• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever bought FF game?
They don't drop prices like forever, sometimes literally forever, unless platinum is released or something.
For example Lightning Returns is still full priced, even if it's bombed hard (I think)

Only western SE games are discounted fast, Japanese ones are not.
I'm talking about western pc games.

Knurek

Have you ever bought FF game?
They don't drop prices like forever, sometimes literally forever, unless platinum is released or something.
Only western SE games are discounted fast, Japanese ones are not.

Yeah, still waiting for 75% off of FF7/FF8, and those are 15+ year old (crappy) ports.

Arthea

Yeah, still waiting for 75% off of FF7/FF8, and those are 15+ year old (crappy) ports.

you expect too much from SE, I bought all my FFs and most of SE RPGs, full price, it never even occurred for me to wait for price drop, not viable option at all (><)

With uPlay? That's like playing russian roulette

there is problem with this logic, I waited till they fixed problems with HoMM 6... and I still haven't played it. It took too long, I didn't want to play it that much after such a long wait, probably I got used to idea that I won't play it. So opposite is sorta russian roulette too.
Every day one purchase is, Uplay or not, too

Knurek

you expect too much from SE, I bought all my FFs and most of SE RPGs, full price, it never even occurred for me to wait for price drop, not viable option at all (><)

Well, they have been 66% off already. Still waiting for that golden 3/4ths.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll see if I can get a way to spring up a little cash (after gift buying for my RPG Maker giveaway, I only have $24 for game purchases this month, see if I can stir up another $6 for Murdered Soul), as if I can leave it and leave more detailed impressions, I would love too. The tricky thing about my current impressions is I am only judging a part and this seems like a game where the whole really matters. But I guess its a good thing I'm very curious about it.

SOMETHING I SHOULD MENTION, I have not played LA Noire but some have made some comparisons to it. Not sure if they've played the game or not, but I know that game gets mixed perception and I can't speak on that as I haven't played it. The game it reminded me of the most was Heavy Rain with other gameplay elements, like stealth and puzzle solving mainly from the bit I played.

Milamber

I played through LA Noire on PS3 and the game was very good, to me. I enjoyed the investigation/Interrogation aspects of it. But if Murdered is going to be like it then I can sadly say that it will be very hard to play through this game a second time. Can't even finish my PC version. Replayability issues abound.

I haven't played it yet, but I plan to.

Although, that's not kind of relaxing I had in mind.
Some collectibles in HotK were so small that I couldn't see them at all, so sitting there and staring into screen for hours, clicking every pixel on screen until I got them all, was my joke about this game being relaxing. Other than that, it is relaxing. (><)

Ahhh, your joke went over my head because I never played Hero of the Kingdom

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I played through LA Noire on PS3 and the game was very good, to me. I enjoyed the investigation/Interrogation aspects of it. But if Murdered is going to be like it then I can sadly say that it will be very hard to play through this game a second time. Can't even finish my PC version.

Murdered is more action and less interrogation oriented and lasts one quarter the length.

I'll see if I can get a way to spring up a little cash (after gift buying for my RPG Maker giveaway, I only have $24 for game purchases this month, see if I can stir up another $6 for Murdered Soul), as if I can leave it and leave more detailed impressions, I would love too. The tricky thing about my current impressions is I am only judging a part and this seems like a game where the whole really matters. But I guess its a good thing I'm very curious about it.

SOMETHING I SHOULD MENTION, I have not played LA Noire but some have made some comparisons to it. Not sure if they've played the game or not, but I know that game gets mixed perception and I can't speak on that as I haven't played it. The game it reminded me of the most was Heavy Rain with other gameplay elements, like stealth and puzzle solving mainly from the bit I played.

Nothing in LA Noire was like Heavy Rain so I take it they mean it has an interesting setting and world but does nothing with it?

Murdered is firmly on the way to bomba. The previews were weak, there's absolutely no push from Square Enix and Element posted in another thread that the entire team had been laid off. Unless you get a cracking good deal or you're desperate to play it on day one, I'd wait for a sale.

That said, I'm still trying to decide whether to get it (retail copies in my country are cheapo) or get Tomodachi Life instead.

Soul Suspect is cheap if you buy an amd voucher, got a silver voucher earlier for &#8364;17 worth of keys

Game looks good to me very interested in playing it

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ahhh what the hell. I think I'll buy it. Like, I know it'll get cheaper, it's one of those games that's definitely doomed to die basically, but I can be an early adapter, support the devs, and leave some impressions more fully here tomorrow with some collected thoughts.

Grief.exe

Making a call now, Murdered: Soul Suspect is going to be a polarizing game. I played a bit at a friend's house, my impressions from my time with it is that the people who will enjoy it the most are those who can enjoy 'minimalism gameplay' experience games... By this I mean things like Walking Dead or Heavy Rain. It's kind of a mix between those type of games, a spiritual puzzle game like Geist or Ghost Trick, and a horror game.

That sounds really cool actually. Looks like they took a risk as far as AAA development goes, hopefully it pays off.

Arthea

Murdered is firmly on the way to bomba. The previews were weak, there's absolutely no push from Square Enix and Element posted in another thread that the entire team had been laid off. Unless you get a cracking good deal or you're desperate to play it on day one, I'd wait for a sale.

This amazes me, I remember them making pretty big deal of announcement and now it looks like they forgot it exists, very suspicious.

Good buy.

But you realize you can't play that on your 3DS, right? ;)

ittoi5C0K75PB.gif

Hahaha, any game that interests me is doomed to fail.

Please, don't be interested in Trails. I want them continue on steam
pretty please and then some!

This amazes me, I remember them making pretty big deal of announcement and now it looks like they forgot it exists, very suspicious.

More likely they realized that it's not a very good game, won't review well and won't sell well so they're cutting their losses.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Honestly they sort of got a stay of execution; SE cancelled a bunch of externally published games in 2012-2013 and Murdered is one of the few that didn't get cancelled, even after the game got delayed from last fall to this summer. Given that Airtight doesn't appear to have signed another publisher after Dark Void, I'd say that it's been remarkably lucky they've been able to keep operating this long.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Honestly they sort of got a stay of execution; SE cancelled a bunch of externally published games in 2012-2013 and Murdered is one of the few that didn't get cancelled, even after the game got delayed from last fall to this summer. Given that Airtight doesn't appear to have signed another publisher after Dark Void, I'd say that it's been remarkably lucky they've been able to keep operating this long.

Airtight is dead as per element's posts in the hype thread. Most left in March with the rest following suit just last month.

Arthea

so why exactly the team got laid off? do we know?

edited: a game isn't even released still, it might bomb and it might be big success still.
It's like story with Chrono Cross or the Last Remnant all over again, if it's not instant hit, SE lose all interest, unless it's FF. This attitude seems little unreasonable to me.

JaseC

so why exactly the team got laid off? do we know?

I'd guess that:

1) Squeenix servered ties
2) There was no luck in finding a third partner, and
3) Airtight's earlier mobile game didn't do well, so no doubling down on mobile in hope of staying afloat

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Airtight is dead as per element's posts in the hype thread. Most left in March with the rest following suit just last month.

Yeah but what I'm saying is that it's amazing they weren't dead earlier than this, so in a sense the layoffs must have been sort of bittersweet in that holding out as long as they did was very lucky for the industry.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
edited: a game isn't even released still, it might bomb and it might be big success still.

That's not how games work at this scale. When you pump tens of millions of dollars into a game, you also pump millions and millions of dollars into marketing. You can roughly predict the outcome of word of mouth through proxy reviews (I expect the game to be considered decent but not world-defying) and based on the outcome of similar products. Games that don't have similar products don't do well as a rule, because the majority of your audience doesn't take chances.

I mean, would you bet $30 million on "Wow, cool premise, looks neat", or would you try to get it down to a science that you could get a return on investment? Doesn't mean that publishers don't make wrong bets--I bet Murdered won't make its budget back--but it does mean that every step of the way there are forms of analysis they use to see how things are coming along, project the future, and ramp down or up investment based on the most likely future.

It's like story with Chrono Cross or the Last Remnant all over again, if it's not instant hit, SE lose all interest, unless it's FF. This attitude seems little unreasonable to me.

But your attitude comes off as "If it's a good game, it should be a success", which is fine for you as a fan, but it's not fine for the business side of things. Like people complaining their favourite TV show got cancelled and if only the network had been willing to spend millions of dollars, give the show the best time slot, renew it for a few years while losing money... maybe it'd grow into the most popular show in the world. That's not really how things work.

Games are even more marquee-heavy (as in, they get all their sales upfront, rather than from older, catalogue titles) than any other form of entertainment too. And it's not just publishers that make it this way, it's also retailers, for whom churn is an important thing and rotten stock is the worst possible outcome. This is in part because of the incredibly low margins and poor price protection provisions protecting retailers with new release games. Something that launches poorly does poorly. There are probably only a handful of cases of retail games ending up being quiet successes, and most were first-party games that benefitted from being offered as sacrificial lambs to the bundle process (LBP for example had a slow ramp up). The games that do tend to have longer sales curves either have successful multiplayer (nope), are long and replayable (nope, nope), attract a wider audience demographic like women and older-than-average gamers (nope).

JaseC

Yeah but what I'm saying is that it's amazing they weren't dead earlier than this, so in a sense the layoffs must have been sort of bittersweet in that holding out as long as they did was very lucky for the industry.

Ah, right. I inferred from your use of the present tense that you were under the impression that the studio still existed in a form more tangible than a piece of paper, haha.

Knurek

Yup, there is a reason most AAA games are 'lowest-common-denominator" and why most Ubi titles 'look' the same : they sell big.

Ubi seems to be the only AAA company out there that's willing to take risks.
Case in point: Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, Blood Dragon, CoJ: Gunslinger, ZombiU

Arthea

you make good points. Maybe I'm just oldfashioned or something, but I always thought that you can build fanbase in time if a game is good, even after lacklustre start, if it sold not bad, if it had legs and following. There was no reason in my eyes for SE to ditch Chrono franchise, for example. Even if Chrono Cross wasn't as successful as SE hoped, it still had heaps of fans, I met them everywhere.
Same goes with my another example, for a game that was buried by critics right at the start it sold reasonably good. Why abandon it? Not like they don't have resources or teams for those games, and they can make the next game better too.
Then again, I understand that games industry moved into film industry path some time ago, and all my ramblings can't change that. (._.)
Other point to consider, that even film industry has share of middle class movies, a lot of them of all kinds, mildly successful or not, while gaming industry is bent on not having any, at all, at any cost.

Turfster

Indie Gala Monday 9 bundle
Price: 1$
  • 8bitboy
  • Subject 9
  • The Desolate Hope
  • Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode 1 - Gold
  • Zack Zero
  • The Race For The White House (GL)

Edit: God damn it.

Same goes with my another example, for a game that was buried by critics right at the start it sold reasonably good. Why abandon it?

Because opportunity costs.

For a company like SE doing anything is an extremely expensive exercise. So they need to choose carefully and they do so (if not necessarily successfully).

Case in point: Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, Blood Dragon, CoJ: Gunslinger, ZombiU

Hard to disagree. I'm sure most of that has to do with the Ass franchise printing money. Most companies can't afford the loss if a risk turns into a bomba. I'm all for new stuff, which is why when a risk turns to a bomba, we all lose.

Uzzy

If only they didn't tie those interesting games to the Uplay garbage.

Hard to disagree. I'm sure most of that has to do with the Ass franchise printing money. Most companies can't afford the loss if a risk turns into a bomba. I'm all for new stuff, which is why when a risk turns to a bomba, we all lose.

Now I don't feel so bad about buying ass creed games I only play for an hour. At least they may be supporting the games that take a bit more risk

Edit: though I played a ton of AC4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom