• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what did you think of DS3 or DS4 vs x360 controller?

first I gotta say I don't have any problems with any of those controllers, I've never complained about them but, imo XB1 controller > 360 - DS4 > DS3

my hands are kinda large so DS3 feel a bit uncomfortable, it also feel cheap because of the materials, but the dpad is really really good. DS4 is much much better than DS3, now it feels more comfortable in my hands, the dpad is still amazing, but it still feels "cheap" and that led light is annoying. the 360 controller is still amazing for PC gaming, the only flaw is its dpad, but that's the only thing I could tell about the negatives, the controller feels really good, I don't feel it's cheap as I feel when using DS3 or DS4. and well the XB1, at first it felt awkward, but the more I used it the more I liked it, the dpad is much better than the one in the 360 controller, not as good as Wii U Pro controller or DS3-4 but quite an improvement, which is good.

for those about to buy an XB1 controller, give it a little time, you will get used to it, and remember to use your finger knuckles when using the bumpers, that's the right position of the fingers when using it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, I didn't think to check GMG, but I've used up my credit so it's no big loss. For some reason GameFly's phone verification form wouldn't accept my mobile number so now I have to wait for a rep to confirm my order via e-mail. I hope I'm still entitled to the $11 price should the order not be processed before the hike.

Just checked my inbox and I received a key in the early hours of the morning. Huzzah!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I love the 360 controller (minus dpad) but mine got old and the big deadzone became bigger, and sticks loosening over time meant it also started getting a bit buggy with more sensitive games. I am super hype for a more precise xbone controller. My only worry is that they mentioned rubber. I've never had anything with with rubber that didn't expand and start coming off. And I really mean anything. Controller parts, keyboard pads, mouse parts, digital camera parts, cell phone port covers, bike handles, etc. I don't know if it's the climate where I live or what, but rubber always expands and starts popping off. I eventually have to cut the edges so it sets back down into its place, but by then the glue seal has already been compromised.

Anyways, hopefully Microsoft figured something out that others didn't with their rubber.

I love the 360 controller (minus dpad) but mine got old and the big deadzone became bigger, and sticks loosening over time meant it also started getting a bit buggy with more sensitive games. I am super hype for a more precise xbone controller. My only worry is that they mentioned rubber. I've never had anything with with rubber that didn't expand and start coming off. And I really mean anything. Controller parts, keyboard pads, mouse parts, digital camera parts, cell phone port covers, bike handles, etc. I don't know if it's the climate where I live or what, but rubber always expands and starts popping off. I eventually have to cut the edges so it sets back down into its place, but by then the glue seal has already been compromised.

Anyways, hopefully Microsoft figured something out that others didn't with their rubber.

if by the rubber you're talking about the sticks, you don't have to be afraid of that, they're awesome, plus iirc, they're not made of rubber

Knurek

Oh god, not only is Crimzon Clover god tier shmup (on par with Cave's finest work when it comes to explosions per second ratio), it dropped a foil for me.
Pretty much a free game, right? Right?

For people who are interested in boardgames, tabletop simulator has been updated with custom 3D model support. The devs are great and listen to the community and keep updating the game, very worth it in my opinion

Dice

if by the rubber you're talking about the sticks, you don't have to be afraid of that, they're awesome, plus iirc, they're not made of rubber
I mean the "soft rubber grips" which are probably inset. That is the kind of thing that usually expands, and thus doesn't fit in anymore and pops out. It may push over to create a lifted edge, or it may bubble and thus break the glue seal so it's loose. That's what other things have done.

Edit: This looks 100% plastic tho. So maybe that was an outdated idea they tried in R&D?

saunderez

For people who are interested in boardgames, tabletop simulator has been updated with custom 3D model support. The devs are great and listen to the community and keep updating the game, very worth it in my opinion
Pity about the implementation though. They tell you to upload an obj to Pastebin and link to the raw version of the file. Problem is, most objs I tested with are over the free Pastebin limit. No way in hell I'm paying for a Pastebin sub, and locally loading the models using a file:/// URL isn't working properly either.

Nabs

Sounds about right.... 100m in research and it still doesn't have a good d-pad. :D
Do you have both DS4 and xbone controllers? How do they compare for you?

I've only used the xbox one controller a couple of times. I prefer the DS4 d-pad, face buttons, and bumpers. I'm a fan of the Xbone triggers, rumble, and the sticks. The analog sticks I used were a bit on the loose end, but the actual sticks felt good.

Overall, I'm glad I went with the DS4. It definitely fits my playstyle more.

DDDC0B123126F378B5B5EF30FC5DBB64D3F7F728

gotta hate it when the golden door doesnt show up
While we're on the subject of Spelunky:

hickvx.gif

No, the jif is not sped up. Happened on a daily challenge too, just to randomly up the stakes.

Pity about the implementation though. They tell you to upload an obj to Pastebin and link to the raw version of the file. Problem is, most objs I tested with are over the free Pastebin limit. No way in hell I'm paying for a Pastebin sub, and locally loading the models using a file:/// URL isn't working properly either.

Didn't know about this problem, but if I'm not mistaken they're trying to improve the thing

also spares:
ModBot said:
Instructions for Snakethesniper:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fieldrunners -- MB-0D975E74822292C3 - Taken by Diedac. 2 entrants total.
Dust An Elysian Tail -- MB-F5CAD3EE7D1EF89D - Taken by Purkake4. 3 entrants total.
Aquaria -- MB-43110702EC58FC3F - Taken by intheinbetween. 5 entrants total.
Nightsky -- MB-3F7C5C6EC6508999 - Taken by _hekk05. 1 entrants total.

t1402142817z1.png

Tellaerin

Spelunky still ruined by that thing. Still mad they got my money.

I like to explore at a leisurely pace myself, but Spelunky just wouldn't be the same without the whole time pressure element. It forces you to think on your feet and balance caution and risk-taking in a way that just wouldn't happen if you had unlimited time to contemplate each level.

Dice

I like to explore at a leisurely pace myself, but Spelunky just wouldn't be the same without the whole time pressure element. It forces you to think on your feet and balance caution and risk-taking in a way that just wouldn't happen if you had unlimited time to contemplate each level.
Yeah, that's what everyone says, but fuck that.

Is there any reason why I should get a Xbox One controller or continue with my 360 one?
Is there anything about the 360 pad you don't like? The most common complaints are the dpad (especially if yours is the original) and large deadzones on the sticks. If you don't notice/care then there probably isn't much reason to upgrade. I doubt developers will put Xbone features like trigger haptics into PC ports. I've just been so done with the condition of my controller's sticks, so I've been waiting.

Spelunky still ruined by that thing. Still mad they got my money.

I know this discussion is old, but there is seriously not enough to do in a single Spelunky stage to even trigger the ghost unless you're going for a high score, where it's a requirement.

Dice

I know this discussion is old, but there is seriously not even enough to do in a single Spelunky stage to even trigger the ghost unless you're going for a high score, where it's a requirement.
Yeah, Spelunky players say that, but that is because everyone who has a different personality/way of enjoying games dropped Spelunky in disgust.

Benedict

New rewards for Playfire but I can't get Oil Rush to start.
Any fix?

Get this message:
Unigine fatal error: Steam must be running to play this game (steamAPI_init() failed).

Steam is running.

Edit:
Restart of steam fixed it.

saunderez

Didn't know about this problem, but if I'm not mistaken they're trying to improve the thing
I just don't understand why they designed the whole import mechanism to rely on URLs. It's terrible. Now that they've got Steamworks they need to have proper local file support and package and upload to Steam for distribution.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Be Mine 13 now has 8 bonuses instead of 7, and the first isnt even unlocked yet. So unless that mystery game is Skyrim or something that makes sales explode all of a something, these bonuses are a pipe dream

Be Mine 13 now has 8 bonuses instead of 7, and the first isnt even unlocked yet. So unless that mystery game is Skyrim or something that makes sales explode all of a something, these bonuses are a pipe dream

If they reach 15k bundles sold by sunday midnight PST, all bonuses will be unlocked. I don't have a direct source, just saw it on reddit.
But even that seems difficult.

Knurek

First one is unlocked already (some music album).
120 sales for the second one, 9 days left... Don't see a problem here - usually, further bonuses are not spaced apart like the first few.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If they reach 15k bundles sold by sunday midnight PST, all bonuses will be unlocked. I don't have a direct source, just saw it in reddit.
But even that seems difficult.

oh they'll go from 1 bonuses to just fuck it, unlock the rest next tier? thats one way to do it I guess :p

First one is unlocked already (some music album).
120 sales for the second one, 9 days left... Don't see a problem here - usually, further bonuses are not spaced apart like the first few.

most of the sales happen at the start, and by now journey of the roach would have been unlocked but they got greedy (I still dont know why, its a good bundle but it doesnt have anything in it that would make people run out and buy it) and made the next tier 12k, which was a huge jump from the first tier (which was what, 7k or something?). So hopefully they realised that they are not humble bundle and will make the next tiers much smaller increments

Vuze

Papo & Yo is so amazing. It looks great, gameplay is comfortable and setting as story are so well done imo.

Are there more games that make use of the Favela setting or similair locations? Only one I can think of that I've played is Max Payne 3 lol

Rhaknar

Papo & Yo is so amazing. It looks great, gameplay is comfortable and setting as story are so well done imo.

Are there more games that make use of the Favela setting or similair locations? Only one I can think of that I've played is Max Payne 3 lol

modern warfare 2? >_>

sheaaaa

Yeah, Spelunky players say that, but that is because everyone who has a different personality/way of enjoying games dropped Spelunky in disgust.

Nah you don't get the point of Spelunky. It's like being angry that you can't continue from where you die in Dark Souls. That's not what the game is about.

Knurek

Humble starting the trend without gifting was such a tremendously stupid move, as brief as it was.

BTW, JaseC, do try Crimzon Clover. You have no idea the amount of collectibles the game has (hundreds if not thousands each screen).
:p

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has a singleplayer level and a multiplayer level set in a Favela.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 also has a single player session set in one.

Dice

Nah you don't get the point of Spelunky. It's like being angry that you can't continue from where you die in Dark Souls. That's not what the game is about.
There is quite a large difference between not getting a game's philosophy and not liking it's philosophy.

JaseC

BTW, JaseC, do try Crimzon Clover. You have no idea the amount of collectibles the game has (hundreds if not thousands each screen).
:p

Haha, unfortunately shmups (which is fun to say) aren't my thing at all. I'll wait for a deeper discount before adding it to the pile.

Knurek

Haha, unfortunately shmups (which is fun to say) aren't my thing at all. I'll wait for a deeper discount before adding it to the pile.

Missed the pricing error? Pity...
It's published by Degica, so should be up in some bundle in two months or so, unless they only do so with RPG Maker games.

fantomena

The only reason I never try to get beta keys for MMOs these days is becauseI have to download yet another client just for that game.

JaseC

Missed the pricing error? Pity...
It's published by Degica, so should be up in some bundle in two months or so, unless they only do so with RPG Maker games.

Apparently it went up on the store at ~6am here. Curse you, weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom