• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I played one episode of Chris' campaign on RE6 and it's already way better than Jake's, you guys lied

Opinions on the campaigns vary. I'll say this though, Chris' campaign is woefully underrated. It I think has the best pure gameplay element, I feel his campaign has the best level design and bosses.... And the best story.

But there are a few low points, but that's like the rest of the game. Personal highlight for me, myself, and I in Chris's campaign is the last two chapters, personally speaking.

(But this is coming from someone who loves Jake's Chapter 3 a lot, so yai).

As a reference, these are my favorite chapters in RE6 (in order of campaign, not favorite to least favorite)

Leon Chapter 1 - Don't like the beginning but love the outbreak stuff
Leon Chapter 4 - I liked almost everything about this chapter, actually.
Jake Chapter 3 - I like it a lot, love the exploration and aesthetics.
Jake Chapter 5 - I like the grey monster things, and the final boss is ridiculous and over-the-top but I it fun.
Chris Chapter 4 - Like a mixture of RE5 and Revelations, liked it a lot.
Chris Chapter 5 - Not everyone will agree with me on this, but I liked it.
Ada Chapter 2 - I might be biased for something resembling puzzles.
Ada Chapter 4 - Favorite boss in the game in this chapter, and some good stealthing.

rtcn63

Chris' campaign reminded me more of Gears of War than RE5, IIRC. Also I dislike PTSD Chris, prefer his B-movie rock-hating counterpart.

Scipius

Oh look, a new thread.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Scipius, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

A New Beginning -- MB-AF353FB80DE4BB36

t1401663029z1.png

donny2112

A new Steam Thread for my birthday??
Are you my long lost twin?

Triplets, dude. Happy Birthday to y'all, too!

Just beat Tomb Raider 2013 despite my hatred for that shaky camera. My final verdict:

sZm8bUu.gif

Great graphics, great gunplay, great movement and platforming, terrible characters other than laura, terrible story, awesome environments. I would totally go back and finish stuff up if it wasn't for the camera, but I guess I'll uninstall. Hope they make another game.

Newegg is selling them for $5, so couldn't resist buying a couple more to give away. 2 more toward a sequel! :lol

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tomb Raider #2 -- MB-4370EBE02BA1554F - Taken by Vardhan. 8 entrants total.
Tomb Raider -- MB-F20DB00460B0224F - Taken by cHinzo. 10 entrants total.

t1401663084z1.png

Dusk Golem

Chris' campaign reminded me more of Gears of War than RE5, IIRC. Also I dislike PTSD Chris, prefer his B-movie rock-hating counterpart.

I feel it had some GoW vibes, but also some RE5 vibes. I liked both B-Movie Chris and PTSD Chris, though, they both were amusing to me in different ways.

Salsa

also about RE6 dude, game is really ambitious and does a lot of things right, in terms of potential at least, specially on PC.

as said a hundred times by even people who hate it: character movement is great. snappy, responsive, etc. I feel like where the game fails is in making the shooting feel as tight as previous games, for some reason, and mostly in lacklusting encounters and just mediocre to bad level design, SPECIALLY if you're playing alone. game is tailored way more towards coop than RE5.

I like the online options, tho, and I'm even surprised at them. not only is it smart about letting other players join, which it does really seamlessly without ruining your experience at all, but also that mode where people can randomly enter your game to control enemy creatures as you play through the campaign is fucking brilliant and makes it way more interesting.

port is fantastic too. game looks fantastic, that engine is still golden and it has pretty much anything you could want options-wise, including FOV slider.

competent PC options + fantastic port + adding that whole new mode with L4D2 characters really makes you realize that Capcom are probably the Japanese company that best gets PC and Steam and how to do it.

I'm not loving the game and I share what most people criticize, but there's enough in there to make me wanna play through it, specially in just how smooth it is in every aspect. based cacpcom

rtcn63

Did you play all of RE5? Because it becomes Gears of Resident Evil about 50% through...

Well, I must have liked RE5's Gears homage over RE6's. I was at the point where I was just running past enemies, where as I savored killing everything and everything's anus in RE5.

Salsa

I'll probably play through RE5 again but on co-op once GFWL goes away, which given Capcom's steam fever is pretty likely I gather, cheevos and all

Dusk Golem

I literally can't decide which one I like more/less between Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, and Revelations. Like I know I like RE4 more than all of them by a longshot, and I know I like Operation Raccoon City less than all of them by a longshot. But between the three of them, there's things I like more/less about all three of them, and I just can't decide which one I like best/worst between them.

Resident Evil 5 I think is the most balanced experience, and makes a perfect sort of co-op arcade shooter game. Some great upgrade and unlockable elements.

But Resident Evil 6 I find has really fun combat mechanics and I really love its Mercs mode. Also the campaign has bigs ups and downs and I love the variety and ambition on display.

But Revelations has some fun ideas and more exploration elements and horror tones. It doesn't hit it out of the ballpark, but more down-downed horror elements I appreciate and Raid Mode is a lot of fun.

I am so split between them on their own scale.

Salsa

I like this subplot where justin bieber totally wants to be boned by chris. it's like they saw all the creepy fanart and said 'ok let's let them play as someone who's all over Chris' rock punching dick'

Dusk Golem

Also I still am holding hope when they remove GFWL from RE5 (which they will, it's Capcom's top selling game of all time) that they add the freaking Gold Edition content to Steam. Seriously. the two DLC chapters and Mercenaries Reunion are the best parts of RE5.

I secretly am hoping the reason they haven't properly announced it is because they've been working on the Gold Edition content for the Steam version to surprise us all.

Salsa

I literally can't decide which one I like more/less between Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, and Revelations. Like I know I like RE4 more than all of them by a longshot, and I know I like Operation Raccoon City less than all of them by a longshot. But between the three of them, there's things I like more/less about all three of them, and I just can't decide which one I like best/worst between them.

Resident Evil 5 I think is the most balanced experience, and makes a perfect sort of co-op arcade shooter game. Some great upgrade and unlockable elements.

But Resident Evil 6 I find has really fun combat mechanics and I really love its Mercs mode. Also the campaign has bigs ups and downs and I love the variety and ambition on display.

But Revelations has some fun ideas and more exploration elements and horror tones. It doesn't hit it out of the ballpark, but more down-downed horror elements I appreciate and Raid Mode is a lot of fun.

Revelations is just too barebones, which in part is part of the charm but at the same time makes it repetitive

RE6 is too broken up. they don't leave me alone enough. I'm enjoying an encounter and suddenly it breaks into a QTE or vehicle section or something I just don't enjoy as much

RE5 has the best balance. it has the best gunplay to me (re6 of course has better character movement), and by far the best pace, in the sense that they just leave you alone playing the game. sure there's QTEs and whatnot but they're not that bothersome, the meat of the game is still you making your way through levels at your own pace and shooting things in a satisfactory manner

RE6 is so, so interrupting. just leave me aloooooone I don't need for it to go at fucking mach speed the whole time

Dusk Golem

And before anyone asks, and because I want to blab about it, if you haven't experienced the Gold Edition content of RE5, you are seriously missing the best part.

The two DLC chapters are about an 1-2 hours each, but are more replayble than any other chapter in the game as they both introduce randomized elements, making going through them multiple times different. Randomization applies to items, to enemy locations (and enemy types in Desperate Escape), and a few other things here and there.

Lost in Nightmares is legitimately actually pretty atmospheric, and is probably the best realized 'co-op' horror I've seen yet, not perfect but it's not a bad strike at all. The mansion setting is cool and nostalgic like, some cool secrets like fixed-camera angle easter egg, and some fun tense segments.

Desperate Escape is challenging but rampant and tense. It basically is a chapter that feels like those tough close-encounters in RE5 but ramped to 11. Some fun strategizing survival and overcoming challenges, in my opinion.

Mercenaries Reunion not only has new characters (including Barry Burton and Rebecca Chambers playable) but also is basically Mercenaries on crack. Your characters are more powerful, but the enemy forces are also a lot stronger, more varied, and just end up a lot more fun to fight in my opinion.

Revelations is just too barebones, which in part is part of the charm but at the same time makes it repetitive

RE6 is too broken up. they don't leave me alone enough. I'm enjoying an encounter and suddenly it breaks into a QTE or vehicle section or something I just don't enjoy as much

RE5 has the best balance. it has the best gunplay to me (re6 of course has better character movement), and by far the best pace, in the sense that they just leave you alone playing the game. sure there's QTEs and whatnot but they're not that bothersome, the meat of the game is still you making your way through levels at your own pace and shooting things in a satisfactory manner

RE6 is so, so interrupting. just leave me aloooooone I don't need for it to go at fucking mach speed the whole time

Some feel like that on Revelations, but I don't fully agree. It is in some ways, but I also like some of the hidden depth to the way combat works and the enemies in particular I like, and elements like swimming and such.

RE5 does have the best balance, I will not disagree.

RE6 I think has the best combat, though it definitely shines best in Mercenaries No Reunion. I also may overlook its interruptions as I thought the swing-up can be a lot of fun in co-op the first time, and have beaten it several times so I know what to expect now.

Anteater

yeah ok i just started playing RE6 and the prologue was kind of lame because I couldn't access most of the options, the save system is awkward as well, and the UI is weird, the game is kind of rough and I see my teammate AI just standing around, maybe he was just really scared or some shit, lots of walking, etc, and because I quit the game half way through I had to restart the game when I loaded it up again, like, wtf is this shit, in the first chapter after the prologue I quit again because i really needed to take a poop, and there we go gotta start all over again despite having gone through a few checkpoints, so I guess those checkpoints are for when you die.

After some hindrance, shit is kind of fun, I think the controls are way better than RE5, it reminds me of binary domain but 5 times better so far, I'm like punching shit rolling out of the way and elbowing motherfuckers in the face.

Salsa

yeah I want that dlc

and it's kinda ridiculous they didn't put it out on PC considering how well RE5 sells

guess it just took em a while to get the PC market but they always tried hard. MT framework on PC is just dreamy

Levyne

Banned
It took me a long time to get used to RE6's interface from RE5, doesn't help that they slightly alter it based on the character. Mercenaries and Mercenaries No Mercy is pretty damn fun.

Dusk Golem

If anyone wants a RE6 partner, I don't mind joining anyone at all. I may mess around a bit though and let you lead, though.

(Steam name is AestheticGamer)

Salsa

yeah ok i just started playing RE6 and the prologue was kind of lame because I couldn't access most of the options, the save system is awkward as well, and the UI is weird, the game is kind of rough and I see my teammate AI just standing around, maybe he was just really scared or some shit, lots of walking, etc, and because I quit the game half way through I had to restart the game when I loaded it up again, like, wtf is this shit, in the first chapter after the prologue I quit again because i really needed to take a poop, and there we go gotta start all over again despite having gone through a few checkpoints, so I guess those checkpoints are for when you die.

After some hindrance, shit is kind of fun, I think the controls are way better than RE5, it reminds me of binary domain but 5 times better so far, I'm like punching shit rolling out of the way and elbowing motherfuckers in the face.

I'm on ep 2 of Chris now, let me know and we can co-op, I just have the game open when I play so anyone can join

Turfster

See, I want to try these newer Resident Evils (6 and Revelaitons), but RE5 was such a piece of crap that I'm kinda leery about spending money on them.

Dusk Golem

Before I play the game with anyone, I just needed to post this.

RE69.png

The double 69 on my Resident Evil 6 stats page coincidence.

Salsa

See, I want to try these newer Resident Evils (6 and Revelaitons), but RE5 was such a piece of crap that I'm kinda leery about spending money on them.

im tempted to say if you didnt enjoy 5 you probably wont enjoy 6 cause to me 5 really is better, but they're so different that you might end up enjoying 6 more

Javier23

Banned
Regardless of Cryostasis not being anymore on Steam and thus being rather valuable, it is a fantastic game. Very, very atmospheric. It might not be the best thing ever, but I play games with the rather often silly hope of being transported into another world and living though an experience worth remembering. Cryostasis sure was one. And I don't say that a lot these days.

also about RE6 dude, game is really ambitious and does a lot of things right, in terms of potential at least, specially on PC.

as said a hundred times by even people who hate it: character movement is great. snappy, responsive, etc. I feel like where the game fails is in making the shooting feel as tight as previous games, for some reason, and mostly in lacklusting encounters and just mediocre to bad level design, SPECIALLY if you're playing alone. game is tailored way more towards coop than RE5.

I like the online options, tho, and I'm even surprised at them. not only is it smart about letting other players join, which it does really seamlessly without ruining your experience at all, but also that mode where people can randomly enter your game to control enemy creatures as you play through the campaign is fucking brilliant and makes it way more interesting.

port is fantastic too. game looks fantastic, that engine is still golden and it has pretty much anything you could want options-wise, including FOV slider.

competent PC options + fantastic port + adding that whole new mode with L4D2 characters really makes you realize that Capcom are probably the Japanese company that best gets PC and Steam and how to do it.

I'm not loving the game and I share what most people criticize, but there's enough in there to make me wanna play through it, specially in just how smooth it is in every aspect. based cacpcom

There is no way in hell that RE6 is more geared toward co-op than RE5.
Also RE6 encounters may leave something to be desired, but compared to RE5, you're using lackluster on the wrong game.

I had a bunch of fun with RE5, but after RE4, it was a huge disappointment and several steps in the wrong direction for me. RE6 added a lot of things that should have been in RE5, had better setpieces and locations, better enemy design, etc. But that's just my take. :p

I know it goes RE4 > RE6 >>> RE5 for me. I haven't played RE:R yet, so I can't put that in the list. RE5 had a lot of annoyances and was too Gears of War meets RE meets Army of Two. I have NEVER played a story section of an RE game in co-op and I can't say I have any desire to at this point. RE6 did the co-op better because they took away the ability of the AI to die in 3 seconds flat and gave it better overall support type intelligence. When you remove puzzles that are designed for co-op and required you to wait for the AI to do some sort of task for you in RE5... RE6 is just heads and shoulders above it. Better Mercenaries mode, better inventory system... the upgrade system was a push, mostly...

RE6 is so much better than RE5, IMO.
Did it ever get a demo on Steam?

dot

Seeing all this RE6 talk makes me want to play it again...but i'm waiting for possible playfire rewards for it before getting into it again (all i got is the tutorial achievement).

speaking of playfire rewards, is it working for anyone else? The last thing i got for it is Rush Bros.

beta is beta i guess

Dusk Golem

Wait what, this is the first I'm hearing of this. I really should have picked it up during the GMG sale.

RE6 has a mechanic where, if you allow it in a lobby, one to three (I believe?) people can invade other peoples game in various sections through all the campaigns as monsters and try to prevent them from completing the section.

Even has some skills you can unlock for the monsters, and a good variety. Some of them control like ass, but some of them are pretty fun. Everything from zombies to dogs to lizards to crows to regenerating monsters.

Salsa

apparently I still have my RE5 screenshots, kewl

based MT Framework

RE5:

iF6Jgw1ihKtQl.png

iwf4aT52AVyy0.png

iPh2AYbRJtu8G.png

RE6:

iDstxsHT43eUE.png

iJtISk7651ZHi.png

ibcNkZxaObLFSC.png

even Revelations can look alright at some points:

iknC4LuGIOo3g.png

they're not the best looking games ever but when you consider the fact that they run at 60fps on a toaster it's pretty good

RE6 has a mechanic where, if you allow it in a lobby, one to three (I believe?) people can invade other peoples game in various sections through all the campaigns as monsters and try to prevent them from completing the section.

Even has some skills you can unlock for the monsters, and a good variety. Some of them control like ass, but some of them are pretty fun. Everything from zombies to dogs to lizards to crows to regenerating monsters.
It's weird that I've heard a lot just from general murmurs of the game but not this. Instantly springs up my interest. Next sale, RE6. Next sale.

Salsa

There is no way in hell that RE6 is more geared toward co-op than RE5.

I've experienced a lot more of "here i'll help you up" *stand around waiting for AI partner to do something*

or "hey help me go through here!" *mash button while AI partner shoots down zambies*

or needlessly big levels when you're separated and whatnot

Seeing all this RE6 talk makes me want to play it again...but i'm waiting for possible playfire rewards for it before getting into it again (all i got is the tutorial achievement).

speaking of playfire rewards, is it working for anyone else? The last thing i got for it is Rush Bros.

beta is beta i guess

Yes, it's working again, but there was a large period of time where it didn't work. If you have achievements earned during valid time periods, the only way to get them added back is to submit a CSR ticket.

--

Desura client is such garbage. I give it my password and check "auto" for login... and the next time I open the client? Password field is blank and I have to go look it up in my pw vault. How hard is it to implement saved login information, really? (The answer is "not very hard".)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yes, it's working again, but there was a large period of time where it didn't work. If you have achievements earned during valid time periods, the only way to get them added back is to submit a CSR ticket.

--

Desura client is such garbage. I give it my password and check "auto" for login... and the next time I open the client? Password field is blank and I have to go look it up in my pw vault. How hard is it to implement saved login information, really? (The answer is "not very hard".)

yup that auto login fail is annoying me lately

Pachimari

If I get a retail version of Cryostatis, can it activate on Steam?

And can i play through the campaign in co-op in both RE5 and RE6?

Salsa

also those raving about the online features: keep in mind, there's not that much people playing

I couldnt find mercenaries games yesterday and no one joined my campaign (did happen a couple times in other sessions tho)

ended up playing a round of no mercy with dragonlife

ibqJGfngS4iw0O.png

Dusk Golem

I've heard that the monster invasion bit is completely throwaway but I've never actually tried it myself.

It's not the best thing since sliced bread, but it's fun for some shits and giggles. It's not bad, but all it really does is let you hinder other peoples games and score skill points by playing it. Which is fun, but not really necessary, and you don't choose who's game you invade (but can set up specifics to search for).

Some hate the monster controls, as most of the monsters have tank-like controls, but the only one I personally have trouble controlling is the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom