• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*slowly walks away from all this dust talk

bZC1MiR.png

Perfect game number 10.

I had a fair bit of fun playing this, more-so on NG+. Some of the powers are pretty awesome, bio-bombs being one of my favorite. The movement is very acrobatic and works most of the time unless you're in tight geometry and the game gets confused what surface you want to be on. The art style I liked quite a bit, and it's something of a nice change of pace to play as a black male protagonist for once. I can't think of any other game that offers that off the top of my head.

This being the PC release unfortunately makes it the most flawed. My first run of the game over a year ago went pretty smoothly, but this recent tear through NG+ was plagued by the memory leak bug. A quick alt-tab fixes it but I still found I couldn't play for more than an hour before it became unbearable. I also wish the game was more reactive to Heller. Stealth bio-bombs lose their charm kinda fast when you realize it's not so stealthy. Stealth consumes often go down right in an NPC's face and it doesn't phase them at all. As it is the stealth kinda gets in the way of the power fantasy, and this game does do a good job of bringing that to the table. If they make a third I'd like to see more effort put into the stealth components as it would have made the hunting way more awesome. And the writing, oh god the writing. Lots of fuck this and fuck that. If the game took itself a bit less seriously it would actually be funny but it just feels like they're trying too hard for the M rating.

All in all, I had some fun with this game. Big improvement over the 30 minutes I put into the first game, and the story recap feature was nice. More sequels should offer something similar.

mrgone

Didn't know where to place this and I didn't want to make a whole thread devoted to it, but Sword of the Stars: The Pit is on sale through Gamersgate this weekend. According to the descriptions, it can be activated on Steam.

http://www.gamersgate.com/games?prio=relevance&q=pittspecial

• Sword of the Stars: The Pit Gold Edition ~~~~~~~~~~ $2.60
  • Sword of the Stars: The Pit Gold DLC ~~~~~~~~~~~~ $0.60
  • Sword of the Stars: The Pit - The Pilgrim DLC ~~~~~ $0.40
  • Sword of the Stars: The Pit: Mindgames ~~~~~~~~~~ $1.00
  • Sword of the Stars: The Pit ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ $2.00
  • Sword of the Stars: The Pit Soundtrack ~~~~~~~~~~ $1.00
Cheapy cheap! No fingers, no fingerprints.

Rad game, highly recommended for fans of roguelikes that are accurately described as roguelikes :)

Also I've been trying to clean up my hard drive a little and discovered that The Pit is taking up 3 gigs on my drive. That blew my mind enough that I won't have to dust in there for, like, a month. Definitely doesn't seem like a game that would be taking up that much space (as great as it is, it's pretty simple asset-wise).

cHinzo

First time doing a giveaway. Hope it works. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dead Island Epidemic #1 -- MB-260FA6A77F0D5201 - Taken by Mr Pockets. 1 entrants total.
Dead Island Epidemic #2 -- MB-60EDC57F98D7843B - Taken by Alduin. 4 entrants total.
Dead Island Epidemic #3 -- MB-1421B756566D426F - Taken by Casimir. 1 entrants total.
Dead Island Epidemic #4 -- MB-5CDB676C7092E901 - Taken by crazy monkey. 3 entrants total.
Dead Island Epidemic #5 -- MB-7053FED6290A33AD - Taken by Diedac. 1 entrants total.

t1401668532z1.png

Still free to take!

Tellaerin

Dust you say?

Thank you for reminding me of this. (Man, I'd love a sequel to that game...)

Rad game, highly recommended for fans of roguelikes that are accurately described as roguelikes :)

Also I've been trying to clean up my hard drive a little and discovered that The Pit is taking up 3 gigs on my drive. That blew my mind enough that I won't have to dust in there for, like, a month. Definitely doesn't seem like a game that would be taking up that much space (as great as it is, it's pretty simple asset-wise).

SotS: The Pit is awesome. And you're right, it is 3 gig. O_O What did they do, ship it with .bmp graphics and uncompressed .wav sound? I can't think of... well, anything about the game that could've make it that big.

Pupo

Ueue

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Awesomenauts -- MB-04FA20904CCB784A - Taken by SeZMehK. 3 entrants total.

t1401669739z1.png

Authority

Banned
What is the most effective way to remove dust? I would have to clean in a week or so. Some type of handheld hoover I assume and a particular spray but can someone tell me what type of spray is that?

Tellaerin

Appearance - FT Deep Dark 10.3.6
Extension - The Fox, Only Better 1.0.10

It is awesome and very pleasing to my eyes. I can't stand bring colors which reminds me I need to get a white lump ironically! Yellow ones are hypnotizing.

That entire last sentence has me utterly mystified. What are "bring colors", what's this "white lump" and what's ironic about you needing one? ^^; (Did autocomplete mess with what you were trying to post?)

didamangi

Man, i want that Transistor Cloudbank background but not for $0.5.

That entire last sentence has me utterly mystified. What are "bring colors", what's this "white lump" and what's ironic about you needing one? ^^; (Did autocomplete mess with what you were trying to post?)

Bright colors and white lamp probably.

Authority

Banned

Oh God it is hard to concentrate right now. Was trying to solve AMD Catalyst 14.4 for 3-4 hours in a row as well trying to make my PC's display as relaxing as possible to my eyes so yeah ^^

Edit: Found out I hadn't enabled the clear-text feature for a month. Facepalm.

Tellaerin

Bright colors and white lamp probably.

Ah, okay, I guess that makes sense. Thanks. : ) (Though I never really found yellow lamps especially hypnotic, myself... ^^; )

Oh God it is hard to concentrate right now. Was trying to solve AMD Catalyst 14.4 for 3-4 hours in a row as well trying to make my PC's display as relaxing as possible so yeah ^^

Ouch, man. Sounds like you could use a break soon. Have something to eat/drink and let yourself zone out for a little while or something.

mrgone

Appearance - FT Deep Dark 10.3.6
Extension - The Fox, Only Better 1.0.10

It is awesome and very pleasing to my eyes. I can't stand bright colors which reminds me I need to get a white lamp ironically! Yellow ones are hypnotizing.

Nice! I love the darker themes too, and FT DeepDark looks pretty sweet. Reminds me of discovering Royale Noir for XP, or switching to the dark theme on GAF. It's just right.

Blizzard

Banned
I went back to play some Portal 2 co-op with a friend and I'm getting a LOT of crashes. :( It made me sad since I figured Portal 2 would be pretty polished by now.

GTX 770, 3570k, 8GB of memory, Windows 7 64-bit home premium. Nothing should be unusual, just normal max settings ingame.

I thought it was alt-tab crashing things, but nope, it happened in the middle of a test chamber. Does multicore rendering cause crazy crashes in Portal 2?

I haven't yet tried verifying game integrity (which will presumably take forever). One unusual thing is that I do have the motion pack for Hydra installed, but I don't have a Hydra connected.

Sarcasm

Finding stuff I have in bundles..sticking to steam games..will give the non-steams later.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

SANG-FROID -- MB-77B14EA78B814BA5 - Taken by HalfwayOrb. 2 entrants total.
EPIGENESIS -- MB-F03FF5181C1FD16E - Taken by The Dear Leader. 2 entrants total.

t1401682721z1.png

Lain

I hope there's no big PC games sale this month, as I spent all my entertainment money on manga already. I just have something left for cheap bundles.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Repost!

I believe all of the keys are good. Unfortunately, Steam does not offer a way to check, so I apologize if they are not new.

Hard Reset, Splice, Bastion, and Two Worlds II are my personal favorites.

Good Luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for everyone!

I am giving away 23 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Action:

Bastion -- MB-D95C192932025267 - Taken by Trejik. 2 entrants total.
Brutal Legend -- MB-479D8127CE15DC29 - Taken by Uzzy. 4 entrants total.
X-Blades -- MB-4C4C3977DA0EDECD - Taken by factorone. 7 entrants total.

FPS:

Hard Reset -- MB-D4ECF691CF3ACA63 - Taken by tuseday. 5 entrants total.
Legendary -- MB-D9B5F1D1090252EA - Taken by Volimar. 4 entrants total.
Sniper: Ghost Warrior Gold Edition -- MB-0B8F3489BFCE9545 - Taken by DasFool. 5 entrants total.
Shattered Horizon -- MB-6C74F3BBCF488227 - Taken by ProjectOmega2x. 8 entrants total.

RPG:

Two Worlds Epic Edition -- MB-518BDC8E8C716AB0 - Taken by Ryne. 11 entrants total.
Two World II -- MB-29712AC6503A7816 - Taken by Deadbeat. 7 entrants total.
Two Worlds II: Pirates of The Flying Fortress -- MB-137F4204FE6FCEC0 - Taken by Myshkin. 8 entrants total.
Knight Shift -- MB-4653EA99D24EB9D1 - Taken by pahamrick. 3 entrants total.

Shooter:

Really Big Sky -- MB-ADD419755B1CE1CC - Taken by Kaper. 3 entrants total.
Ion Assault -- MB-74BA7A19A20A57B1 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 4 entrants total.

Strategy:

Planets under attack -- MB-7B6962622F9CF950 - Taken by ohblahitsme. 2 entrants total.
Earth 2160 -- MB-D5FFB2793072015C - Taken by NingenJanai. 3 entrants total.

Puzzle:

Cogs -- MB-77085939CAF9DCAD - Taken by NotSelf. 1 entrants total.
Splice -- MB-AD1AD5D3D1E446F1 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 3 entrants total.

Mixed Category:

Auditorium -- MB-21D144616480011E - Taken by bobnowhere. 4 entrants total.
Ignite -- MB-71079D9B42EA21FB - Taken by Boom Boom Pow. 3 entrants total.
The Void -- MB-E8F2959F33D6D366 - Taken by fspm. 3 entrants total.
Mount & Blade -- MB-DE480685E30D771B - Taken by Daedalos42. 9 entrants total.
Velvet Assassin -- MB-E5CEDE7239229725 - Taken by didamangi. 4 entrants total.

t1401677666z1.png

Well, I was the whole sunday offline and now the June thread is already over 20 pages. Seems next year we'll need bi-weekly threads...

Authority

Banned
Ah, okay, I guess that makes sense. Thanks. : ) (Though I never really found yellow lamps especially hypnotic, myself... ^^; )

Ouch, man. Sounds like you could use a break soon. Have something to eat/drink and let yourself zone out for a little while or something.

Yeah will do.

By the way an interesting article I have read,

Edit: The image below is wrong because
diminish2.png

1400351179146qnxnw.png

Yerli pointed to Crysis 3 to back up his claim. He said the graphics are capable enough to show grass swaying in the wind, which allows players to detect when enemies are running towards them.

“Graphics, whether it’s lighting or shadows, puts you in a different emotional context and drives the immersion,” Yerli said. “And immersion is effectively the number one thing we can use to help you buy into the world.”

“The better the graphics, the better the physics, the better the sound design, the better the technical assets and production values are–paired with the art direction, making things look spectacular and stylistic is 60 per cent of the game,” he said - The Great Debate: How Important are Graphics In Video Games?

tumblr_mifhn3yLrH1qd867fo1_250.gif

Never played any Crysis and yes I feel ashamed of saying it but I think I will.

rtcn63

Yeah, that pic has been debunked on GAF numerous times. Something about improved textures and coconut rum. I... don't speak the language.

rtcn63

Crysis 2 is inoffensive, other than going on for waaaaay too long. Crysis 3 is strangely super short. Made it to the final boss, and I thought I was still in the intro. Guess they pandered to the multiplayer aspect.

Authority

Banned
Crysis 2 is inoffensive, other than going on for waaaaay too long. Crysis 3 is strangely super short. Made it to the final boss, and I thought I was still in the intro. Guess they pandered to the multiplayer aspect.

Ouch...

I hope Murdered is not too short. I had the same fear with Killer is Dead but thankfully I haven't finished it yet.

Pachimari

Thanks for Crysis 2: Maximum Edition whoever gave it away. Now I got 2 games on Origin. :)

Should have never bought Battlefield 3 a few weeks before it went free, but great singleplayer so far.

I have the following to give away:

- Toki Tori -10% coupon.
- Toki Tori -10% coupon.
- Pixel Piracy -25% coupon.
- Mutant Mudds Deluxe -50% coupon.

I didn't really think Crysis 3 was that short compared to other FPS games, in-game timer said 6 and a half hours but it doesn't take into account deaths/restarts so it took about 9. Feels more like an expansion though, especially compared to the incredibly lengthy Crysis 2.

Going to need more Uplay friends people, feels like a ghost town. Feel free to add me.

Steam/Uplay/Origin/PSN/GFWL ID: MadrugadorDG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom