• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hopefully this will work now.

Worked just fine for me, thanks for Dead Bits. I always wanted to destroy voxel based creatures with a sub-machine gun.

Shame about the dubstep, but oh well, that's why they invented a mute button.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lords of Shadow 2 got a price drop in euroland, was 39.99 now its 29.99€, bodes well for a sale

nexen

I think it's fun, but I agree with you to an extent.

The checkpoint system sucks. I've read the developer's reason for it. I don't care. I think someone on the Steam Forum suggested that the current game should become an optional "hardcore mode" with the regular game getting more balanced checkpoints. I agree wholeheartedly. The dev says he wants to create the feel of an arcade game. The problem is, those games were designed to be brutal so they could get more of your quarters. Let's not act like that was ever a "pure" gaming mechanism worth putting up on a pedestal.

Yes. This exactly. It is a shame because it is tickling all the right nostalgia besides that. I'm just too old for this shit now.

Fair enough, if you're not liking it you're not liking it.
That is the real tragedy. I really want to like it.

Nabs

I think it's fun, but I agree with you to an extent.

The checkpoint system sucks. I've read the developer's reason for it. I don't care. I think someone on the Steam Forum suggested that the current game should become an optional "hardcore mode" with the regular game getting more balanced checkpoints. I agree wholeheartedly. The dev says he wants to create the feel of an arcade game. The problem is, those games were designed to be brutal so they could get more of your quarters. Let's not act like that was ever a "pure" gaming mechanism worth putting up on a pedestal.

The first half of every level is super easy once you get to the checkpoint. Getting back to the mid-point only takes a minute after that first time. I honestly don't see an issue with the save system.

Dambrosi

Banned
*drum rolls*...

Decided to pick up Banished as well, since it came second in my poll. Was going to buy Grim Dawn for myself but I was feeling extra generous for some reason :p

Only thing I ask of you is to enter for a game that you really want and are going to play. These are no cheap bundlegames so being greedy and grabbing them just for card drops or to look at their pretty icons in your grid view is not a nice thing to do. Also, like the rules are stating, please don't give them to friends or trade them. I put the Mega-Giver rule to especially thank members who have given away many games. Just be cool and enjoy. Good Luck ;)

About the Dark Souls II season pass. It's ok if you don't have the game but plan to pick it up soon and play the game before the DLCs come out. There are a lot of dedicated Dark Souls II players here that would appreciate the season pass, so if you are not very interested in it, it would be good if you let them claim it instead
You are amazing. Rest assured that, should I win, that shit's getting redeemed at Dark Speed. Thank you so much for this giveaway.

nexen

The first half of every level is super easy once you get to the checkpoint. Getting back to the mid-point only takes a minute after that first time. I honestly don't see an issue with the save system.

You are much harder core than me :(

Me either. If you grew up in the 8/16 bit era then you feel right at home. Games didn't have save points and would expect you to finish them in one sitting most of the time. Sometimes, they let you use passwords to get back to where you were.

I mean, this is a game that advertised itself as a modern genesis/mega drive action game. The save system is exactly what I would expect from that game given the intent.

you can totally tell who has been babied by more modern games when they complain about this game's save system : P

pahamrick

Unmechanical Desura -- MB-76D07A18E77A95ED
Tiny and BIg in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-B702470F203D2B5A - Taken by EzioCroft
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe Desura -- MB-A8F9B1826469FB39

Alright, items still left!

JakeD

the fun in volgarr is that you pretty much have to be perfect on a bunch of obstacles consecutively. when you get towards the end and you fail, it's controller throwing time, because you know you have to do it all over again. it's also what makes it so satisfying when you get it.

the challenge isn't the obstacles, it's the fact that you have to get in a rhythm and nail a bunch of them in a row to progress. more checkpoints would make it too easy, imo

nexen

I'm not. People overrate the difficulty like they do with Dark Souls. It's just a matter of giving it a bit of time.

I gave it hours. It rewarded my efforts with tears. I just don't find it fun to beat my head against the wall like that. Dark Souls rewarded me more for the time I spent.

What is a pure gaming mechanism?
I just mean something that supposedly represents what gaming "should" be, I guess. My point is that arcade games were designed to get your money. Are they still awesome? Yes. And so is Volgarr. But let's not pretend there were ever "pure," altruistic reasons for the way arcade games were designed. Volgarr is not an arcade game and doesn't require a cent to play beyond the initial cost of buying the game, so there's no need for it to be designed exactly like a quarter-muncher. We've had 30 years to evolve beyond that mechanism and understand its benefits and flaws.

Once you master an area, it's cake. But it takes many deaths and much trial and error to get to that point.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well I'm seeing 2 listings at the moment. Bog standard vanilla LoS2 @ £29.99 and a digital bundle with seems to have all the preorder DLC and is £5 cheaper @ £24.99.

I was going by my wishlist. on the store, they are both 29.99€ but the digital bundle says it contains.... just vanilla LoS2? lol

anyway, still bodes well for a sale. ill pick it up with just 50% now

I gave it hours. It rewarded my efforts with tears. I just don't find it fun to beat my head against the wall like that. Dark Souls rewarded me more for the time I spent.
Some strategies I've developed:

- Use the left shoulder button (I may be misremembering the button) to zoom out the level briefly. You can always activate a mode that keeps it permanently zoomed out, but that looks like shit to me and is unnecessary IMO when the functionality is available temporarily with the push of a button. This helps with off-screen enemies and tricky jumps.

- Use the spear as a weapon to get those enemies above you or at a distance. (BTW, if you have enough armor, you can hold down the button for the spear to unleash a more powerful attack.)

- You don't have to attack/kill every single enemy. If you can avoid them by moving forward, do so.

Nabs

I just mean something that supposedly represents what gaming "should" be, I guess. My point is that arcade games were designed to get your money. Are they still awesome? Yes. And so is Volgarr. But let's not pretend there were ever "pure," altruistic reasons for the way arcade games were designed. Volgarr is not an arcade game and doesn't require a cent to play beyond the initial cost of buying the game, so there's no need for it to be designed exactly like a quarter-muncher. We've had 30 years to evolve beyond that mechanism and understand its benefits and flaws.

Once you master an area, it's cake. But it takes many deaths and much trial and error to get to that point.

Volgarr isn't designed like a quarter-muncher. You can warp to levels you've reached, and that mid-level checkpoint is alive as long as your game is up. You'd have a point if the game gave you limited lives and forced you to restart from the beginning after death.

Honestly, if you're having that much trouble with the opening stage, there's a chance you're missing something. I don't know when you last played it, but they recently updated the default control scheme to include dedicated roll and spear buttons. That can help a bunch.

Dr Dogg

I was going by my wishlist. on the store, they are both 29.99€ but the digital bundle says it contains.... just vanilla LoS2? lol

anyway, still bodes well for a sale. ill pick it up with just 50% now

Huh? That's odd. Well according to the db entry for me it shows the base game plus an Armoured Dracula Costume, a Dark Dracula Costume and a Relic Rune Pack as well coming to a total of 4 items. Sounds like the accessories you'd get with an action figure.

Seeing as it was discounted in Amazon.com a while back I'd say it's a cert to be on the cards for a generous sale.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Rhaknar

lol at the NOT ON STEAM tab in the GMG sale

Volgarr isn't designed like a quarter-muncher. You can warp to levels you've reached, and that mid-level checkpoint is alive as long as your game is up. You'd have a point if the game gave you limited lives and forced you to restart from the beginning after death.
You make some valid points, but I'm just going by what the developer has said. He has compared it to an arcade game.

It's in one of these threads:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/247240...6336363408466/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/247240...1859378135691/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/247240...65056727179788

Honestly, if you're having that much trouble with the opening stage, there's a chance you're missing something. I don't know when you last played it, but they recently updated the default control scheme to include dedicated roll and spear buttons. That can help a bunch.
I was wondering why I could suddenly roll. I thought I had missed something before. :)

bla
ModBot said:
Instructions for Da DreadLord:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Miasmata -- MB-D09C80007591725C - Taken by Dambrosi. 6 entrants total.

t1402086002z1.png

nexen

I'll give it a try again. It isn't like it is a large download.
Just the pain/pleasure ratio completely misses the sweet spot for me.

Hey GAF! Everything's gone to shit and I'm poor as fuck! Facilitate my delirum-induced purge of all material possessions by winning some Steam keys, huh?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 229 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Edit: Giveaway over! Back soon with more!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is there a limit to the amount of groups one can join on Steam?

Volgarr is not an arcade game and doesn't require a cent to play beyond the initial cost of buying the game, so there's no need for it to be designed exactly like a quarter-muncher.

Outside of, perhaps, for those of us seeking exactly that kind of challenge in a game and a developer who wants to pay tribute to that style. Yes I would have been fine with an optional mode available right from the start for this hard mode as the "go to, normal" version of the game and an easier more check-point set-up for those that wanted it, but most games that start off with that plan quickly lose the old-school style in the process and so we don't get that many of these of this level of quality.

Let's be fair here, there is no "need" to make any game any kind of way, be it quick death to /start over from the beginning like Völgarr or the MegaDrive games it's based on or where doesn't matter and you instantly respawn like Kirby Epic Yarn or something existing between the two. While you may not care for it, I certainly do appreciate I can still buy a title like Völgarr and have it be fully and unabashedly this style and built for this purpose, because while I might not need it, developers don't make too many of these games any more and I still want them. You are far more likely to come across a title that is exactly what you are looking for, even if you don't need it, than I am here again of this quality of a game.

Salsa

I *think* the giveaway not being a free for all means 229 different users have to get one game each? wonder if it makes it :p

Rhaknar

thanks for Ravaged, missed it everytime back in the day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom