• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came here to say how frustrated I am about MS announcing another Forza without a PC version (I know the series has never been on PC). Then I checked the OP and it's using an image of Forza Motorsport 5 for GRID: Autosport.

:(

I can't not enable steam overlay without launching steam as admin on my laptop, yet it works perfectly fine on my desktop pc, anyone knows how to fix it?

Knurek

If only they didn't tie those interesting games to the Uplay garbage.

This Uplay 'garbage' has this thing going on:

EA1gcZd.gif

I'd say it's high time we all uninstalled Steam and switch to their superior product.

Hasney

If only they didn't tie those interesting games to the Uplay garbage.

Yeah, my watch_dogs experience (and the fact I couldn't even sign into Trials Fusion on a console when it came out) means that I'm now putting all Ubi games into the "Wait for sale" category.

I mean, would you bet $30 million on "Wow, cool premise, looks neat", or would you try to get it down to a science that you could get a return on investment? Doesn't mean that publishers don't make wrong bets--I bet Murdered won't make its budget back--but it does mean that every step of the way there are forms of analysis they use to see how things are coming along, project the future, and ramp down or up investment based on the most likely future.

But your attitude comes off as "If it's a good game, it should be a success", which is fine for you as a fan, but it's not fine for the business side of things. Like people complaining their favourite TV show got cancelled and if only the network had been willing to spend millions of dollars, give the show the best time slot, renew it for a few years while losing money... maybe it'd grow into the most popular show in the world. That's not really how things work.

Games are even more marquee-heavy (as in, they get all their sales upfront, rather than from older, catalogue titles) than any other form of entertainment too. And it's not just publishers that make it this way, it's also retailers, for whom churn is an important thing and rotten stock is the worst possible outcome. This is in part because of the incredibly low margins and poor price protection provisions protecting retailers with new release games. Something that launches poorly does poorly. There are probably only a handful of cases of retail games ending up being quiet successes, and most were first-party games that benefitted from being offered as sacrificial lambs to the bundle process (LBP for example had a slow ramp up). The games that do tend to have longer sales curves either have successful multiplayer (nope), are long and replayable (nope, nope), attract a wider audience demographic like women and older-than-average gamers (nope).

Excellent summary... will add a couple points.

Slow starters at retail becoming a success can really be narrowed to one game, Guitar Hero. It had an inverse decay curve, which you just don't see. Other than that, if you know the day 1 sales, the volume that will come over the next two years can be predicted with a comfortable range of error of about +/- 20%.

And price protection reserves come from the publisher. So, if a game does poorly, the publisher will refund $x per unit to a retailer to allow the retailer to lower the price. Some publishers do this slowly, others more proactively, and the speed of these drops will depend on many factors, including the publisher's upcoming games slate (if they want to sell in a new game, they'll often drop the price on the old games) and the competitive slate, among other reasons. The catch is that demand in games is price insensitive for the most part, meaning that lower prices do not cause dramatic increases in sales (exception of course being STEAM sales, where everything goes crazy).

A drop from $60 to $50, for example, will net in a +10% increase in the next weeks' sales, but by week 6 the game will be back on it's old sales curve. It gets better lower on the scale, a drop from $30 to $20 will net you +30% or so the week following the drop, but that's mainly because retailers like Target will get your games out from behind glass and put them on the Value section, where people can just buy the game without talking to a salesperson.

Quality is the highest correlative metric for predicting future sales of a game, but the correlation is weak, only about 20-30% of the variability in sales between titles can be explained by changes in quality. Many highly rated games don't sell, and some lower rated games sell well. So, being a "good game" is no guarantee at all of success, unfortunately.

All that said, I'm looking forward to the game.

MUnited83

For you.
Already bought this on release, so here is a spare of one of the best games of 2014.

ModBot said:
Instructions for BernardoOne:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Unearthed -- MB-4F587992FAA65C38 - Taken by Hasney

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also for anyone curious, the cheapest place to get Murdered: Soul Suspect cheapest in American USD regularly would be GamersGate. The game's regular discount price on the site is one cent cheaper than GamersGate, and you get Blue Coins for it (not much, but basically you'd get like... $2 back?

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MSS/murdered-soul-suspect

The cheaper alternative would be AMD vouchers from Ebay or something.

Li Kao

Just dipped a toe in steamtrades. I'm a little dizzy from all the possible savings. But I'm not knowledgeable enough to bite without the risk of a nasty region lock, a scammer etc... Still, some people are selling new games pretty cheap.
Jase, why U no steamdatabase turorial ? :p

maneil99

Just dipped a toe in steamtrades. I'm a little dizzy from all the possible savings. But I'm not knowledgeable enough to bite without the risk of a nasty region lock, a scammer etc... Still, some people are selling new games pretty cheap.
Jase, why U no steamdatabase turorial ? :p

look for people with alot of rep ( + Green Numbers )

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
New bundle day yay!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Subject 9 -- MB-365679CA7D4CEE7D - Taken by Purkake4
Unearthed Trail of Ibn Battuta Episode 1 Gold Edition -- MB-21DE1447E06D0244 - Taken by louiedog
Zack Zero -- MB-DE9416AA85F14BED - Taken by nightstorm

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why do I have it in my head that retail copies of Cryostasis activate on Steam?

I wish retail copies of Wolfenstein (2009) activated on Steam. I have an unopened copy that I'll probably never play because I haven't owned a computer with an optical drive in at least 5 years.

Thanks for Unearthed.

I know it gets a lot of shit, but I actually found it enjoyable (in a sadistic kinda way) and I hope you do too!

Li Kao

look for people with alot of rep ( + Green Numbers )

Yeah I'm not too concerned on the scammer front. There is the rep system, there is the added protection of trading with keys, etc... But I don't know steamdb enough to tell if a game is region restricted. People talk about subs, packages and surely other things I forget. And I'm awfully lost in all that chatter.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Zack Zero -- MB-72A6D4A68F4BE677 - Taken by Exuro. 1 entrants total.
Unearthed Trail of Ibn Battuta -- MB-C82ED7094817FB51 - Taken by mr_tc. 4 entrants total.

t1401722543z1.png

louiedog

I know it gets a lot of shit, but I actually found it enjoyable (in a sadistic kinda way) and I hope you do too!

I've been looking forward to playing it for the same reasons I like to watch bad movies. I think I know what I'm getting into and relish it.

didamangi

Yeah I'm not too concerned on the scammer front. There is the rep system, there is the added protection of trading with keys, etc... But I don't know steamdb enough to tell if a game is region restricted. People talk about subs, packages and surely other things I forget. And I'm awfully lost in all that chatter.

JaseC will probably explain the steamdb thing in detail any minute but any decent high rep CIS/RU/BR trader on steamtrades will probably tell you if the games you want are region locked or not.

Indie Gala Monday 9 bundle
Price: 1$
  • 8bitboy
  • Subject 9
  • The Desolate Hope
  • Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode 1 - Gold
  • Zack Zero
  • The Race For The White House (GL)

Edit: God damn it.

Your edit is my reaction after I bit on the shinyloot daily of subject 9 for $2 since I missed it in a bundle before.

Good timing. I crafted a few badges earlier today and one of the coupons was -50% 8bb.

See above. >_<

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
morning gaf. nice little gala to start the day

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Subs and packages are the same thing. As far as determining region-lock measures are concerned, the big ones you want to watch out for are:

- (Subs) The AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting flag: this region-locks gift copies from South American (due to cheaper BRL prices), Eastern European (due to cheaper RUB prices) and South-East Asian (due to the incoming cheaper THB prices) at the activation level (unused gift copies that have been traded away are also affected, so always activate ASAP)
- (Subs) The allowonlyrunincountries and prohibitrunincountries flags: the former restricts the ability to run the game to users in the nominated countries while the latter, as the name implies, disallows users in the nominated countries from running the game
- (Subs) The AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries flag: if set to "no", users in the nominated countries will be prevented from redeeming keys (not gift copies, just keys); if set to "yes", users in the countries not listed will be prevented from redeeming keys

You can get around all three of the above with a VPN, but I'd recommend against doing so for the first two (the first because it may get your account restricted; the second because unless you have a paid VPN service it's a cumbersome, far-from-ideal solution -- either use Offline Mode or, provided the game uses CEG/"Steam DRM", the app id trick). On the rarer end of the scale there's also:

- (Subs) Region-specific subs that have different depots (e.g. South Park ROW versus South Park AU) as this may mean that the game is censored or language-locked
- (Apps) Region-specific apps, for the same reasons as above (e.g. Wolfenstein ROW and Wolfenstein DE)

Once an app has been released, you can view depot descriptions by checking the depots tab of the app itself. For example, continuing with the former above example, the depots for South Park ROW are:

213680 - South Park: TSOT Polish
213679 - South Park: TSOT Portuguese
213678 - South Park: TSOT Spanish
213677 - South Park: TSOT Russian
213676 - South Park: TSOT Italian
213675 - South Park: TSOT German
213674 - South Park: TSOT French
213673 - South Park: TSOT English
213671 - South Park: TSOT Base
213682 - South Park: TSOT Uncensored

Whereas South Park AU's are:

213671 - South Park: TSOT Base
213681 - South Park: TSOT Restricted Australia
213683 - South Park: TSOT English Censored

Clearly you want to stay away from South Park AU.

Li Kao

I think I'm going banana on the sheer quantity of good trade deals. It's like a steam sale. 45&#8364; games for 15&#8364;, I mean... Just a little noob question. I don't know of any cases of it but I prefer asking before buying : ok, there is the region lock thing to be aware of, but has there ever been censored or cut russian version of games ?

Edit - A wild Jase appeared above, so I will sit up and read carefully now. Thank you in advance for the post.

I've reached one of those lulls where I have unplayed games but lack the desire to play them. I've been plowing through my backlog pretty hard since April, so I guess I finally just burnt myself out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think I'm going banana on the sheer quantity of good trade deals. It's like a steam sale. 45€ games for 15€, I mean... Just a little noob question. I don't know of any cases of it but I prefer asking before buying : ok, there is the region lock thing to be aware of, but has there ever been censored or cut russian version of games ?

Edit - A wild Jase appeared above, so I will sit up and read carefully now. Thank you in advance for the post.

Refresh it. ;) I just added a little bit to explain how you can gain some insight into whether or not a difference in depots is a bad thing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
8 bit commando has a store page now, bundle keys should be soon hopefully. its been in at least 2

Haha, good luck with that. The Full Boar foil I earned mere hours after the game released has still yet to sell. :(

Yeah screw the foil market for small indie games

MfsJFWA.png

Since MAYBE one person buys one of these foils in a week, it's a race to the bottom to be the lowest offer at all times. You just can't win there.

Li Kao

Subs and packages are the same thing. As far as determining region-lock measures are concerned, the big ones you want to watch out for are:

- (Subs) The AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting flag: this region-locks gift copies from Brazilian (due to cheaper BRL prices), Eastern European (due to cheaper RUB prices) and South-East Asian (due to the incoming cheaper THB prices) at the activation level
- (Subs) The allowonlyrunincountries and prohibitrunincountries flags: the former restricts the ability to run the game to users in the nominated countries while the latter, as the name implies, disallows users in the nominated countries from running the game
- (Subs) The AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries flag: if set to "no", users in the nominated countries will be prevented from redeeming keys (not gift copies, just keys); if set to "yes", users in the countries not listed will be prevented from redeeming keys

You can get around all three of the above with a VPN, but I'd recommend against doing so for the first two. On the rarer end of the scale there's also:

- (Subs) Region-specific subs that have different depots (e.g. South Park ROW versus South Park AU) as this may mean that the game is censored or language-locked, and
- (Apps) Region-specific apps, for the same reasons as above (e.g. Wolfenstein ROW and Wolfenstein DE)

Ok I will try with a specific game, as I still don't know what all this means. Well, I understand on principles, but in practice I think it will be better with an example.
So I saw Age of Wonders 3 Deluxe was 10 keys. 16&#8364; for a 45&#8364; game, I like.

1/ Go to steamdb - I can do that ^_^
2/ Look for the sub - Problem here, there are a ton of packages and if I can understand that specific forms of a game have specific subs (prepurchase, deluxe, etc.), why does the game have multiple RU packages for the normal version ? How do I choose which package I must check ?

18383 Age of Wonders III - CD Key Only CD Key
35148 Age of Wonders III Store or CD Key
35167 Steam Sub 35167 CD Key
35168 Age of Wonders III For Beta Testing CD Key
37414 Age of Wonders III Deluxe Edition Store or CD Key
37424 Age of Wonders III Prepurchase Store or CD Key
37425 Age of Wonders III Deluxe Edition Prepurchase Store or CD Key
38809 Age of Wonders III Prepurchase (RU/CIS/EU) Store or CD Key
38810 Age of Wonders III Prepurchase (PL) Store or CD Key
38813 Age of Wonders III Deluxe Edition Prepurchase (RU/CIS/EU) Store or CD Key
38814 Age of Wonders III Deluxe Edition Prepurchase (PL) Store or CD Key
38815 Age of Wonders III Deluxe Edition Prepurchase (ROW) Store or CD Key
39113 Age of Wonders III HU Store or CD Key
39114 Age of Wonders III Deluxe Edition HU Store or CD Key
39118 Age of Wonders III RU/CIS/EU Store or CD Key
39119 Age of Wonders III PL Store or CD Key
39120 Age of Wonders III HU CD Key
44842 Age of Wonders III Prepurchase (RU/CIS) Store or CD Key
44843 Age of Wonders III Deluxe Edition (RU/CIS) Store or CD Key
44844 Age of Wonders III RU/CIS Store or CD Key

3/ Ok, so let's try the Deluxe edition. Let's go with "44843 Age of Wonders III Deluxe Edition (RU/CIS) Store or CD Key"

The steamdb page shows this :
AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting No
AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries Yes
PurchaseRestrictedCountries expand AM AZ BY GE KZ KG MD RU TJ TM UZ UA ID MY PH SG TH TR MX

This means I won't be able to activate the game without VPN shenanigans ?

I hope I'm not annoying or derailing the topic. At first glance I would say there are surely other Gaffers in my case and that could be a useful discussion. But on the other hand it must have been discussed a hundred times already in the past.

EDIT - This post was written before seeing Jase's edit, maybe it's redundant now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom