• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

I actually considered walking for an hour to my local Tesco's to pick up some Mountain Dew. What has the internet done to me?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm currently fighting 2 guards and after 10 minutes still haven't beat them... grrr.

I don't understand. I click, and then I wait until the yellow icon appears to chain attack?

Pretty much, yeah. I think you also have a few different combat stances to choose from (quick/regular/heavy or some such).

Knurek

How is the piracy scene in Poland? Russian prices might be artificially low to entice legal purchasing and combat piracy.

We haven't had any copyright law here up until 1994, so you can take a guess.
I'd say piracy is as prevalent here as in the rest of the world (maybe Japan/other police states excluded).

As in out main cities rents are relatively overpriced (in Rome, a university student wanting to live around universities have to pay no less than 400€ for a single room in a shared flat, but even if you want to live in a shared room, rents don't go much lower than 300€), a young/not-so-young-anymore guy living by himself just DON'T have enough spare to pay for his hobby.

Funnily enough, rent is about the same here.

_hekk05

Banned
It's not even logical when you think about money either. They would get more sales if they fixed the price for lower-income countries, no doubt about it. As it is, I mostly just get game from russian traders or when insane deals happen on Amazon.com.

Which leads to more profit: high sales with low profit margins, or low sales with high profit margins?

I can't really answer that question. If they ever lower the prices and find less profit, they can never raise those prices back again. So I guess they're afraid of that.

Again, some places have ridiculous taxes and uncertainty in the currency, which can also cause weird ass prices

Parsnip

Witcher's combat is really really clunky at best, but it wasn't a super hard game after you get past the starting area. Just be mindful of your stance (heavy, fast, group?) and correct weapon and click click click. I always used the combat pause to switch stances and weapons.

I realized today that I'm much more excited for E3 than last year.

Copons

Funnily enough, rent is about the same here.

It actually isn't funny at all!
How do you afford it?
I mean, here people living outside big cities have to stand gigantic sacrifices to send their kids to university
yeah, US peeps, you're CRAZY with all your loans and shit
and just the wealthies can afford to rent them a place fairly connected to universities (let alone the fact that in Rome public transport is hell broke loose, so you'd need to live right outside the university entrance to lead a fair school life :D ).

Oh well, in the end people are forced to live with their parents forever, and while this sucks, it's also super appropriate for our mommy's boys cliché.

Arthea

So i have Battlepaths in 3 different bundles none have STEAM keys did I miss something or are they just slow?

It was one of those games that you had to install on Desura to get the steam key, no way around it. If you bought more of them as I did, though luck, no steam keys for those.
I ranted about recent state of greenlight bundles recently, exactly for those reasons, not getting keys, even when promised.

Enco

It's perfectly possible, but Valve can and has caught on to people using dummy accounts for the purpose of cross-region gifting (note the use of "accounts" rather than "account" in Raymond's response):

http://i.imgur.com/ALt6b.png[/IM G]
(Not my own image, of course.)

This is why I also recommend [I]against[/I] using a VPN to bypass the gifting/trading flag.[/QUOTE]
Getting your Steam account banned would be a catastrophe.

Hopefully the GOG platform is good and comes out soon. If it is, I'll definitely sway towards it more. That and always going for the Humble Store first is the best thing to do in my opinion.

Having all your eggs in one basket is nice but risky.

Vuze

Woodle Tree Adventures is so tedious to play, but I like it at the same time.
Fired it up because of Playfire Rewards and I like the plasticine (is this the right word?) style and basic Mario-esque gameplay but no adjustable camera and no checkpoint system is pretty rough.

It was one of those games that you had to install on Desura to get the steam key, no way around it. If you bought more of them as I did, though luck, no steam keys for those.
I ranted about recent state of greenlight bundles recently, exactly for those reasons, not getting keys, even when promised.

Ah I tried the desura method on the desura website but not the client..kind of stupid but thanks

Trejik

It actually isn't funny at all!
How do you afford it?
I mean, here people living outside big cities have to stand gigantic sacrifices to send their kids to university
yeah, US peeps, you're CRAZY with all your loans and shit
and just the wealthies can afford to rent them a place fairly connected to universities (let alone the fact that in Rome public transport is hell broke loose, so you'd need to live right outside the university entrance to lead a fair school life :D ).

Oh well, in the end people are forced to live with their parents forever, and while this sucks, it's also super appropriate for our mommy's boys cliché.

Just to add some further insight, here in Spain we're also pretty screwed. Minimum wage for a 48 hour work week is 600€ (800 Dollars, although that is completely irrelevant.) Renting a room in Madrid, the worst room is around 250€ and you still have to pay around 300€ for University + 60€ for public transport since a car in the city is impossible, and then add on some food. You literally have no time and no money. I've had friends in this situation and they hate their lives and fall into depression.

What's even worse is that we have around a 40% unemployment rate for people between 18-30. It's broken. I mean, I actually have a respectable job, I work around 25-30 hours for 2.5 the minimum wage, it's still impossible for me to move out. 800€ for rent, 300 for utilities, and then food? Straight up impossible.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Getting your Steam account banned would be a catastrophe.

Hopefully the GOG platform is good and comes out soon. If it is, I'll definitely sway towards it more. That and always going for the Humble Store first is the best thing to do in my opinion.

Having all your eggs in one basket is nice but risky.
This doesn't even make sense. How do you think you would download your GOG games if your account gets banned?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
We haven't had any copyright law here up until 1994, so you can take a guess.
I'd say piracy is as prevalent here as in the rest of the world (maybe Japan/other police states excluded).

In that case, it's probably a market bearing situation then. :/

Many thanks!
you don't seem so angular after all!

Don't let digly read this.

Just to add some further insight, here in Spain we're also pretty screwed. Minimum wage for a 48 hour work week is 600€ (800 Dollars, although that is completely irrelevant.) Renting a room in Madrid, the worst room is around 250€ and you still have to pay around 300€ for University + 60€ for public transport since a car in the city is impossible, and then add on some food. You literally have no time and no money. I've had friends in this situation and they hate their lives and fall into depression.

What's even worse is that we have around a 40% unemployment rate for people between 18-30. It's broken. I mean, I actually have a respectable job, I work around 25-30 hours for 2.5 the minimum wage, it's still impossible for me to move out. 800€ for rent, 300 for utilities, and then food? Straight up impossible.

Still bad huh? I figured it had gotten better in the last couple of years.

Anteater

Witcher's combat is really really clunky at best, but it wasn't a super hard game after you get past the starting area. Just be mindful of your stance (heavy, fast, group?) and correct weapon and click click click. I always used the combat pause to switch stances and weapons.

I have zero hype about e3 for some reason, I don't really have anything to look forward to, but I guess I might be surprised since my expectations are low.

Arthea

Talking about Devil

Please read my instructions on those, pretty please!
These are actually steam keys, if you install games on Desura
I hope, I got right keys too. Sorry in advance for all problems it'll cause you

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
Spice Road (Desura) -- MB-A22A350EB8F2F7A1 - Taken by Dambrosi. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Battlepaths (Desura) -- MB-DB9AE63D5890CD83

t1402324805z1.png

Enco

This doesn't even make sense. How do you think you would download your GOG games if your account gets banned?
GOG games are DRM free so you'll probably have the installer on hand and it wont be an issue. Plus it's better to spread out risk if you feel the need.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Where can I see everything on sale @ GMG? There's a few games (BOI) that I've seen that aren't listed on the main IFD deals page.

Uzzy

Wish I could get excited. Seeing a whole bunch of console exclusive sequels paraded around like god's gift to gaming won't be fun.

I'm still hopeful we'll see some great stuff though. Lightning Trilogy for PC please Squeenix!

Pachimari

But how do I parry in The Witcher?

It feels like there's no connection between me and my enemy.

It always says I'm attacking too fast. And how do I dodge?

Arthea

Wish I could get excited. Seeing a whole bunch of console exclusive sequels paraded around like god's gift to gaming won't be fun.

I'm still hopeful we'll see some great stuff though. Lightning Trilogy for PC please Squeenix!

Ya, that would make for great E3, imagine reactions! I would be entertained for weeks, do it SE.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I always look forward to E3 for the awkward presentations, stage mishaps, occasional surprise reveals and the spectacle of it all. Loads of gifs being spawned out which still manage to be funny even if I personally have no stakes in any of the horses being strutted around.

What I don't look forward to are the massive piles of bans from tensions getting too high. Don't get baited fellas.

Also don't look forward to the site being dead as per usual, I feel lost when I hit the refresh button and the site isn't there. :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
morning

no new monday indiegala? disapointing!

_hekk05

Banned
Across all E3 conferences (including Nintendo's)

How many times will a live gameplay demo freeze?

a) 0
b) 1
c) 2
d) 3
e) >3

Dr Dogg

I have zero hype about e3 for some reason, I don't really have anything to look forward to, but I guess I might be surprised since my expectations are low.

There might be a biggie or two seeing it's the first time since 2001 that 2 competing consoles are out in the same year and even more so seeing that they're only vying with each other. How that translates to Win/Mac/Linux though is why I'm not too fussed as always but can't wait to see Ubisoft's latest fabricated demo offering that gets confused for the actual game in production and not just a glossed up demo for the public press.

Parsnip

I don't have either of the new consoles yet, but somehow I just can't help but get excited for the first E3 after the console launch. I just want some surprises.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It's sorta like buying only dehydrated food because you're afraid of Y2K

I'm now imagining someone having an underground bunker filled with floppy discs, zip discs, a handful of tandy discs and some burned CDs filled with DRM free games.

"You never know when you're gonna want to play Fallout during the fallout."

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
GOG games are DRM free so you'll probably have the installer on hand and it wont be an issue. Plus it's better to spread out risk if you feel the need.
But what if you don't? For that matter, some Steam games are DRM-free too, so all you need to do is have them downloaded beforehand.

Spreading out the risk sounds nice in paper, but how would you put it in practice? 50/50? 75/25? Where do you draw the line? And between how many DD stores should you split your library? I guess it's a choice between "security" (because there are no guarantees that at least one service will keep working after X number of years) and convenience, and I'd rather go with the latter.

Pachimari

I finally figured out how the combat works. It's actually not that bad, and I can see myself play through the game now. I hope it's worth it for the story? I'm primarily into it for the story.

Tizoc

Guys what is a good voice chat program?
Does Steam allow voice chat among friends? I want to voice chat with my friend as we watch E3 later today.

nexen

I finally figured out how the combat works. It's actually not that bad, and I can see myself play through the game now. I hope it's worth it for the story? I'm primarily into it for the story.

Story is great. Once you get the hang of the combat (which does suck) you're home free.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Expect a bit of tedium in Act II. The swamps force you to do a lot of running around and extra questing which takes away from the story. Once you reach a certain point in that act though the game takes off like a rocket for plot imo.

I dearly love the way the story of TW1 went and it pains me that it does really take a bit of a struggle to get there.

nexen

Expect a bit of tedium in Act II. The swamps force you to do a lot of running around and extra questing which takes away from the story. Once you reach a certain point in that act though the game takes off like a rocket for plot imo.

I dearly love the way the story of TW1 went and it pains me that it does really take a bit of a struggle to get there.

I enjoyed the swamps. All the mysticism and drowners gave it a Lovecraft vibe for me. Not knowing what crazy shit you were going to run up on also made it really tense.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm now imagining someone having an underground bunker filled with floppy discs, zip discs, a handful of tandy discs and some burned CDs filled with DRM free games.

"You never know when you're gonna want to play Fallout during the fallout."

A single bunker? No, they'd also have redundancies set up in hidey-holes all over the countryside, too.

One day you're out exploring some nearby caves when suddenly your foot is stuck in a bear trap. You look around, fumbling for some reason for this twisted joke, only to notice a shelf carved into the rock with a wooden sign reading "DOS Games A through F."

HoosTrax

Decided to fire up Brink over the weekend to try to refresh my memory as far as why it flopped.

For some reason, Afterburner is reporting 120 fps but my own eyes are telling me it looks like it's running at ~30fps. So it's probably displaying each frame four times, kind of like how Costume Quest lies about being 60fps when I can plainly seeing it's running at 30fps and repeating each frame.

I guess the closest thing to Brink these days is Loadout, although last I played, it didn't have much in the way of cosmetic customization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom