• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

denx

Despite most often than not disagreeing with Derrick, I actually liked to read his opinions.

Was his ban temp or perma?

Where desperate dudes kick a ball around despite Germany already having won. It's quite sad to watch.

You will be crying bitter tears at the semis or final like you always do.

Grief.exe

ZO1EbFC.jpg

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Nosgoth #3 -- MB-A98A3C264DB07727 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 1 entrants total.
Nosgoth #2 -- MB-BC0A6DD924181D75 - Taken by Sarcasm. 3 entrants total.
Nosgoth -- MB-088784500005FEF5 - Taken by Rayge. 2 entrants total.

t1402967027z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cant wait for the price mistakes during the sale, those are always fun

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
99% of Derrick's posts just bummed me out, and thats all Ill say on the subject

Despite most often than not disagreeing with Derrick, I actually liked to read his opinions.

I didn't always agree with his posts, but I appreciated him actually thinking through and expressing his opinions. Rather than the "this sucked" or "this was awesome" posts that tend to show up all the time. Those kinda piss me off (read: eventually anger me to the point where I stop browsing gaf for the rest of the day).

Oh great Garden Warfare isn't available in my region on GMG >=/

I don't understand why anyone would be interested in this game... :\

Your loss, girl. :)

You will be crying bitter tears at the semis or final like you always do.

See if you can add him on Steam -- he'll still post opinions on his Steam wall from time to time. :p

I didn't always agree with his posts, but I appreciated him actually thinking through and expressing his opinions. Rather than the "this sucked" or "this was awesome" posts that tend to show up all the time. Those kinda piss me off (read: eventually anger me to the point where I stop browsing gaf for the rest of the day).

Yeah, Derrick was awesome, fuck the haters and their biddy opinions"

Sounds reasonable.

I showed JasonFrost the power of the BadRats and he soon became the world champion of this gorgeous Game.
We need more people to compete for the baddest score!

Btw. any more bad Games on Steam now? It seems a lot of bad Games have been released since the last Summer Sale, so I hope for the Plane Simulator Game to get discounted, but somehow I wouldnt wanna give the dev money for this pos.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
While we're on the subject of CS:GO, something that's been kind of on my mind lately was how they incorporated their F2P scheme into it a little under a year ago now. I'm fine with it as it's made me a profit in Steam funny money so it's worked in my favour, but I was always under the impression that it wasn't something that they always had in mind for the game but then added it after the fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogcBfHjzsIU

It wasn't until I saw that video of pre-release footage from 2011 that my suspicions were raised. At 6:26 you can see a player on the Terrorist side bring out their knife, and shortly after you can see the Counter-Terrorist's knife in their view.

These differ pretty radically from the default knives of the released game.

Knives are the high-ticket items in CS:GO's fashion game, akin to the unusuals of TF2 or the... rare couriers of Dota 2? I don't know anything about Dota. Anyways, knives are some of the big bucks items you can get from their gambling system and here are a couple of the ones you can find:

Pretty familiar huh? Now I don't know if the images get it across properly, but the default knives are just extremely dinky looking. The Terrorist one especially looks like it's a cheap plastic prop that couldn't so much as cut a loaf of bread. I can't help but feel that this was their idea all along and that they changed the standard ones to look as chintzy as possible to prey on people's desire for something, well, cooler.

Which would be fine I guess if CS:GO was a F2P game, but it's still a paid product. One that they coincidentally tend to put on sale after waves of VAC bans. So you have these items going for more than 4 times the base price of the game itself on the market, and the game itself doesn't have a standard item store like TF2 or Dota, you can only directly buy keys to gamble with cases and name tags.

They're just cosmetics so in the end it doesn't really matter a whole bunch and can be completely ignored, but I can't help but feel rubbed the wrong way just a bit.

Are you accusing them of replacing the alpha knives with different knives so they'd make more money through introducing cosmetic knives? Because, if so, I disagree. Here's my take on what happened.

During development, Valve made a design decision and decided to replace the flip and bayonet with the current knives. Then, when introducing the cosmetic system, they decided to add knives to the mix. Why not save time and reuse their old knife assets? So, in addition to the karambit, gut, and M9, they were able to add two more knives to the update without having to expend any additional resources.

If I may be frank, I think you're letting your personal dislike of the default knives color your perception as to what happened during the development of CS:GO's cosmetics.

What I want to know is why the default knives (and the Zeus) have no cosmetic skins, because the CT default knife would look pretty great with a few of the skins out there.

Lomax

Didn't someone from the Divinity:OS team say there was something else big scheduled for two days before the sale? Seems like that TF2 countdown would corroborate that.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

denx

I don't understand why anyone would be interested in this game... :\

I'm interested. It looks like fun.
It helps also that the game is just 20 dollars on the Origin mexican store.

See if you can add him on Steam -- he'll still post opinions on his Steam wall from time to time. :p

Link to his Steam profile pls.

MORE HATS

For the love of dog, please be a bunch of new weapons.

I'd rather have new Special Delivery maps. Doomsday is awesome, but it's the only thing we've got in that gamemode for two years. :/

Momentary

Banned
19 bucks for Rise of the Dark Spark is damn tempting. But I feel like there's a good chance that it will suck. It just doesn't look as polished as the previous 2 games from what I've seen so far.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It's something to do with bread since dispensers on rare occasions spawn different breads since a few days back, yet right now you can't do anything with the bread, it just lies there... but that doesn't really make any sense at the moment anyway.

TF2 X Jojo's Bizarre Adventure collaboration. How many breads have you eaten in your life?

Pakkidis

got my second foil drop from system shock 2. Sells for 2 bucks. I will use that to buy more cards :)

I've also discovered that I have no patience for older games any more :( It has nothing to do with the graphics and everything to do with design. Some of these games either have bad UI, bad camera, or clunky controls. It's a shame because I know in the old days I would have sat through it and beat these games.

Are you accusing them of replacing the alpha knives with different knives so they'd make more money through introducing cosmetic knives? Because, if so, I disagree. Here's my take on what happened.

During development, Valve made a design decision and decided to replace the flip and bayonet with the current knives. Then, when introducing the cosmetic system, they decided to add knives to the mix. Why not save time and reuse their old knife assets? So, in addition to the karambit, gut, and M9, they were able to add two more knives to the update without having to expend any additional resources.

If I may be frank, I think you're letting your personal dislike of the default knives color your perception as to what happened during the development of CS:GO's cosmetics.

What I want to know is why the default knives have no cosmetic skins, because the CT default knife would look pretty great with a few of the skins out there.
Haha, you might be right about my dislike of the defaults colouring perception. Let me ask you, do you think they look up to par with the others? I have a hard time believing anyone would prefer the default T knife to anything else, it just looks so intentionally unappealing to make the desire for the alternatives stronger. Even comparing to CS 1.6 and CS:S, the default knives of GO just have a sort of underdeveloped look to them.

They changed it for a reason, but I guess what brings me back to my suspicions is that they're fine with changing it back so long as you're willing to spend the money. I guess they're a special case, but it seems you should at least be willing to freely switch between vanilla knife variants. This isn't a F2P game afterall, even if they implemented their same F2P hooks.

Adnor

Banned
The ultimate sneaking suit in Blacklist is amazing, you can almost run to the enemies and CQC them, they'll notice you too late to react. Does the color of the suit changes something, or it's just cosmetic?

Authority

Banned
After reading the Digital Foundry article, it becomes extremely obvious that GTAV was planned for PC/current-gen from the start.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-grand-theft-auto-5-trailer-ps4-tech-analysis

Found this leaked information. Expect greatness.

#else
float3 upperColor = tex3Dlod(BigProbeVolumeTextureUpperColor3D,finalUVW4).xyz;
#endif
#else
// This is PC only, we care.
float3 upperColor = DefaultProbeUpperColor;
#endif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom