• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

DAT sweet 240p on the 3DS tho, amirite?

62fx62f

Dr Dogg

Well it's on it's last legs, I'll make sure a mod locks it when MS pulls the plug.

Well saying that there's so many funky GFWL implementations for various games and how they will function, if at all, when it gets taken out back and shot. Plus some tips and tricks to keep some games functioning and when switching for an old computer to a new one might be worth keeping some sort of running topic for it all.

Who is even they

Didn't Nordic Games hoover up all that was left of THQs IPs?

Wow. It looks like they might be patching GameSpy out of Titan Quest.
Nice! It's great to see so many games getting some attention rather than letting them die off with a service. *coughCapcomcough* >_>

Also yeah, who is they?

Edit: Man, I need to either step away from GAF for the day or just stop leaving SteamGAF and the various OTs I lurk. People not elaborating on their opinions is driving me nuts today. Dunno if I can keep my cool. :/

didamangi

Finished Killer Is Dead, my thoughts:

Plot was nonsensical, stupid gigolo missions, simple combat system that didn't have much depth but still fun to play and that's the main thing really for me, it's just a fun crazy over the top ride and I like it.

The (mostly) fun boss fights and the gorgeous graphics style are the highlights for me, I have my thumb on the guide button in like every cutscenes screenshoting the game like crazy.

In terms of port quality it ran very well at 1080p/60 fps but there are some bugs if you play it at 60 fps or above (the game is locked at 30 fps on default, easily fix though), things like inconsistent damage on enemies, sometimes they go down fast and sometimes it feels like they have more health than they did before. The revive mechanics sometimes bugs out even after the ini fix. I have to lower the framerate to 30fps for the Kimono girl gigolo mission or the game will crash.

I played it on hard and finish the main missions in around 10 hours. The Nightmare difficulty mode (exclusively for PC), the Scarlett challenge missions and a bunch of side missions adds some length to the game as well.

For the asking price (which is pretty low via trading btw) I think it's definitely worth the pickup.

Also, the game reminds me of The Machine Girl for some reason.

Sendou

In terms of port quality it ran very well at 1080p/60 fps but there are some bugs if you play it at 60 fps or above (the game is locked at 30 fps on default, easily fix though), things like inconsistent damage on enemies, sometimes they go down fast and sometimes it feels like they have more health than they did before. The revive mechanics sometimes bugs out even after the ini fix. I have to lower the framerate to 30fps for the Kimono girl gigolo mission or the game will crash.

Just had the game crash on me at the ending cutscene of Episode 6 :/ Not sure if I should just revert my resolution tweak back to "officially supported" 1920x1080 or FPS tweak to 30. Not a fan on either but especially not the latter. Frustrating.

Authority

Banned
Reminder for PayDay2,

IktWFto.png

Save 67%

If you have issues loading image(s) with Firefox on sites like imgurl.com, right click -> View page info - > Permissions - > Load Images -> Allow instead of Default.

MRORANGE

Well saying that there's so many funky GFWL implementations for various games and how they will function, if at all, when it gets taken out back and shot. Plus some tips and tricks to keep some games functioning and when switching for an old computer to a new one might be worth keeping some sort of running topic for it all.

Fair enough I suppose, looks like the GFWL will avoid my thread discrimination towards it.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
If some has a coupon for System Shock 2 PM me and we can work something out.

Dr Dogg

Nordic Games isn't a developer. They don't have a development team.

No of course but haven't they stated that they were going to sort out Red Faction Guerrilla so it doesn't use GFWL? Didn't they also rework the login servers that THQ used for Darksiders II so people could trade weapons again? Granted the question still remains who but something appears to be getting done about some issues.

Fair enough I suppose, looks like the GFWL will avoid my thread discrimination towards it.

Hahaha oh don't let me be the judge of whether a thread should be worthy or not but just PlayFire discussion alone in this thread gets some peoples heckles up. Game Save Manager saves your Live profile so weird games like Bulletstorm that requires an Online Profile to even load single player offline comes in handy. Also moving from an old machine to a new one can cause problems with save games if using a different profile. I'll have a play around some time in the week and drop a post or two in there.

didamangi

Just had the game crash on me at the ending cutscene of Episode 6 :/ Not sure if I should just revert my resolution tweak back to "officially supported" 1920x1080 or FPS tweak to 30. Not a fan on either but especially not the latter. Frustrating.

If you use MSI Afterburner you can add the game to it's OSD server and limit the game fps to 30 just for that section.

And no need to restart the game either, you can just alt+tab and remove the limit and the game will run at 60 or whatever you set it to again.

Also. this ini tweak got rid of the stuttering that I experienced in the beginning of cutscenes as well. Makes the game a whole lot smoother for me.

Salsa

I have to lower the framerate to 30fps for the Kimono girl gigolo mission or the game will crash.

ah, that's a bummer

it crashed on me once and didnt try again

do you get a weapon for it tho? cause otherwise im just fine not doing it

Aerocrane

Speaking of Nordic Games, they seem to have issued a new print of the PS3 MX VS ATV games, and they announced a new game in the series back in December with the development team featuring veterans of the series. I don't know if anyone else here is a fan of those games, but I'd love to play a new MX VS ATV on PC.

didamangi

ah, that's a bummer

it crashed on me once and didnt try again

do you get a weapon for it tho? cause otherwise im just fine not doing it

She'll give you the
freeze gun, not really needed though but it's kinda useful for fast enemies.

I heard that you just need to run another gigolo mission before that one and it works fine in 60fps? I haven't tried it myself, but it was working for other people IIRC.

Maybe, I haven't tried that but the game only crashes on that kimono girl for me and the 30 fps thing works. I'll give it a shot next time, thx!

MRORANGE

Oh btw:

Steam Game Recommendations for July

cK5LaD7.png
Steam Game Recommendations for July (New releases on Steam)

• Every month gaffers talk about what games should be on your radar for the upcoming month by submitting mini recommendations.
  • Check the OP to see games were highlighted by our members for this month to get an idea.

Rules:
  • 1. Choose a game that you think is worth watching out for in July that is on Steam.
  • 2. Write about it, 60+ words would be great, feel free to go over it.
  • 3. Send me a PM with what you have written before the deadline: 29th June

Seems to be working really well so far, a big thanks for everyone who's taken part in these reviews and hopefully we can have some more mini recommendations for July.

Salsa

I have a RE6 question

the game will sometimes lock up for like a second or two. Very very rarely but it does happen, image will freeze but sounds will continue, fixes itself in a second or two

any chance it relates to the online? I can't tell if people connected to my game right after that but it did not happen at all when I was playing offline

reason im asking is cause it happens to me too with Watch_Dogs, and I assume in THAT case at least it's because something's overheating (both gpu and cpu overclocked) cause that optimization is kinda poor and just rips both gpu/cpu apart in terms of usage, but not at all the case in RE6

other than that, im still running most games on my lame-ass 5600rpm hdd and im thinking it might be poppin

Sendou

If you use MSI Afterburner you can add the game to it's OSD server and limit the game fps to 30 just for that section.

And no need to restart the game either, you can just alt+tab and remove the limit and the game will run at 60 or whatever you set it to again.

Also. this ini tweak got rid of the stuttering that I experienced in the beginning of cutscenes as well. Makes the game a whole lot smoother for me.

Yeah I guess I could do something like that if I knew what cutscenes caused problems before I triggered them. I just don't understand what's so impossible about making a competent PC port. Especially with Japanese developers.

AHA-Lambda

Oh btw:

Steam Game Recommendations for July

Seems to be working really well so far, a big thanks for everyone who's taken part in these reviews and hopefully we can have some more mini recommendations for July.

Hmm, I can't even think of anything coming out in July :/

MRORANGE

other than that, im still running most games on my lame-ass 5600rpm hdd and im thinking it might be poppin

I would be wary if you hear any clicking noises or the HDD is more than 3 years, which means it's out of warrantly, use and HDD software checker to see if your HDD is okay.

Hmm, I can't even think of anything coming out in July :/

Yeah July's quite hard due to the summer drought.

Salsa

I would be wary if you hear any clicking noises or the HDD is more than 3 years, which means it's out of warrantly, use and HDD software checker to see if your HDD is okay.

it doesnt do the dying click but it does make a heck of a lot of noise sometimes at random

steam open very slowly when it checks for everything, etc. it's basically just slow

all hdd health software i've tried says its fine.. but yeah, I oughta get another drive in there and use this one for non-game stuff. My SSD is sadly only 120gb. Shit here's expensive

you take that back
I prefer pre-designed dungeons, especially ones with actual variation in content and architecture. That's one reason I wish Dark Cloud was more of an adventure game, since solving puzzles in the surrounding environment and interacting with remnant residents to regain Georama would be fun.

How is Another World?

BTW, JUN15OFF code for 15% off.
Where do I go to enter this code on GameFly?

Dr Dogg

If there was a global nuclear incident tomorrow I recon the only piece of electrical hardware still alive would be Salsa's PC. At the temps you run and dust you had in your fans and it still kicks a beat I wouldn't be surprised.

Where do I go to enter this code on GameFly?

Should ask you during checkout (I think it's on the left hand side)

please anyone help me! I want to play Dark Souls Prepare to Die edition using a generic USB Vibration joypad. normaly it works with games that allow button mapping, those who only use xbox 360 controller like Alan Wake or Batman games, well I use x360ce 2.0.2.90 Beta 2 the only version that can recognise my controller and does not display the editor in grey ( I have Window 7 x64 bits PC). Normally liek Isaid it works wether normally or with that version of x360ce but I copied the files to Drak Souls file and started the game, the game became so laggu and the controller didn't work with this x360ce (before the controller worked without anything but the keys are messed up and I can't map them). I tried Motionjoy but it seems it only works with Playsation controller (offical ones). If I use joytokey, it will map the clusmy PC keys to the controller and I will be in a greater pain since keyboard and mosue controls are the worst adn I don't want to transfer them to the controller. Also i do'nt want to use Mousefix because I read it modifies memory entries of the game and thus risks to ban me in GFWL.

Salsa

If there was a global nuclear incident tomorrow I recon the only piece of electrical hardware still alive would be Salsa's PC. At the temps you run and dust you had in your fans and it still kicks a beat I wouldn't be surprised.

anything under 90°C is fine

it is known

I do have a tendency to trust hardware a bit more tho. Nothing ever burned out on me and BSODs are there for a reason. A lot of people get scared but there's safety measures built in

that said tho, BF4 does give me BSODs every now and then and stuff like the watch_dogs issue are starting to happen with the bigger newer games, so yeah, if I ever get into one (not like that's gonna happen with watch_dogs) I'd probably have to turn down on the OC a bit.

I only have +132mhz on the main clock of the 680. Nothing crazy, reaches 1202mhz which is basically the same as the factory OC version

I don't run custom fans tho, hate that fan noise, gets me nervous something's gonna pop, hence why shit gets hot

also i've been keeping my case open, dont give a fudge

There's a difference between "hey, this webstore is doing a deal for X game for Y money" and "WHY HAVEN'T I GOTTAN MY FREE MONEYS FOR PLAIYNG MY GAEZM OMG THIS IS SUCH BULLSHIT BECKY" x 50

"Bullshit Becky"??? Holy hell, that's hilarious

Then god forbid we discuss anything Playfire in here, which is Steam related, but it's okay for people to derail the thread which clearly has nothing to do with Steam. Like I did yesterday :p

I'd argue Playfire has VERY look to do with Steam. Playfire sync's with Steam Achievements.....and that's it. At least GMG talk generally includes deals that redeem on Steam.

Most All playfire talks is either a) 'my shit isn't working' or b) 'look at how many credits i'v got.

Seems you've been slacking on your duty to build that Steam library, man.

So less, but not totally obscure. :p

Must be my problem as well. Need to buy all the bundles now.

I still have nightmares about that picture he posted a while back.

*shudder*

Lomax

anything under 90°C is fine

it is known

I do have a tendency to trust hardware a bit more tho. Nothing ever burned out on me and BSODs are there for a reason. A lot of people get scared but there's safety measures built in

that said tho, BF4 does give me BSODs every now and then and stuff like the watch_dogs issue are starting to happen with the bigger newer games, so yeah, if I ever get into one (not like that's gonna happen with watch_dogs) I'd probably have to turn down on the OC a bit.

I only have +132mhz on the main clock of the 680. Nothing crazy, reaches 1202mhz which is basically the same as the factory OC version

I don't run custom fans tho, hate that fan noise, gets me nervous something's gonna pop, hence why shit gets hot

also i've been keeping my case open, dont give a fudge

After melting two laptop video cards that as far as I could tell never went over 85°C, I'm paranoid to let my card get over 80 for any length of time. Granted, they were laptop cards, but still. Of course it probably just means one of these days my video card fan will crap out instead.

Salsa

I think it collects dust quickly cause my mobo doesnt have a lot of options, so for example the CM hyper 212+ is always banging and the CPU clock doesnt scale, instead it's always at 4.5ghz. shit like that

im bored, so you guys probably motivated me to clean a bit now

Salsa

After melting two laptop video cards that as far as I could tell never went over 85°C, I'm paranoid to let my card get over 80 for any length of time. Granted, they were laptop cards, but still. Of course it probably just means one of these days my video card fan will crap out instead.

emphasis on laptop cards, yeah

burning a modern card at 80-85°C would be a hell of a manufactory fuckup. cards reach that temperature without touching them (OCing I mean)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom