• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

Just a heads up that 10% off steam wallet card deal ends on 6/14 at Target. You can get $20 card for $18. Not sure if it works on the $50 card tho. most likely does as well.

K7S3U2S.png

Umm, so what next?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39110/
Only the best Square Enix game out there.

SEASON OF MYSTERY: The Cherry Blossom Murders.
Hidden Object game and it's game of the century.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I know you all are smart and beautiful, so I'll ask you a question. How do you deal with spoilers? I'll explain: I'm currently (every now and then) playing MGS3 on 3DS (for the first time), and I already know about a couple of boss fights. There are some things that should be a surprise, but sadly won't be for me. And I also know about a few key scenes of MGS4, not to mention part of the plot.

It's not like I went out of my way to spoil that stuff, but since I never thought I'd play them (after all, I beat MGS2 for the first time last year) I didn't mind at the time, and if there was a spoiler I'd read it. But now I'm really regretting that, because I want to be surprised, and from what I've heard those things are actually great to experience if one doesn't know about them beforehand. So... is there anything I can do not to feel like a fool for ruining these games' surprises?

Another steam key in a mail heads up
This time from Who's Gaming who are sending out keys for Final Slam 2
Thanks for the heads-up. This was in an Indie Royal bundle, and the keys are available there too. (The game is still "locked," but it will "unlock" when it's released.)

Sorry, Raven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X6VoFBCE9k&feature=kp

Guys, I know you all are smart and beautiful, so I'll ask you a question. How do you deal with spoilers? I'll explain: I'm currently (every now and then) playing MGS3 on 3DS (for the first time), and I already know about a couple of boss fights. There are some things that should be a surprise, but sadly won't be for me. And I also know about a few key scenes of MGS4, not to mention part of the plot.

It's not like I went out of my way to spoil that stuff, but since I never thought I'd play them (after all, I beat MGS2 for the first time last year) I didn't mind at the time, and if there was a spoiler I'd read it. But now I'm really regretting that, because I want to be surprised, and from what I've heard those things are actually great to experience if one doesn't know about them beforehand. So... is there anything I can do not to feel like a fool for ruining these games' surprises?

If I've spoiled myself on a game that I later ended up getting and wanted to play, honestly what I try to do is just not focus on the game for a while and leave it to the side until I have forgotten a lot of it.

I spoiled myself with Ico by watching MatthewMatosis' review of it, but I just ignored the game for a looooong time and then by the time I remembered I wanted to play the game, my memories of the spoilers had faded.

I guess this is the plus side to having a crap memory, it's not such a good method if you can remember stuff for a long time though, so your mileage may vary.

JakeD

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

tiny and big -- MB-81F55053F90F31AC - Taken by Spawn
beatbuddy -- MB-7CDA6195EAD1EF21 - Taken by PossumMeat
galaxy on fire 2 -- MB-73C324D61766FBC9 - Taken by Exuro

humble links

Vuze

Marlow Briggs is one of the games that I thought they'd be fun but after 4h in, the absolutely horrible platforming segments just made me rage quit. Damn.

I don't worry too much about missing out on a surprise, in general, and I wouldn't worry too much about that surprise factor in those games, in specific.

A well-told story holds up without the "gotcha" moments, which are typically cheap tricks. Take the series in as a epic, sometimes-flawed, political allegory for post-WWII life. The plot is at its best when the horror of the atomic bombs in Nagasaki and Hiroshima or the continued use of child soldiers in Sudan sort of loom just under the surface of what's going in. Those "twists" to me are when it's at its worst.

Yakkue

Well, according to this study spoilers actually make things more enjoyable.

I usually tend to avoid spoilers completely, but I was spoiled to a certain death in HP & the Halfblood Prince - I still read that part of the story twice because I couldn't believe how it actually happened. So I was a bit shocked even though I knew it was coming, and I'd say it didn't detriment my enjoyment of the book at all.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm very surprised FF Type-0 wasn't announced for PC as well.
Now have to reevaluate Square Japan's policy towards PC.

They did say there will be more Final Fantasy titles coming to PC, so maybe we will get this a bit later.

I get the feeling we'll get more mobile stuff first. Really hoping we get FFT.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Marlow Briggs is one of the games that I thought they'd be fun but after 4h in, the absolutely horrible platforming segments just made me rage quit. Damn.

Mind taking a screenshot? I don't remember any platforming bits *reallly* pissing me off, but I'm curious now if I'm forgetting a part.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So... is there anything I can do not to feel like a fool for ruining these games' surprises?

Focus on the journey to the those spoilers instead of the spoilers themselves. If you've mainly only seen some of the bosses and read some spoilers, you should be fine for MGS 3. There's usually more than one way to defeat that game's bosses and get through areas, so your play through should still be somewhat unique.

As for MGS 4, knowing some of the plot beforehand is probably beneficial, honestly. It's easily one of the messiest MG games plot wise.

Zafir

Neptunia on PC? Ergh, would have rathered a better NIS game. Neptunia was one of the worst jrpgs I played last gen.

Edit: Oh it's the remake? Maybe it'll be more tolerable. Not sure I'd get it though.

I'm very surprised FF Type-0 wasn't announced for PC as well.
Now have to reevaluate Square Japan's policy towards PC.

They did say there will be more Final Fantasy titles coming to PC, so maybe we will get this a bit later.

I don't seem them embracing PC as a full platform, comparable to the PS4 or Xbox One yet. They basically treat Steam as another app store. Expect Agito and G-Bike on Steam first.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Neptunia on PC? Ergh, would have rathered a better NIS game. Neptunia was one of the worst jrpgs I played last gen.

Edit: Oh it's the remake? Maybe it'll be more tolerable. Not sure I'd get it though.

Just think, if we really get Neptunia and it sells well enough, we might get If You Thought It Was Harem Paradise, It Was Yandere Hell on PC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just caught up on the E3 announcements and see a effin new Starfox was announced. But what happened to "Gamers"?

The thread here seems to have 2 pages, in other communities it also is kinda ignored. If other Games somehow are rumoured to be announced we have like 10 or more pages threads.
Makes me kinda sad...

Because it's not a game at this junction. It's Miyamoto saying he's working on a prototype; the prototype clearly uses Star Fox 64 levels, the asset pack released by Nintendo for the prototype is a bunch of unresized and captured-from-a-TV N64 bitmaps from Star Fox 64, and the prototype itself uses tilt aiming because the purpose of the prototype is to try to figure out how the gamepad works. No one knows if it's going to be a full release game, a downloadable title, or nothing at all. What is there to get hyped about?

aku:jiki

I recorded another Isaac video and since like 50 people from here actually clicked the link for the last one, I'll post this one too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=303JgU89Nac

One highlight is that I actually make decent use of Pinking Shears.

I avoided the Kombat Kollection after reading reviews on Steam that complained about the problem you're having. If there's really no way around it, then Humble shouldn't have been selling the game in the first place.
That's what I'm trying to get at. If someone with more experience with GFWL can tell me what's up with it and confirm if the game truly is unplayable, I'm going to have to talk to Humble. I mean, I can deal with the loss of $2.50 but them selling a faulty product is obviously pretty wrong.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Dev posted here earlier key will be sent soon if not already. Just give it a day or so.

I wonder how they will implement custom levels for Steam version. Workshop support or no change vs DRM free version?
Good question.

Ichi supports full cross platform level sharing.

Which means you'll start with more than 19.000 playable levels. If you create a level it will be shared with over 700.000 players :)

Knurek

Which means you'll start with more than 19.000 playable levels. If you create a level it will be shared with over 700.000 players :)

Do you have some sort of community packs, like Nintendo's Picross 3D game?
Basically, 'best of' user generated content? Or is it free for all, with actual good puzzles being mixed with all those 'need to have 5 levels done for that $0.05 Playfire cheevo'?

Incidentally, best of luck. Steam has changed a lot in the last year, especially with regards to indie games. Hopefully you will at least recoup porting cost at launch if not more.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How much money do you guys usually spend during a steam sale?

It varies. In 2012, I spent around $550 during the Summer Sale (marking the point where I caught the collecting bug) but only ~$100 between the Autumn and Winter Sales due to changes in Christmas plans. In 2013, I spent a little under $1,300 during the Summer Sale and around $400 across the Autumn and Winter Sales (again, less than I would have liked thanks to Christmas). This year, since the Summer Sale was moved back to June but I was expecting July again, I'm probably only going to spend only $150-$200 and will have to wait until the end of the year to splurge.

Jag

I'll put $25 or $50 in my account at the start. i'll usually end up over the $50 though. I had hoped after years of collecting and now with the bundles around, it would be less every year. But it's not. It's really not. You win Steam.

This semester has been a living hell, I had't touched a game for more than a month.

But now, I've bought a new gaming PC, which should arrive tomorrow...

So, bring the sale Gaben, I DARE YOU! Nothing can stop me now!
Well, maybe the fact that I'm broke now...

---

So, the computer's GTX 780 comes with an Uplay Watch_Dogs code... What's the deal with that? Why would anyone want to deal with that POS service? I hope I'll be able to trade it for DayZ Standalone plus something else...

Arthea

I don't even want to remember.
Last summer I transferred 100€ to my gaming account, I spend twice so much, if not more. And Winter sales are even worse, as I get into gifting mode, and then there is no end to expenses, basically, until there is what to spend *sighs*

It varies. In 2012, I spent around $550 during the Summer Sale (marking the point where I caught the collecting bug) but only ~$100 between the Autumn and Winter Sales due to changes in Christmas plans. In 2013, I spent a little under $1,300 during the Summer Sale and around $400 across the Autumn and Winter Sales (again, less than I would have liked thanks to Christmas). This year, since the Summer Sale was moved back to June but I was expecting July again, I'm probably only going to spend only $150-$200 and will have to wait until the end of the year to splurge.

That would make me feel better if it came from anybody else... but you
sorry (><)

Yakkue

I spent a little under $1,300 during the Summer Sale
Wow, that's a lot of games! I wish I had a job that would allow me to spend that much :)

The rest of the answers are more in line with what I'm willing to spend.

I don't even want to remember.
Last summer I transferred 100&#8364; to my gaming account, I spend twice so much, if not more. And Winter sales are even worse, as I get into gifting mode, and then there is no end to expenses, basically, until there is what to spend *sighs*
I'm sure you're making someone really happy with those gifts though

Grief.exe

Just a heads up that 10% off steam wallet card deal ends on 6/14 at Target. You can get $20 card for $18. Not sure if it works on the $50 card tho. most likely does as well.

I'm probably just going to head in tonight and grab a $50 card. Get ready for those summer sales.

Jawmuncher

When it comes to spoilers I've always been a bit immune to them. I'll find out someone died or who did it. Then ill just be on the hunt for exactly how it happened. As for MGS there's nothing big there that if spoiled would ruin the plot for you. Only an ending in the vein of The TLOU I could feel really being something that if spoiled would take away from the game in a way. Though I guess that comes down to what exactly you're in for. So as to answer your question you just live with those spoilers and try to make the most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom