• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogMeat77

Try it on Rapelay Mirror's Edge!

Sweet, I'm really looking forward to try injectors with some of my favorite games when I get my DK2. I hope Mirrors Edge works. The hype is real.

Also I hope Dishonored will be on Steam Summer Sale.

Mirror's Edge is the main reason I bought VorpX. While it does work, and works pretty well but here is the downfall. Whenever games take the head control away from you (in ME case, this is rolling, climbing, vaulting, etc) it makes you feel sick.

Doom 3 BFG has a great VR Mod but the CGI scenes make you feel horrible as they jump the camera angles around the room.

This is now one of the "VR Standards" that devs are respecting for native rift support. It is a nice that the injectors at least work pretty well - despite a few VR design flaws like head movement being taken away during scripted actions.

fantomena

Lol, wat. Planetary Annihilation costs the same on the RU store with normal price (25$) as the Humble store with 50% off. Lol. Gonna wait for a Steam sale.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Awesome giveaway. I'll let someone else who has a bit more time enter for RoN.

Hats off to Microsoft for these releases though.

Can't say that I was very impressed with the quality of the re-releases. But the effort of bringing them back is commendable

redlacs

Desura n00b question. Do any of these games give steam keys when activated in Desura? I'm interested in some games from the list but I'm a steam purist

very few do. from the top of my head: Last Knight and Oknytt did

also, thank you JaseC for Tiny bang story!

Tizoc

2 of the best RTS games of all time, scavenged from the corpse of Ensemble Studios (R.I.P). Enjoy! (I'm a nice guy so you can enter for both)

I raise a toast to you sir.
6C7911377-tdy-130617-leo-toasts-1.jpg

Lain

2 of the best RTS games of all time, scavenged from the corpse of Ensemble Studios (R.I.P). Enjoy! (I'm a nice guy so you can enter for both)

Not entering but nice giveaway. I have to admit that the only RTS I ever played was Dune II: Battle for Arrakis.

neoemonk

On second thought I'm after Walking Dead Season Two this sale. I haven't played it at all yet but I enjoyed Season One and 400 Days.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
On second thought I'm after Walking Dead Season Two this sale. I haven't played it at all yet but I enjoyed Season One and 400 Days.

Good choice. I've really enjoyed Season 2 so far - so much so that I'm on the lookout for The Wolf Among Us this sale.

Sub Zero

How bad are we talking here?

Didn't spent much time with RoN, but Age of Mythology suffered from very frequent lag and stuttering.

Also for the price tag all these games are offered in, I'd expect a little more work to be done for the visuals. They updated the terrain textures, water, shadows etc but all the units and buildings still look the same as they did in 2003, making the games feel a bit uneven graphically

How bad are we talking here?

I can't speak for RoN, but AoE:EE's multiplayer and improved visuals--probably the two major features advertised--seem pretty bad. More info here.

The single player is about as good as I remember it, but I'm not overly impressed overall.

E: What SubZero said. $30 for steamworks is basically what you get. I swear some of the textures (like fish) are somehow worse than the original.

The_Monk

Good choice. I've really enjoyed Season 2 so far - so much so that I'm on the lookout for The Wolf Among Us this sale.

I'm liking the Season 2 of TWD much more than the Wolf Among Us. I loved TWAU first episode but after that it was a hit or miss. The last one was really "empty" when it comes to action, however I can't wait for the next episode for The Walking Dead S2.

Either way they have great characters and the intro music is simply perfect in capturing the mood of the game. :)

Prepare to Buy

My body is ready (and wallet) :)

first time always hurts
your wallet

Haha I'm prepared. The rumoured date is the 19th (2 days) right? That's the day before pay day, too! Oh sh...

Always read the rules before buying games during the sale, else it will hurt a lot
(your wallet that is)

What rules would those be, sir? I am a n00b you see.

Welcome to STEAM-GAF. :)

The first time during these sales are always the best since there's a lot of great titles for great prices. Hope you find something that will fit your taste. I'm sure you will. If there's anything we can do to help during these times feel free to let us know, there's plenty of helpful people in here to help!

Hey man, thanks for the offer. I am sure I'll be posting away and questioning certain games.

I was tempted by the Gamers Gate and GMG sales recently, but a friend said to hang on for Steam's own sales, since those prices are even better!

Your best sales will always be the first two. As you collect your favorite games on a platform with infinite BC and allows you to scale with future hardware upgrades.

Yeah that's exactly why I can't wait for this one, particularly to see how much I can grab Skyrim and Fallout 3 + all DLCs for.

That and the Civ V expansions, since I got the vanilla game the other day for £5 on Gamers Gate. I always loved Civ but never got around to this one because I hated the changes (one unit per tile), etc. So I thought I'd best not get the expansions as well in case I hate the vanilla.

Turns out the one unit per tile was the best change ever IMO. I'm absolutely loving this Civ more than ever, and find it so much more tactical now you can't dump a stack of 20+ units on one tile.

Wow... went off on a tangent then.

Good luck.

Some tips:
- Everything is on sale for most of the sale, but some things are featured in daily deals at steeper discounts than the normal sale. If there's something you have your eye on and it's, say, 50% off... you might want to consider waiting to see if it's featured in a daily deal or other deeper sales. A lot of people buy a great game for $15 and then get mad when it's $7.50 two days later. Don't be that person. When the last day comes around, anything that hasn't been a daily deal is fair game.
- Every day when the daily deals switch over it takes a few minutes. So if something is a daily deal with 25% off, resist the urge to spam "what a bad deal lol this sux". It'll be fixed in a few minutes. But do pay attention, because this is the most likely time for pricing mistakes. If a game seems to be, say, 95% off... especially if it's a brand new game that really shouldn't be 95% off. Pricing mistakes generally only last a few minutes, so you want to get in on the ground floor if you can.
- This is your first sale, but it won't be your last sale. If something is 75% off $40, that's a great deal. But if you're not planning on playing it until the next big sale... well in that sale, the base price might be down to $30 and it'll probably be 75% off. In general most retail games keep dropping until their base price is $24.99 or $19.99, so if you're just buying something because of the discount and not because you're playing, there's not really much reason to jump in at $10-15 instead of $5-7.50. If there's something you want to play right now and the sale is good, buy it, but if you're playing the long game focus on the stuff that probably won't be any cheaper next sale.
- If you install Enhanced Steam, you'll be able to check a game's price history. If something is on sale but the price history says it's been lower in the last year or 18 months, chances are it'll be lower again in the future. If you want to buy it, by all means, buy it. But if you're just pumped because it's on sale, well, maybe hold out.
- If you add stuff you're interested in to your wishlist now, it'll be easier to keep track of later.
- Expect the Steam servers to crash at some point during the sale.

Personally I try to spend $50-100. I try to get a few indies that are on for pretty cheap, whatever price errors I can get my hands on, and normally a few retail games that have finally hit rock-bottom prices.

Hey thanks for all the helpful tips. Enhanced Steam sounds good. Where can I get that?

And I was planning on spending about £150, which is $254.. but I guess that's too much then lol

Benedict

Where can I find the save-files for Mafia II in Steam?
Something wrong so I need to reinstall the game, don't want to lose my save.

Benedict

Some games.
Chester and Alcarys Complex are on Desura, rest are on Steam.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Miasmata -- MB-A0C8B417853D2B8A - Taken by Cydonian__Knight. 17 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Chester DESURA -- MB-296365BDEC89496E
Spate -- MB-A12F2AEFF3B2D81F - Taken by Halo 2. 4 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Alcarys Complex DESURA -- MB-37D5BA85A7A46E4D
AntiSquad -- MB-0C9A32432B1DECAA - Taken by phantomspiker. 4 entrants total.
Nekro -- MB-F53FC3DC1F060E61 - Taken by _hekk05. 9 entrants total.

t1403029771z1.png

AkuMifune

Banned
No need to worry. It's a "AAA" game so it'll definitely pop up on the front page at least once.

I have all the AAA games I want, and am waiting for B-tier sales. :) Time to add some garbage games to my wishlist for drunk/spontaneous sale mistakes purchases.

Hoping for The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct and/or Star Trek for less than $5.

It's like being so desperate for companionship that I need to go down to the sketchy part of town trawling for crack whores.

Myshkin

did it work? cause it worked for me few days ago

steam said i owned all 4 but in game I didnt. then the new key actually redownloaded something, i assume the episode missing
Yes, that was it. Steam acknowledged the new key and is downloading the episode.
I got that episode in a giveaway from Terra_Ex and Terra_Ex fixed it for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/10460/

The Club seems to have come back to Steam.

Oh wow, there's hope for Stormrise yet. If it does come back I'm going to re-open my ticket with Sega's "Chris" and push for a key since the "If it's not on Steam then we can't do it" excuse will no longer fly (not that it was valid even at the time since the game was voluntarily pulled, but policy is policy).

People, do you know if Anno 1404 still has Tages DRM?

It's completely DRM-free.

Quantum

I've been avoiding buying some games prior to this sale and just adding them to my wishlist. I think I had 60+ games on my wishlist prior to the summer sale last year and did a decent amount of damage. I believe I had about 850 games at that time.

since that time my steam library has grown to over 1100 and now I have 100-110 items on my wishlist - There is no question I have a problem, and I'm a little afraid of this sale...

dani_dc

I completely forgot that Shovel Knight comes out on the 26th. My wallet can't take much more :/

Right in the middle of Steam sales.

Not a good date unless they're doing a day-1 sale and are featured as a daily (in which case I imagine those that pre-ordered from their site wouldn't be happy).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I hate how we show up in our own "friends recently bought" thing

Sub Zero

What kind of game is Nekro, it LOOKED interesting but I didn't bother to get it from the bundle.

The same applies to Dawn of Destiny.

Diablo-like RPG with some elements from the Overlord series. Very good game and it's a shame that it got devalued so fast

yoshizzle

Where can I find the save-files for Mafia II in Steam?
Something wrong so I need to reinstall the game, don't want to lose my save.

Show hidden files/folders and goto:
C:\Users\"your_username"\AppData\Local\2K Games\Mafia II

----------

If you're on Windows XP, the location is:
C:\Documents and Settings\"your_username"\Local Settings\Application Data\2K Games\Mafia II

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It is the impossible dream. Not even Don Quixote can conquer that dragon of licensing and legal.

I wonder if Vin's likeness is even an issue. I mean, sure, he's in the game, but it was developed by his own studio, so it's not out of the question that his role was just, for all intents and purposes, a regular acting gig. In other words, perhaps Wheelman was pulled simply because Ubi's publishing contract expired (the game itself was owned by Midway, but the company wasn't exactly in a position to return the game to Steam at the time) and WB just needs to be granted access to the app and its subs.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Diablo-like RPG with some elements from the Overlord series. Very good game and it's a shame that it got devalued so fast

well... its not really diablo style at all. its level based and each level is quite small, almost arena style (but not that small)

I did enjoy what I played quite a bit tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom