• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
There is also a large difference between not liking a game and obnoxiously passing off a terrible opinion as fact.
Get over yourself. One doesn't need to put a "to me" qualifier on every single statement of preference. If you get a pizza you don't like you don't go "Some people may enjoy this pizza, but it is not for me" you simply say "This pizza tastes like shit." It is that way all the time everywhere except perhaps in regard to someone personally, so as to not to hurt their feelings over personal differences. Games are not people, so if you are offended that I don't like a game because of a gameplay flow choice in its design, and thus say it was ruined by that choice, that is a problem with you being overly sensitive, not me being out of line.

_hekk05

Banned
Eh to those wanting to buy an xbone controller cus of the sticks, I remember some hoohah about how there's a deadzone with the sticks.

jediyoshi

Get over yourself. One doesn't need to put a "to me" qualifier on every single statement of preference. If you get a pizza you don't like you don't go "Some people may enjoy this pizza, but it is not for me" you simply say "This pizza tastes like shit." It is that way all the time everywhere except perhaps in regard to someone personally, so as to not to hurt their feelings over personal differences. Games are not people, so if you are offended that I don't like a game because of a gameplay flow choice in its design, and thus say it was ruined by that choice, that is a problem with you being overly sensitive, not me being out of line.

'Get over yourself' is always the most effective way of telling someone to not take something personally.

sheaaaa

You say the pizza tastes like shit if you are obnoxious. You say you don't like the pizza if you're not.

Yeah, that's what everyone says, but fuck that.
Yeah, Spelunky players say that, but that is because everyone who has a different personality/way of enjoying games dropped Spelunky in disgust.

For example, the fuck is this? You don't say you dislike the game because the ghost forces you to move on, and prevents you exploring at your leisure. That's a fair point, albeit one I disagree with, that could be put across far less annoyingly.

After playing the demo I've finally picked up Fairy Bloom Freesia. This game has been sitting on my wishlist longer than any other game. Enjoyed the demo so it'll be nice to try out the full game now.

Tizoc

Gonna try and get those Stealth Bastard cheevos...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION Deluxe Edition -- MB-B64F4483536F6B37

t1402210719z1.png

Copons

Spare key from Bundle Central Debut.

There's a possibility it won't work as I think Steam said I already own it, but I skipped that message too fast to be sure, and in the account info there is NO Thunder Wolves at all (neither in the past, nor now), even tho I actually own it...
Don't know, but in case I'm sorry. :(

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Thunder Wolves -- MB-7AC66AD7D02F6E74

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
This seems really obvious in hindsight, but it is so much easier and more informative to browse GreenManGamings sales by going to isthereanydeal and bypassing their terrible, terrible website all together.

Here are all their deals, sorted by deepest cut first.

I really don't get why their "Hot Deals" page doesn't list every game with an active cut.

Salsa

yeah this is way better in local co-op

F5FD1C2FC8D25449A8E70EF152D24EEF5E64106E

after a while we ended up playing PixelJunk Shooter and RE6 tho

that god damn ridiculous RE6 splitscreen

derExperte

Eh to those wanting to buy an xbone controller cus of the sticks, I remember some hoohah about how there's a deadzone with the sticks.

Zero deadzone, tried it just now in the Windows properties of the controller. One tiny move and the gauge reacts. And a little deadzone wouldn't even be that terrible, a few games have problems when the stick wears out and you move involuntarily. Me and others had to bug the ESJ dev to integrate a bigger deadzone for example.

Salsa

Zero deadzone, tried it just now in the Windows properties of the controller. One tiny move and the gauge reacts. And a little deadzone wouldn't even be that terrible, a few games have problems when the stick wears out and you move involuntarily. Me and others had to bug the ESJ dev to integrate a bigger deadzone for example.

deadzone is the same, issues with the stick are entirely dependant on the controller you get

I had 2, old one was fine, new one tilts a bit to the left. It's annoying in games with very little deadzone where sometimes you let go of the stick and end up facing the other way.

the deadzone issue with the 360 pads remains with the xbone ones apparently, but it's not better nor worse

Dice

For example, the fuck is this? You don't say you dislike the game because the ghost forces you to move on, and prevents you exploring at your leisure. That's a fair point, albeit one I disagree with, that could be put across far less annoyingly.
Because it's pretty obvious that is why anyone would dislike the ghost, and Spelunky apologists have used the same arguments 1000 times to anyone who doesn't like it, as if missing incredibly obvious reasoning behind design choices is why they don't like it, and telling them will magically open their mind to the beauty and wonder that is Spelunky. It reminds me of Christians who go "Aren't you afraid of going to hell if you're wrong?" when they hear I don't believe in that stuff. The mechanics of the premise mean nothing if the orientation of my feelings simply do not fall in line.

So if I affirm the existence of these arguments, and rather than trying to reason them into being invalid, simply disregard them, I think it makes it pretty clear that I just don't like it rather than trying to argue it is somehow factually inferior design. Does that make sense? If I were trying to claim it were more than preference, would I not rather indulge the arguments, try to prove them false with my superior perspective? But I don't, because I know it isn't about superiority, just difference, and so by dropping the notions so flippantly I am communicating that I'm not interested in those arguments because my pass statements were preference and final regardless of the concepts behind the design.

Perhaps I expected too much. Either way, I still think this sort of obnoxiousness (blatant or insinuated)...
the only people who say the ghost in Spelunky is annoying are just people who havent played the game enough
...justifies an equally obnoxious response.

derExperte

deadzone is the same, issues with the stick are entirely dependant on the controller you get

I had 2, old one was fine, new one tilts a bit to the left. It's annoying in games with very little deadzone where sometimes you let go of the stick and end up facing the other way.

the deadzone issue with the 360 pads remains with the xbone ones apparently, but it's not better nor worse

Do the DS3 and DS4 have one integrated when connected to a PC?

Salsa

...justifies an equally obnoxious response.

it's not. not trying to be. The ghost is annoying if you go into the game expecting something else

if you say "oh I wanna explore" and suddenly "oh fuck this!"

but as you play, you realize, as been said, that the levels are designed entirely to be explored and beaten within the time you're given. It's not really a big "exploring" game at all. The ghost is crucial for the type of game it is.

if you don't like Spelunky, you don't like Spelunky, but it's because it's not the game you wanted it to be, not because the game would be better without the ghost. It would completely break the game and be boring as shit.

Dice

but as you play, you realize, as been said, that the levels are designed entirely to be explored and beaten within the time you're given. It's not really a big "exploring" game at all. The ghost is crucial for the type of game it is.
Again, that is only after you have made yourself comply with the way the game wants you to play. Not everyone wants the same pacing and style of play. A genuine disagreement is genuine, not a simple misjudgement of perspective.

if you don't like Spelunky, you don't like Spelunky, but it's because it's not the game you wanted it to be, not because the game would be better without the ghost. It would completely break the game and be boring as shit.
To you. Also, options can exist.

Salsa

Again, that is only after you have made yourself comply with the way the game wants you to play. Not everyone wants the same pacing and style of play. A genuine disagreement is genuine, not a simple misjudgement of perspective.

sure, I just think that in order to make it a game you'd enjoy better; you don't have to take out the ghost, you'd have to make a different game, because Spelunky without the ghost is just boring, the levels are small.

the entire game is suited to a certain "pace and style of play". You don't just take out the ghost and the game changes pace; it becomes broken and odd and weird, cause everything's designed to play a certain way but suddenly you don't have anything pushing you that way. You'd have to change a hell of a lot more. It'd be a different game.

_hekk05

Banned
I like the spelunky ghost. Its a soft timer that urges you to not dilly dally too much, but when exploited can give you better rewards.

Makes the game more interesting

Salsa

To you. Also, options can exist.

no, because the game is known for how difficult it can be and how methodical you need to be about it while at the same time having to think about those 2 minutes and a half you have in each level

options detract from that. The game wouldnt be as much of a learning experience and you wouldnt have to get better at it if you could just disable the ghost.

It's like saying Super Meat Boy should have an "option" where you could just fly for people who find it difficult or want something else. It'd detract from what the game is trying to achieve, even if those who play it could not choose it. The game is meant to be hard, it made a name for itself on that.

Volotaire

I wonder what kind of PC news we will get out of E3.

-Deus Ex 4
-Hitman 6
-Evolve
-Some Steam Box news (not conferences)
-More Occulus stuff (not conferences)
-Halo 2 PC maybe re release (from what major nelson was teasing)
-Civilisation
-Loads of indie games
Much more I've missed

Taking out the ghost would change maybe how your first few hours of Spelunky play out while you're still getting used to the game. After that, you know everything that can happen, every random event/place that can spawn and go through the levels with a feel for those things.

Is there a shop/special item/altar in this level? If yes go there and do stuff, otherwise collect maybe a few gems and go to the exit. There is nothing else to do for you, except to stand around and look at the graphics. The ghost will simply not appear. That's not an opinion or playstyle, that's a fact.

i'm not even sure if deus ex 3 will be any good now.

2 was so good but didn't most of that team leave eidos montreal? before thief even got finished.

and i wonder if they have the balls to continue the storyline post-deus ex 1. anyways mirror's edge 2. god damn that's all i need

there is no invisible war

Dr Dogg

Do any of you calibrate and recalibrate your controller in Windows' built in Game Controller Settings? Granted it's a bit back to front in the language used to communicate which input to use but it's the first stop for me of something is amiss and 99% of the time sorts the issue out. Though my current 360 pad doesn't have any analogue movement going up now. It's either on or off but it's better than what the default profile gives me which is just off.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I personally never had a problem with the ghost on Spelunky. It has appeared on me very few times and I could evade it easily. What really pisses me off is when a cobra randomly spits on a shopkeeper and your whole run is ruined

saunderez

Do any of you calibrate and recalibrate your controller in Windows' built in Game Controller Settings? Granted it's a bit back to front in the language used to communicate which input to use but it's the first stop for me of something is amiss and 99% of the time sorts the issue out. Though my current 360 pad doesn't have any analogue movement going up now. It's either on or off but it's better than what the default profile gives me which is just off.

I tried with a controller that had drift issues and it didn't help. Luckily I have a massive stockpile of 360 controllers so I just moved onto a better one.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It seems coupons earned from crafting now only last a week, down from two. Here's one I earned this past Monday (June 2nd):

wn1fbsv4.jpg

And here's one I earned just several minutes ago (June 7th):

wn2vhsz5.jpg

Dr Dogg

Subtle Soul Suspect, subtle. There's an ability you gain right off the bat that let's you possess someone and read their mind. Asides from seeing Deus Ex: HR being played and. Just Cause 2 posters I've now had a woman mussing "What's that game? The one where you raid tombs?". That's just bloody spelling it out essentially! Needless to say I'm enjoying it and is a welcome turn of pace.

I tried with a controller that had drift issues and it didn't help. Luckily I have a massive stockpile of 360 controllers so I just moved onto a better one.

Yeah it is a bit hit and miss. I think I must be a bit more tolerant to broken controllers as I've hung on to mine for about 5 years longer than I should.

Salsa

my latest controller issue is that L3 doesnt work as well

probably from clicking the sticks like an idiot during loading screens and all that

JaseC

Subtle Soul Suspect, subtle. There's an ability you gain right off the bat that let's you possess someone and read their mind. Asides from seeing Deus Ex: HR being played and. Just Cause 2 posters I've now had a woman mussing "What's that game? The one where you raid tombs?". That's just bloody spelling it out essentially! Needless to say I'm enjoying it and is a welcome turn of pace.

I'm sure there's a Final Fantasy quip in there somewhere. "Why do they call it 'Final Fantasy' if they keep bringing out games?"

Dice

no, because the game is known for how difficult it can be and how methodical you need to be about it while at the same time having to think about those 2 minutes and a half you have in each level

options detract from that. The game wouldnt be as much of a learning experience and you wouldnt have to get better at it if you could just disable the ghost.
I don't care about hardness. I just don't like games that pressure me on time. I never have, and I never will. Even in games where it doesn't ultimately matter at all, like The Walking Dead, I drop them forever. If I play co-op with someone who likes to run ahead, I won't play with them anymore. "Do not pressure me on time" is big with me and I don't give a single fuck about any design philosophy. Will I rather avoid a game and not rag on it if I see time limits? Yes. But I was never told about the ghost by the five hundred people who told me to get the game over like half a year, and then I discovered it within 10 minutes of buying it; an incredibly fundamental design principle. Therefore, I will always feel complete liberty to bitch about it if the ghost itself happens to come up in discussion. :p

saunderez

I don't care about hardness. I just don't like games that pressure me on time. I never have, and I never will. Even in games where it doesn't ultimately matter at all, like The Walking Dead, I drop them forever. If I play co-op with someone who likes to run ahead, I won't play with them anymore. "Do not pressure me on time" is big with me and I don't give a single fuck about any design philosophy. Will I rather avoid a game and not rag on it if I see time limits? Yes. But I was never told about the ghost by the five hundred people who told me to get the game over like half a year, and then I discovered it within 10 minutes of buying it; an incredibly fundamental design principle. Therefore, I will always feel complete liberty to bitch about it if the ghost itself happens to come up in discussion. :p

You must hate a whole lot of games.

Dr Dogg

I'm sure there's a Final Fantasy quip in there somewhere. "Why do they call it 'Final Fantasy' if they keep bringing out games?"

Well is suppose Penultimate Fantasy does to have quite the same ring to it. And likewise is really only good for one game.

You must be chuffed though as there's loooooaaads of collectables. I'm quite liking having a wander around and solving mysteries like a ghostly Sam from Quantum Leap.

JaseC

Well is suppose Penultimate Fantasy does to have quite the same ring to it. And likewise is really only good for one game.

You must be chuffed though as there's loooooaaads of collectables. I'm quite liking having a wander around and solving mysteries like a ghostly Sam from Quantum Leap.

True to form, I haven't played it yet. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom