• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I know I might be alone in this but I'd like to say something. I think that modbot completely changed this thread for me. Don't get me wrong, I think it's probably the most amazing thing here on gaf, for so many different reasons, and I've even used it one time to give stuff and a couple times to receive. It's amazing.

The issue for me is that this thread (I love the new format btw) has become 75% posts about modbot giveaways and 25% about steam sales, games, impressions and so on. I don't have a lot of time to browse the most active threads on gaf, but I miss when I was able to do that and especially steam-gaf, my favourite one. Now it's really hard for me to keep up with sales outside of steam, new games, suggestions, impressions from people whose insight I trusted (even if they probably don't even recognize me, I didn't post a lot) because of the sheer size of discussion about giveaways.
Even if I don't really follow those I don't want giveaways gone, of course not. I was just thinking they might get their own thread, or there could be a modbot thread, or something. I also know that modbot ensures that people contributing to the community get the games so maybe it would be hard to have a thread for giveaways, that is true. There could be some sort of limit, or an automatic giveaway taking place every week with the submissions of all week in a dedicated thread or even here, but discouraging all the endless posts with thanks (PMs could be used for that).

I don't feel like I'm in the place to say something like this as well, given that I don't really contribute to the thread in any form (especially now) but it just hit me and I wanted to say it. Don't be too harsh if you don't agree please :) I don't even know if this "criticism" has already been made; because of what I said earlier, I really have a hard time following the thread nowadays, so I'm even more sorry if you already discussed this to tears.
I feel like it might not be a bad idea to have a dedicated giveaway thread.

Garcia

4503358732_985356a4ab.jpg

LOL!

Maybe one day, if smarter heads at EA prevail and they get off this Origin exclusivity drive they've got going.

Of course, EA and smart don't really go together.

So they're Origin exclusive... Down the drain go any future hopes.

Great giveaway Rhaknar.

I know I might be alone in this but I'd like to say something. I think that modbot completely changed this thread for me. Don't get me wrong, I think it's probably the most amazing thing here on gaf, for so many different reasons, and I've even used it one time to give stuff and a couple times to receive. It's amazing.

The issue for me is that this thread (I love the new format btw) has become 75% posts about modbot giveaways and 25% about steam sales, games, impressions and so on. I don't have a lot of time to browse the most active threads on gaf, but I miss when I was able to do that and especially steam-gaf, my favourite one. Now it's really hard for me to keep up with sales outside of steam, new games, suggestions, impressions from people whose insight I trusted (even if they probably don't even recognize me, I didn't post a lot) because of the sheer size of discussion about giveaways.
Even if I don't really follow those I don't want giveaways gone, of course not. I was just thinking they might get their own thread, or there could be a modbot thread, or something. I also know that modbot ensures that people contributing to the community get the games so maybe it would be hard to have a thread for giveaways, that is true. There could be some sort of limit, or an automatic giveaway taking place every week with the submissions of all week in a dedicated thread or even here, but discouraging all the endless posts with thanks (PMs could be used for that).

I don't feel like I'm in the place to say something like this as well, given that I don't really contribute to the thread in any form (especially now) but it just hit me and I wanted to say it. Don't be too harsh if you don't agree please :) I don't even know if this "criticism" has already been made; because of what I said earlier, I really have a hard time following the thread nowadays, so I'm even more sorry if you already discussed this to tears.

I think people have brought this up before. I can see a dedicated thread for it as a good idea. Don't feel sorry for bringing this up.

derExperte

I know what you mean but I don't think it's THAT bad and a seperate thread would cause other problems. We could try to reduce the useless posts connected to giveaways though, for example going forward I'll only say 'thank you' in the thread if I wanted to post something else anyway. If not I'll send a pm and if others did the same it would make huge giveaways a little less distracting.

Wow, Rhaknar. Dandelion will sing a ballad about your deeds here today.

Plough all who say otherwise.

I feel like it might not be a bad idea to have a dedicated giveaway thread.

While it will attract more attention to giveaways, I imagine it would be a lot easier to police with modbot (using things like minimum posts in that thread, minimum giveaways, etc) to keep track of abusers. It will also open up the giveaways to people beyond bundle collectors, so they, too, can enjoy Bad Rats.

Enco

ModBot said:
Instructions for Enco:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space 3 Origin -- MB-EF979EA78C0C5E94 - Taken by mileS. 3 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Mirrors Edge Origin -- MB-E909C4C292F4CFC3
Command & Conquer 3 Red Alert Steam -- MB-65F560C5CE04E28C - Taken by lucebuce12. 1 entrants total.
Don't Starve -- MB-D59F90A07DF5D676 - Taken by Kirosia. 7 entrants total.
Risen 2: Dark Waters, Sacred 2: Gold Edition, Saints Row 2, and Saints Row: The Third -- MB-5FDE31404F03F97D - Taken by Vazduh. 3 entrants total.
Dead Island Epidemic Beta -- MB-BCBB4F7ACEC9BB2A
FEAR -- MB-5402BC25A446CF7C - Taken by Gangxxter. 2 entrants total.

t1402156076z1.png
Some moar.

edit: put to shame by Rhaknar. Well played :lol

Copons

damn copons is awake

EHE HEHEHE HEHEH HEHEHE

Not only I'm awake (and strangely at home on a Saturday afternoon!), but I'm currently playing Witcher 2, so MAY THE POWER OF THE HYPE ASSIST ME IN THESE DIRE TIMES

EDIT: also I'd feel so bad winning this, cause I've just put it on top of my wishlist, and I'd be too lazy to have to remove it right away. :(

Not that I've heard but I did only skim the announcements the other day. Well that's 2 and 3 now I wonder if the first will get the Linux/SteamOS treatment or maybe...

I hope 3 will have a better port though. 2 got a lot of criticism for its eON wrapper approach.

Copons

I know what you mean but I don't think it's THAT bad and a seperate thread would cause other problems. We could try to reduce the useless posts connected to giveaways though, for example going forward I'll only say 'thank you' in the thread if I wanted to post something else anyway. If not I'll send a pm and if others did the same it would make huge giveaways a little less distracting.

I guess Tomodachi's post came with the worse timing ever, right after the greatest ModBot giveaway of all times, which will be both the proof that ModBot oughta stay here forever, and the proof that giveaways lead to an infinite amount of superfluous related posts. :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Well, I guess I'd say two things.

RE: ModBot; it's a tough call. One of the reasons why I made it was to stop pre-ModBot giveaways, which were super obnoxious with people saying "quote me to get game" and then having people spam quotes like crazy, and tons of thank you posts, and even worse frequent MS Paint contest giveaways taking up tons of posts. So in that sense, objective achieved. On the other hand, shortly after I made ModBot, the frequency of turd bundles started ramping up massively so I didn't anticipate quite so many giveaways of spares/freebies, and so that's overwhelmed things a little bit. I also share concerns expressed before that people just putting empty thanks posts are not really thanking people, but rather just clogging up the thread, and so it'd be great if those got put in PM or whatever. I also think it's probably ideal if people are going to do 100+ game mega-giveaway type things that they create their own thread, both to draw new people in here and to maybe avoid flooding in here. The challenge is that if you move all the giveaways to a separate thread, I think you lower the kind of sharing/community spirit here and you expose giveaways to much more abuse, since what someone owes to a random thread is a lot less than what someone owes to a community they're a part of. I'd also add that from my perspective, I'm not paid to maintain ModBot or anything like that... I'm not sure I would have made the giveaway function if not for the fact that I like this thread a lot.

Another reason why I made ModBot is because I remember years of people from this thread being generous with just randomly gifting games on Steam to each other, like someone showing up to dinner with a bottle of wine or whatever... good feeling. And I guess I hoped that that spirit would extend beyond sort of a clique of people who talked in chat or whatever, to the Steam thread at large. I think it really has, in general, and even excluding all the bundle extra junk.

However...

I think it's maybe a little bit of misplaced projection to conclude that this is interfering with one's ability to keep up with the thread or Steam. Even if you get rid of giveaway posts, the thread will easily hit 20,000 posts in a month. That's an intractable problem of size. The community is large. It's easier than ever to PC game. It's not magically going to be a slow-moving thread. And the same is true because of the changes Steam has made; 35 games got released on Steam yesterday, none of any particular profile or relevance. So if there's a signal-to-noise problem with things like being able to keep up on new releases, that's as much Steam's problem as anything else.

Some of the issue is that this is a thread, and most discussion groups this large wouldn't be constrained to one thread, but rather a forum full of threads. Welcome to GAF's #1 Problem: With only two forums, anything smaller than a forum is a thread, which means anything too large for a thread gets put in an entirely too active, hard to keep up with thread. This is actually one of the fastest moving, most-posted-in threads on GAF. There's no turning back the clock on that, giveaways or not.

RE: Game impressions; that's been a chronic problem with this thread. Even back in 2008-2009, not enough people posted screenshots or game impressions here. It's always been chat roomy. I've done my best to try to post any impressions or reviews I have. I actually feel like 2013-2014 has been a bit better for that thanks to some people like Stallion Free and toddhunter and Dusk Golem and others who really take their time to give thoughtful impressions of stuff.

PS. Speaking of giveaways One hour left on Transistor, Dark Souls II Season Pass, and Banished given away by SUB ZERO!

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I suppose there is not a chance that the retail version of TW3 will activate on Steam, right? I always get Witcher games on retail

Dr Dogg

Now we play the waiting game...

I'm sure I'll have the backlog whittled down in 9 months or so.

If Binding of Isaac is at the Sony E3 presentation with no PC release date

Yeeeeaaaahh considering Sony are a company that likes to bandy around the 'Exclusive' prefix to their on stage announcements forgetting to add in the console part of the phrase I think getting a release date for anything other than Sony platforms isn't ever going to happen.

Grief.exe

Yes and then those posts get made into threads on GAF giving the impression they're only on PS.

I'll be in the OT

"Guess I have to buy a PS4 for this game."
It is on PC as well.

"I hate exclusives, wish this was on other platforms
Grab it on Steam.

"OMG. THE LIGHTBAR CHANGES COLOR WHEN YOU SNEEZE. GOAT."
That is stupid.

"Grief is a fucking Steam shill."

I'm sure I'll have the backlog whittled down in 9 months or so.

iF6PqbgFWmW12.gif

Hey folks, I need a little help with battlefield 3. It is not on steam but most pc users are here, so I thought chances of help will be higher, sorry if it's wrong to do so.

So, there's two things actually.
1. My laptop sucks, I play at 640xsth resolution, everything low. Still heavy lag. IQ is bad obviously. I want to play windowed for better IQ but when I enable it in-game the resolution get much higher even though it says it's 640Xsth. I tried adding "-windowed" at the end of the shortcut but that doesn't work. Help.
2. I made a mistake and took the free bf3 game on origin on my german account. It sucks. Blood is almost not there and the corpses vanish and can not be shot. I am not into violence but it feeld patronizing and takes me out of the game. Is there a way to enable english version/patch to the game?

Thanks

Myshkin

I've got a PM now - thanks:

[strikethrough]Trying to figure out whether some keys have been used or not.
If you want to help, and happen to want Alan Wake's American Nightmare, please PM me.[/strikethrough]

kudoboi

Hey folks, I need a little help with battlefield 3. It is not on steam but most pc users are here, so I thought chances of help will be higher, sorry if it's wrong to do so.

So, there's two things actually.
1. My laptop sucks, I play at 640xsth resolution, everything low. Still heavy lag. IQ is bad obviously. I want to play windowed for better IQ but when I enable it in-game the resolution get much higher even though it says it's 640Xsth. I tried adding "-windowed" at the end of the shortcut but that doesn't work. Help.
2. I made a mistake and took the free bf3 game on origin on my german account. It sucks. Blood is almost not there and the corpses vanish and can not be shot. I am not into violence but it feeld patronizing and takes me out of the game. Is there a way to enable english version/patch to the game?

Thanks

1) specs of the laptop?
2) You can't AFAIK

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait, I wake up and see this?
You've given away like, hundreds of games, right?

Also, amazing giveaway.

someone was giving me shit on steam the other day for winning Transistor and only playing Marvel and called me greedy for it

Im still salty about it :p

Tellaerin

To be fair, this does come up from time to time, and there are some folks here who agree with you. I happen to be one of those who doesn't, for a couple of reasons.

I feel that giveaways reinforce the sense of fellowship and goodwill in the thread, and they also spur discussion about the games that get given away, both of which help give this place its flavor. I understand some people take issue with the "thank you" posts, but I don't have a real issue with them - it's not like they're huge blocks of deceptively-placed spam that you spend five minutes reading halfway into before discovering you've wasted your time. It's more like: "Hey, so-and-so! Thanks for x!" Noted. *eyes tick down to next post* Now, there have been pushes at various times to confine the "thank yous" to PM's, though that comes and goes - the topic comes up, people PM for awhile, and then they forget. Old habits die hard. So maybe an occasional reminder might be in order now and then.

Another thing that I think is worth mentioning is that huge giveaways aren't an everyday thing. They tend to come in cycles, and right now we seem to be in the middle of one. Making a blanket judgment based on the thread as it stands right now doesn't really do things justice.

So that's where I stand on things, for whatever it's worth. : )

Grief.exe

How much is the Witcher 3? What discount do you get in Steam for owning Witcher 1 and 2? Can't access steam right now?

Pre-Purchase and save 10%. Save an additional 5% if you own The The Witcher: Enhanced Edition or The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition on Steam.

20% off total, $60 base price.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How much is the Witcher 3? What discount do you get in Steam for owning Witcher 1 and 2? Can't access steam right now?

$60. There's a base discount of -10%, increasing by 5% if you own one Witcher game and 10% if you own both.

Edit: Beaten.

Terra_Ex

That's an amazingly generous giveaway Rhaknar, one which I won't be entering but you couldn't have chosen a better game to give away imo, hats off to you, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom