• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Just start up GeForce Experience, open ShadowPlay in the top right corner, and click on the power button. You can then choose Twitch in Mode. You need to log into your account as well.

Hmmm, I might try this, as it would archive whatever I decide to stream and not really make me do my own recording... I don't know that I'd actually link streams for SteamGAF to watch though. ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"New" thread and new giveaway. This time only one game.

Cryostatis_Sleep_of_Reason.jpg

Cryostasis, no longer available on Steam. This code should work, but I can't guarantee it since it's been quite some time since I got it.
Also trying out this megagivers thingie.

Wow, this is... this is very generous of you. Cryostasis is a very interesting and unique game worth playing, but even separate to that, it's very rare as it has been removed from Steam for a long time (I was lucky enough to buy it before it was removed). I'm very humbled someone would give so generously. I hope that the person who wins treasures it.

Nabs

Hmmm, I might try this, as it would archive whatever I decide to stream and not really make me do my own recording... I don't know that I'd actually link streams for SteamGAF to watch though. ;)

Twitch will automatically archive your sessions once you enable it on their site.

r3n4ud

heads up for owners of Battlepaths via indiegala (was in indiegala supreme bundle), desura doesnt link a key in the usual desura/collection page (as they do if you bought the debut 2 indieroyale bundle... dont ask me why) but if you actually launch the game via desura (its small so wont take long) the game actually says you need a steam account to play it (aparently its steamworks lol) and gives you the steam key

I can confirm this works. Now im wondering what other games this works for...

Wow. Ya, this worked. Thanks for this.

A new Steam Thread for my birthday?? Thanks guys! Best present ever. I think I have some keys lieing around, I'll try and throw a giveaway together later.

What game should I gift myself with? Been out of town for a few days.

Santiako

A new Steam Thread for my birthday?? Thanks guys! Best present ever. I think I have some keys lieing around, I'll try and throw a giveaway together later.

Happy birthday, gift yourself some Divinity Original Sin.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Happy birthday!

You should go buy Watch_Dags Bad Rats.

Happy birthday.

Killer is Dead?

Twitch will automatically archive your sessions once you enable it on their site.

Thanks. Done and done.
Might try streaming later when I start working on DmC playfire cleanup/Protoype 2 or continue with Killer is Dead.

Its the I want to be MEGAgiver Giveway

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys and 3 Origin keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Batman Arkham City GOTY -- MB-5C981670A34E2AF8 - Taken by Javier23. 8 entrants total.
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY -- MB-7F59BBEDD55C4BE2 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 3 entrants total.
Scribblenauts Unlimited -- MB-1E087B082F1D83E0 - Taken by PossumMeat. 15 entrants total.
Wildlife Park 3 -- MB-44B92CF98C14FC53 - Taken by louiedog. 12 entrants total.
ORION Dino Horde -- MB-75C4E6703ABF9B85 - Taken by jmizzal. 9 entrants total.
Skulls of the Shogun -- MB-DCFA0FD4FADA44DB - Taken by Dio Brando. 19 entrants total.
Galcon Fusion -- MB-70D6B8CF4F05A923 - Taken by ArynCrinn. 2 entrants total.
Faerie Solitaire Steam Key -- MB-2D012E4DFC026577 - Taken by Benedict. 2 entrants total.
FEAR 2 Project Origin -- MB-C8A63EADC50C2F40 - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 2 entrants total.
FEAR 3 -- MB-DB133106C9534AED - Taken by zkylon. 4 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box Origin Key -- MB-69D235583A861EAD - Taken by cardinalmind. 3 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space 3 Origin Key -- MB-B5FB44593BC59596 - Taken by cardinalmind. 3 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor Origin Key -- MB-B669F4E952B862DB - Taken by Alduin. 1 entrants total.

t1401654943z1.png

Evrain

Was looking at my loot, I have 2 intrusion 2's, I put both keys into this giveaway, one of them should work
Thanks for Intruson! I love this kind of games, and am a bit surprised I didn't snag it already. Or perhaps I'm still delusional about Megaman X9 being announced anytime soon

b6698397feda246a510629229b73de78ba60a6fb.jpg

I played Cryostasis earlier this year, and it was actually much better than I was anticipating. I'm not going to write full thoughts on it as you can't buy it anymore so there's not much of a point, but the game does a good job at introducing new elements, goes in very unexpected directions, and had some definite stand-out moments and a few good scary elements here and there.

To best describe it would be to say imagine BioShock combined with Echo Night combined with Condemned. It doesn't pull off all of its ideas successfully, but it did much better than I expected in other areas. And again, I was legitimately impressed the game managed to introduce new things all the way through to the end of the game.

It's optimized to shit unfortunately, but I think it's a horror game worth played, and an underlooked rough gem.
Now that I think of it, I DID purchase cryostasis. Time to dig into my library and give it a go, I guess.

maneil99

Thanks for Intruson! I love this kind of games, and am a bit surprised I didn't snag it already. Or perhaps I'm still delusional about Megaman X9 being announced anytime soon

Now that I think of it, I DID purchase cryostasis. Time to dig into my library and give it a go, I guess.

Tell me if it works!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Cryostasis is awesome but it runs like shit. Still, wish I had finished it

edit: oh Planet Alcatraz was added to the groupees clash of the worlds russia bundle (which is still running). Also BeMine 13 now says coming soon so I guess they got the correct keys

Nabs

A couple of unclaimed codes. I'm sure someone will want Dust:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-D695455F52A0E621
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-E6125ED1789A227B - Taken by Mavromatis
Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-BE133011F2CBC252 - Taken by Hesemonni
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-8184A8BDAAE33F7D - Taken by M*A*S*H
Gish -- MB-085063A3D35E2160 - Taken by VikasNarula
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-BADD3E5DCEAA8076 - Taken by PossumMeat

Saty

No 'notable games from last month' section in OP? It would be cool to have recommendations from GAf-ers for games released in the previous month.

AHA-Lambda

Yes, but it doesn't give you any goals or what to do, you have to work that out yourself.

There is also a co-op mode planned.

Is there no campaign mode planned for the future? I thought maybe cos of the plane crash intro I guess :p

I'd like to see a survival game like this that has a story/campaign, the mechanics alone just aren't enough to keep my interest for long =/

maneil99

Is there no campaign mode planned for the future? I thought maybe cos of the plane crash intro I guess :p

I'd like to see a survival game like this that has a story/campaign, the mechanics alone just aren't enough to keep my interest for long =/

There is a goal that involves the plane crash but its a spoiler sorta

They take your son and you need to find him and leave the island

Exuro

There is a story.
You crash land in a forest and mutants take your kid. You must survive and try to find him.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Speaking of extra Modbot keys: here's your last chance to take these before they end up in the Modbot dumpster thread. :)

ModBot said:
I am giving away 22 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Shattered Haven -- MB-95E6ADE766AAB09F - Taken by ArynCrinn
Aerena -- Clash of Champions -- MB-65D566CFC87BC77B - Taken by Jmanunknown
Nightsky -- MB-F1C23B93DF2E0394 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Legends of Aurthureus -- MB-CD31C9FC0D49D783 - Taken by factorone
Krater Dr. Cerebro Pack DLC -- MB-D26F468A140C3BAD
Doc Clock Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-9CB3F1A6930493F0
Plain Sight -- MB-64CFFBD5DC4DFF51 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Space Trader Merchant Marine -- MB-7A687BA4997F3B23 - Taken by Abomination
Rig N Roll -- MB-6C5303ABA7B8AB56 - Taken by pupo
Shadowgrounds -- MB-67BE6A0722761574
Madballs Bebo Invasion Plus DLC -- MB-76723963C592ECA3 - Taken by topyy
ulgzbKC.png
Cognition Episode 2 (Desura) -- MB-5520DE41BC25AC41 - Taken by GUN-NAC
War of the Roses House of York Armor Set -- MB-56A040F54013A85C - Taken by Mikaju
Larva Mortis -- MB-664DABB5A5CA899B
And Yet It Moves -- MB-8B48680AB404D19C
Driftmoon -- MB-A090D74DCF44EF48 - Taken by FauX
Red Faction Armageddon Path to War DLC -- MB-ADCCA4EC8371A722 - Taken by abracadaver
Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-9BD58C85B7F54913 - Taken by oipic
Skyward Collapse -- MB-D4ECA4AD02614197
Avadon The Black Fortress -- MB-1534A88B2BAB229C - Taken by pahamrick
Greed Corp -- MB-9FD9ABC069282509 - Taken by SSPssp
And Yet it Moves -- MB-99E9F0C194FFDF35 - Taken by S1n1st3r

Sendou

I wonder when people will get tired of "witty" one-line Steam reviews. If they aren't going to be funny then why not at least be original? What a waste of space.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
noticed I had another Battlepaths key from a groupees bundle. this is a DESURA KEY, but it will pop out a steam key when you run the game (the game is actually steamworks so it says "you need a steam account to play this game bla bla bla")

make sure you dont actually have it in your desura/collection so its not wasted :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Battlepaths -- MB-4F3F0427DFA5D449 - Taken by Ruruja

Dr Dogg

Well asides from about 2 tracks the licenced music in Watch_Dogs is a bit rubbish. Then out of the blue while playing an awesome mission where you have to set up an ambush and use brute force or your sneaky hacks the rewards was Wu-Tang Clan's C.R.E.A.M. Back on track then.

Do love some of the missions where you're left to your own devices in how you complete it. Sure there's really only 2 or 3 ways but completing it without setting foot in the hostile area let alone even drawing a weapon is a refreshing change.

Happy B'Day!

You know I'm going to say Watch_Dogs but to save you the financial burden Transistor is probably worth a shout (seeing as you recommended it in the last OP). Can't see it getting on GMG for a while for the PlayFire moneies sadly.

Edit: Also why haven't you got anything on your wishlist?

Salsa

I wonder when people will get tired of "witty" one-line Steam reviews. If they aren't going to be funny then why not at least be original? What a waste of space.

I did it before it was kewl

now I just look at em and feel dumb

cryostasis is great

Dambrosi

Banned
"New" thread and new giveaway. This time only one game.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/Cryostatis_Sleep_of_Reason.jpg

Cryostasis, no longer available on Steam. This code should work, but I can't guarantee it since it's been quite some time since I got it.
Also trying out this megagivers thingie.
Wow, that's...really something amazing you're giving away there. I remember trying to play this game on a Radeon 4570 @ 15-25fps on my previous dual-core AMD rig. It was...filmic.

I should reinstall the game and see if my current rig does any better with its unoptimized arse.

*plays more Dark Souls 2*

Authority

Banned
In the last thread I have seen a couple of Gafers asking for impressions regarding Always Sometimes Monsters so I thought I should share this review.

For what is worth, the past two weeks I have been trying to find different review sources for different games, mostly unconventional JRPGs and indies and so far Eurogamer reviews are an excellent choice. Hope you like it as well.

Always Sometimes Monsters review - "I was called "faggot" a few times, and "deadbeat" some others"

At some point, we'll all probably hit rock bottom, be it through a break-up, divorce, death, poverty or physical injury. Whether we've hit that point in our life or not, we all sort of know it's coming. Eventually. The threat of tragedy hangs over our lives as a curious thing, a distant idea we toy with when we're feeling particularly masochistic. Always Sometimes Monsters is about those moments and the things people can or will do when backed into a corner and left to wallow in their desperation.

One of my favorite lines from the past decade of film is in Batman Begins. Mobster Carmine Falcone is talking to wealthy playboy Bruce Wayne and Falcone says, "You've never tasted desperate." Wayne, even after seeing his mother and father gunned down, still hasn't seen just how much worse his life could be. He can still lose more. It wasn't until I played Always Sometimes Monsters and found myself selling a dog to an underground dogfighting ring that I realised I'd hit that point for the first time in a game.

In Always Sometimes Monsters, you mostly play as a struggling writer. The game opens with an introduction to a new publisher, eager to toast to your success and take a gamble on your future. A year later and you're six months behind on the book, late for a $500 rent bill, on the verge of eviction and you've lost the love of your life. To those who haven't yet tasted desperate, that's what it feels like. Having been in an almost identical situation myself, I can say that it's not a fun place. Similarly, this game is a struggle. It's stressful. Annoying. Tedious. Frustrating. And completely worth it.

The game itself is almost painfully simple. You only have six distinct inputs and five of those are used for movement. You wander around town looking for odd jobs, mindlessly work an assembly line, or just try to scrounge up enough food to see you to tomorrow. Just about everything that doesn't fit into the broad 'narrative' box is handled with a curt mini-game that helps keep the limited controls from becoming stale.

You have a limited amount of time each day to make as much money and maintain whatever relationships you can manage. The clock is ticking, though. Not paying rent on time means homelessness, and your former lover has invited you to her wedding in 30 days. Whether you squander your time or pour everything into one last-ditch effort to shut the marriage down is your choice to make, but either way you move forward whether you want to or not.

Beyond that foundation, you make countless choices - some that matter and some that don't. If anything, it's these little decisions that constitute the thematic meat. Games can often feed into an inflated sense of self-importance. We save Earth, reunite nations and conquer long-dead civilizations. But that's not real. None of it is. Our real choices in our real lives are much smaller and more personal. Choosing to hold the door open for one person may just enough kindness to save their day. Conversely, a nasty look or a snide comment to the wrong person can send them spiraling into a whirlwind of depression.

In its sentimental presentation, Always Sometimes Monsters runs a lot closer to critically insignificant and yet massively influential choices than it does to the kind of grand world-saving fodder typical of games. One path that I thought insignificant ended with the murder of a child at the hand of his drug-dealing uncle. I had no idea, nor any hint that I'd done anything wrong. In fact, up until that point, I was expecting the kid to mug me.

We all make snap judgments about the people around us, and they do the same. Once again, Always Sometimes Monsters cuts really close to home by encouraging you to judge others and letting them judge you. You can play as almost any race, gender or sexual orientation - all of which you pick via a series of apparently meaningless decisions. I chose to be a soft-spoken, kind-hearted gay black man, and that was significant.

I was called "faggot" a few times, and "deadbeat" some others. Usually, though, the racism and homophobia were so subtle I couldn't be totally sure whether anyone was a threat. As I spent more time in this man's body, I became not only more wary, but more hostile to the people around me. I tilted into paranoia, constantly fearing that the straight white guy across the counter didn't use the word "monkey" coincidentally. Before long I felt openly hostile to just about everyone. If they're going to treat me like this, I thought, then I'll gladly return the favor. Lying and stealing to secure a place for me and mine became the norm, but only because I was out of options and constantly pushed out into the fringes of a broken society.

Always Sometimes Monsters mirrors so much of my own real-world experience that it's hard to get any distance from it. At one point, while freelancing for a news outlet in the game, a PR manager handed me a sack of cash, and I took it. I've never come that close to breaching journalistic ethics in real life, but I've been damned close. Especially when I had just started out and was regularly seeing eviction threats from my landlord.

When backed against a wall and faced with starvation, I've abandoned almost all of my morals. I've said, time and again, that if I saw someone in need, no matter what I was going through, I'd help them. But I know that's a lie, and more than once, when it really counted, I've let someone else down. That experience isn't unique to me though. Eventually everyone will know the taste of desperate.

Always Sometimes Monsters isn't the first game to get clever with morality. It's not the first game that's had a few grey areas. It also isn't about either of those. It's about perspective. It's about empathy. It's about who we are and why we do what we do. That narrative is one of contradiction and hypocrisy, because that's what real people are about.

Credits to Eurogamer

Score is 9/10.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Hope you enjoy it! Some don't like it as much as me, the critiques I often find are that people find it linear and boring, or they didn't understand the story.

To break down Cryostasis into Pros and Cons (+ is pros, - is cons, / is middling):

+: The game looks pretty good for an early 2009 game.
-: ...But its optimized to shit.
+: The voice-work and sound design is pretty well done.
/: There's almost no music in the game, however.
+: The story is intelligent, reeked with symbolism and references to real world events and folk-stories.
/: However, if you don't pick up on some things or aren't paying attention, the game's story may confuse you.
-: Some sections of the game are needlessly difficult, and some annoying checkpointing in places can make you have to redo sections several times.
+: However, the game has a pretty great saving system, you can save like 100 files and load them from anywhere, and you can save at any time (<-- I ONLY DISCOVERED THIS AT THE END OF THE GAME, IT WOULD OF SAVED ME SO MUCH TIME AND FRUSTRATION)
+The game has some interesting segments where you go through a person's past and try to alter their fate, leading to some interesting 'puzzles'
-: Some of these have convoluted solutions though when other solutions should of worked.
/: the combat is decent, I wouldn't say it's stand-out but I wouldn't say it was bad either.
+: The heat mechanic is pretty interesting and adds some interesting twists to the game.
/: ...But elements of the heating system aren't explained very well.
/: If anything, the few boss fights the game has are unforgettable, to say the least.
-: Not much exploration. Pretty linear.
-: It crashes every once in a while.
+: Some good scares and atmosphere in places. The game has the sort of scares that I'd identify as being "WTF!?" from the unexpected mainly.
+Good variety, new things introduced all the way to the end.
-: A few of the new introduced elements aren't explained well though, and not all are winners.
+: Good enemy selection, some of the later game enemies are appropriately disturbing.
-: But the first third of the game only throws a couple varieties at you, most of the new enemies appear later in the game.
-:Sort of a repeat of an earlier statement, but it's not always clear what you must do to progress.
+: That ending

Zeliard

Speaking of extra Modbot keys: here's your last chance to take these before they end up in the Modbot dumpster thread. :)

Strong recommendation to pick up Avadon: The Black Fortress if you enjoy CRPGs.

If you're not familiar with Jeff Vogel&#8217;s RPGs, they tend to possess deep combat and uncommonly strong writing in the medium, but they are extremely low-budget and this is reflected in their look, which is a turn-off for some.

Avadon in particular is relatively newcomer-friendly as far as Vogel's games go, so give it a shot.

pahamrick

Strong recommendation to pick up Avadon: The Black Fortress if you enjoy CRPGs.

If you're not familiar Jeff Vogel’s RPGs, they tend to possess deep combat and uncommonly strong writing in the medium, but they are extremely low-budget and this is reflected in their look, which is a turn-off for some.

Avadon in particular is relatively newcomer-friendly as far as Vogel's games go, so give it a shot.

Thanks for Avadon jshackles, and the suggestion Zeliard! Never heard of this game, but I love me some CRPGs so I know what I'm playing tonight.

Just got a $10 foil for Mr. Bree+ - most valuable one in the set, apparently. This will be great for subsidizing my summer sale purchases.

If you're not familiar Jeff Vogel’s RPGs, they tend to possess deep combat and uncommonly strong writing in the medium, but they are extremely low-budget and this is reflected in their look, which is a turn-off for some.

I can get past the look. The repetitive, jarring ambient sound in town, however...

Grief.exe

Any news about G4WL going away from Dirt 2?

They have pledged to fix Dirt 3, but they may consider Dirt 2 redundant.

I don't know what your definition of 'campaign mode' is.

There is a story, you have to work out how to progress.

Benedict

whoa... let's truly hope my code works with all the attention it's getting...

Thinking of getting Luftrausers for some leftover TF2 keys. What are they going for now?
I think they are a bit expensive the ones I've seen on TF2Outpost.

Zeliard

I can get past the look. The repetitive, jarring ambient sound in town, however...

Yes, the sound effects can be rough. The lack of background music is also problematic for some, but it's never really bothered me, and to some degree you can supply your own.

AHA-Lambda

I don't know what your definition of 'campaign mode' is.

There is a story, you have to work out how to progress.

Sorry, from your description I thought you meant that there was nothing to do outside of survive, i.e. no end goal, but I see there is now. That's all I wanted to see.

Rhaknar

noone for Battlepaths huh? well fuck you guys :(

ArynCrinn

Banned
Just got a $10 foil for Mr. Bree+ - most valuable one in the set, apparently. This will be great for subsidizing my summer sale purchases.

Yeah, Foils are great when you get them, but good luck selling them too. The day Ikaruga hit I got THREE Foils, none of them but 1 sold for like a week and had to keep driving down prices. And the more obscure the game, harder the foil is to sell.

Good luck though. :)

Grief.exe

So it seems that Ubisoft has flagged the 'Uplay' tag.

I checked a few games and not only has the Uplay tag been removed, but you cannot add it at all.

Sorry, from your description I thought you meant that there was nothing to do outside of survive, i.e. no end goal, but I see there is now. That's all I wanted to see.

I provably should have been more clear initially. I'm trying to be as vague as possible because some of the elements should be discovered on your ow.

Yeah, Foils are great when you get them, but good luck selling them too. The day Ikaruga hit I got THREE Foils, none of them but 1 sold for like a week and had to keep driving down prices. And the more obscure the game, harder the foil is to sell.

Good luck though. :)

True that. I've had a couple that have sold immediately, and some (like the Tomb Raider foil I got a while back) that took weeks to sell. Still, can't complain.

Lomax

Interestingly if you actually look at the data there, the total console percentage stayed almost exactly the same (after a huge drop from 2011), and all of the PC gaming "losses" were from the tablet playing doubling (and mobile). That's my biggest wonder about the future of PC gaming, as most "typical" homes are moving away from needing a desktop or laptop at all and using their phones and tablets as their primary internet devices. Will that prove to be a drop in PC game players? Or is that crowd not generally PC gamers (or at least not Steam consumers) anyway? It does show that Valve's interest in pushing PC gaming into the living room is possibly seen as vital to their long term success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom