• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
How's the story?

I saw the opening cutscene but I didn't play the opening section, and I haven't seen it through all the way so I can't say fully. For all I know the story could turn out to be brilliant or turn into utter shit. From what I managed to put together:

-Our character was hunting and was killed by someone known as the 'Bell Killer'. This is from the opening so its not a spoiler, the opening shows our character's demise and a sort of quick flash through his life in three minutes deal... Basically the first three minutes of the game is introducing the Bell Murderer case and our character's death.

-There are three sides to the story from what I've seen. There's the 'living' world, which we cross through. In the real world, there's a murderer known as the Bell Killer, and we're following our old police department trying to crack the case. The Bell Killer is also who killed us, so obviously we got a bone to pick with him. The second side is the 'Dusk World', which is a world of death on our plane of reality. In this world there are spirits that come from all eras of American history, and sometimes you see glimpses of other time periods, or fragments and objects from the past that exist in the Dusk World. There's something going on in the Dusk World, but I don't really get it yet. Then there's our character, who died and found out that if he can solve why he's in the Dusk World and be able to move on, he'll be able to be with his wife again, who died a while back (and to which event destroyed him). So he wants to move on to be with her, but to do that he needs to take care of something that's keeping him to this world, and move on.

-Acting was good, from what I heard. Our character is a bit grisly, but he's charismatic and I ended up liking him in my short time playing. He's kind of got a sense of humor, but also takes things very seriously, if that makes any sense. There's also this ghost girl who's been helpful who looks like she came from the 1800s or something.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
First, and I'm late on this, thanks Dupy! Legends of your awesomeness were not exaggerated.

And second, could someone post that handy link that shows the lowest a game has been? My head is mostly fog and burps this morning... I've even failed at googling...

http://steamsales.rhekua.com/ A couple of things to note:

1) The site only tracks the US store and,
2) The data only goes back to late 2010

There's also Steam Prices, but its historical data is limited to the past ~7 months, making it rather useless for older titles.

Edit: You may be referring to ITAD.

Milamber

See, I want to buy Murdered, but after my Watch_Dogs fiasco, even after all the telltale warnings, I can't trust my own judgement.

JaseC

New Homefront looks good and it's Deep Silver published meaning Crytek will actually have to use Steamworks for once. Feels good.

I wonder when Crytek will brother bringing back the original Homefront to digital storefronts. It'd be a good idea to include it with pre-purchases, but again Crytek is lazy -- yes, lazy* -- on the distribution front (Second Sight is also gathering dust at the Crytek offices following publishing rights reverting back to Radical a.k.a. Crytek UK back in September 2012).

* I hate the whole "lazy devs" thing, but it applies here. I mean, I doubt Crytek literally can't be bothered doing the above, but all the balls are in its court, which raises the question of "What's the hold-up?"

Wait, I always thought that Is there any deal tracks literally everything (every deal past and present), was I wrong?

Oh, yeah, you're thinking of Is There Any Deal?

I wonder when Crytek will brother bringing back the original Homefront to digital storefronts. It'd be a good idea to include it with pre-purchases, but again Crytek is lazy -- yes, lazy* -- on the distribution front (Second Sight is also gathering dust at the Crytek offices following publishing rights reverting back to Radical a.k.a. Crytek UK back in September 2012).

* I hate the whole "lazy devs" thing, but it applies here.

If I was Crytek, I would be actively preventing the release of the original Homefront.

Parsnip

Well, grabbed Murdered from GMG with their -20% coupon and some 10€~ of credit. Figured I should use the credit at some point, can't really think of anything else coming out in the near future that I would want to buy anyway.

Dr Dogg

See, I want to buy Murdered, but after my Watch_Dogs fiasco, even after all the telltale warnings, I can't trust my own judgement.

I can't put Watch_Doggies down. Technical issues won't even kill my fun.

NebUTK5.png

Worrying thing is that I have played it more than collectively everyone I've got added on Steam who owns it.

Still only at 38% total completion.

Well, grabbed Murdered from GMG with their -20% coupon and some 10€~ of credit. Figured I should use the credit at some point, can't really think of anything else coming out in the near future that I would want to buy anyway.

how the hell did it let you add credit? I just tried and with the 20% coupon applied it gave me the garbage from a few posts up

Tizoc

Making a call now, Murdered: Soul Suspect is going to be a polarizing game. I played a bit at a friend's house, my impressions from my time with it is that the people who will enjoy it the most are those who can enjoy 'minimalism gameplay' experience games... By this I mean things like Walking Dead or Heavy Rain. It's kind of a mix between those type of games, a spiritual puzzle game like Geist or Ghost Trick, and a horror game.

619.jpg

It's hard to judge the story from a bit of hands-on time with it, but it seemed interesting enough, and everyone I heard seemed pretty well acted. The game definitely looked pretty, there were a few frame rate problems on consoles but that shouldn't be an issue on PC.

What I gathered is gameplay is split into four 'styles'. The four styles merge together in gameplay, and sometimes you rapidly switch between them. The first is when you're walking around and exploring the environment, interacting with it with your ghostly powers sometimes for puzzles. The second is 'cinematic' gameplay, by which I mean you do something 'cinematically', like the game focuses on your hand and you then can fully control it to interact with something else, or something like that. The third is possessing people, where you take them over, interact with other people and try to do things with the possessed people to accomplish your tasks. The fourth is when Dusk Demons show up, which you're defenseless too and you have to run and hide from them as they chase you (or try and sneak past them without them detecting you).

Had a lot of moments of a lot of cutscenes with little gameplay, and then a bit of gameplay, and then more story, or segments of a gameplay continuously but the story is still present. Basically a story-focused game, where even in gameplay the story continues,

It gave me strong vibes of a few other games, but it all seemed interesting enough. I think I'll bite when its a little cheaper for my budget, however. It didn't seem bad to me, but it just seems like a game that's going to get mixed reception (partially to the type of game it is) and underperform likely. Still, I think some here on Steam GAF might like it, it seemed like a game that would fill a certain niche and probably find a cult audience,

The demons looked cool.

sl5a_image_murdered_soul_suspect-24490-2654_0006-670x376.jpg
How scary is it though? I'm really a big fan of horror games or games with 'jump scares' :p

Ponn

Banned
So i'm getting an Asus T100 in about a week. I just wanted to do light gaming on it. Do you think it can handle Baldurs Gate 2 Enhanced and Age of Mythology Extended? Also they are both full price now, it seems pretty silly to ask but should I wait for a sale?

MUnited83

For you.
10 bucks in three months.

Yep. I don't buy Square Enix games at launch anymore, I know they will hit 5$ 6 months or less after release.

Besides, you already get AMD silver codes for like 25$-26$ and you would be able to get Murdered and Thief.

Milamber Alert: This being a Squeenix game, it will be 50% off in three months.

It's already 25%off in some places. I can bet this game will bomb and have a 50%off sale somewhere after the first month.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
How scary is it though? I'm really a big fan of horror games or games with 'jump scares' :p

This I cannot judge fully yet. But for me personally not too much yet, besides panicking "Oh shit!" moments.

Like... At least in the early part of the game I played, there's only one demon I've encountered so far (there's a mention of demons, plural, though so I assume there's more than the one I've encountered so far). This demon is the demon in the screen I posted. He kind of randomly goes around the level while you explore and solve puzzles. He looks creepy, and has this cool jittery effect that looks uneasy, and when he starts to get closer this creepy music starts playing. He was the only real 'scary' element from the portion of the game I played. But not really terrifying, you can see him (and other people) through walls using a sensing ability, though I think when you use it that it alerts him (or at least, gives him a general direction of where you are) when you sense through walls with him nearby.

I could take some guesses on how future demons might work, but he basically worked as a randomized stalker who went around the level and you didn't want to get caught by as you were doing other things. The areas at the start also had a lot of other living people though, and the game could very well get a lot scarier, or not, or something.

Milamber

So i'm getting an Asus T100 in about a week. I just wanted to do light gaming on it. Do you think it can handle Baldurs Gate 2 Enhanced and Age of Mythology Extended? Also they are both full price now, it seems pretty silly to ask but should I wait for a sale?

It can definitely handle those types, especially if they are touch capable. I used one to play my Hentai Visual Novels on, purely with the touch screen.

JaseC

You'd probably have to make quite a few concessions -- Intel's Atom processor was built specifically for ultra-low power consumption and so it's not at all geared towards gaming. As for the games, the Summer Sale is, if recent history is any indication, just over a month away.

Where can I buy that cheap AMD Murdered code?

eBay and other sites like it.

Arthea

Why do SE games' prices drop so fast?

Have you ever bought FF game?
They don't drop prices like forever, sometimes literally forever, unless platinum is released or something.
For example Lightning Returns is still full priced, even if it's bombed hard (I think)

Only western SE games are discounted fast, Japanese ones are not.

Have you played Proteus? I consider it a great game to relax.

I haven't played it yet, but I plan to.

Although, that's not kind of relaxing I had in mind.
Some collectibles in HotK were so small that I couldn't see them at all, so sitting there and staring into screen for hours, clicking every pixel on screen until I got them all, was my joke about this game being relaxing. Other than that, it is relaxing. (><)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom