since there is a lot of unvoiced text but thankfully it doesn't get boring to read
+ Combat is fun

- Settings can't be adjusted in-game
- No VO
- Areas can look bland and empty
- Tutorials show only kb/m keys, have to guess what to do on controller
- A certain move is incredibly awkward to pull off on controller

This is the first Ys game I played and I'm enjoying it so far. The world-building, characters and lore is intriguing and well done. Combat easy to grasp but challenging with certain enemies/bosses. A good game so far. Playing on Normal Difficulty.
Wwwwwoooooowwwww!
Nice, congrats. I still have to get back to Witcher 2 while Witcher 3 is waiting in my backlog, haha. How is one supposed to play all these games man.
I feel bad because I didn't get to do giveaways during the actual sale.
Why though. You gave away great stuff. Time to get yourself something nice and have some fun playing.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of pantsattack, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pantsattack, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Batman Arkham Asylum -- MB-72968ABE3B68093D - Taken by Flips360. 5 entrants total.
Shadow of Mordor -- MB-E46EE29345283C12 - Taken by dot. 29 entrants total.
BADLAND -- MB-B0616CE10B29638D - Taken by Speevy. 5 entrants total.
SPACECOM -- MB-937DFDAA5DD6C8F6 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 5 entrants total.

t1467763110z1.png

ArjanN

5 hours?

I love Flywrench but I've only put in 90 minutes so far and I'm halfway through Mercury

Are you playing on easy or did you play the game before it was on Steam?

Because I'm sure that's a lot faster than most people. That said most of the difficulty is in the last couple of planets.

neonglow

Corpse Party
Crawl
Deep Dungeons of Doom
Elliot Quest
FTL
Her Story
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Quest of Dungeons
Retro City Rampage DX
Risk of Rain
Rogue Legacy
Teslagrad
Volgarr the Viking
A Wizard's Lizard

Outlasts if you like horror, FTL for strategy, Dust is a great action game, The Fall is amazing, Fotonica for an interesting experience.

The YDKJ games are fun with friends but at this point they're going to be pretty dated, I'd imagine.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.

So out of the three anime "Mosou" / brainless hack-em-up games that came out recently, after playing all 3 for a while I can say pretty confidently that Senran Kagura is the best of them.

Neptunia: Action Unleashed has the "wacky" dialogue and irreverence of the other Neptunia games, but the enemies are *completely* brain dead, the whole thing is super-easy, and the environments are tiny jokes. There's a lot of levels and challenges, but it gets pretty boring pretty quickly. If you're a Nep-Nep fan you're probably going to end up buying it anyway, but it's not very good. It also looks worse than Senran Kagura, even though I think they use the same engine.

Onechanbara Z2 theoretically has deeper combat (with a cubic ton of unlockable moves and character visual customization) but it looks *terrible* (it doesn't upscale well, the animation is pretty janky, and the environments are PS2-era at best) and the enemies here are totally braindead as well. Not to mention often-times the enemies don't actually try to find you so the end of a level can become a "hunt the random zombie who is just chilling in the corner somewhere."

Senran Kagura is still pretty simple, but at least there are a ton of different ninja girls to play who have different movesets; the base enemies are braindead jokes but at least the opposing ninja girls force you to think a *little* bit, and the cartoony style ends up looking better than the muddy textured mess that is Onechanbara. I think this one is the most fun to play.

They're all kind of garbage, but if you want some entertaining, mindless garbage, Senran is probably the garbage to pick.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.

You might check the BST thread for some good deals too. Lots of folk list their spare humble bundle/monthly keys over there on the cheap.

Glad to see the sequel to Bad Rats finally be officially announced. It's so majestic, I'm not worthy of owning anything from the series.

Why the hell is Trails in the Sky SC so good?

I took me an hour until I even got to the first battle and that time was amazing.
It's completely ingenious how it immediately continues right where FC left off, introduces a new gameplay mechanic with the combo crafts, more powerful Arts, while also soft-resetting your Art-progress a bit as well as the party and all that in a completely natural way that ties into story and world.

Revisiting familiar places and learning what happened in the lifes of the NPCs during your journey in FC and hearing familiar tracks is the best.
Seeing that the lumberjack guy in Rolent finally managed to prove his worth to the father of his crush put a smile on my face.

And the new tracks are so god damn good as well. I mean just listen to this.

Oh, man...you got some wonders in wait for you.

Oooooh, people what understand how to make good spritework, imma upvote this.

Lomax

So out of the three anime "Mosou" / brainless hack-em-up games that came out recently, after playing all 3 for a while I can say pretty confidently that Senran Kagura is the best of them.

Neptunia: Action Unleashed has the "wacky" dialogue and irreverence of the other Neptunia games, but the enemies are *completely* brain dead, the whole thing is super-easy, and the environments are tiny jokes. There's a lot of levels and challenges, but it gets pretty boring pretty quickly. If you're a Nep-Nep fan you're probably going to end up buying it anyway, but it's not very good. It also looks worse than Senran Kagura, even though I think they use the same engine.

Onechanbara Z2 theoretically has deeper combat (with a cubic ton of unlockable moves and character visual customization) but it looks *terrible* (it doesn't upscale well, the animation is pretty janky, and the environments are PS2-era at best) and the enemies here are totally braindead as well. Not to mention often-times the enemies don't actually try to find you so the end of a level can become a "hunt the random zombie who is just chilling in the corner somewhere."

Senran Kagura is still pretty simple, but at least there are a ton of different ninja girls to play who have different movesets; the base enemies are braindead jokes but at least the opposing ninja girls force you to think a *little* bit, and the cartoony style ends up looking better than the muddy textured mess that is Onechanbara. I think this one is the most fun to play.

They're all kind of garbage, but if you want some entertaining, mindless garbage, Senran is probably the garbage to pick.

I was kinda hoping someone would make a post just like this, so thanks.

Sarcasm

Its hard to figure out what to play.

I play stuff everyday but it is quick games. Nothing long and time investment.

One question about the Steam Machines: are they still in testing phase or did they begin to be sold? If so, are they following the constant evolution of hardware from CPU and GPU, RAM or they are still using the old hardwares?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I enjoyed The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, I truly did.
header.jpg

I know there are those who decry these "walking simulators", aka exploration Adventure games, but I am not one of them. I can enjoy a game that when done right allows a person to explore a world and soak in the atmosphere while trying to figure out what the world is about and what mysteries it holds. I appreciate a game with visually pleasing artwork for me to walk through and take in, especially with some lovely vistas and other sights .Most importantly, I don't mind hunting down for clues and putting things in their places or reading/listening to be told what has occurred.
So for me, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was a good game. A tale of mystery and death, strange happenings, and a certain somberness all in the setting of a child like view of small wooded town of the past.

It is by no means a great game for me on the mystery front, where I rarely had trouble figuring out how the murders happened or how to solve a puzzle beyond the rare prompt not showing up the first time through, but for a once-through I enjoy the story as it went through much in the same way I would an old Amazing Fantasy, Outer Limits, or Twilight Zone, Ultra Q, and their kin because I was interested in what would happen next. Though I will say one thing took me by surprise that I had passed off previously when seeing the clues as an oh so standard static game image
07:00 of the clocks

It's story was well done and that's always the main crux of an Adventure game of this ilk, and though I expected the ending, it held it's charm and let me walk away happy with my experience. Even the final achievement ties in well to the final bit, though it left me wanting more...

Now perhaps because I was playing the original version, rather than redux but I did have some problems with the audio. I can pass off some complaints with it's "out there" or "things are just not quite right" atmosphere it's going for, but I did not care for sound just dropping out as though I entered a tunnel just by walking into a building nor the same sound for a trap ready to be sprung occurring in areas where no traps were present, and thus confusing me. Minor issues all together, but I thought it was worth mentioning as otherwise it's quite nice with headphones on.

I'd recommend it to others who like exploration Adventure games, as long as you don't expect it to be a great mystery game or demand much in the way of puzzle solving with some potential "where do I go now?" if you miss a clue. Just play Redux.

Durante

Somehow, the 40% off deal together with the good reviews and consistent port quality by IFI made me buy Neptunia VII even though I haven't even played Re;birth 3 yet. Good job whoever is responsible for marketing that.

Speevy

Banned
All right, since everyone suggested I get some games for myself, I did just that. I bought some games I didn't already have on the Humble Store. I will be playing these.

You didn't stipulate that I couldn't give you the Steam keys.

screen-shot-2016-06-01-at-104456-ampng.png

ModBot said:
Instructions for Speevy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Marvellous Miss Take -- MB-5E4D96E5B8EC89DB - Taken by redlacs. 11 entrants total.
Samorost 3 -- MB-3C924EAD3F01B46B - Taken by Trellisaze. 32 entrants total.
Ys VI -- MB-B459D800DC234CC0 - Taken by darkchewie. 49 entrants total.
Her Story -- MB-F267B1287F0182DA - Taken by Fitts. 7 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Prison Architect -- MB-C11AA6667619EEA8 - Taken by bobnowhere. 23 entrants total.
Lumini -- MB-FB7FAD372FA510F2 - Taken by neonglow. 13 entrants total.
Mini Metro -- MB-D148ED5967237836 - Taken by ExoSoul. 13 entrants total.
Lumo -- MB-EFD74B4301941C5F - Taken by derExperte. 21 entrants total.
Ghost 1.0 -- MB-F38EEC16B3137D29 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 51 entrants total.
CRAWL -- MB-90243C3999CC3543 - Taken by billmcdougal. 14 entrants total.
Samorost 3 Soundtrack Plus Art Book -- MB-5F0D640EF3B4F1E3 - Taken by septicore. 6 entrants total.

t1467852387z1.png

Aurablade

Man, all of you guys are making me want to do a giveaway. Maybe after school starts I'll be able to do one. Money won't be as tight then.

CHC

Ugh god I don't know when they made all these changes to sell shit on the marketplace but it's the fucking WORST right now. All this red tape just to sell a bunch of stupid ass cards that total to like 4 dollars. Debatably not even worth the trouble anymore. Used to be so easy....

Articalys

I've considered the Neptunia games every now and then because they're right along my style of anime-themed comedy, but some of the impressions I've seen of how the gameplay itself is kind of thin always keep them at arms length.

All right, since everyone suggested I get some games for myself, I did just that. I bought some games I didn't already have on the Humble Store. I will be playing these.

You didn't stipulate that I couldn't give you the Steam keys.

screen-shot-2016-06-01-at-104456-ampng.png
*clap* Magnificent speech, m'lord.
I don't see why not. They obviously had great success on a piece of shit that took no effort.

Opportunity costs are in their favour.
I might buy if this was a Bad Rats/Barbie Dreamhouse crossover.

Sarcasm

So what would make a game not work anymore?

I played Mad Max for a bit and now want to jump back in. I haven't updated any GPU drivers and changed hardware and settings. It starts then goes away, I see this by process and steam goes green then back to blue.

I verified cache too.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
So what would make a game not work anymore?

I played Mad Max for a bit and now want to jump back in. I haven't updated any GPU drivers and changed hardware and settings. It starts then goes away, I see this by process and steam goes green then back to blue.

I verified cache too.
Mad Max and Arkham Knight take FOREVER to launch for me, I don't know why.

If I installed Shadow of Mordor, I'm guessing it would be the same as well.

man I sure wish pillars of eternity wasn't a crashing piece of shit

if obsidian's technical prowess was even half as good as their writing they'd be so much better off

Sarcasm

Mad Max and Arkham Knight take FOREVER to launch for me, I don't know why.

If I installed Shadow of Mordor, I'm guessing it would be the same as well.

Your power supply unit?

The steam icon that looks like a person that changes color depending if you in a game or not, goes to green (in a game) back to blue (not in a game).

The game use to start quickly...its only been like a month. The process in task appears then goes away (I only caught it twice).

Fixed it. Must have something in the background blocking something as a reboot fixed it heh.

Anyone have details on how long Arkham Origins is? I grabbed it and Knight during the sales hubub and want to finish them in order... because why not. But hate the combat in these games so want to blast through them asap lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom