• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruteUA

Hey GAF! Everything's gone to shit and I'm poor as fuck! Facilitate my delirum-induced purge of all material possessions by winning some Steam keys, huh?

Well since you asked so nicely, and you seem to really need the help, I went ahead and took The Swapper off your hands for you. Unfortunately my sincerest thanks hold no monetary value, but you have them anyway!

edit - It was previously activated, thanks anyway!

nexen

Thanks for War of the Human Tanks, Lord British!
I knew there was a reason I rescued you from Blackthorne's magical prison!

Outside of, perhaps, for those of us seeking exactly that kind of challenge in a game and a developer who wants to pay tribute to that style. Yes I would have been fine with an optional mode available right from the start for this hard mode as the "go to, normal" version of the game and an easier more check-point set-up for those that wanted it, but most games that start off with that plan quickly lose the old-school style in the process and so we don't get that many of these of this level of quality.

Let's be fair here, there is no "need" to make any game any kind of way, be it quick death to /start over from the beginning like Völgarr or the MegaDrive games it's based on or where doesn't matter and you instantly respawn like Kirby Epic Yarn or something existing between the two. While you may not care for it, I certainly do appreciate I can still buy a title like Völgarr and have it be fully and unabashedly this style and built for this purpose, because while I might not need it, developers don't make too many of these games any more and I still want them. You are far more likely to come across a title that is exactly what you are looking for, even if you don't need it, than I am here again of this quality of a game.
All fair points, but I think you're selling Volgarr short if you think the main reason it's good is because of its difficulty. Volgarr is great for many, many reasons. So, no, there aren't many other games on Steam that are similar/comparable in terms of quality.

Lomax

Holy mother of giveaways O.O that's pretty awesome and generous :) Thanks for Dirt 2, now I have the full set.

So, playing bundle trash for Playfire rewards, I start up Street Racing Syndicate and I find myself wondering how on earth this game still exists. Every car is licensed, takes damage, and is in an awful game largely about illegal street racing. How do they still have licenses for this ten year old game when it seems like quality games lose theirs quickly?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hey GAF! Everything's gone to shit and I'm poor as fuck! Facilitate my delirum-induced purge of all material possessions by winning some Steam keys, huh?

Hope things turn around for the better mate, and in the short term you've brought a lot of joy to us with this giveaway. Thanks for Titan Attacks.

Has anyone tried Floating Point yet? Tom Francis, creator of Gunpoint, put it out today for free.

Aye I have and as I said earlier in this thread, it's a good simple concept that offers a good amount of depth in figuring out how best to play it between the swinging, floating, and rebounding due to the tenseness.

I wish there was a time trial mode, but as is as fast or as slow as one wants it to be, it's a good relaxing game to just play for simple gaming pleasure if it's one's kind of thing.

Not as far as I'm aware.

Thanks.

All fair points, but I think you're selling Volgarr short if you think the main reason it's good is because of its difficulty. Volgarr is great for many, many reasons. So, no, there aren't many other games on Steam that are similar/comparable in terms of quality.

Oh by no means do I think it's great only because of challenge. I love Völgarr's level design, enemies, artwork, the care put into timing and enemy patterns, hidden power up item, and the smartly designed armour system as well as how much it holds true to the MegaDrive game it's so heavily inspired from. However one of the main reasons I bought it, one of the main reasons I went into it, is because it's a great game with this exact type of challenge and it wouldn't be as enjoyable to me without it.

Salsa

missed the boat on those splatter cards, boo

now they're all regular price

maybe stump can do something retroactively to the giveaway British

I just mean something that supposedly represents what gaming "should" be, I guess. My point is that arcade games were designed to get your money. Are they still awesome? Yes. And so is Volgarr. But let's not pretend there were ever "pure," altruistic reasons for the way arcade games were designed. Volgarr is not an arcade game and doesn't require a cent to play beyond the initial cost of buying the game, so there's no need for it to be designed exactly like a quarter-muncher. We've had 30 years to evolve beyond that mechanism and understand its benefits and flaws.
I would argue that it is a pure gaming mechanism by that definition. Designed around offering a challenge that is satisfying to overcome, what isn't pure about that?

Arcade games, like anything else, had a range of qualities to them. There were quarter munchers in the sense that they simply aimed to make you progress by making you dump your cash, but those didn't really have long legs and weren't very good. The culture around 1CCing comes out of good design, both in offering the fairness while still being challenging and fun enough to strive towards it. It doesn't simply revolve around arcade games either, what were console games of that time? Is Mega Man a quarter muncher?

Volgarr is very generous in how it handles restarts. If you're just playing it to finish a playthrough, you don't have any game overs or lives to worry about and can continue infinitely. Once you've gotten to the mid-stage checkpoint you can continue from there until you quit the game. After you've unlocked a new stage, you can start your game there. Something to consider about starting from the beginning of stages is that with your newfound mastery, acquiring the power-ups actually make things even easier for you going forward.

But I agree, there's no reason to design a game as a quarter muncher, especially in this day and age. Volgarr however isn't designed like one.

chronomac

Aye I have and as I said earlier in this thread, it's a good simple concept that offers a good amount of depth in figuring out how best to play it between the swinging, floating, and rebounding due to the tenseness.

I wish there was a time trial mode, but as is as fast or as slow as one wants it to be, it's a good relaxing game to just play for simple gaming pleasure if it's one's kind of thing.

Didn't see your earlier post. Thanks for the impressions. I'm going to play it when I get home, but I was curious if anyone else had heard of it. Do you know if he plans on expanding it out to a full game?

vermadas

I've been lazy about posting spare keys from the last few Humble Bundles I've purchased. The timing on this post has absolutely nothing to do with the Transistor / Dark Souls 2 Season Pass giveaway.
Honest!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 30 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FieldRunners -- MB-A60AB707BB0CB635
Bastion -- MB-7B9006A392B495BE - Taken by fuzzy123. 3 entrants total.
Strike Suit Zero -- MB-58ACF2EDFAD5BCB0 - Taken by Blue Ninja. 6 entrants total.
Serious Sam 3: BFE -- MB-91722EFEB52E270B - Taken by Jag. 2 entrants total.
HOARD -- MB-2655D2833CC45517
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-DBA66733BC10F79C
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-0DA295EAEB8F48F2 - Taken by PinkCrayon. 2 entrants total.
Dead Space -- MB-E396E2622F3A45F2
Little Inferno -- MB-5DD127CD0A3AD274
Revenge of the Titans -- MB-03CA35D95B3171EA - Taken by Jmanunknown. 2 entrants total.
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-8BF9646AF20C74FF
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-B699E365CF9F0AC0 - Taken by oipic. 4 entrants total.
Starseed Pilgrim -- MB-F5592FF60BF7B989
Batman: Arkham City GOTY -- MB-6E389409A40A5D37 - Taken by pupo. 5 entrants total.
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-244E03968BBA047E - Taken by Garteal. 1 entrants total.
Dwarfs!? -- MB-29CC1EFA1D44FDF9
Ittle Dew -- MB-063E1961FC2523D9 - Taken by Waku. 2 entrants total.
Joe Danger 2: The Movie -- MB-75B5AB4E261F5650 - Taken by SaveFerris. 4 entrants total.
Zeno Clash -- MB-70A9EF15FAAE764A
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-003351C22652BA51 - Taken by devo1989. 2 entrants total.
Frozen Synapse -- MB-2F844FC3F0DF9DE6
FEZ -- MB-BE68B2E3164C2348 - Taken by plc268. 2 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-7DD67188005FF647
The Swapper -- MB-09E78EF2E6A62EF4 - Taken by Lord British. 4 entrants total.
Magicka Plus 2 DLC -- MB-F576DAD4BD669D1D - Taken by Henry Swanson. 1 entrants total.
Mirror's Edge -- MB-B5B0B0CE2D7DFD82 - Taken by Eklesp. 1 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-A2F6ACB79080D529 - Taken by chronomac. 1 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! GOTY -- MB-9A7413F032DF78F8 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 1 entrants total.
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien -- MB-2A49206B1FEA5604 - Taken by grindamasta. 4 entrants total.
Galcon Fusion -- MB-E782E9C354B1B969 - Taken by drakaenae. 4 entrants total.

t1402086829z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow these Angry Birds Space trading cards are dropping SUPER slow. 4.2 hours in and I still have one drop remaining.

I quit playing because trying to use the mouse to do some of those more complicated swaps was seemingly impossible.
Once I could use a controller, I plowed through the game with the only limiter being puzzle complexity, not input method.

I played exclusively with the controller, and I totally agree that it never once felt like an impediment. My brain, though, never stops feeling like one.

But I agree, there's no reason to design a game as a quarter muncher, especially in this day and age. Volgarr however isn't designed like one.
The developer says otherwise.

Q: Why not just have a "normal" save system?

Several reasons.

One major reason is to better emulate an arcade-like experience. This game was not intended to be played in long marathon sessions, nor was it intended that once you had completed something you would never see it again.

Think back to actual arcades - typically, you'd show up with a few bucks in quarters, play for maybe an hour, and then leave for the day. Next visit to the arcade, you'd have to start over, but would probably get further than last time. Eventually after several visits you could beat the game, and if you liked it enough, even get good enough to beat it on a single credit.

That's how Volgarr was meant to be played, in 15-60 minute sessions, each time starting over at the beginning and getting better at the early stages and giving you more time to spend on the later ones.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/247240/discussions/0/846966336363408466/

Not sure if the link will work - my previous links defaulted to a main screen. If this doesn't take you to the thread, go to the Steam forum for the game.

BruteUA

If a Humble Steam key is already activated (redeemed to your account, whatever), they still allow a gift link to be generated? Or have I just gotten
un
lucky and encountered a bug?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Didn't see your earlier post. Thanks for the impressions. I'm going to play it when I get home, but I was curious if anyone else had heard of it. Do you know if he plans on expanding it out to a full game?

Firmly in the way of being a prototype and he feels like it's done all he was seeking it for, an exercise to complete. I asked if he might ever come back to it and he said it's possible, but not to really expect anything.
He has a few videos talking about it's design that's worth watching. http://www.pentadact.com/2014-05-08-designing-floating-point-part-1/

He has another game he is doing a prototype for called Heat Signature and that's where most of his effort toward making a game is going. http://www.pentadact.com/tag/heat-signature/
Really quite fascinating to see how one man goes through conceiving and creating a game.

chronomac

Firmly in the way of being a prototype and he feels like it's done all he was seeking it for, an exercise to complete. I asked if he might ever come back to it and he said it's possible, but not to really expect anything.
He has a few videos talking about it's design that's worth watching. http://www.pentadact.com/2014-05-08-designing-floating-point-part-1/

He has another game he is doing a prototype for called Heat Signature and that's where most of his effort toward making a game is going. http://www.pentadact.com/tag/heat-signature/
Really quite fascinating to see how one man goes through conceiving and creating a game.
Absolutely. I watched that 11+ minute video on Floating Point and found it fascinating, watching the game evolve over a short time. I'm going to bookmark that link for later. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom