• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

SteamGAF, I call on thee.

I just finished Torchlight II and I need more loot-based ARPG in me.

Any recommendations? I've never played Diablo 2 to completion and haven't touched it since about 5 years... but I don't know if it holds up enough today. Anything more modern and similar to Torchlight?

Diablo 3 if you want something better.
Van Helsing if you want a lesser Diablo 3 with no online only requirement (this is a big plus, nothing like a network disconnect ruining your mood).
Grim Dawn is interesting, no online only requirement though not as fun as D3 or Van Helsing.
I highly dislike PoE but many swear it's awesome. It has the same problem as D3 = it's online only.

I don't think Diablo 2 holds up today, with the clunky and obstructive UI and the 800x600 max resolution, but if you liked it enough it might be not be a huge issue for you.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
wait, so BL2 GOTY edition doesn't include dlcs? Why would anyone buy it then?

what's going on here?
is it THAT time of the day? (><)

It includes only the major ones. All the costume packs, the level cap upgrades and the mercenary packs are sold separately. Huge dick move from Gearbox

Garteal

I wouldn't recommend the first game, unless you want it for your collection only. There's not much of a community left and it's not exactly enjoyable to play in single player
I'm going to be playing it with my brother primarily so I should be good to go. We've played through it on the PS3, but it was horrendous due to the framerate and small screen estate due to local play ofc.

Yeah, see my edit. Considering the last time B2 GOTY went on sale it was half off, I'd expect 66% off.
I've edited my previous post.
Yeah it did. Going to assume the 'worst' case then.

The_Monk

My good people I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be able to finish everything Half-Life related... :(

If it's not the feel that I'm about to throw up, I start to feel dizzy and I get some signs similar to having a seizure. I do not suffer from epilepsy despite that I had a semi-epilepsy attack that was stopped (as in, they injected me some strong tranquillizer) just in time. I wonder if there's anything I can do to improve this. I played a wide variety of games and this is the only one that this happens... Sorry for the slight off-topic.

zkylon

zkylewd
what are you people doing to me T_T

You hurt me. Would have sworn by now everyone would know her name.
Looks like I have failed. Though playing a japanese copy is understandable I suppose.
Dunno who baddie is unless you mean kirk or gale.
well in my old days of playing everything in japanese i would just make up my own stories so you know, i probably decided some guy was the bad dude or something

i remember coming up with a much better story for bahamut lagoon than when i actually played that crap with the translation patch. man was that a letdown

wait, so BL2 GOTY edition doesn't include dlcs? Why would anyone buy it then?

what's going on here?
is it THAT time of the day? (><)
people are learning about ahegao

Arthea

It includes only the major ones. All the costume packs, the level cap upgrades and the mercenary packs are sold separately. Huge dick move from Gearbox

ya that's sure way to enrage your customers.
and reminds me of SR season passes, that I'm still mad about.

Copons

My good people I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be able to finish everything Half-Life related... :(

If it's not the feel that I'm about to throw up, I start to feel dizzy and I get some signs similar to having a seizure. I do not suffer from epilepsy despite that I had a semi-epilepsy attack that was stopped (as in, they injected me some strong tranquillizer) just in time. I wonder if there's anything I can do to improve this. I played a wide variety of games and this is the only one that this happens... Sorry for the slight off-topic.

Argh motion sickness is the worst. :(
ok, epilepsy is worse, but still

I had it with Serious Sam 3, and people here suggested to increase the FOV as much as I could, but I never got to try it because I'm too scared to be sick again.

Anyway, motion sickness in Source games is kinda common. At least I have several IRL friends who just can't play Source games for this reason. :(

zkylon

zkylewd

u know, my brother has a similar thing with half life, he gets very easily nauseated playing it and could never finish hl2 despite how much i poked and shamed him

he beat both portals, played a lot of tf2 and l4d so it's nothing source-related

weird

It is a wonderful fetish.
i want to go on record i did not intend my avatar to be taken to such filthy directions

u know, my brother has a similar thing with half life, he gets very easily nauseated playing it and could never finish hl2 despite how much i poked and shamed him

he beat both portals, played a lot of tf2 and l4d so it's nothing source-related

weird
I'm like your brother, that's why I haven't beaten HL2 yet, it literally makes me sick. I got a little bit nauseous from playing Portal 1, but it's tolerable, other Source games are fine.

Tizoc

zkylon it doesn't matter if they're catgirls or foxgirls, they're all fan-drawn the same. One is more sluttier than the former though.

Notice how cat-eared people in art/games/whatever either have hair covering the sides of their heads, or 2 sets of ears. Just imagine not having ears on the sides of your head, and how aesthetically weird that would be.

Having no ears on the side of your head is something I can get, but the way the ears are drawn in most art makes it seem like they have part of their head skin/fur extend up until the ear starts to show.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't talk to people that write my name wrong

I'm like your brother, that's why I haven't beaten HL2 yet, it literally makes me sick. I got a little bit nauseous from playing Portal 1, but it's tolerable, other Source games are fine.
this is very weird

maybe we should take you, monk and my bro to valve to have your brains scanned

since you're there you can bring me a christmas vortigaunt plushie

this is very weird

since you're there you can bring me a christmas vortigaunt plushie
People say it has something to do with HL2's narrow FOV, but widening didn't help all that much.

The_Monk

Argh motion sickness is the worst. :(
ok, epilepsy is worse, but still

I had it with Serious Sam 3, and people here suggested to increase the FOV as much as I could, but I never got to try it because I'm too scared to be sick again.

Anyway, motion sickness in Source games is kinda common. At least I have several IRL friends who just can't play Source games for this reason. :(

I do not suffer from epilepsy because the seizure was stopped in time, I'm very thankful for that. I never checked if there's a FOV option in these games.

weird

I don't have problems with Left 4 Dead 2, and that game have much more lightning/strob effects and bigger contrasts between dark and light, I only have this issue with the Half-Life series.

*Kind bro hug*

I actually finished Half-Life 2 (I've been trying to finish HL2 Ep. 1 now, 2-ish hours in) but it took me so many tries with tiny bursts of time playing. And don't even mention that Boat Level... That was the worst part to deal with.

I wonder what causes this and why this is the only series that I am highly affected.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Neat, you can actually choose between timeline's in the chapter select in Wolfenstein: New Order. I haven't made it to Berlin yet but so far the only difference between the Wyatt and Fergus timeline's are the kinds of doors you can interact with. In the Wyatt timeline you can pick locks, in the Fergus timeline you can hotwire things. If you want to collect everything it seems as though you have to play through both timeline's.
I'm saving the armor collectibles as an excuse to replay the game down the road. I'm hoping they release some dlc too.

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel that if by now you haven't beaten hl2 you shouldn't bother

it just makes you grow bitter over being dumped by valve

*Kind bro hug*

I actually finished Half-Life 2 (I've been trying to finish HL2 Ep. 1 now, 2-ish hours in) but it took me so many tries with tiny bursts of time playing. And don't even mention that Boat Level... That was the worst part to deal with.

I wonder what causes this and why this is the only series that I am highly affected.
I no-clip'd through the boat level, Ravenholm was a nightmare!

probably

dks1 boss quality went way up with the artorias dlc doe

Dark Souls had some good boss battles too... but nothing that was a nightmare for me like 2-2 or 3-2 in Demon's Souls. Never played the Artoias DLC.

Just got rid of the PS3 (gave it away to my parents, then I can borrow it for Persona 5 next year and for Tekken Tag 2 and Metal Gear Solid) but I'm also thinking of selling my Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation Vita and Wii U now, and just going with PC and PS4 this generation.

Think I'm gonna make a decision after E3.

I would keep the Vita for remote play alone, even if you weren't a fan of the currently native lineup.

I do not suffer from epilepsy because the seizure was stopped in time, I'm very thankful for that. I never checked if there's a FOV option in these games.

I don't have problems with Left 4 Dead 2, and that game have much more lightning/strob effects and bigger contrasts between dark and light, I only have this issue with the Half-Life series.

*Kind bro hug*

I finally sat down 5 or 6 years ago and played HL2 + Episodes via The Orange Box on x360 (Portal too, after the cake meme hit the mainstream and everyone was all about Still Alive). I thought it felt like just about every other FPS with some really bad vehicle and platforming sections. Ravenholm was kind of neat but nowhere near the hype level people give it and overall the games felt alright or average to me.

If I had to frame it in a positive light, for me playing HL2 + Episodes was better than Halo. That should make the HL2 fans happy, I think. ;)

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

Ew. That's a shame. :(
Are you FOV sensitive? Maybe try fiddling with those settings. Or try playing a bit slower; walk and turn the camera slowly, maybe dial down the difficulty if it becomes too hard because of that. Tried playing with a controller to avoid the "shakyness" (My English grammar is failing me...) of the camera when playing with a mouse?

Just some idea's. :)
I suffer from Epilepsy myself, so I understand your frustration.

The_Monk

Please, don't take me back to the labs!

i feel that if by now you haven't beaten hl2 you shouldn't bother

it just makes you grow bitter over being dumped by valve

Half-Life 2 was finished last year. I checked the "How Long to beat" website and Episode 1 seems short, haven't searched about Episode 2.

I got motion sickness from hl2 the first time playing it, but I thought it was because of the boat ride

You too, Anteater? What is wrong with these games!

zkylon

zkylewd
Dark Souls had some good boss battles too... but nothing that was a nightmare for me like 2-2 or 3-2 in Demon's Souls. Never played the Artoias DLC.
well if you haven't done artorias dlc then you haven't seen anything

that dlc is basically a collection of epic bosses

I finally sat down and played HL2 + Episodes via The Orange Box on x360. I thought it felt like just about every other FPS with some really bad vehicle and platforming sections. Ravenholm was kind of neat but nowhere near the hype level people give it and overall the games felt alright or average to me.

If I had to frame it in a positive light, for me playing HL2 + Episodes was better than Halo. That should make the HL2 fans happy, I think. ;)
huh? ravenholm hype? everyone hates ravenholm :/

and u know hl2 today is not that special but back in 2004 some of the level design shit they did was pretty forward thinking what with guiding people through lighting and prop placement and crap

also the universe they came up with is pretty sick

also ego stroking by giving you the ethnically perfect alyx praising everything you do

Half-Life 2 was finished last year. I checked the "How Long to beat" website and Episode 1 seems short, haven't searched about Episode 2.
ep 2 is maybe a bit longer

it also features tons of driving

it's also the best hl2 thing ever

To be fair, it only affects a small portion of humanity.
yea i wouldn't call my brother human tho

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Talking about discomforts while gaming; I'm enjoying Remember Me, but screw you developers for not giving the option to turn off the shakecam and the idiotic amount of flickering thingy's in certain scenes. :/

nai

Aww, Greenmangaming is declining my card for some reason :(

edit: WTF, they are charging my card anyway every time I try. 10 Times already.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Some googling shows that HL2 making people motion sick isn't uncommon. I actually got a feel for that when I started up Serious Sam 3, but upping the FOV there helped.

You can up HL2's FOV to 90, but it doesn't seem to go beyond that. I'd also recommend triple buffering (and downsamping while you're at it) if your GPU can handle it. It'll help with screen tearing.

The_Monk

Ew. That's a shame. :(
Are you FOV sensitive? Maybe try fiddling with those settings. Or try playing a bit slower; walk and turn the camera slowly, maybe dial down the difficulty if it becomes too hard because of that. Tried playing with a controller to avoid the "shakyness" (My English grammar is failing me...) of the camera when playing with a mouse?

Just some idea's. :)
I suffer from Epilepsy myself, so I understand your frustration.

I honestly don't know if I'm FOV sensitive. Half-Life didn't felt right a controller despite playing many other games with one. Difficulty is already on Easy. As a mentioned earlier, I don't suffer from Epilepsy. Sorry that you do. :(

To be fair, it only affects a small portion of humanity.

I'm going to assume you are calling me special and take that as a compliment, thanks! :p

Maxwood

The Maneaters... :/
The Gargoyles are really easy compared to those shmucks.
I found the Artorias DLC to be the best piece of Souls content available, with the best bosses in the series, so I really reccomend buying and playing that *sometime* in the future. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
i still think demons is the best out of the series but not by a wide margin, specially after the artorias dlc

the dungeons are just so fucking good

Milamber

I'm going to assume you are calling me special and take that as a compliment, thanks! :p

No worries, my little brother suffers from that as well, but he has no issues on some console games. My current theory is that if the game runs too smoothly he gets it so anything under 30 fps is fine for him.

The Maneaters... :/
The Gargoyles are really easy compared to those shmucks.
I found the Artorias DLC to be the best piece of Souls content available, with the best bosses in the series, so I really reccomend buying and playing that *sometime* in the future. :)

I'm waiting for steamworks in Dark Souls and then I'll give that a playthrough, unlock whatever achievements I can that aren't related to the DLC, then go 100% the DLC, since I already platinumed Dark Souls on PS3.

i still think demons is the best out of the series but not by a wide margin, specially after the artorias dlc

the dungeons are just so fucking good

Demon's was just so fresh and new. Dark brought some new things and some were good and some were not so good, but it just couldn't recapture the distinct feel that each one of I think worlds 3 and 4 were my favorites. They just oozed atmosphere, though some of the bosses in the other worlds were preferred.

That crap they pulled with the 3-1 boys was just cruel. ;)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It can be one of two things: either your credit card company is preventing the transaction from completing as it thinks it may be fraud or GMG is blocking the transaction as their own system can be overzealous in detecting fraud.

If it's your credit card company, you'll get a phone call asking to verify your purchase. If it's GMG, you'll need to email support.

Grief.exe

Fairly common. Green Man is located in the UK and your bank won't like a charge from out of the country.

I always use Paypal at GMG as my card doesn't work at all, then the bank cancels it for fear of fraud.

zkylon

zkylewd

nai

It can be one of two things: either your credit card company is preventing the transaction from completing as it thinks it may be fraud or GMG is blocking the transaction as their own system can be overzealous in detecting fraud.

If it's your credit card company, you'll get a phone call asking to verify your purchase. If it's GMG, you'll need to email support.

I've used my card many times before without problems. I also called my card company to ask, but they say that nothing is blocked on their end.

Pachimari

I would keep the Vita for remote play alone, even if you weren't a fan of the currently native lineup.

I finally sat down 5 or 6 years ago and played HL2 + Episodes via The Orange Box on x360 (Portal too, after the cake meme hit the mainstream and everyone was all about Still Alive). I thought it felt like just about every other FPS with some really bad vehicle and platforming sections. Ravenholm was kind of neat but nowhere near the hype level people give it and overall the games felt alright or average to me.

Nah, I haven't used remote play at all. I only have a 1-room apartment anyway.

Talking about discomforts while gaming; I'm enjoying Remember Me, but screw you developers for not giving the option to turn off the shakecam and the idiotic amount of flickering thingy's in certain scenes. :/

agreed. So much flickering. The game is very pretty to look at, but static environments are pretty lame.

oi. That's today? Welp. See you on the other side guys.

Just 1 final game left to go

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

NightSky -- MB-BB63B17149631C57

zkylon

zkylewd
no countdown thingie for e3?

i haven't slept all night (someday i'll be normal) so time isn't moving ok for me right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom