• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
5JavEX7.png

Yeah, my haul of the day... Loaded $500 onto the Wallet, spent $200 in gifts for people I owed, and spent the remaing $300 here. Got kind of bugged out though, I own both Cave Story+ and that other game, yet got no discount on 1001 Spikes, plus my paycheck was a day late-$22.50 short on the Injustice sale.... =(

Otherwise I would have got the new Electronic Super Joy: Groove City with all this. Easy come easy go, I guess.

My well thought out and expressive opinion on your recent purchases.

Man, that IGN thread is giving me some mixed emotions I don't know if its anger or agony. Can anyone here recommend me a happy game? Thanks in advance.

Go! Go! Nippon ~My First Trip to Japan~ is supposedly a game filled with happiness.

That said, I'd recommend Pajama Sam.

I completely forgot I owned this on Steam. Get this and play it if you haven't bought it on Steam, good nostalgic feels can be found.

Looked the game up and one of the tags is bullet hell, lol. Not entering, but have fun folks.
You should seriously not let that stop you from considering it though. It's super friendly for newcomers and I can guarantee you, no matter your skill level, you will feel like a bad ass playing it.

It's impossible to have a bad time in Crimzon Clover.

Volimar

You should seriously not let that stop you from considering it though. It's super friendly for newcomers and I can guarantee you, no matter your skill level, you will feel like a bad ass playing it.

It's impossible to have a bad time in Crimzon Clover.

Yeah, but I try to stay away from giveaways unless I think I'll really really enjoy the game. I've been the recipient of loads of steamGAF's generosity already.

I haven't slept in three days because when I go to bed I keep seeing Dark Souls 2. I think I'll stop playing for a while. fuck my brain.

kudoboi

5JavEX7.png

Yeah, my haul of the day... Loaded $500 onto the Wallet, spent $200 in gifts for people I owed, and spent the remaing $300 here. Got kind of bugged out though, I own both Cave Story+ and that other game, yet got no discount on 1001 Spikes, plus my paycheck was a day late-$22.50 short on the Injustice sale.... =(

Otherwise I would have got the new Electronic Super Joy: Groove City with all this. Easy come easy go, I guess.

If only i had disposable income :(

I still have 9+ games that I want to buy but can't because they are above my monthly limit

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll write my full thoughts later, but some immediate thoughts on Murdered: Soul Suspect.

header_292x136.jpg

-The best part of the game is its audio and cinematics.
-Audio is all around great. Good voice acting, good music, good audio design, both gameplay sounds and ambient sounds.
-Cinematics were a joy, and there's a lot of them. Almost all cinematics are CG cutscenes. They had good cinematography, good pacing, and for the story it is I would say overall good writing. Had some believable conversations between characters, the story managed to surprise without going over-the-top, and it felt stylized perfectly like a detective-ghost story.
-The story I would say got better after the first part, had likable characters and relationship between characters. The plot even managed to surprise me a few times. This is hard to talk about without spoiling, but there were a few plot twists that were well-foreshadowed but I seriously didn't see coming.
-That said, the ending is a mixed bag. On one hand, I wouldn't say it was bad. But on the other, I felt it could of been better. Some unresolved plot threads which I think were meant for a potential sequel which I really can't see happening.
-There were elements of the game that felt rushed. I think the ending was one of them, but also side-quests are kind of dropped half-way into the game, yet there are signs that there were supposed to be side-quests in the levels but they didn't amount to anything. Feels like either budget or time had them cut some corners.
-It IS NOT a game for everyone. I think it's one of those love it/hate it games, where you'll either play it and love it, or play it and find it dull.
-Some glitches present in the game. Auto-saving system of the game helps make it not that big of a deal though.
-Time in this game will alter so dramatically. To just do the story, you could easily beat the game in 3-5 hours. However, there is so much optional content to explore, and that I would say a lot of it is worth exploring, that your playtime could easily be extended to a 10-13 hour playtime.
-I think it's best to go into the game thinking of it as a TellTale-styled game. Gameplay is sort of minimalist styled.
-Certain elements of gameplay feel underutilized, especially specific ghost powers.
-That said, your main ghost powers are all handled well and are fun to use (my favorite being the last power you got).
-Demon sections I found to be unoffensive, but could of been handled better.
-My favorite level in the game was the last main one. Some great atmosphere there.

There's more, but in basic on my opinion:

What I Loved:
-Audio department (voice acting, music, ambiance, gameplay sounds)
-Cinematics (well-handled, stylistic, and fun to watch)

What I Liked:
-The Story (a few weak parts, but also some strong parts)
-The characters
-Exploration element
-Some of the ghost you encounter and ghost stories you can get in each level (some are deliciously dark, twisted, or even creepy).
-Clipping and
Transportation
powers were a joy to use
-Possessing cats
-Collectibles add a lot to the lore and character backgrounds
-Many fun references to films, ghost stories, superstitions, and more.

Indifferent Towards:
-Split dialogue chains
-Demon sections
-Investigations (often were too easy, or hard because the answer was simpler than you thought it'd be, but sometimes feel rewarding)
-Hub world Salem (was very interesting at first, but it really is a bit too small, and it hardly changes at all or adds anything as the game goes on. You can do everything in it literally the first time you enter the hub world).

Disliked:
-Side-Quests (the ones there are interesting, but way too few and signs many were cut)
-Too many NPCs (especially in the hub) having repeating thoughts, and too many thoughts about superficial things about the story.
-Some plot threads left open by the end.
-Too many collectibles and one area closes off after you complete it so you can't go back to get them again.
-Many ghost powers way too underutilized.
-Shoe-horned in video game references.

I didn't feel so strongly to hate anything about the game. There were a few disappointing elements, but I actually liked a lot about it.

BUT, if I were to review it in a general sense, and not just for my own opinion, I'd probably give it a 6-7. It lacks main-stream appeal, it lacks action, some ideas are really underutilized, there are obvious signs of cut content, and just when it comes down to it you'll either like it or you won't, it's kind of designed like a more interactive visual novel almost. That said, it had wonderful sound design, some great cinematics, a good story, good characters, good exploration element, some fun powers (though some underutilized), and some deliciously dark moments sprinkled throughout.

Enco

I played through it with the 1.1 then the 1.1a mod and it was fine. There's a 1.2 mod now, should be the final.

If anything it clears up some bugs.

Edit: I played with 1.2 as well apparently.
Thanks. I'll double check and make sure I have the latest version.

I remember not wanting to update because it was a long ass process and I had to make an account.

The intro to the game was the worst by far, definitely push past it.
Hmm ok. I was surprised at all the praise from what I saw to be honest. I'll keep going.

What kind of bugs are you getting?
I've started TW2 yesterday with the 1.2 mod enabled and I'm not seeing anything weird (except for the fact that I did the tutorial with ubersampling enabled and I thought my GPU was broken :D ).

Anyway, the siege mission is just a tutorial, and as soon as you land in the forest/swamp (where I am at the moment) it feels more like the first Witcher, with a town functioning as a hub and an overwhelming number of quests available.
One thing cool that I noticed is that the customary harvesting quests like "collect 10 boars hides" seems to be replaced by "destroy the motherfucking boar nest" (do boars have nests anyway? :D ). Obviously I don't know if the entire game will be like this, but I found this change really refreshing.
Honestly can't remember what bugs I was having because it was so long ago but there were some odd things going on with the sound and some fighting actions I think.

I refuse to do any fetch quests so hopefully they feel different enough :lol If not I'll probably just skip them. Fetch quests are the only things in games I will straight up not do any more.

Tizoc

Yo Golem I see you mentioned missable items/collectables, mind putting that location in spoiler tags please so I don't miss out on them?

Yeah, but I try to stay away from giveaways unless I think I'll really really enjoy the game. I've been the recipient of loads of steamGAF's generosity already.
Fair enough. All I'm saying is it would be a crying shame writing the game off based on some preconception about bullet hell shooters :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yo Golem I see you mentioned missable items/collectables, mind putting that location in spoiler tags please so I don't miss out on them?

The Museum, if you miss items in that location you can't go back in to get them. All others you can, though. Also there is a cut-off point at the end where you can't go back to collect items after you enter it, but the game will tell you before this point happens.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Play them. I dare you.

I will eventually, stil gotta finish up Wolfen: NO on 2nd Highest diff. My backlog is honestly getting stupid now. Spend 90% of my free time on PC playtesting and other times I'm working/with wife/doing adult "real life" shit (aka boring or irritating stuff). So my free playtime on PC/console is very limited now mainly due to the playtesting. It sucks, and playtesting isn't much fun most of the time. But I volunteered and I'm a man of my word, and me and my roommate and the dev's are really cool, so... Gotta get it done.

But I'll get to them. If you look at my most played games, I sort of find a game I really love and play the hell out of it until I become stupidly good at it. My DkS1 playtime on Steam doesn't even reflect my offline playtime which is probably over 300+ hours of just challenge running/PvP at base-SL. So that, and of course Super Meat Boy are my most played games on Steam atm, One Finger Death Punch surely to follow, although some of the "playtiime stats" on some games just reflect me idling for cards and passing out on beer and Xanax off my 2nd monitor. xD

At least I ain't no JaseC though! :p Shots fired! Love ya Jase.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd feel better thinking you knew it was probably scammy and you just wanted the clicks from the curious and you aren't actually wondering if it's a scam.

Tellaerin

Have you tried Hydorah? It's totally brilliant. Though its weapon system reminds me more of Axelay than Gradius.

Yeah, Hydorah is awesome. :D I love Locomalito's stuff. Now there's a guy who could easily charge for his work. The fact that he releases his games as freeware/donationware for the love of oldschool earns him a ton of respect in my eyes.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Yeah, Hydorah is awesome. :D I love Locomalito's stuff. Now there's a guy who could easily charge for his work. The fact that he releases his games as freeware/donationware for the love of oldschool earns him a ton of respect in my eyes.

I might try this, love me some Shmups! Still waiting on Treasure to release Radiant Silvergun and Silhouette Mirage on Steam. And Planescape Torment isn't there for...precisely zero reason unless GOG has some deal locked up. I'd dig some Planescape backgrounds, and a Badge, achievements for it kind of meh for me. Baah, but I'd argue a lot of the most deserving games on Steam never get card/achievements...

Should incorporate a way to add a Workshop support for games without them to be added based on community votes on the art, achievement objectives, and all that good stuff. Not "In-Home Streaming" BS, and Steam Machines that will go absolutely nowhere market-wise, other than satisfy a very small niche. Make the client itself and community integration better, that would be the better idea imo. I'd say improve Support by 1000% and implement Live Chat, but Valve doesn't care about it's customers, that horse is too rotten to even beat anymore.

Benedict

When activating Skullgirls I bought from GMG it gives me two choices to install.

Skullgirls and Skullgirls Endless Beta.
What's the beta?
Should I only install Skullgirls?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When activating Skullgirls I bought from GMG it gives me two choices to install.

Skullgirls and Skullgirls Endless Beta.
What's the beta?
Should I only install Skullgirls?

The beta is the build that is used to test forthcoming updates.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if it's worth buying Skyrim: Legendary Edition at GMG? Or maybe it'll be cheaper in the Steam Summer Sales?

-35% is an awful discount. It'll be at least half off at some point during the Summer Sale as it's been $20 in the past.

Edit: I'd say the intention there is for GMG's -20% code to more or less make up the difference (-20% knocks it down to $20.80). I'd just wait, though, as history assures the pack will be no more than $20 when featured on Steam and there's a faint possibility that the discount will actually be a little higher than 50%.

At least I ain't no JaseC though! :p Shots fired! Love ya Jase.

<3

mrgone

I wonder if it's worth buying Skyrim: Legendary Edition at GMG? Or maybe it'll be cheaper in the Steam Summer Sales?

I think it was down at $20 during the last fall and winter sales. If you have credit it might be worthwhile, but I'd wait until they start discounting the shit out of it as a promotion for whatever their next flagship release is, as is the Bethesda way. Or just wait for the inevitable GamersGate price mistake.

edit: Double beaten :)

ArynCrinn

Banned
Alright question.

If you could pick any Hollywood actor to doing amazing VA for a game, who would it be and why?

My pick = Gary Busey!

Why = He's a damn bottomless pit of hilarious random quotes, and his own insane philosophies and ways of doing things. I'd go so far as to let him write all his own material, and if it were for say a RPG-type, get him to detail the quests! It would be priceless. Fallout 4 Bethesda, make it happen. Be even funnier if Busey did the "But war, war never changes...".

Corpekata

Banned
Micheal Wincott needs to voice more games. Darksiders 2 and Syndicate are probably his most high profile but he has such a cool voice I'd like to see him more.

mrgone

Micheal Wincott needs to voice more games. Darksiders 2 and Syndicate are probably his most high profile but he has such a cool voice I'd like to see him more.

I'm all for more Michael Wincott in everything. That dude does menace better than anyone.

Mads Mikkelson, Michael Fassbender, in some sort of RPG, and Bryan Cranston as a character in a GTA game, the all star VO cast, and a Saoirse Lovely Bones point and click game from Telltale would be dope too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom