• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm, I have downloaded the High-res Characters mod and the texture mod plus update.

These are hard to install..

Can't help you there, sorry. When I played through the game myself a couple of years ago or so I didn't think to look for mods and I haven't touched it since (I'm waiting until TW3 is closer).

Apparently The Harvest was taken off steam a few days ago. I got my copy from GMG a while back and it seems to be gone from there as well. Interestingly while the community pages are still up all the reviews are gone.

If you are a collector I imagine they are going to get very scarce, very quickly unless a new source is found. If you are not a collector, you're not missing much anyway!

MUnited83

For you.
Blaming companies following regional pricing, which is economics 101. Some of you guys ...

Also being disgusted at free credits? That entitlement

Funnily enough, despite your claim, nobody said that they were disgusted with the free credits. And the regional pricing is retarded no matter the way you look at it. And your "point" doesn't stand at all. The only reason for many europeans to buy from GMG at all is by using free credits.

JaseC

Apparently The Harvest was taken off steam a few days ago. I got my copy from GMG a while back and it seems to be gone from there as well. Interestingly while the community pages are still up all the reviews are gone.

If you are a collector I imagine they are going to get very scarce, very quickly unless a new source is found. If you are not a collector, you're not missing much anyway!

For a moment there I confused that with Harvester and my heart skipped a beat.

Edit: You Don't Know Jack was also yanked recently, about a week ago now. Jackbox publishes the other games that are available so I assume Nordic's contract expired.

Pachimari

Can't help you there, sorry. When I played through the game myself a couple of years ago or so I didn't think to look for mods and I haven't touched it since (I'm waiting until TW3 is closer).

I think I have solved it.

Your help is fantastic. :)

I'm gonna try it out.

_hekk05

Banned
Funnily enough, despite your claim, nobody said that they were disgusted with the free credits. And the regional pricing is retarded no matter the way you look at it. And your "point" doesn't stand at all. The only reason for many europeans to buy from GMG at all is by using free credits.

Oh. I might have misunderstood the credits part.

You do know regional pricing is basically an attempt to make sure everyone pays an equal proportion of their disposable income for a certain good right? Kinda like how Big Macs cost different amounts when you compare them across the world.

Isn't practically everything in western europe more expensive when converted?

masterkajo

Hmm, I have downloaded the High-res Characters mod and the texture mod plus update.

These are hard to install..

I have installed the patch you linked. I'll see how that goes. :)

From what I can remember all you have to do is give the highrestexture mod your Witcher install directory and it does everything by itself. If you want to install manually you have to move everything into a "override" directory which if it doesn't exist already, you'd have to create yourself.

Knurek

You do know regional pricing is basically an attempt to make sure everyone pays an equal proportion of their disposable income for a certain good right? Kinda like how Big Macs cost different amounts when you compare them across the world.

I'll repeat. Average wage here in Poland is $945. Why the fuck are we expected to pay the same (or more, depending on store) than countries like Norway ($4900) or Switzerland ($5600).
Please explain in what economics reality this makes an iota of sense?

_hekk05

Banned
I'll repeat. Average wage here in Poland is $945. Why the fuck are we expected to pay the same (or more, depending on store) than countries like Norway ($4900) or Switzerland ($5600).

Well they certainly do seem to think you guys can afford it. Seems more to me like the profits they make from the few who buy outweighs the profit they make from cheap stuff sold to many.

Not saying this is the case, of course, but it certainly seems to be what the store is thinking. Whether they're right or not is an entirely separate issue.

Also taxes and stuff

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Actually, I have a question in regards to the gray market. How come there are lots of non-russian traders that are matching russian prices. I suppose they are bulk buying games from russians but that does sound a bit risky and not very profitable for them

Arthea

Let's not forget it's not only Poland, it's half of Europe riding that bus for poor people that have to pay more than anybody else, and look, nobody cares, as usual (._.)
Well, maybe lesser part, not that I sit and measure, but you get my point. (><)

Actually, I have a question in regards to the gray market. How come there are lots of non-russian traders that are matching russian prices. I suppose they are bulk buying games from russians but that does sound a bit risky and not very profitable for them

Is it really risky? I mean can one just make account (fake one) and buy games using VPN on it for sale and self. Or is that impossible somehow? I'm pretty sure of one thing: if there is any loophole, some people will use it.

JaseC

Actually, I have a question in regards to the gray market. How come there are lots of non-russian traders that are matching russian prices. I suppose they are bulk buying games from russians but that does sound a bit risky and not very profitable

That or perhaps they've set up a secondary account with a valid Eastern European payment method, the latter of which is playing with fire.

no countdown thingie for e3?

i haven't slept all night (someday i'll be normal) so time isn't moving ok for me right now

I got like 3.5 hours last night. Went to bed normally but had to be up to go to a conference. Want thrilled in the first place, but I'm even more on edge because my dog has pneumonia and I'd rather be home monitoring her.

Tl;Dr: normal is highly overrated (and boring, too).

t1402331400z4.png

I had someone summoned helping me with the Maneaters and he died when the first one was at like 25% health, but I still managed them on that run.

I used to get thrown off so much that I startef taking out one with arrows before I entered the gate. Love those exploits. ;)

Im probably most excited for Project Beast.

Only reason ps4 is even on my radar.

Is GMGs IFD sale their actually summer sale?

I think so but it's been mostly dorsal pointing for me. I picked up strike vector for $5 but that's it so far.

I'm waiting for steamworks in Dark Souls and then I'll give that a playthrough, unlock whatever achievements I can that aren't related to the DLC, then go 100% the DLC, since I already platinumed Dark Souls on PS3.

Demon's was just so fresh and new. Dark brought some new things and some were good and some were not so good, but it just couldn't recapture the distinct feel that each one of I think worlds 3 and 4 were my favorites. They just oozed atmosphere, though some of the bosses in the other worlds were preferred.

That crap they pulled with the 3-1 boss was just cruel. ;)

Fixed.

Nah, I haven't used remote play at all. I only have a 1-room apartment anyway.

Boothisman.gif

As long as you get rid of your 3ds too, I guess we can still be friends. 8p

Enco

GMG completely fell off the wagon.

I remember when they first started up. Their prices were insane.

Now they're on the overpriced side. Don't see any reason to buy anything from them.

Humble Store > Steam > GOG >>> GMG >>> Other

Knurek

Let's not forget it's not only Poland, it's half of Europe riding that bus for poor people that have to pay more than anybody else, and look, nobody cares, as usual (._.)

Obviously, most of Central/Eastern Europe is affected.
To put things into perspective, our average wage is only slightly (10-15%) higher than Russian one, and we all know the prices they get.

Arthea

GMG completely fell off the wagon.

I remember when they first started up. Their prices were insane.

Now they're on the overpriced side. Don't see any reason to buy anything from them.

Humble Store > Steam > GOG >>> GMG >>> Other

Traders (RU) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GOG > Humble Store > Steam > GMG > Other
fixed that for you

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Is it really risky? I mean can one just make account (fake one) and buy games using VPN on it for sale and self. Or is that impossible somehow? I'm pretty sure of one thing: if there is any loophole, some people will use it.

I think it's possible but like JaseC said, they're playing with fire. Buying games by using a VPN isn't exactly acceptable on Steam

Traders (RU) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GOG > Humble Store > Steam > GMG > Other
fixed that for you

fantomena

When Tony left, Amazon sales did. When the Playfire rewards started, GMG sales died. WHen Humble introduced region blocking and new currencies, the Humble store died.

It's only Steam, GameFly and GamersGates pice error left for me.

SURVIVE!

Thank you.

You seem to understand that price differences can't just be blindly compared based on conversion rates.

I knew I liked you for a reason. ;)

Arthea

I think it's possible but like JaseC said, they're playing with fire. Buying games by using a VPN isn't exactly acceptable on Steam

so what? If they risk nothing with it, a fake account gets banned? They can create a new one. It's a lot of hassle surely, but some people are willing to fuss for money.

derExperte

so what? If they risk nothing with it, a fake account gets banned? They can create a new one. It's a lot of hassle surely, but some people are willing to fuss for money.

I seem to remember cases where multiple accounts including the main one got locked. Valve knows.

MUnited83

For you.
Oh. I might have misunderstood the credits part.

Sorry to tell you, that's not really how it works and it never was. We can pretend that it's that way, but it isn't, that's just dreaming. Europe has many many countries with variable economic conditions, and yet you don't see the "regional pricing" adapting to each one, do you? Regional pricing is idiotic practice unless you do it for every single country. Mine for example, has a äverage income much much lower than say, France or Germany. Do you think it's fair to pay the same as them?

JaseC

It's perfectly possible, but Valve can and has caught on to people using dummy accounts for the purpose of cross-region gifting (note the use of "accounts" rather than "account" in Raymond's response):

ALt6b.png

(Not my own image, of course.)

This is why I also recommend against using a VPN to bypass the gifting/trading flag.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
There's the Steam Group Chat!
I'm at work, can't make it.

Half the posts on GAF during the massive crunch times are people making 2 or 3 word posts on what's just happened, so you get pages and pages of people saying "NEW TEKKEN" over and over and then the site goes down. So annoying.
Those posts would be helpful for me, because I can't watch the conferences here. Unless my phone can stream from Twitch, which I doubt because it's crashing every 15 minutes (my phone, not the site).

_hekk05

Banned
Sorry to tell you, that's not really how it works and it never was. We can pretend that it's that way, but it isn't, that's just dreaming. Europe has many many countries with variable economic conditions, and yet you don't see the "regional pricing" adapting to each one, do you? Regional pricing is idiotic practice unless you do it for every single country. Mine for example, has a äverage income much much lower than say, France or Germany. Do you think it's fair to pay the same as them?

In a perfect world, regional pricing makes every one pay an equal amount for a good.

In an imperfect world, regional pricing makes you pay as much as you are willing to stomach for a good, and serves to maximise the profits of companies.

Its not about fairness, its about money. I can understand why companies do it.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously, most of Central/Eastern Europe is affected.
To put things into perspective, our average wage is only slightly (10-15%) higher than Russian one, and we all know the prices they get.

How is the piracy scene in Poland? Russian prices might be artificially low to entice legal purchasing and combat piracy.

Arthea

Much easier and risk-free to just get it from traders with tf2 keys imo.

I agree, totally, but we were talking about people that sell games, not buy them for their game count, as we do.
It does sound insane when I write it down, our way, I mean (><)

JaseC

Uhhh, am I the only one who don't understand The Witcher 1's combat system at all?

The tutorial isn't the best. Basically it's:

Click.
Wait a moment.
Click.
Wait a moment.
Click.

There's also the matter of magic and blade oils, though.

Have played and quit it twice because of its wonkiness.

It took me a good few tries to get into the game, but I'm glad I finally gave it a fair shake as I loved every minute of it (once I got the hang of things).

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Ball -- MB-7CA160407740B8CB - Taken by Arthea. 7 entrants total.

t1402323045z1.png

Enjoy!

MUnited83

For you.
In a perfect world, regional pricing makes every one pay an equal amount for a good.

In an imperfect world, regional pricing makes you pay as much as you are willing to stomach for a good, and serves to maximise the profits of companies.

Its not about fairness, its about money. I can understand why companies do it.

It's not even logical when you think about money either. They would get more sales if they fixed the price for lower-income countries, no doubt about it. As it is, I mostly just get game from russian traders or when insane deals happen on Amazon.com.

Pachimari

I'm currently fighting 2 guards and after 10 minutes still haven't beat them... grrr.

I don't understand. I click, and then I wait until the yellow icon appears to chain attack?

Copons

Italian average wage is definitely higher (should be around 1300€, almost 1800$), but still we have huge youth unemployment and the most fucked up job laws ever, relegating what should be the main target of gaming (let's say up to 35 years old or something) to wages lingering around 0€ to 800€.
As in out main cities rents are relatively overpriced (in Rome, a university student wanting to live around universities have to pay no less than 400€ for a single room in a shared flat, but even if you want to live in a shared room, rents don't go much lower than 300€), a young/not-so-young-anymore guy living by himself just DON'T have enough spare to pay for his hobby.

I understand that from an oversea standpoint EU region is still EU, and we all are old gentlemen drinking wine and olive oil, but fuck that, EU2 should be treated like the craphole of Europe that it actually is.
We already live like shit IRL, let's at least offer us significantly better prices than what rich peeps like DerExperte pay for their censored games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom