• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Kloe and Agate if you want the best possible party. Since you like using Olivier I would go Agate.

Agate is currently fixed anyway (and I like using him as well), so it just the question of the remaining member. I don't care much about the best party possible as the game isn't really that difficult, I'd like the get the best dialogue out of my team : P

fuck agate

olivier is #1

I can get behind that. They might as well have made him a permanent member for the entire game.

who's agate

rather, what.

one of these:

Swing%20Gate.jpg
i'm sorry

Roarer

like in the darkest dungeon?

yeah i can see that, specially since you can't really leave. i might disable that if you can

The level 5 dungeons really ramp up the difficulty with some unforgiving bosses and a lot of cheap RNG (that seems to be super skewed against the player). I felt that it left no room for error and that I was at the mercy of the dice more than my own skills, but maybe I just hadn't figured out any good high level strats.

Soulflarz

Banned
I need to do anything extra to get MGR running on a normal rig? 50fps glitch/other stuff still exist or nah.

Thanks!
Figured I might as well replay that on pc finally while I'm waiting for tomorrow to come :v

Nillansan

I need to do anything extra to get MGR running on a normal rig? 50fps glitch/other stuff still exist or nah.

Thanks!
Figured I might as well replay that on pc finally while I'm waiting for tomorrow to come :v

It should work out of the box. I did encounter an issue that caused the game to crash to desktop upon starting it, I fixed that by updating my PhysX drivers. Are you playing it on a monitor or TV using HDMI? If so there might be some issues that causes the game to lock the resolution and refresh rate to 1080P24 or 1080I60, to fix this follow the steps outlined here. If you want to play down-sample or play at a higher resolution then use this tool (it was made by a GAF member).

what early access games are you guys playing currently?

I'd like to play more of The Forest, but Alien:I is scratching that itch for me at the moment.

I'm following CrossCode (latest update post) as they develop, but haven't been playing it regularly.

I played Fancy Skulls for an evening, and it was alright. In terms of early access dev support this game got criticized for long stretches of dev silence as they burnt out or were on other projects.

Soulflarz

Banned
It should work out of the box. I did encounter an issue that caused the game to crash to desktop upon starting it, I fixed that by updating my PhysX drivers. Are you playing it on a monitor or TV using HDMI? If so there might be some issues that causes the game to lock the resolution and refresh rate to 1080P24 or 1080I60, to fix this follow the steps outlined here. If you want to play down-sample or play at a higher resolution then use this tool (it was made by a GAF member).

Thanks! Yep, on an hdmi cord to my monitor, so thanks a lot.

Aside from the occasional bout of Project Zomboid, I've pretty much stopped playing/buying Early Access games. There's just so much finished stuff there already, and all of the most promising EA games (Rimworld!) will only get better in time.

But in terms of "roadmap" games, Total Warhammer is my jam. You know... Red jam.

Vibranium

Banned
There are too many upgrades in The Evil Within. I'm all about variety and choice, but it would've been better too offload some of the improvements to item drops- i.e. ammo stock. The game already has chests. Considering how little upgrade gel you get, it's very each to spread yourself thin.

All the weapons (barring the crossbow) have the same upgrades, but increasing the the critical chance (instant kill headshots) is pointless on the sniper rifle since it's already a one-hit kill if you target the head for most enemies.

Also the lack of cool "final" upgrades. The basic harpoon gets an OP fire effect added if you max out its damage, but this doesn't apply to any other weapon (I think).

Maxing out sprint is practically a necessity mid-game. Well, up to level 4 at least.

I'm thinking about doing a second, no-upgrade playthrough of TEW but I'll probably get way too frustrated when I get to the Laura boss fight (I hate instant death moves that aren't telegraphed).

rtcn63

I'm thinking about doing a second, no-upgrade playthrough of TEW but I'll probably get way too frustrated when I get to the Laura boss fight (I hate instant death moves that aren't telegraphed).

I'm just past
the two-headed dog
and I've only upgraded my sprint and harpoon so far, mostly because I know both will be super useful later on. Everything else is left untouched, my shotgun stock is perpetually low...

The game is very generous when it comes to syringes. And I am enjoying things overall. TEW is like the polar opposite of RotR, which went out of its way to give you an easy time.

Man, The Long Dark is pretty damn cool. It's like Survivorman the video game. I finally picked it up on this most recent Steam sale after having it on my wish list forever and its incredibly atmospheric. Maybe it just seems novel to me since I haven't really gotten into any other survival type games but I'm having fun with it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
ModBot said:
Instructions for Bboy AJ:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Bboy AJ, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Reus -- MB-5FD8E284872F63A5 - Taken by Gez. 2 entrants total.

t1469934055z1.png

ModBot said:
Instructions for Syphon Filter:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Syphon Filter, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

LawBreakers Alpha -- MB-59326583944FCD18 - Taken by Purkake4
LawBreakers Alpha #2 -- MB-5639B7D9AD08250E - Taken by neonglow

Vibranium

Banned
I'm just past
the two-headed dog
and I've only upgraded my sprint and harpoon so far, mostly because I know both will be super useful later on. Everything else is left untouched, my shotgun stock is perpetually low...

The game is very generous when it comes to syringes. And I am enjoying things overall. TEW is like the polar opposite of RotR, which went out of its way to give you an easy time.

Good idea, sprint is a total must, especially at the end of the game with combat sections.

I feel bad for Lawbreakers devs. They had to come out during the Overwatch craze.

Overwatch is so big at this point that any other multiplayer FPS is fucked in this market. Capitalism sure is terrible great.

All Lawbreakers needs to ask is... "Are you with us?"
Little King's Story sounds super cool.

It's even better than it sounds. A gem of a game.

Fortunately it's based on the Wii version AFAIK, which has hella charm and even more style. The newer Vita version sacrificed it all for an anime artstyle and music.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So from your post I gather that it was the GPU PSU that was the problem?

I'd say my previous PSU was on the way out due to the fact that my instability issues were amplified when I moved the PCI-E power cable to the correct socket, but sadly replacing it didn't solve anything.

Btw, what does MHz actually do with the RAM? My current 12 GB has according to GPU-Z 665, the 32 GB I ordered had 2666 I think. I tried to google, but it's very complicated, most of what I understood is speed.

Faster RAM helps keep your framerate up in cases where you're CPU-limited. Digital Foundry published an interesting article about this.

Hmm, I think I have the solution to this. In 2007 I was having a similar issue, where after a seemingly set amount of time in demanding games the display driver would crash and get "recovered" by Windows. I changed every component and couldn't work out the issue, until I borrowed someone elses graphics card and found everything was fine. I was convinced it was the mobo, but it wasn't. Turns out it was a fault with the card, most likely to do with the soldering being dodgy.

Key point here is, I did replace the graphics card with an identical one, it was just a coincidence it had the same issue. I would recommend borrowing someone elses card that is entirely different. See what happens, preferably with something of similar power consumption. If that card also fails, I place all bets on PSU - but all of this only applies if the issue is consistent for all demanding games with the same identical issue. Otherwise it's probably just Witcher 3 going to town on an overclock or something.

I'm leaning towards the problem being TW3 playing silly buggers with my CPU overclock as I had no issues on my previous system, the GPU from which I carried over to my new system while I waited for my 1080 to arrive. I haven't experimented with other games just yet, though.

Edit: Come to think of it, the STRIX is factory overclocked, as is the 980 Ti it replaced. That could also be the culprit.

I'd say my previous PSU was on the way out due to the fact that my instability issues were amplified when I moved the PCI-E power cable to the correct socket, but sadly replacing it didn't solve anything.

Faster RAM helps keep your framerate up in cases where you're CPU-limited. Digital Foundry published an interesting article about this.

I'm leaning towards the problem being TW3 playing silly buggers with my CPU overclock as I had no issues on my previous system, the GPU from which I carried over to my new system while I waited for my 1080 to arrive. I haven't experimented with other games just yet, though.

Edit: Come to think of it, the STRIX is factory overclocked, as is the 980 Ti it replaced. That could also be the culprit.

What kind of crash do you get? TW3 used to crash for me as well until I downclocked my 970 to factory values (it's an EVGA model that comes with factory OC)
Had the same issue in Dragon Age Inquisition and Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What kind of crash do you get? TW3 used to crash for me as well until I downclocked my 970 to factory values (it's an EVGA model that comes with factory OC)
Had the same issue in Dragon Age Inquisition and Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012.

Generally a sudden reboot, but occasionally it's just the game that crashes. I upped the vcore a bit after the last incident and have been playing TW3 for ~45 minutes now, which I think is my longest session post-upgrade.

Generally a sudden reboot, but occasionally it's just the game that crashes. I upped the vcore a bit after the last incident and have been playing TW3 for ~45 minutes now, which I think is my longest session post-upgrade.

Oh, seems to be a different kind of crash then. I used to lose the video signal and I had to restart the computer in order to get out of that.

Deques

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

A game about a boundless space -- MB-2C4E124744FE4414 - Taken by Deques. 15 entrants total.

t1469884009z1.png

Some kind of joke game if anyone wants to know. It wasn't No Man's Sky :(

JarrodL

Do you really though? >_>

Well, adding the missing fighters and fixing the netcode would solve the only two big problems MKX PC port has left, so ... yeah?

The only question is, how much is it going to cost. After everything, they better provide a significant discount for the upgrade. Or give it for free (this will never happen of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom