• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So played Murdered: Soul Suspect for about five and a half hours, some footnote impressions of the game (full impressions when I beat it):

header_292x136.jpg

-The game has a stupid amount of optional content. If I wasn't a completionist, the point of where I am right now in the story could of been reached in an hour easily, but because I am doing side-quests and optional content like mad, it's taken me five hours to get to this point. there is so much in the game off the beaten path, from collectibles, to hidden scenes, side-quests, secrets, and more.

-This game has the most collectible collecting I have seen in a while. Most of it is optional (except in investigative gameplay, where you have to find and locate clues). You collect everything from enchanted items (which lie scattered in each main story location, collect all of them and you unlock a audio diary sort of thing telling a ghost story about the level you're in), a variety of pages, plaques, memories, and more detailing the history of the town, the history of the characters in the game, the details of the Bell Murderer case, and more. Almost every collectible contains additional story to the game. I'm not even a 4th of the way through the game yet, and I've gotten an achievement for collecting over 100 collectibles (also got one for 50, 75, etc.)

-Gameplay is kind of minimalistic. You control your character, you interact with things, you do occasionally avoid and sneak-up on demons, and you explore a lot, but I would classify the game more something akin to a TellTale game. It's got a bit more gameplay than a Telltale game, but that gets the point across.

-Outside of a Telltale game, now that I've played the game more, the game it reminds me the most of is Alan Wake. The character controls a lot like Alan Wake, the narrative kind of has some similarities, and while they're very different there's just elements of the game that seem Alan Wake-like to me.

-Some really nice attention to detail in the game. Every building in the game is different, the ghostly objects are all placed in intelligent locations relevant to other info the game gives you. One attention to detail that really impressed me is that, in the game, you can possess people, and read many peoples thoughts you possess (it's like the main thing you can do when possessing people). Now when you approach people, they sometimes can start dialogue with other characters in the environment, which is fun. However, possessing them, I noticed that every character in the game's voice was slightly different when you read their minds than when you listened to them speak to other characters, but then I realized that's because everyone hears their voice differently in their head than they actually speak outloud. That's a detail no one would of ridiculed the game for if they didn't put it in, but they did anyway.

-The game I think you'll really enjoy if you're an 'experience' gamer, there's a whole lot of interesting world building, character development, side optional content, areas off the beaten path to explore, interesting sights and more in the game. In fact, I think this game is more loaded with this sort of content than any game I've played in a long time. It's almost like a love letter to that sort of additional content in games. However, those who like meatier content in games may not like it as much, as I'm finding what is usually additional content in other games is like, the main content in this game. Which I think is cool and I am enjoying, but it's really a required tastes thing.

-At least in the first three areas, demons haven't bothered me yet. They haven't really been a threat, and they're really not intrusive. This could change later, but I mention as I saw a lot of complaints about the demon element in the game.

-There is a hub world area in the game. Only a portion of it is available to me right now, but it's pretty well handled. The one thing that bugs me though is that in the hub worlds, the NPCs have way too frequent repeating phrases when you possess someone and read their mind. There's like, 10-15 different things everyone in town may be thinking. This is not a problem in main story locations, as each character in those is thinking different things, at least so far.

-I like the characters a lot so far, and I am legitimately interested in the story. Some of the side content has even managed to touch me emotionally twice so far.

-The game isn't scary, but they have explored a few unnerving scenarios in the optional content. The ghost stories about the different locations, and some of the ghosts themselves, are rather creepy and explore some interesting possibilities of what ghosts could or would do if they actually existed.

---

So far, it's not a game for everyone, but I think it's going to be one of those games people are going to recommend to others who share a taste for games like this down the line. Maybe it falls apart later, but so far I can say I can see this joining the cult status games and being very appealing to some people. Though uncertain I'd recommend it at the full price tag, as in some ways the game does feel like it's missing some meat.

And that Aussies will probably get overcharged as usual.

GoG are giving us $23.85 in bonus codes to make up for the price gouging in the "best pre-order deal"

I imagine steam will be the same, but without the codes. I also imagine some other site will let me buy it for a whole lot bloody cheaper.

saunderez

Picked up Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Storm 3 for $20 in the half price sale and am really impressed. I have to admit, I stopped watching the anime just before the great ninja war started, but the game is making me want to get back into the series again. Well worth the money, looks and runs beautifully on my rig. Have convinced a couple of friends to buy in as well so we can have an online tourney at some point. Gonna be some good drunken times.

Picked up Naruto Shippuden: Ninja Storm 3 for $20 in the half price sale and am really impressed. I have to admit, I stopped watching the anime just before the great ninja war started, but the game is making me want to get back into the series again. Well worth the money, looks and runs beautifully on my rig. Have convinced a couple of friends to buy in as well so we can have an online tourney at some point. Gonna be some good drunken times.

The "balance" of the game is quite... bad I would say. If you play it with friends, it doesnt really depend on how good you are at this game but more on how good the character is.

There are some characters that have an almost 100% chance to land a super attack and then some with whose super attack it is totally hard to hit someone.

I picked it up awhile ago, but I stopped somewhere in shippuden before the story of the game comes in, I think... so I've been waiting to play it. Also, I wish I could unlock the framerate...

Sarcasm

So for who have played The Stomping Land and The Forest, what do you think?

I am leaning very close to spending 15 bones on Forest it looks sweet (twitch tv ty).

saunderez

The "balance" of the game is quite... bad I would say. If you play it with friends, it doesnt really depend on how good you are at this game but more on how good the character is.

There are some characters that have an almost 100% chance to land a super attack and then some with whose super attack it is totally hard to hit someone.

Thanks for the info. We don't play for competition, just for sport. But we'll probably end up enforcing rules as "can't be x or y" if it becomes too much of an issue. Our go to game right now is Sonic Transformed, this will be played in a similar spirit.

Sajjaja

Pfft, I bet all he did was stare at you and have other people talk about how good he is.

Pffffffffffttttttttttttt.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTT.

You'll hit a wall so fast in something like third strike.

Get your xbone controller (ew) or another substitute (DS4, DS3, x360, wii u) and come fight me at Skullgirls or any 6 button Capcom fighter, brah. ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
GoG are giving us $23.85 in bonus codes to make up for the price gouging in the "best pre-order deal"

I imagine steam will be the same, but without the codes. I also imagine some other site will let me buy it for a whole lot bloody cheaper.

The GOG price changed just a few hours ago. The game still has a $90 base price, but the early bird discount is now 20%, reducing the cost to $71.99, and the "fair price guarantee" rebate has dropped slightly to $21.78. Assuming you used GOG regularly, you'd break it down as follows:

Old: $80.99 cost - $23.85 back = $57.14
New: $71.99 cost - $21.78 back = $50.21

The FPG is nice and all, but I rarely buy games on GOG so it's an empty gesture from my perspective.

no stop until the restraining order

"You must must not set foot within 100 feet of her Tumblr tag"? :p

Pfft, I bet all he did was stare at you and have other people talk about how good he is.
He's pretty good, I summoned my friend to tag along, then I just chill and watch two of them fight, and he beats my friend every time.

There's not a lot of honorably guys left, I once dueled with a guy in Havel armor, doesn't bow, doesn't let you buff, attacks immediately after the spawning animation ends. Talk about tryhards...

Kaleinc

Banned
u don't even kno. I'm pro evo at jumping.

I dunno, it works for my play level. It feels similar to a fight stick layout anyway. Better than a stock controller.
Don't you have key rollover issues? That's the only thing stopping me from winning evo on keyboard.

Limbo getting linux port it seems.

Scuff did this years ago, and it's a nice way to rebind a key to the back for sure. That's why I jumped on the original Scuff pad when they came out and now I've got myself a brand new smokin' Pink Scuff Hybrid controller!

Will still be vastly superior to Valve's goofy concept for most games.

How much sense would it make to split up those paddles into two? So you'll have one button for each of your middle finger and ring finger.

Garcia

I remember only being able to get silver and then I looked around for some strategies and the one that I posted was what did it for me... if you get to the center and wreak havoc before they can spawn and get away, it makes it so you only have to deal with the stationary targets (and whatever they spawn). You should only have to throw the machette < 5 times or so... depending on how strong your regular slashes are from upgrades vs how much damage your throws do.

And yeah, those challenge achievements with the totems were a beast. It took me multiple tries and multiple strategies that I wouldn't normally use before I found things that worked for me. I still have one of them featured on my showcase on my profile page. :)

Hey, man, just wanted to tell you that your strategy worked like a charm. By my third try I had already conquered the Machete challenge. Thanks for the tip! =)

Hey, man, just wanted to tell you that your strategy worked like a charm. By my third try I had already conquered the Machete challenge. Thanks for the tip! =)

No problem. I know it worked for me. If you have trouble with any of the others, just ask me and I'll try to recall what I did for them all. :)

He's pretty good, I summoned my friend to tag along, then I just chill and watch two of them fight, and he beats my friend every time.

There's not a lot of honorably guys left, I once dueled with a guy in Havel armor, doesn't bow, doesn't let you buff, attacks immediately after the spawning animation ends. Talk about tryhards...

All you really need is Jester Thomas. Dude is OG.

Sajjaja

Ok, get your xbone controller and we can 3rd strike it up on GGPO.

I only got a Sixaxis which is why I was asking about the XBone controller for fighting games cause I can get it for like $40 or something.

EDIT: I wish Capcom would bring Third Strike Online Edition to PC....GGPO janky as fuck and a lobby and map selection would be fantastic.

The FPG is nice and all, but I rarely buy games on GOG so it's an empty gesture from my perspective.

It is a tough sell either way because you still need to actually pay that extra $21. So in a perfect world if you wanted those games... you would just choose to buy them like the rest of the world.

Garcia

Bastion just keeps getting better and better. The variety of weapons, abilities and upgrades are a great incentive for collect-o-maniacs like myself. The art direction is fantastic; every corner exhudes quality.

I'm also beginning to get used to the rolling-hammer-shotgun combo. 3 hits in a row dealing a good amount of damage.

One thing I wish was implemented in the game was the chance to instantaneously retry a level (especially for the weapon challenges). It's just a minor nuisance having to go back to the Bastion and re-enter a level.

I'm enjoying my time with the game a lot. It lives up to the massive hype. I'm currently gambling back and forth between Super House of Dead Ninjas and Bastion; both are amazing in their own way.

JaseC

It is a tough sell either way because you still need to actually pay that extra $21.

Yeah, but if, say, someone purchased from GOG as regularly as some of us here buy from Steam, they'd be able to just shrug it off as money they would have spent in the near future, anyway.

So in a perfect world if you wanted those games... you would just choose to buy them like the rest of the world.

I find it a little bizarre that CDPR is being forced into region-specific pricing by its marketing and distribution partners (Scamco in Australia's case) -- the game itself is being bankrolled internally so I'd long assumed that there'd be no Aussie Tax.

Garcia

Big sale on Civ V at Gamersgate, bought the final DLC I was missing.

Good prices, though I think I'll wait a little more to see if there's another Gold sale. Besides, I haven't find the time to sit down and play Civ V they way it deserves to be played.

Lomax

I find it a little bizarre that CDPR is being forced into region-specific pricing by its marketing and distribution partners (Scamco in Australia's case) -- the game itself is being bankrolled internally so I'd long assumed that there'd be no Aussie Tax.

I'd guess that while development is internally financed, they know for Witcher 3 to be the success they want, it needs a lot more marketing, and the distribution partners are probably handling and financing a lot of that. And the last thing those partners want is cheaper digital distribution undercutting their inflated retail prices.

Does GoG allow cross region gifting? If so, I have the 20% discount so I could help people buy at the $48 price if they really wanted.

JaseC

I'd guess that while development is internally financed, they know for Witcher 3 to be the success they want, it needs a lot more marketing, and the distribution partners are probably handling and financing a lot of that. And the last thing those partners want is cheaper digital distribution undercutting their inflated retail prices.

Sure, I understand that, but EA didn't force 38 Studios to Aussie Tax Kingdoms of Amalur, for example. CDPR's situation just seems at odds with previous cases of publishers only assisting in part.

Edit: Scratch that. Apparently the marketing budget is significantly larger than the development budget. I'd forgotten about that... despite posting in the thread, haha.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Step one, buy me Skullgirls.
Step two, play a good game instead.
Step three, now play SF3 Third Strike with me.

Or you could play these instead!

ModBot said:
Instructions for KenOD:
See chameleon laying there in the sun? Run. Run away.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Vanguard Princess #2 -- MB-6D551B51AACFDE4B - Taken by SeZMehK
Vanguard Princess -- MB-C24002B93DC8F6C5 - Taken by Spring-Loaded

I'm so sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom