• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Resident Evil 4 is a fantastic game in its own right, and on a personal note I don't think the current games are even really bad (with the exception of Operation Raccoon City). I would like more old-school RE, but I also like the new stuff, and actually think current RE are some of the best co-op games to exist.

Resident Evil 4 I don't think really deserves blame, that's like saying it's Resident Evil 1's fault tank controls and fixed-camera angles became popular, or that its Slender: Eight Pages fault for the Slender over-usage in games. For better or worse in the horror genre, there's a lot of clones, and it's not the original games fault that they go an ambitious route that then catches on and everyone else tries to clone it.

I'd also argue that Resident Evil 4 managed to still have great atmosphere and some good scares despite being an action game. This is even ignoring that Resident Evil 4 has fantastic level design and pacing.

Anyways, here's hoping that Evil Within manages to be a sort of Resident Evil 4 with more horror. It's looking like it will be, but to be seen.

Dusk Golem

All this RE talk reminds me that there's some heavy rumors that a spin-off RE game in the style of Revelations is supposed to be revealed at E3. I've caught whiff that the game was shown off to some fansite communities but they're currently on embargo until E3 to post some details and exclusive stuff. We'll have to see if it ends up true or not in a little over a week.

The details of the rumor come from two runners of RE fansites, the biggest France RE site and Project Umbrella's News Bot. The details rumored are:

-Title designed by the team who made Revelations and designed to be sort of a sequel to it.
-Supposed to be another attempt at making an old-school horror game to appeal to old fans, though Revelations was supposed to be this too.
-Supposed to feature three old RE characters that haven't appeared in over a decade.

Arthea

Ever since the retroactive region-lock kerfuffle with Black Flag last year, Ubi's official line when it comes to anything that involves Steam is "Ask Steam." I'd be willing to bet that if you submitted a technical support ticket and mentioned you own the Steam version, Ubi would tell you to get in touch with Valve. :p

wait, so Valve thinks Uplay is misleading tag? the more you know... (><)

-MD-

All this RE talk reminds me that there's some heavy rumors that a RE game in the style of Revelations is supposed to be revealed at E3. I've caught whiff that the game was shown off to some fansite communities but they're currently on embargo until E3 to post some details and exclusive stuff. We'll have to see if it ends up true or not in a little over a week.

The details of the rumor come from two runners of RE fansites, the biggest France RE site and Project Umbrella's News Bot. The details rumored are:

-Title designed by the team who made Revelations and designed to be sort of a sequel to it.
-Supposed to be another attempt at making an old-school horror game to appeal to old fans, though Revelations was supposed to be this too.
-Supposed to feature three old RE characters that haven't appeared in a while.

I'm like 99.9% sure it's just gonna be another action game but I'd love for them to prove me wrong and actually attempt to give it some oldschool survival-horror flavor.

I really wish Capcom would let the series run side by side with eachother, one for oldschool fans and one for modern gamers.

Jawmuncher

All this RE talk reminds me that there's some heavy rumors that a RE game in the style of Revelations is supposed to be revealed at E3. I've caught whiff that the game was shown off to some fansite communities but they're currently on embargo until E3 to post some details and exclusive stuff. We'll have to see if it ends up true or not in a little over a week.

-Supposed to feature three old RE characters that haven't appeared in a while.

Hopefully this rumored game is fully realized. Rev always felt odd to me even on 3DS.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm like 99.9% sure it's just gonna be another action game but I'd love for them to prove me wrong and actually attempt to give it some oldschool survival-horror flavor.

I really wish Capcom would let the series run side by side with eachother, one for oldschool fans and one for modern gamers.
that'd be lovely but you know, modern game publishing :/

Dusk Golem

It probably is, again Capcom claimed Revelations was an old-school styled game, and I guess it was more than RE5 or RE6, but it still had a lot of action... Like, okay, old RE had a lot of action too. The like of the old games included exploding buses and buildings, gorey headshots, and the like, but it of course was balanced with other things.

I'm hoping if this is all true and it is a sequel of sorts to Revelations, that they learned from critiques from the first game. And I hope it's not handheld exclusive, while very happy Revelations came to consoles and PC, its handheld nature still showed in many ways. If Capcom can realize they can make a RE game with puzzles, with atmosphere, scares, and hold itself back on the action department and some other recent tropes, it at least could be interesting.

Dr Dogg

I'm still debating when is the best time to put Uplay back in to online mode. I've sunk 41 hours into Watch_Dogs with it offline and has been a pretty pain free experience on the Uplay front (still backed up my save as you never know). Even been getting Uplay rewards too. I wonder if I'll get achievements retroactively as well?

KarmaCow

Did Dark Souls 2 just get a small patch? It's <1mb so I can't imagine it did anything significant if it was an actual patch.

Knurek

So, I'm getting closer to the end in Half-Life 2 (just started Anticitizen One).

Pondering whether to jump straight into Lost Coast/Episodes, or to finish my Blands playthrough (wrapped up the first hub area and just dropped the game for some reason).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Did Dark Souls 2 just get a small patch? It's <1mb so I can't imagine it did anything significant if it was an actual patch.

I just got a weird 1.2MB patch on STALKER: Call of Pripyat. Wonder what's wiggin out back there.

I still need to get around to playing RE:R. Would love a full blown Mercs game next.

The precedent is there, at least.

N0nXnRc.jpg

Action or no action, I'm not too fussed because it is all in the balance and design.

If they must split it up, I would hope they make one series that is actually single player, for people who want to play a good game. You know, like RE4.

Then they can also make some coop shooter rubbish I never have to touch.

Everybody wins.

Finally a steam thread where I'm not the only one saying positive things about Resident Evil 6 <3

Have there been any impressions of Murdered: Soul Suspect going around?

So, I'm getting closer to the end in Half-Life 2 (just started Anticitizen One).

Pondering whether to jump straight into Lost Coast/Episodes, or to finish my Blands playthrough (wrapped up the first hub area and just dropped the game for some reason).

Go straight into the episodes. Lost Coast is just a 15 min tech demo.

Vuze

Checked out Witcher 2 for two hours (it finally worked after I re-downloaded the 15Gigs of data...) now and I kinda like it. Combat feels pretty clumsy to me but I'm pretty sure this will go away once I get used to it.

Knurek

Checked out Witcher 2 for two hours (it finally worked after I re-downloaded the 15Gigs of data...) now and I kinda like it. Combat feels pretty clumsy to me but I'm pretty sure this will go away once I get used to it.

It won't, unfortunately. Combat is improved when compared to Witcher 1, but still can't escape the eurojank stigma.

zkylon

zkylewd

combat doesn't get much better but it's bearable

story and choice and consequence does get really, really good half way on

totally worth it

Arthea

what is this eurojunk you keep talking about? I can't quite grasp concept. Is it lack of Polish? Or some gameplay mechanics? I see it used for games that are as different as possible at times. It seems one of those words that people like, even if a word itself describes nothing. Am I right?

zkylon

zkylewd
what is this eurojunk you keep talking about? I can't quite grasp concept. Is it lack of Polish? Or some gameplay mechanics? I see it used for games that are as different as possible at times. It seems one of those words that people like, even if a word itself describes nothing. Am I right?
it's basically a blanket term for eastern european games with half baked features that are usually pretty clunky.

think like the xenus games or pathologic or even some aspects of the stalker and witcha series

edit: these games usually turn out to be pretty good because they're actually stupidly overambitious.

a good example of a non-eastern european but still pretty janky game is my dear mount & blade

Quite the opposite.
lol

Knurek

Wildly ambitious and deeply flawed (mostly) European RPGs.
Not as much polish as the US/Canadian games, way more complex than their budget would suggest and (YMMV, and I know Durante will murder me for saying that) not as fun to play due to flaws.
Prime examples being I'd say Divinity 2, Gothic/Risen, The Witcher.

Arthea

it's basically a blanket term for eastern european games with half baked features that are usually pretty clunky.

think like the xenus games or pathologic or even some aspects of the stalker and witcha series

edit: these games usually turn out to be pretty good because they're actually stupidly overambitious.

a good example of a non-eastern european but still pretty janky game is my dear mount & blade

lol
Oh, now I get it! Have you heard about this Skyrim everybody plays? It's more janky than anything! It is eurojuank!
that's my best joke today, laugh, fgs!

Oh, now I get it! Have you heard about this Skyrim everybody plays? It's more janky than anything! It is eurojuank!
that's my best joke today, laugh, fgs!
mLn1SAu.gif

:p

This gif is just reminding me that I haven't played FF14 in a few days now, hmmm.

Also wow that is a pretty big boss anthem.

Arthea

Talking about wildly ambitious things.
You guys really should try Kairo. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say it's a game for everyone, quite opposite in fact. But it is weird and creepy at times, and most of the time you have no idea what's going on and what to do.
It feels somewhat as nightmarish dream, but "immersive" if you are into such things, I mean mysteries and symbolism and such.

edited: one more detail I forgot to mention, you get glimpses of some kind of reality in there, and they end with screen gradually going dark, like loosing concious or falling asleep, really nice touch, I thought I'll mention it.
Also I will post one screen, for feels

Kyougar

lol

Wasnt Mount & Blade turkish? So southern Europe/Asia. Mount & Blade is the best Medieval RPG-Simulator ever.

And US/Canada can only do AAA. Without the european Devs, we wouldnt get Medium budget games.
It's when they try to do AAA (Gothic 3) or nonsense Consoleadventures (X-Rebirth), that they fuck up.
I hope CDProject is going to survive Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk :/

Arthea

Wasnt Mount & Blade turkish? So southern Europe/Asia. Mount & Blade is the best Medieval RPG-Simulator ever.

And US/Canada can only do AAA. Without the european Devs, we wouldnt get Medium budget games.
It's when they try to do AAA (Gothic 3) or nonsense Consoleadventures (X-Rebirth), that they fuck up.

I don't know, man, the Witcher seems plenty AAA to me. It's not based on budged, AAA I mean.

Kyougar

I don't know, man, the Witcher seems plenty AAA to me. It's not based on budged, AAA I mean.

Do you mean Witcher 1? it was medium Budget (I talk AAA in terms of Ambition AND Money)
Witcher 3 is clearly AAA, thats what I am worried about.

Arthea

Do you mean Witcher 1? it was medium Budget (I talk AAA in terms of Ambition AND Money)
Witcher 3 is clearly AAA, thats what I am worried about.

not what I mean, a game being AAA is not based on budget, it usually has high budget, but sometimes, like the Witcher it doesn't and is still AAA.

zkylon

zkylewd

yup, turkish

but still pretty representative of the eurojank genre as a whole

tons of ambition

hilariously underbudgeted

nothing works so good

it's still fucking amazing!

Kyougar

not what I mean, a game being AAA is not based on budget, it usually has high budget, but sometimes, like the Witcher it doesn't and is still AAA.

That could be applied to every game that one finds phenomenal in his own rights. I would apply that to X3 on Scale and Ingame-Economics alone. Or the Anno series. Or Hearts of Iron 3.

I love the Witcher Series like the next guy, but lets not forget, it needed (and got) an overhaul BADLY.

Arthea

That could be applied to every game that one finds phenomenal in his own rights. I would apply that to X3 on Scale and Ingame-Economics alone. Or the Anno series. Or Hearts of Iron 3.

I love the Witcher Series like the next guy, but lets not forget, it needed (and got) an overhaul BADLY.

indeed it can, AAA basically means that a game is very popular, that's it.
Only I don't think that games you mentioned are that popular, not mainstream enough.

i dunno, troika was pretty good too

you redeem yourself constantly with your quality posts, lately,
after your fiasco with Riki
Troika was awesome and Arcanum is one of the best games ever too, unappreciated as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom