• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Oh, man...you got some wonders in wait for you.
I'm looking forward to them!
Somehow, the 40% off deal together with the good reviews and consistent port quality by IFI made me buy Neptunia VII even though I haven't even played Re;birth 3 yet. Good job whoever is responsible for marketing that.

IFI is probably pretty happy with their Steam success.
5862ed8c9dd3a27bec3ef09bc5f43169.png

lol

Beat MGSV over the weekend. Been on a media blackout but of course can't avoid spoilers or impressions on GAF. It's not perfect by any means and the ending is....but it's still def one of my favorite games of all time. fuck konami for robbing us for real

The only mistake was playing it on ps3 cuz the graphics and textures are doo doo at certain points.

Should I even bother asking DIG if they even plan on paying me for this weird little discount they are doing for Army? I mean it's probably only $3 after their cut and I really do not want to deal with them again.

screenshot2016-07-05an3kkn.png
If true, Valve is really garbage.

People have this glorified idea that Valve actually gives a shit about the consumer. They just have interests that align with what the consumer wants.

Which isn't bad. People just have this grand idea that Valve is a big, soft teddy bear.

The only reason Valve tucks me in at night is because they take a cut of everything I make. If people knew that 'Valve Time' isn't actually a joke....

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
heh heh heh

pony island

heh heh heh

It was Pony Island, they called Pony Island the playground of the world

There was no place like it, in the whole world, like Pony Island when I was a youngster

No place in the world like it, and it was so fabulous. Now it's shrunk down to almost nothing...you see

And, uh, I still remember in my mind how things used to be, and...uh, you know, I feel very bad

People have this glorified idea that Valve actually gives a shit about the consumer. They just have interests that align with what the consumer wants.

Which isn't bad. People just have this grand idea that Valve is a big, soft teddy bear.

The only reason Valve tucks me in at night is because they take a cut of everything I make. If people knew that 'Valve Time' isn't actually a joke....

I find it amazing that so many people still tie so much of their identity to these huge corporations that at the end of the day only give a shit about their bank accounts.

I don't mean to put down Valve. I really don't. But they are just a company.

None of what Valve does to protect its image or brand should be surprising.

dex3108

I am still sad about no RDR Remastered announcement :( Oh well i hope that we will at least get Red Dead Next announcement soon.

Ludens

Banned
Should I even bother asking DIG if they even plan on paying me for this weird little discount they are doing for Army? I mean it's probably only $3 after their cut and I really do not want to deal with them again.

I think Valve's interests used to align with customers one, but not anymore. I was on Steam since the beginning, and when HL2 launched Steam was hated because it forced people to use an online connection to activate the game (yeah, I remember installing it and waiting hours with a 56k because the game needed to download some files anyway).

With time, Valve gave cunsomers what they wanted, mostly lower prices (I still remember ton of PC magazines illustrating the potential of digital delivery, since there was no need to print and distribute disks, so lower prices for the cunsomers).

And this was partially true, Steam's catalogue became huge, Steam sales were a thing (ant not those Steam sales, the first, real ones...in my first sale I spent like 20€ and bought something like 22 games with those money, including Braid which was still a "hot" game because it was preaviously available on Xbox only) etc.

Now there's nothing like that anymore. Digital prices are often expensive than physical one, sales are nothing like old ones, and Valve stopped caring, dropping game development to focus only on Steam and what's around it (so making skins, hats and so on).

They found a way to do an infinite amount of money thanks to some loops (just think about this: everytime you sell a card, a skin or an hat, Valve takes a cut. But you can sell this item an infinite amount of time, but Valve will always take that cut, no matter what), and this is the reason they dropped development. The Lab was a thing just to promote the Vive, and if L4D3 will release, I bet it will have a similar system to DOTA2, CSGO and TF2, maybe it will be also F2P

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
So is In-Home Streaming something that actually works well in practice as long as both devices are hooked up via wired connections, or are there more caveats?

I bought a Steam Link during the sale and it works amazingly well!

Only real problem is that some games just won't work with it correctly without some tinkering, but that are more problems with the games itself and less with home streaming.

I have a wired setup, ping between my PC an the Link is mostly less than 1ms and never went over 2ms, and thats with the signal running through powerline adapters (AC1200).

Overall latency with everything factored in (display, controller signals) went never over 35ms, most of the time around 20ms, thats fast enough to play stuff like SFV or Speedrunners etc.

With the streaming settings set to "beautiful" you won't even notice 99% of the time that you are seeing a video stream on the client screen. Only with stuff like bullet hell shooters with a million moving things at once on screen you can get a bit of blocking cause the encoder can't catch up.

But I played through Mushihimesama without a problem and it worked better than I ever thought it would.

So yeah, I'm a big fan of in home streaming now :p

dex3108

Valve is these days company that starts something and drops it few months later. It looks like they just get bored. Only reason why they are working on VR is because HTC is pushing them (in my opinion). Without that they would just release Vive and wait for other devs to make is good purchase. So based on those things i think that same goes with game development at Valve. They try something they get bored, they leave project. Then somebody new wants to try something they try they get bored and cycle continues (this actually makes sense when we look at stories from jshackles and other people about L4D3 being in development for years in various states and forms). Also in case of HL3 i think that they are just "afraid" to release that game because they can't meet the hype.

But i guess that is what you get when you have infinite source of money and free structure like Valve. At least Wolpaw got to work on real game again (Psychonauts 2).

Playing through Dragon Age Origins for the first time. While the combat is ok, im loving the god-tier banter and characters. Also the story has me hooked :)

Ludens

Banned

I agree with Speevy. The game seems soulless to me. Only a glorified boss rush. I'm ok with games based on my skill, I completed MGR on Revengeance getting all S, played recently Forbidden Siren getting all collectibles, souls game etc...but here I think I'm losing for the wrong reason. First there's input lag when you dash with X, but apparently not when you do that with L1 (I still need to try that). Second often you lose because you can't see what's happening (in the second boss there are spawning walls which hide the visual).
Third, I think bosses have too much health: I mean, I need to deplete their energy seven times or so, and other seven times in cqc...why? I find it stupid the fact you can get trophies if you select Easy, not even one. Do you want to make an hard game? Ok, put some trophies related to a specific difficulty setting (like "beat the game on Furi difficulty") and call the day. It's like the game is penalizing you because you want to have an "easier" experience. I don't mind about trophies, but I find irritating the fact the easier playthrough counts nothing at all.
Also the plot is very meh at the moment, and on PS4 the game is very bad optimized, the console overheat a lot, not even when playing Uncharted 4 acts like that.
The 25€ price tag doesn't help too, I think.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
5 hours?

I love Flywrench but I've only put in 90 minutes so far and I'm halfway through Mercury

Are you playing on easy or did you play the game before it was on Steam?

Because I'm sure that's a lot faster than most people. That said most of the difficulty is in the last couple of planets.

I my have idled a bit, and I also spent some time with the level editor, user levels and time trials. But the majority of the time was spent on five-six really hard (for me) levels on Mercury.

Pachimari

So are Gamebillet.com to be trusted? I ordered Zestiria from them and they have taken my money but I have gotten no game. It just gave me an error message that my transaction didn't work out.

So are Gamebillet.com to be trusted? I ordered Zestiria from them and they have taken my money but I have gotten no game. It just gave me an error message that my transaction didn't work out.

I just did the same around a hour ago and it went perfectly. Paid using PayPal.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I don't think anyone thinks Valve time is a joke. Episode Two came out like 9 years ago.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is Deponia The (now In)Complete Journey one giant game with all the puzzles, or is it still split into 3 games in a menu or something?

also wa it ever "fixed"? I remember hearing it had a bunch of problems at launch

Shit, I'm gonma buy Romance XIII at the current deal, am I?

I really can't wait for 50% off this winter, or maybe next year.

Actually this is the fourth main game. VII is not 7, it's V-II, a direct sequel to the third game which is called Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3 V Generation

Yaomingface.jpg

Ascheroth

Actually this is the fourth main game. VII is not 7, it's V-II, a direct sequel to the third game which is called Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3 V Generation

Actually it is the 7th if you count the original 3 games and the remakes separately.
Which makes the title even more amusing.

God I love japanese game sequel naming fuckery.

Deques

So neptunia 3-2?

Yes

[IMGhttps://media.giphy.com/media/CDJo4EgHwbaPS/giphy.gif[/IMG]

That's not how anything works

What the fuck

Yaomingface.jpg

I thought that by now you would know how they number the sequels...
Mega Man X is not the tenth game in the Mega Man series
Final Fantasy X-2 is not Final Fantasy 12

Bonus:
The Fast and the Furious films has the best
worst
naming in the movie titles

1. The Fast and the Furious
2. 2 Fast 2 Furious
3. The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
4. Fast & Furious
5. Fast Five
6. Fast & Furious 6
7. Furious 7
8. Fast 8

Actually it is the 7th if you count the original 3 games and the remakes separately.
Which makes the title even more amusing.

God I love japanese game sequel naming fuckery.

How about Fast and Furious films? :D

Tellaerin

INow there's nothing like that anymore. Digital prices are often expensive than physical one, sales are nothing like old ones, and Valve stopped caring, dropping game development to focus only on Steam and what's around it (so making skins, hats and so on).

I know I'm probably in the minority around here, but I've never really been big into any of Valve's games myself. If somebody told me tomorrow that they were officially abandoning game development to focus all their internal resources on Steam for the foreseeable future, I'd be like, "*shrug* Okay".

Shit, I'm gonma buy Romance XIII at the current deal, am I?

I'm just waiting for someone to reveal that it's not really XIII, it's XI-II.

Lain

You guys see a V and assume 5, while the V stands for Victory. You know what they say about people who assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom