• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the game. Dark Souls 2 will show you a recent list of players from the overlay. SFIV doesn't seem to have it enabled, so you'll have to add the person from the Win/Loss screen or the lobby. I don't know why devs can't do it like Treyarch and have it right in your friends list.

Crap... I didn't know I could add them from the lobby... too late now, I guess.

Benedict

The Guild 2 Collection -- MB-B797A6A003163ECF
Unmechanical Desura -- MB-76D07A18E77A95ED
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe Desura -- MB-A8F9B1826469FB39
Tiny and BIg in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-B702470F203D2B5A - Taken by EzioCroft
Ultionus Desura -- MB-ADDE67B52BBFA955

Some items still left. Don't leave em hanging!

I've tried entering for The Guild2 several times now, but all I throw at modbot seems to now work. I must have done something evil...

Salsa

rogue legacy is OK but overrated as hell

something about the way it controls or the hitboxes or something really bothers me

I played it and enjoyed it but man its not at all the second coming some people make it out to be, and there's people saying it's better than spelunky and that's just some bullshit

Nabs

rogue legacy is OK but overrated as hell

something about the way it controls or the hitboxes or something really bothers me

I played it and enjoyed it but man its not at all the second coming some people make it out to be, and there's people saying it's better than spelunky and that's just some bullshit

When are you going to finish Volgarr? Don't let the second stage stop you (this goes for everyone here).

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Risen -- MB-4FCF0E08F904D999 - Taken by Gurkenmeister
Tiny and Bigs in Grampa's Leftovers -- MB-C9300D56AB4FD27B - Taken by Berto
The Book of Unwritten Tales Digital Deluxe Edition -- MB-80DF6BB477219545 - Taken by Majukun
Galaxy On Fire 2 Full HD -- MB-900C6DECD4229A76 - Taken by Halo 2
ArcaniA -- MB-4F92D53AB3360081 - Taken by yoshizzle
Beatbuddy Tale Of The Guardians -- MB-DB7B31D945DB4D94 - Taken by spindoctor

In the celebration of the weekend, have fun with these

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I can see people who love Spelunky not digging Rogue Legacy, and vice versa. I think it really comes down to your need to see numbers go up and feel character development and power that way, or if you prefer to just develop personal skill. I'd imagine for people who are great at Spelunky, the need to grind in Rogue Legacy subverts their own feelings of ability. Whereas people who love Rogue Legacy progression die in Spelunky and it feels like it was pointless.

Am I the only one that didn't go out of my way to grind in Rogue Legacy? I just played the game.

While I can easily understand how one can see the game and feel a need for grinding is there (just like Dark Souls/Demon's Souls, Iga Castlevanias, various turn based RPGs, and the like) it really isn't and I believe that mistaken sense of "I have to grind in order to get anywhere" hurts the game more than anything in the game.

To quote myself from an experiment I did last December.

Just the other day I set up a new profile for Rogue Legacy in which I am ignoring the Manor (purchase upgrades for stats) save for increasing the amount of armour I can equip, the Smitty (to get armour and weapons), and the Enchantress to use the runes. All of which takes very little money that I easily get without really going out of my way to get gold due to my nature of "kill everything".
My plan and purpose is to see how far into the game I can get without "grinding" for gold and the like to get those stat increases, instead focusing only on improving my skill in the game and just using what is found in the castle instead. Chests with stats increase, special items from praying at an alter, armour and weapon unlocks, etc are the only increase I am using just as though it was a 16-bit game beyond the three things I unlocked in the Manor mentioned above.

What I've found is that it is entirely playable this way, with every area still open to reach despite the characters being much weaker than I would be if I was "grinding" to get all those stats and character classes. A standard knight can make his/her way through the tower, castle, dungeon, and forest and survive with most every spell (some better than others) even without runes, and then runes just making it easier/more fun. I wish my knight could do more at times, but I also wish Simon Belmont could whip diagonally in those early games.
Each of the bosses have rather basic and easy to plot movements and attacks. It took longer that I imagined, but each of them fell eventually even with those weak attacks and small pool of mana to attack with (except the dungeon one, due to the constant potion bottles being dropped). It was no worse than any NES/Mega Drive Castlevania.

Without the benefit of a much higher health points or magic bar or special classes that can take better damage or naturally faster or special abilities like mist form I was left really with just focusing on skills such as best use of a sword swing hitting enemies from behind, the drop down attack manoeuvre, and being good with those sub-weapons. Runes had to be selected better because I couldn't depend on living that long if I was hurt often, so avoidance became a key tactic with dash and double jump and sometimes the glide which I had all but ignored in the "grind" play through.
Aye one can argue against having to enter a new castle constantly just to build up all those items in chests and focus too much, but that is going to be dependent on the perception one has of them, if they are "needed" or "a nice thing to make the game easier". I choose the later and just finding them eventually, even though I died a lot, as just a normal part of me trying to clear out the castle and having fun getting to the bosses.

I'm not saying this type of play through would help anyone who wasn't a fan of it in the first play through with it's obvious intended play style of course, which I talked about in a previous post about why comparing it to Speunky and the like doesn't fit with me, but instead that after experimenting it is entirely possible to play the game in a different way that doesn't focus on those issues. I think the best comparison is Hard Corps: Uprising which offered a way to play it in standard Contra style and than a RPG build up style, I could do either and enjoy them for both purposes. I didn't need to "fill bars" or unlock everything to make it through most of the game (I've only just beat the 4th boss) and yet I'm still having fun.

Of course I do understand that the harder difficulty of such a self-chosen play through would put other people off and others who didn't care for the basic systems and mechanics of Rogue Legacy in the first place the lack of those extras will just highlight their announces more in the combat/enemies, but I like the game both ways I've played it and enjoy a good challenge.

Playing it purely just as you go, never really worrying about having to level up outside of maybe one or two things that look interesting or a desire to become the most powerful ever will get one through the game. Not in a Spelunky way of course, but in a Demon's Souls/Dark Souls way.
Playing it with only specific key abilities and nothing more, ignoring grinding all together after that, with finding runes in stages to help out or different weapons to use easily provided a game play experience that was all about growing in skill and ability and mastering what tools I had or choose rather than overpowering everything. Especially as I finally did beat the last boss with only a knight and double jump and dash, nothing more thanks to pattern recognition and I felt as accomplished as I did beating beating Olmec for the first time without any bombs and no jetpack.

With Spelunky I never feel like it's pointless, but it's quite understandable that some wouldn't want to feel like they didn't accomplish anything in a task. Likewise some do want to overpower everything and feel like they can conquer an army (be it Dark Souls or Final Fantasy or Dynasty Warriors or Steam Game Library Collection), and nothing wrong with that.

Two different games aye, but someone can easily enjoy both and I truly do believe they can share more in common than a lot of people believe, with Rogue Legacy just offering a couple different options and being more accessible to people. Though yes, I do believe Spelunky to be the better made game from a design stand point.

Super House of Dead Ninjas is also great, but I won't annoy people with yet another long post of why that's so great, but fans of Rogue Legacy and/or Spelunky should look into it.

Haha, there are indeed bosses. 4 or 5 of them, is my understanding. One in each "region" of the castle.

Aye a boss for each region, which can be beaten without being overpowered or grinding having been needed followed by a final rather tough boss even with a lot of skills and abilities opened up.

Then in a later update came the Neo versions of the region bosses, which you play with a set defined set of abilities as a character separate from your family line, with pre-defined stats and you must defeat them with that "limitation", being only about skill and ability then.
Quite fun and well rewarding to complete I believe for the so-called mastering of the game.

Majukun

I liked rogue legacy a lot,but i admit that most of the traits are useless,,developers could have done so much more with the concept

Salsa

When are you going to finish Volgarr? Don't let the second stage stop you (this goes for everyone here).

I'm playing it on and off, I'm not finding as much hard as it is a matter of memorizing your runs after dying a bunch (tho I guess that's hard, or at least harsh) . it's so systematic and set that the thing that makes you fail is if you get cocky and impatient. I like it

Enco

Rogue Legacy, The Swapper and pretty much every other indie game get played for 5 minutes to 1 hour tops and then I never touch them again.

Just too boring, repetitive or light on content.

jediyoshi

Rogue Legacy, The Swapper and pretty much every other indie game get played for 5 minutes to 1 hour tops and then I never touch them again.

Just too boring, repetitive or light on content.

Are all indie games sidescrolling platformers and puzzle games?

neoemonk

I never considered a split between Rogue Legacy people and Spelunky people, but if one exists I fall on the Rogue Legacy side. I played the Spelunky demo on Vita and it never grabbed me but I started having fun with Rogue Legacy right away.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm neutral, having played none of the games mentioned thus far on this page.

Edit: Risen aside, but the fact you have to manually sheath your weapon before interacting with objects grew too annoying. Petty, I know, but it's such a ridiculous oversight.

pahamrick

I've tried entering for The Guild2 several times now, but all I throw at modbot seems to now work. I must have done something evil...

Thats weird, I don't have any restrictions on the giveaway and no one has taken it. I can try nuking the remaining keys and making a new one.

pahamrick

Hopefully this will work now.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Guild 2 Collection -- MB-B797A6A003163ECF - Taken by Benedict
ulgzbKC.png
Unmechanical Desura -- MB-76D07A18E77A95ED
Tiny and BIg in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-B702470F203D2B5A - Taken by EzioCroft
ulgzbKC.png
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe Desura -- MB-A8F9B1826469FB39
Dead Bits -- MB-29011FAC5E0EFD65 - Taken by KenOD

Volgarr is too damned hard. I really want to be good at it because I love the art and premise, but I can't afford the time investment.
Volgarr took me about 12 hours to fully complete, meaning multiple playthroughs. It's a short game by all counts, so you could probably afford the time if you can play most anything else; it simply requires more effort which makes it feel longer than it is. You earn that playtime.

I'd recommend playing it zoomed out however.

nexen

Volgarr took me about 12 hours to fully complete, meaning multiple playthroughs. It's a short game by all counts, so you could probably afford the time if you can play most anything else; it simply requires more effort which makes it feel longer than it is. You earn that playtime.

I'd recommend playing it zoomed out however.

I just can't do it. The fun per hour ratio isn't right.
I want to because it looks sooo good.
But every time I try to play it I'm reminded why I stopped.

Tizoc

Sorry for asking again but I have an NVidia Card and want to know how I need to go about getting 60 FPS using NVidia Inspector in Murdered Soul Suspect.

Did Swapper get full gamepad support yet?

just after I bought PGP to get controller support for it back in Februrary or so, I think.

I can't imagine that being a good idea

you need to be pretty fast with that pointer

I quit playing because trying to use the mouse to do some of those more complicated swaps was seemingly impossible.
Once I could use a controller, I plowed through the game with the only limiter being puzzle complexity, not input method.

Salsa

this gamefly sale is pretty dope

tempted on Stick it to the man and Pixeljunk Monsters but it's probably smarter to wait for the summer sale anyway. think I have to go through a whole thing to buy outside the US too

Volgarr:
I think it's fun, but I agree with you to an extent.

The checkpoint system sucks. I've read the developer's reason for it. I don't care. I think someone on the Steam Forum suggested that the current game should become an optional "hardcore mode" with the regular game getting more balanced checkpoints. I agree wholeheartedly. The dev says he wants to create the feel of an arcade game. The problem is, those games were designed to be brutal so they could get more of your quarters. Let's not act like that was ever a "pure" gaming mechanism worth putting up on a pedestal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry for asking again but I have an NVidia Card and want to know how I need to go about getting 60 FPS using NVidia Inspector in Murdered Soul Suspect.

Follow these steps, open Nvidia Inspector, click the tool icon opposite "Driver Version", select Murdered: Soul Suspect from the drop-down list, find the "Vertical Sync" option and set it to "Force on".

Fair enough, if you're not liking it you're not liking it.

I think it's fun, but I agree with you to an extent.

The checkpoint system sucks. I've read the developer's reason for it. I don't care. I think someone on the Steam Forum suggested that the current game should become an optional "hardcore mode" with the regular game getting more balanced checkpoints. I agree wholeheartedly. The dev says he wants to create the feel of an arcade game. The problem is, those games were designed to be brutal so they could get more of your quarters. Let's not act like that was ever a "pure" gaming mechanism worth putting up on a pedestal.
What is a pure gaming mechanism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom