• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
yup, turkish

but still pretty representative of the eurojank genre as a whole

tons of ambition

hilariously underbudgeted

nothing works so good

it's still fucking amazing!

It's the best game ever, get Floris and why do we get this subtle Turkish yet EuroJank treatment, don't we count as Eruopeans anymore?

With My Deepest Feelings, Mavs​

NIN90

not what I mean, a game being AAA is not based on budget, it usually has high budget, but sometimes, like the Witcher it doesn't and is still AAA.
You are using the term AAA incorrectly then.
Witcher 1 was pretty underground and mad janky.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's the best game ever, get Floris and why do we get this subtle Turkish yet EuroJank treatment, don't we count as Eruopeans anymore?

With My Deepest Feelings, Mavs​
well i'm ignorant and have no idea where exactly turkey is in europe so didn't want to say it was eastern european

sorry

my mom got me a fez from turkey and i love it btw. so like, between mount & blade and my fez, turkey's been kind enough to me that i should probably look at a fucking map and learn where it is

well i'm ignorant and have no idea where exactly turkey is in europe so didn't want to say it was eastern european

sorry

my mom got me a fez from turkey and i love it btw. so like, between mount & blade and my fez, turkey's been kind enough to me that i should probably look at a fucking map and learn where it is

Ok, apology accepted. I'll tell the mob to stop burning and looting your house, I hope I'm not too late. And enjoy your Fez, they are cool.

Kyougar

indeed it can, AAA basically means that a game is very popular, that's it.
Only I don't think that games you mentioned are that popular, not mainstream enough.

In their particular Genre/Subgenre, they are the cream of the Top.

X3 and HoI3 have MASSIVE devoted Fanbases (X-Rebirth burned all theses bridges for the X franchise). And I never suspected, that the Anno franchise was known and beloved outside of Germany.

I dont think we can apply Fanbase/Popular to define AAA. Many Indie and Medium Dev Games have a bigger fanbase and more sales than some (failed) AAA games.

Salsa

impulse!

1D9dcdi.png

Arthea

AAA only means a game has high budget and is highly marketed.

says who?
It means a game is received well and sold a lot and is high quality, often those games are high budget, but not necessary.

In their particular Genre/Subgenre, they are the cream of the Top.

X3 and HoI3 have MASSIVE devoted Fanbases (X-Rebirth burned all theses bridges for the X franchise). And I never suspected, that the Anno franchise was known and beloved outside of Germany.

I dont think we can apply Fanbase/Popular to define AAA. Many Indie and Medium Dev Games have a bigger fanbase and more sales than some (failed) AAA games.

Well, that's why I keep insisting that term AAA is meaningless. ;)

Highly recommend Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Really fun 2-player co-op game with a ton of levels, secrets and a hefty mix of action, puzzle solving, and platforming.

+1 for Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. It's a great co-op game and loads of fun, some of the puzzles actually change on coop as well, nice surprise when I first co-op the game after finishing it solo.
I sensed Guardian of Light was being praised somewhere. What a gem that game was, even with the rough edges.

It makes me legitimately sad each time I realize a sequel for this has been denied thanks to that shitfest of a reboot called Tomb Raider (2013). Everyone who liked that game should feel guilty.

says who?
It means a game is received well and sold a lot and is high quality, often those games are high budget, but not necessary.

That's the definition of AAA. Just google "AAA game industry" and you'll find enough sources.

Selling well and being of "high quality" is usually expected of those games, but not part of the definition.

Arthea

That's the definition of AAA. Just google "AAA game industry" and you'll find enough sources.

Selling well and being of "high quality" is usually expected of those games, but not part of the definition.

well, I get back at you! (><)
you google and check definition, preferable historic one, as I'm referring to it.

Zafir

I sensed Guardian of Light was being praised somewhere. What a gem that game was, even with the rough edges.

It makes me legitimately sad each time I realize a sequel for this has been denied thanks to that shitfest of a reboot called Tomb Raider (2013). Everyone who liked that game should feel guilty.
I liked it and don't feel guilty. *shrug*

you google and check definition, preferable historic one, as I'm referring to it.

I saw a few sources saying that it meant something different in the past (quality, sales), but I don't think it means anything other than "big budget" today.

cHinzo

okay steam gaf

i give you shit but i need your help

imma need some recommendations for a pc game that a friend and i can online co op (we got good 'puters don't worry about specs)
+1 for Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. It's a great co-op game and loads of fun, some of the puzzles actually change on coop as well, nice surprise when I first co-op the game after finishing it solo.

You should be prepared for that horrible netcode though. Me and my co-op buddy couldn't even finish the game, because either me or him kept getting disconnected. No clue if they have fixed it yet, but probably not, since it's quite an old game.

The game itself was wonderful though. The puzzles and platforming were fun and required much teamplay and the replayability is quite high with all those challenges and unlockables. It's great if co-op works.

The games I would recommend playing co-op are:
-Forced (indie action rpg with puzzles and other tactical elements)
-Portal 2 (one of my favourite co-op game. The puzzles are great and the game is really polished)
-Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (requires a bit more tactics compared to those run-and-gun shooters we've got nowadays, might worth a try)
-Torchlight (pretty fun action co-op rpg and the game itself is huge)

Arthea

I saw a few sources saying that it meant something different in the past (quality, sales), but I don't think it means anything other than "big budget" today.

then it's even less meaningful, why we just can't say high budget game instead of AAA?

Anyway, I'm done with this argument, it's funny to spend so much time arguing about something I wish we would forget and let to die (><)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is != was.
Troika being dead == ;_;
The fact that both Arcanum and ToEE are not on Steam == double ;_;

I'm sure they'll make the jump eventually. Even Atari has jumped on the GOG-to-Steam bandwadgon. (Incidentally, Atari was going to release Hasbro's D&D catalogue on Steam at one point but never got around to finishing the job.)

Dr Dogg

Actually a good thing to go have a read up on is the term Blockbuster (especially how it relates to the movie industry) and how it has evolved and changed it's meaning from the 40s and 50s period, to the resurgence of the term during the mid 70s and then massive widespread use during the 80s and how the term changed over time. The book Easy Riders, Raging Bulls by journalist Peter Biskind raises some good points about the Studio System and their obsession with chasing success through spending stupid money as well as focus on a widespread audience. Very similar to what's happening in the Games Industry right now.

Knurek

Coincidently, I have a free Skyborn Steam code for the first person who posts the next value in the below sequence:

1, 1, 1, 2, 5, 21, 233, 10946, 5702887, 139583862445

Knurek

Thank you Knurek. (Even if I just googled it? Higher math is like stick and stones for me....)

Sure, if I make another one for something more valuable than $1 tier, it will be a bit harder than y=F(F(x)), where F is a Fibonacci number function.

Kyougar

Sure, if I make another one for something more valuable than $1 tier, it will be a bit harder than y=F(F(x)), where F is a Fibonacci number function.

Hey, I would have thrown the Word Fibonacci at you if you had asked in what correlation the numbers are. (found some math PDF ^^)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
so..what i should buy to have a cheap, nice straming machine for steam?

Do you have a smartphone or tablet? I'd just wait for the inevitable streaming support before spending any money. The feature already supports Windows, Mac and Linux (although at present you can only stream from Windows), so Android and iOS-based devices are about the only things "... with support for more systems coming soon" could possibly be referring to.

I'll quote myself from the previous topic:

Theoretically it's perfectly possible for a developer to blacklist D3D injectors such as SweetFX, but I'd imagine that no studio is actually silly enough to do so.

Kyougar

There is always something, event the poor villages has provided me with fine grain and linens also many cattles. But at the cost of their lords disapproval.

Had some bug in Warband where in some Mod you only got Butter after slaughtering Cattle. Didnt want to know what they did to those Cows... and Bulls.

Knurek

Had some bug in Warband where in some Mod you only got Butter after slaughtering Cattle. Didnt want to know what they did to those Cows... and Bulls.

You sure this wasn't Settlers 3, which had an anti-piracy measure that made Smithy produce beer instead of iron or something similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom