• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

That's actually awesome. Neptunia 1 was the best of the games story-wise in my opinion, and this remake combines it with the really solid battle system of the later games.

Best thing would of course be a PC character. But it would be OP.

not sure "the best story" applies here, but it was funny.

I already posted that I see Nep Nep as PC (><)

HoosTrax

Haha, just read this re: that CS:GO gun skin with art stolen from DeviantArt:

Interestingly, Valve has opted to remove the weapon from the game, and replace the artwork on the weapon for anyone who has already bought it, while slapping a new "Contraband" level of rarity on the weapon. As a result, the price of the weapon has shot up to $400 in places.

The two creators who were responsible were banned from Steam Community as a result and won't be eligible to receive money from market transactions of the weapon. Not sure if that means Valve gets 100% of the profits. Would be nice to see it go to the original artist.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Do you have some sort of community packs, like Nintendo's Picross 3D game?
Basically, 'best of' user generated content? Or is it free for all, with actual good puzzles being mixed with all those 'need to have 5 levels done for that $0.05 Playfire cheevo'?

Incidentally, best of luck. Steam has changed a lot in the last year, especially with regards to indie games. Hopefully you will at least recoup porting cost at launch if not more.
When you play a user created level you will be asked to rate it. The rating system sorts the levels for you :).

You can also sort on Most played, Recent & Best rated.

Jawmuncher

Is E3 over yet?
Looks like capcom said fuck it this year. Really hope they pop up at TGS. This is the first time I can ever recall not knowing anything they have coming out next year.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow, that's a lot of games! I wish I had a job that would allow me to spend that much :)

The rest of the answers are more in line with what I'm willing to spend.

My job sucks. ;) It's just that the July start date meant the sale coincided with tax time here, and fortunately for Valve I had nothing else I needed to spend it on.

Arthea

Is E3 over yet?
Looks like capcom said fuck it this year. Really hope they pop up at TGS. This is the first time I can ever recall not knowing anything they have coming out next year.

Konami too, but that was to be expected.
and I honestly can't already remember TGS with many announcements, or even some.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If I've spoiled myself on a game that I later ended up getting and wanted to play, honestly what I try to do is just not focus on the game for a while and leave it to the side until I have forgotten a lot of it.

I spoiled myself with Ico by watching MatthewMatosis' review of it, but I just ignored the game for a looooong time and then by the time I remembered I wanted to play the game, my memories of the spoilers had faded.

I guess this is the plus side to having a crap memory, it's not such a good method if you can remember stuff for a long time though, so your mileage may vary.
Sometimes that helped, like with MGS2 (I knew some things about the ending, but it still managed to surprise me), but there are a couple of things about MGS4 I'll never be able to forget, such as (ACTUAL GAME SPOILERS)
the Shadow Moses flashback and the microwave scene, and also the truth behind Liquid Ocelot
. There are also other spoilers that have an impact on the way I play, like (ACTUAL GAME SPOILERS)
knowing that every enemy I kill in MGS3 will come back before a certain boss, so I'm trying to avoid killing people (I use the tranq gun instead), or that another boss will die if I stop playing the game long enough (though I'm gonna try to kill him the regular way)
. I wish I didn't know this stuff, so they would all take me by surprise, and they are kinda important, so I probably won't forget them anytime soon.

I don't worry too much about missing out on a surprise, in general, and I wouldn't worry too much about that surprise factor in those games, in specific.

A well-told story holds up without the "gotcha" moments, which are typically cheap tricks. Take the series in as a epic, sometimes-flawed, political allegory for post-WWII life. The plot is at its best when the horror of the atomic bombs in Nagasaki and Hiroshima or the continued use of child soldiers in Sudan sort of loom just under the surface of what's going in. Those "twists" to me are when it's at its worst.
You are probably right, but I'd still like to experience those games the way Kojima intended. I've got no one but myself to blame, but that still doesn't make me feel better. But yeah, the games are worth playing nevertheless.

Well, according to this study spoilers actually make things more enjoyable.

I usually tend to avoid spoilers completely, but I was spoiled to a certain death in HP & the Halfblood Prince - I still read that part of the story twice because I couldn't believe how it actually happened. So I was a bit shocked even though I knew it was coming, and I'd say it didn't detriment my enjoyment of the book at all.
Thanks for the link, I'll read that later if I remember to do it. That said, I really dislike spoilers, which is why I don't understand the reason why I spoiled myself in the first place, lol. Here's hoping I can be surprised too, despite knowing a few things about the games already.

Focus on the journey to the those spoilers instead of the spoilers themselves. If you've mainly only seen some of the bosses and read some spoilers, you should be fine for MGS 3. There's usually more than one way to defeat that game's bosses and get through areas, so your play through should still be somewhat unique.

As for MGS 4, knowing some of the plot beforehand is probably beneficial, honestly. It's easily one of the messiest MG games plot wise.
More complicated than MGS2? I find that hard to believe, though I hope that's true and I can get my mind blown again! And yeah, the journey is probably more important than those events.

Arthea

Well, it rolls off the tongue better than "least bad" :p

As you say, it was entertaining -- much more so to me than the story in the sequel.

very much agree with you here too, it was better as a game, but I was disappointed with rather serious tone of the second game.
I haven't even laugh at epic antipiracy speech, it was so... out of place but not funny enough, if you know what I mean.

Is E3 over yet?

No captivate press event this year either. Not to mention the irony that is Monster Hunter being their big game with how that franchise has been treated in the West.

To stay on topic, maybe their PC success will lead to more left field things like the RE 4 remaster. Would certainly fill some holes.

Jawmuncher

No captivate press event this year either. Not to mention the irony that is Monster Hunter being their big game with how that franchise has been treated in the West.

To stay on topic, maybe their PC success will lead to more left field things like the RE 4 remaster. Would certainly fill some holes.

Dead Rising 3 was definitely a nice surprise at least. But yeah who knows what the hell they are really doing at capcom HQ. Surprised we still don't have simple stuff like the original RE games that all have PC ports.

Or fucking Dragon's Dogma.

By far the biggest oversight ever by capcom. Would've thought dark souls pc success would convince them by now.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
More complicated than MGS2? I find that hard to believe, though I hope that's true and I can get my mind blown again! And yeah, the journey is probably more important than those events.

I'm not sure if "complicated" is the right word to describe MGS 4's plot.

There's not really a good way to talk about MGS 4's plot without talking about spoilers that completely ruin change MG lore up to that point. Speaking of the spoiler in your post,
the truth behind Liquid Ocelot is one such messy segment

derExperte

Any impressions on F1 Race Stars?
GMG sale and I have enough credit to get it for free.

Play the demo. Almost everyone thought it was rather bad, me included. Slow, no drifting and a strange boost system. Wants to be cute, ends up being annoying.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Any impressions on F1 Race Stars?
GMG sale and I have enough credit to get it for free.

The demo was pretty bad. I was absolutely shocked to find out it was a $50 game after playing it, it felt like a crappy $10 XBLA port job.

didamangi

Play the demo. Almost everyone thought it was rather bad, me included. Slow, no drifting and a strange boost system. Wants to be cute, ends up being annoying.

And it's just the base game too, looking at the store page there's a bunch of DLCs for it. Man, I wish Sonic Transformed have that many track DLCs.

kevin1025

Banned
Dead Rising 3 was definitely a nice surprise at least. But yeah who knows what the hell they are really doing at capcom HQ. Surprised we still don't have simple stuff like the original RE games that all have PC ports.

By far the biggest oversight ever by capcom. Would've thought dark souls pc success would convince them by now.

Those are the big ones I'd love to have. How aren't they there yet?!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Final Slam 2 -- MB-052AFC33FF07D462 - Taken by liezryou. 4 entrants total.

t1402586308z1.png

And new bundle

1953 - KGB Unleashed
Trauma
Mata Hari
Jack Orlando: Director's Cut
Alter Ego
The Void
The Tiny Bang Story
The Journey Down - Chapter 1
Kingdom Tales
Time Gentlemen Please! and Ben There, Dan That Special Edition Double Pack
The Witch's Yarn
Cargo! The Quest for Gravity

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/other-worlds-bundle/

only missing two of them... pass for me

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Nzyme32

Haha, just read this re: that CS:GO gun skin with art stolen from DeviantArt:

The two creators who were responsible were banned from Steam Community as a result and won't be eligible to receive money from market transactions of the weapon. Not sure if that means Valve gets 100% of the profits. Would be nice to see it go to the original artist.

What is there to stop people gaming this system?

Anyone who sees copyright infringing stuff buys it and gets others to report it. Valve changes, gives it a contraband rarity, the users sell it and profit...

If I add Steam funds using, say, a $50 card bought at Target, and then later add funds using my credit card on file, will it trigger that waiting period where you can't use Steam Marketplace?

vareon

That's actually awesome. Neptunia 1 was the best of the games story-wise in my opinion, and this remake combines it with the really solid battle system of the later games.

Best thing would of course be a PC character. But it would be OP.

Wait, the remake has a different battle system? I couldn't finish the first one as it puts me to sleep. Playing it on a friend's PS3 didn't help, too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If I add Steam funds using, say, a $50 card bought at Target, and then later add funds using my credit card on file, will it trigger that waiting period where you can't use Steam Marketplace?

The market restriction only kicks in if you add funds using a payment method you hadn't previously used on the store, and as you seem to be aware, Wallet codes don't count as a payment method -- they're completely neutral as far as Steam is concerned.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so is tomorow the last day of the GMG sale (going from their little day timer graphic only)?

Nope, because you basically redeem a Steam code and then you use your already memorized cc.

The market restriction only kicks in if you add funds using a payment method you hadn't previously used on the store, and as you seem to be aware, Wallet codes don't count as a payment method -- they're completely neutral as far as Steam is concerned.

Thanks. I assumed this was the case, but with the sale on the horizon, I wanted to make sure. There's a ton of wheeling and dealing to be done on the Marketplace around sale time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom