• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

You know, recently we talked about how TitanFall sorta disappeared after its launch. You know what else disappeared? GTA Online. What's up with that? Is it still a thing? It was hyped a lot, then had a rough launch and I don't remember anything else.

I remember trying it, and not being that impressed with it, that combined with the server issues just meant I never went back. The death matches were just who spots who first thanks to aim assist and the racing was just everyone bashing into each other instead of actually racing.

Jawmuncher

GFWL is still up, I just started RE5 and it managed to sign in.

Has Capcom said anything about RE5 and Dead Rising in regards to patching out GFWL?

Pretty sure those are in the works. RE5 for sure at the very least.
I think MS is going to keep GFWL up but just barely.

Kyougar

They're both online, multiplayer games. Is there supposed to be 5 threads every day about the cool kills and what an incredible KD ratio one got in a match? GTA Online has more going on mechanically and in terms of the set up but I don't really get what you want to see in terms of visibility.

do we have some numbers? I also think that GTA online fell of the earth. Nothing to do with being an Online game.

People don't talk about them anymore. I don't mean KDR bragging, but there's no buzz. Especially compared how they were hyped up. They're like footnotes at this point. Just look at other popular MP games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when do we get more memory access in Transistor? I find myself very limited with what I can use atm, I cant even use passives in 2 of my spells atm

abracadaver

Today is my sixth year on Steam, and I remember an year ago I only have half the games I now own, you guys are a bad influence.

I know that feel. 9 years on steam and I went from 68 games to 154 this may. (Reason is I ordered an oculus rift and that got me back into PC gaming after 8 years on 360)

There's not much left I want to buy though. 15 games on my wishlist. I guess in 2 years I will still be below 200 in total.

Jawmuncher

Sounds like Milamber will be maming the best game ever now thanks to everyones input.

Edit:im noy even going to fix that typo.

Just last week was a long thread about how battlefield 4 is like a new game.

A thread. Online games aren't like single player titles where everyone and their mother makes a thread about their impressions. At least not months after launch.

Just don't think a dearth of threads or front page bumps means a game is dead.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
These new monthly threads are super slick.

I kinda wanna play this thing

There's nothing stopping you from playing right now. :)

It's F2P tho so it's probably evil

It's evil-ish. The free part only covers 1 rifle (with unlimited ammo), 2 animals (Mule deer and rabbits), and 1 hunting reserve. I don't know if they're planning on changing things for the Steam release, but that's the state of play right now.

The meat of the game can be munched in the following ways...

• Subscribe for 3, 6, or 12 months.
  • buy daily/weekly/monthly hunting licenses for specific animals, and weapons/ammo with em$ (In-game currency that costs real money)
  • buy daily/weekly/monthly hunting license for specific animals, and weapon/ammo with gm$ (A different kind of in-game currency you can earn by completing missions. There's only 1 weapon you can buy with gm$; a single-shot shotgun)
Here's the kind of prices you'd have to pay in the in-game voodoo currencies for rifle ammo, and for licenses.
Edit: You can check out the cost of everything in the store here: http://store.thehunter.com/#store/0 (I thought you had to sign-in to view it, but you don't)

I've put just shy of 700hrs into the game over the past year and would recommend that my fellow GAFfers give the freebie side of the game a try. It's not without its flaws (animals are pretty dumb so the game is arguably "easy", and animal render distance is short enough to more-or-less make bullet drop a non-issue for rifles) and it would probably bore the pants off many, but it's a fairly unique experience.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
welp, I got a feeling this mental image is going to end up in my dreams tonight

It's a Family Guy sketch.

http://youtu.be/JRkmOzvZ9nw

Sorry for the formatting, currently on mobile.

There's nothing stopping you from playing right now. :)

It's evil-ish. The free part only covers 1 rifle (with unlimited ammo), 2 animals (Mule deer and rabbits), and 1 hunting reserve. I don't know if they're planning on changing things for the Steam release, but that's the state of play right now.

The meat of the game can be munched in the following ways...

• Subscribe for 3, 6, or 12 months.
  • buy daily/weekly/monthly hunting licenses for specific animals, and weapons/ammo with em$ (In-game currency that costs real money)
  • buy daily/weekly/monthly hunting license for specific animals, and weapon/ammo with gm$ (A different kind of in-game currency you can earn by completing missions. There's only 1 weapon you can buy with gm$; a single-shot shotgun)
Here's the kind of prices you'd have to pay in the in-game voodoo currencies for rifle ammo, and for licenses.

I've put just shy of 700hrs into the game over the past year and would recommend that my fellow GAFfers give the freebie side of the game a try. It's not without its flaws (animals are pretty dumb so the game is arguably "easy", and animal render distance is short enough to more-or-less make bullet drop a non-issue for rifles) and it would probably bore the pants off many, but it's a fairly unique experience.

Huh, I was waiting for this to release. Thanks for the heads up and impressions!

A thread. Online games aren't like single player titles where everyone and their mother makes a thread about their impressions. At least not months after launch.

Just don't think a dearth of threads or front page bumps means a game is dead.

Who's talking about them being dead, who's talking about first page bumps?

All I'm saying is, despite the hype they're disappeared from gaming discussion both from gamers and the media. There's simply no buzz. When Modern Warfare launched it was a talking point for a long time mainly for its MP. Dota is still a talking point. Everyone talks how CS:GO turned itself around. Riot likes to remind people how popular LoL is etc There's just nothing regarding TF or GTAO. The publishers aren't bragging (save for T2 exec about microtransactions), the players aren't making a fuss. There's no news circulation. They just came and went.

Tizoc

Everytime I think of dinosaurs, I think of Denver the last dino. Heck, I'll draw up a 90's style serious dino.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0aTPc66lfk

While you're at it, toss in Dr. Dinosaur
DESTi.jpg

TguZf.jpg

1YnJZ.jpg

Who's talking about them being dead, who's talking about first page bumps?

All I'm saying is, despite the hype they're disappeared from gaming discussion both from gamers and the media. There's simply no buzz. When Modern Warfare launched it was a talking point for a long time mainly for its MP. Dota is still a talking point. Everyone talks how CS:GO turned itself around. Riot likes to remind people how popular LoL is etc There's just nothing regarding TF or GTAO. The publishers aren't bragging (save for T2 exec about microtransactions), the players aren't making a fuss. There's no circulation.

Just seems like you don't really look for discussion about them. I haven't read a single thing about Counter Strike: GO since launch but I'm not going to say the game is no longer being played or talked about because I don't care about it. And the T2 exec's comment implied they've made more money from the microtransactions than most AAA games make on their own so one imagines at least a few people have to be playing.

And no online FPS game has been talked about as much as the original Modern Warfare. It was everywhere.

Kiru

I won the Deus Ex Human Revolution raffe!! Thank you danielcw. Also thanks to BorntoPlay
& Giard who made the raffle possible. I never played a Deus Ex title before. Looking forward to play it whenever I build my PC (hurry up Intel & nvidia)

Is it necessary to play the first 2 Deus Ex before this one ?

Tizoc

Great. Did the old games age well ? I'm having problems right now enjoying Tomb Raider 1. That game really has annoying controls, but I will still finish my Tomb Raider Collection on Steam. Gotta defeat the backlog :D

Play Tomb Raider Anniversary instead which is a 'remake' of TR1.
Human Revolution was released years after Deus Ex 1 and is its prequel. You don't have to play Deus Ex 1 first, but the very first game is considered the best in the series.

That's a pretty big cock...
He's from Texas.
Great. Did the old games age well ? I'm having problems right now enjoying Tomb Raider 1. That game really has annoying controls, but I will still finish my Tomb Raider Collection on Steam. Gotta defeat the backlog :D
I'd say the first Deus Ex has aged quite a bit better than the first Tomb Raider. You can play it looking as is, or there're some texture mods you can use to help with the graphics some if they're too dated for you. I think the things that might be toughest to adjust to is the level design and maybe the mechanics in general. They're a little more complex than we're used to these days. Totally enjoyable after you adjust though.

Durante

i dunno, maybe when the ot's up i'll investigate further but you're not really telling me much :/

i mean the shit you're saying could be valid for project eternity too since that game is basically a ball of designer crushes mixed in one i guess, but like the torment game has the crisis thing and a cool universe, so what's cool about it is immediately apparent

i wish i could get that for divinity
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm incredibly hyped about Eternity as well, but to tell the truth Eternity is a far less ambitious game overall. It "only" seeks to recreate Baldur's Gate.

On the other hand, Divinity: OS tries to create a seamless open world game which combines the incredible interactivity and situational options of Ultima 7 with the depth of the greatest turn-based combat games like Temple of Elemental Evil. It's almost preposterous how much they are trying to do, and surprising how well it has worked out.

Really, that this game is flying under the radar as low as it is is one of the greatest crimes against gaming.

if you guys wanna get srs about that stuff this stick can be found on sale for like $50 or less a lot

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M23RAC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and it's totally fine, and easily moddable

ZBkH4.jpg

you might wanna get the 360 version though. I got the PS3 one and while it recognizes most fighting games on PC just fine, it has some issues with others.
I have that stick (for the reasons you mentioned) and it's for PS3, never had an issue using it on PC

Kiru

Play Tomb Raider Anniversary instead which is a 'remake' of TR1.
Human Revolution was released years after Deus Ex 1 and is its prequel. You don't have to play Deus Ex 1 first, but the very first game is considered the best in the series.

Yeah I played the demo of that some time ago. People suggest playing it instead, but I normally don't have problems with old games. Just this one is kinda clunky to control and also runs in stupid DOSBox. I use a keyboard btw, makes it even worse, but I'm already halfway through, going to finish it after spending 9 hours with it. :D

I don't have the old Deus Ex. Might get them in a sale somewhere.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

The first game is still playable if you install some mods to update the textures and related aspects. Some of the writing leaves a bit to be desired though. The sequel, Invisible war, is fundamentally an awful game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom