• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Crysis 3 managed to make Crysis 2's look even better in retrospect. It was that level of disappointing. I can't remember the last time I was left so disgusted with a series I had once enjoyed so much.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The only thing I truly took away from Crysis 3 was the bow and arrow, but that's more from lack of more games using it rather than actually being all that amazing.

Turfster

Should have never bought Battlefield 3 a few weeks before it went free, but great singleplayer so far.

Seriously?
You like pushing buttons when told and being totally superfluous?
You can survive those first encounters by just doing... nothing and letting the AI kill everything.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The only thing I truly took away from Crysis 3 was the bow and arrow, but that's more from lack of more games using it rather than actually being all that amazing.

I liked the bow in Tomb Raider, but was disappointed with it in Last of Us, Crysis 3, and Far Cry 3. I preferred normal weapons in all those games. I preferred the bow over every gun in TR. Lara stay winning yo.

The silenced sniper in FC3 was supreme.

-MD-

I liked the bow in Tomb Raider, but was disappointed with it in Last of Us, Crysis 3, and Far Cry 3. I preferred normal weapons in all those games. I preferred the bow over every gun in TR. Lara stay winning yo.

The silenced sniper in FC3 was supreme.

I loved the bow in TLOU. As far as bows go I'd rank em like this

TLOU > TR > FC3

Grief.exe

Should have never bought Battlefield 3 a few weeks before it went free, but great singleplayer so far.

i3jKDUlcwgHWU.png

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So I played Harvester today. FMV games are so good.

If you don't know what it is, it's a point and click horror-esque adventure game from the mid 90s that features heavy amounts of violence, gore, and weirdness. I recommend playing it at some point, even if the plot kind of falls apart towards the end of the game and the combat system is garbage. It's got tons of laughs, though.

SJRB's thread for the cult classic game

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I've been playing DmC due to the Playfire rewards and I must say I'm really enjoying it thus far. The fact that it runs at a buttery smooth 60fps (rather than "the feel of 60fps") does help quite a bit.

Yeah, the resulting modded stick would be compatible with PS3, 360, and PC. You can read up on details at shoryuken.com's Tech Talk subforum. I installed a ChImp myself years ago, but there are solderless alternatives nowadays if you would prefer that. Unless the prices have changed dramatically it should come under $40 for parts.
Thanks for the info, will look into that.

Oh man already 12pages in and I only just remembered it's new thread time.
This thread moves way too fast, it's the first day of the month and it's already on page 6.

edit: frack, page 7 with this.
Guys, take it easy! You wasted 9 pages over the last 14 hours, no human being can read that fast.
It probably happens because we have like 20 conversations at the same time in parallel or something.
In any case I don't think this train is stopping until we get to the biweekly threads.

"New" thread and new giveaway. This time only one game.

Cryostatis_Sleep_of_Reason.jpg

Cryostasis, no longer available on Steam. This code should work, but I can't guarantee it since it's been quite some time since I got it.
Also trying out this megagivers thingie.
Excellent giveaway. I have wanted to play this for a long time but not having an nVidia card put me off of getting it. Can't participate due to not being a megagiver (yet) though... I really have to (eventually) organize all the keys I have to give away :/

I did it before it was kewl

now I just look at em and feel dumb
Eh, we all did it when it was a Sale achievement :p

So it seems that Ubisoft has flagged the 'Uplay' tag.

I checked a few games and not only has the Uplay tag been removed, but you cannot add it at all.
It was just a matter of time sadly, like several other useful tags :(

dat 'What's the next step for next-gen consoles - 1080p/60, 1440p, 4K?' thread

oh god
This is sad, I know that I won't be satisfied until we have 8K/120+

Makes sense, but he should peep in here once in awhile since folks still ask for Playfire help here as well.
Then god forbid we discuss anything Playfire in here, which is Steam related, but it's okay for people to derail the thread which clearly has nothing to do with Steam. Like I did yesterday :p
The main problem is that this thread grows *really* fast and radMonkey is probably really swamped with support tickets and whatnot, so it's likely he doesn't have time to read through all of these huge monthly threads. I'd say that it's best to post all that kind of help issues and relevant questions in that thread where he does pop up frequently instead of here, where it would get lost and the one that should see it most likely won't.

you guys should see how fucked I am electricity wise here

I dont know whatsup with my grounding but half the time my PC shocks me, and weird stuff happens like if I connect my cellphone in a completely different outlet to charge on the other side of the room my monitor turns off for a second

bottomline is im gonna die
You should give UTE a call, if you are lucky you'd get everything checked before the next turn of the century.

you dust police must have magic self-cleaning rigs

I bet half of you don't even dare to look in there
I clean my laptop at least once every 2 months.

Khronico

Eh, Battlefield 3 had a decent campaign in comparison to it's competition in the genre at the time. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Also was total eye and ear candy.

Can somebody please help me get XCOM: Enemy Unknown to work? I cannot save video options or load/save games and my documents folder is in its default C: path.

It's infuriating, I just wanted to give it a try with Gedosato.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Eh, Battlefield 3 had a decent campaign in comparison to it's competition in the genre at the time. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Also was total eye and ear candy.

No it isn't. Modern Warfare 3's scripting and scenario design shits all over it in terms of Michael Bay creativity. BF3 is bland as fuck. It gets by on spiffy visuals that poorly hide the soul-less design work and complete inability to put together an exciting situation.

Oh here is an earthquake coming! Quick make the player black out like a total bitch so we don't actually have to program a cool setpiece.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Repost!

I believe all of the keys are good. Unfortunately, Steam does not offer a way to check, so I apologize if they are not new.

Hard Reset, Splice, Bastion, and Two Worlds II are my personal favorites.

Good Luck!

Thanks for Mount and Blade! :) I've been wanting to play it for some time now. Hopefully there's a sale on Warband soon.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
No it isn't. Modern Warfare 3's scripting and scenario design shits all over it in terms of Michael Bay creativity. BF3 is bland as fuck. It gets by on spiffy visuals that poorly hide the soul-less design work and complete inability to put together an exciting situation.

Oh here is an earthquake coming! Quick make the player black out like a total bitch so we don't actually have to program a cool setpiece.

I don't think BF3 use of lens flare counts as spiffy visuals.

Authority

Banned
Someone said that his friend loved Murdered because he loved Heavy Rain. Soooooooooo hyped.

I let my son die in Heavy Rain...most traumatic experience since now

zkylon

zkylewd
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm incredibly hyped about Eternity as well, but to tell the truth Eternity is a far less ambitious game overall. It "only" seeks to recreate Baldur's Gate.

On the other hand, Divinity: OS tries to create a seamless open world game which combines the incredible interactivity and situational options of Ultima 7 with the depth of the greatest turn-based combat games like Temple of Elemental Evil. It's almost preposterous how much they are trying to do, and surprising how well it has worked out.

Really, that this game is flying under the radar as low as it is is one of the greatest crimes against gaming.
well i guess it boils down to like ultima and toee not being names as important to me as mca and tim cain and jesawyer.

damn fine wrpg isn't bad or anything, i was just expecting there'd be some crazy revelation thing i had missed.

also on the other hand i feel like recreating bg may be underselling project eternity. pe is basically refining everything about bg with mad crazy talented minds behind it, much like torment. like every time you read like a design update you get crazy smart design shit about classes and inventory management and just overall design sensitivities and such. like listening to jesawyer talk about anything is so fucking good man. we still have to see how good it'll end up being but everything about it makes me so darned excited

i guess that might be the case with people that got to see divinity's growth too, but so far aside from being a damn fine wrpg it's not doing anything for me. wish they had a better trailer on steam, that showed a bit about the world and characters

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Crysis 2 is inoffensive, other than going on for waaaaay too long. Crysis 3 is strangely super short. Made it to the final boss, and I thought I was still in the intro. Guess they pandered to the multiplayer aspect.

HowLongToBeat:
Crysis - 10.5 Hours
Crysis 2 - 9 Hours
Crysis 3 - 6.5 Hours (comparable to Crysis Warhead's 5 hours)

Incidentally, I'll never play Crysis 3, since it's exclusive to (broken record noise here).

I feel like Crysis 2 is a lot longer than 9 hours. The in-game timers take into account your best time through the levels, not actual game time so I don't think those are accurate. Or maybe it just felt longer because it came out in the era of CoDs and Homefronts that barely reach 4.

rtcn63

I could've sworn Crysis 2 was like 15 hours or something. I just wanted it to end. And it didn't. It didn't. It had free will and it chose not to end. (In a timely fashion)

I don't want to start a thread about this in case it is just me, but is anyone else experiencing issues connecting to GAF? Often the site just hangs and I can't access anything, sometimes if I get lucky and wait and get to the forum, I'll click on a thread and maybe 3 or 4 posts will show up. Then for maybe a couple minutes, the site works fine, like now.

Been happening for about a week now, getting a bit frustrating.

I thought Crysis 3 was pretty fun, nicely paced in regards to opening the levels up as you progress and it doesn't outstay its welcome. Would have been better as a belated expansion pack to Crysis 2 I suppose, but the multiplayer was really fun and made it worth the 40 dollars I paid. Plus it's still unbelievably gorgeous.

Of course I can understand people being disappointed given the first Crysis continues to be the best in the series in regards to combat options, scale, etc. Such an amazing game, where Crysis 2 and 3(to me) are merely good. Think they have enough of Crysis's original identity to remain enjoyable.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to start a thread about this in case it is just me, but is anyone else experiencing issues connecting to GAF? Often the site just hangs and I can't access anything, sometimes if I get lucky and wait and get to the forum, I'll click on a thread and maybe 3 or 4 posts will show up. Then for maybe a couple minutes, the site works fine, like now.

That happens to me all the time, not just in the last week, but I just assumed it was my connection.

I thought Crysis 3 was pretty fun, nicely paced in regards to opening the levels up as you progress and it doesn't outstay its welcome. Would have been better as a belated expansion pack to Crysis 2 I suppose, but the multiplayer was really fun and made it worth the 40 dollars I paid. Plus it's still unbelievably gorgeous.

Of course I can understand people being disappointed given the first Crysis continues to be the best in the series in regards to combat options, scale, etc. Such an amazing game, where Crysis 2 and 3(to me) are merely good. Think they have enough of Crysis's original identity to remain enjoyable.

I thought Crysis 2 was much better than Crysis. Then again, it was developed and released a lot more recently, so that's a good bet for it to be more refined in terms of combat/abilities/etc.

That happens to me on mobile a lot. I just assumed it was because mobile

Unrelated -- when I see your name quoted in other posts, my quick look always makes me think you're salsashark.

drakaenae

ModBot said:
Instructions for drakaenae:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alien Shooter 2 Conscription -- MB-E69AF006904AED78 - Taken by Jmanunknown. 1 entrants total.
Alien Shooter -- MB-1968F0EEC2A3BCA1 - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.
Zombie Shooter -- MB-7A7ABD38E60AD806 - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.
Zombie Shooter 2 -- MB-C6B03E8E7DD1152D - Taken by legacyzero. 1 entrants total.
Alien Hallway -- MB-F307A2745752F653
ulgzbKC.png
Pathologic(Desura) -- MB-03D6FA9BDD725FCB - Taken by Dusk Golem. 2 entrants total.
Alien Shooter 2 Reloaded -- MB-6F86D1A607897E18 - Taken by SSPssp. 2 entrants total.

t1401690970z1.png

okay steam gaf

i give you shit but i need your help

imma need some recommendations for a pc game that a friend and i can online co op (we got good 'puters don't worry about specs)

in the past we enjoyed magicka, renegade ops, and dead island

we dota in our free time but this is our break from that stupidity so something fun and easy to get into

anyway my friend doesn't really like shooters and i hate mmos so we're stuck trying to find some stuff that fits both our tastes and it's hard

we want something that we can at least dive a bit into with depth (both renegade ops and magicka sort of failed us there), will last us a decent amount of time, and is not a moba or tower defense

maybe dark souls should just be straight up co op and not summoning goofy stuff

we tried bro force and it last us all of like 2 hours so that was sort of a bust (yes we know its early access)

i dunno we're not that hard to please, throw out some fun suggestions if you would steam gaf

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So it seems that Ubisoft has flagged the 'Uplay' tag.

I checked a few games and not only has the Uplay tag been removed, but you cannot add it at all.

This has been the case for quite some time now. When Valve began disallowing certain words/phrases as tags (and perhaps also allowing publishers to add their own blacklist), Uplay was among them.

Who is even they

I'd guess Crate. Grim Dawn uses the TQ engine and it's GameSpy-free.

I think JaseC posted here once saying he dusts like once per year or something like that

go bother him, it's probably filled with australian spiders too

I haven't cleaned out my PC once since upgrading two years ago. I'll probably do so when I get around to replacing my kindasorta borked 60GB SSD, though.

okay steam gaf

imma need some recommendations for a pc game that a friend and i can online co op (we got good 'puters don't worry about specs)

we dota in our free time but this is our break from that stupidity so something fun and easy to get into

anyway my friend doesn't really like shooters and i hate mmos so we're stuck trying to find some stuff that fits both our tastes and it's hard

we want something that we can at least dive a bit into with depth (both renegade ops and magicka sort of failed us there), will last us a decent amount of time, and is not a moba or tower defense

we tried bro force and it last us all of like 2 hours so that was sort of a bust (yes we know its early access)

i dunno we're not that hard to please, throw out some fun suggestions if you would steam gaf

First time I heard someone saying Dota was easy to get into.

Unrelated -- when I see your name quoted in other posts, my quick look always makes me think you're salsashark.
I kinda do that myself sometimes..

That happens to me on mobile a lot. I just assumed it was because mobile
I mainly use Chrome on my desktop and mobile on my iPad. Same issue on both, tried IE and same issue as well.

That happens to me all the time, not just in the last week, but I just assumed it was my connection.
Ok thanks, glad to know it isn't just me.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
okay steam gaf

Have you picked up Divinity: Original Sin? One to keep on the books for later since the full game leaves Early Access on the 20th

Grief.exe

This has been the case for quite some time now. When Valve began disallowing certain words/phrases as tags (and perhaps also allowing publishers to add their own blacklist), Uplay was among them.

Quite some time? I sent an email out to Steam support just over a month ago drawing their attention to Splinter Cell Conviction. The title did not allow the Uplay tag to be applied to it, while all other Ubisoft titles allowed the tag. There is also no indication of Uplay integration anywhere on the page.

Must have been fairly recently.

drakaenae

okay steam gaf

Have you tried Castle Crashers or Portal 2 (coop)?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Quite some time? I sent an email out to Steam support just over a month ago drawing their attention to Splinter Cell Conviction. The title did not allow the Uplay tag to be applied to it, while all other Ubisoft titles allowed the tag.

Must have been fairly recently.

Obviously I didn't mean, say, "several months" considering the tag system went live mid-Feb. ;) I just meant that, relative to the amount of time the tag system has been active, the Uplay tag has been an issue for a fair portion. I don't see the point in blacklisting the tag when Ubi's required to mention Uplay on the store page, though.

Edit: Mind you, Ubi can drag its feet when it comes to adding that little detail to the page and the visibility of the tag would undermine such efforts.

Have you picked up Divinity: Original Sin? One to keep on the books for later since the full game leaves Early Access on the 20th
I'll look into that more thanks!

If it's like diablo, I think I was pretty diablo'd out by 3.
Have you tried Castle Crashers or Portal 2 (coop)?
We actually did co op portal 2 together. I forgot to add that.
Monaco?
Hammerwatch?
Also forgot to add monaco to the list of things we enjoyed. I'm bad at this.

Hammerwatch is a good suggestion though!

Tellaerin

Funny, that. Uplay's on my blacklist, too. :p

I haven't cleaned out my PC once since upgrading two years ago. I'll probably do so when I get around to replacing my kindasorta borked 60GB SSD, though.

How much of that 60GB is taken up by Saoirse .gifs? >.>

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Someone said that his friend loved Murdered because he loved Heavy Rain. Soooooooooo hyped.

I let my son die in Heavy Rain...most traumatic experience since now
That was an actual spoiler... Fuck, I read the first sentence. And I'm just a day away from getting my own PS3 :/

Pachimari

Why is it so hard to believe when someone likes a game you don't like.

I also love Modern Warfare and FIFA which are annual franchises.

I weren't too fond of games like Metal Gear Rising or most other games really. The Last of Us weren't super special and I'm still a bit bored by Mario 3D World.

And I loved The Getaway, Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness and the little bit of Devil May Cry 2 I played.

Most games are boring to me but luckily I build myself a PC and discovered tons of interesting games.

And I'm only at like chapter 4 or something in Battlefield 3. Yes that also gets boring but I liked the bit I have played of it.

Opinions and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom