• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

They aren't saying that you need to give them the email address you use for Steam. They want you to give them address that actually exists and you have access to.

Yup, Jase appeared again and clarified that. Thanks to you two. Must have been too much time since I have dealt with steam gift.

r3n4ud

For the past couple of days, I have not been able to login on Steam website. The homepage loads fine, but when I click to login, Chrome says page is unavailable :/. Same with Firefox. Anyone else with this issue?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For the past couple of days, I have not been able to login on Steam website. The homepage loads fine, but when I click to login, Chrome says page is unavailable :/. Same with Firefox. Anyone else with this issue?

Are you using the Enhanced Steam Standalone? If so, you need to update it because they changed their IP address. If not... well I'm not sure what the issue is.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't know which Microsoft GFWL title I want more between Gears, Halo 2, and Viva Pinata.

everyone.gif

derExperte

Steam Beta update:

General
  • Fixed in-game overlay sometimes not activating on first hot-key press after game launch

• Awwwyiiisssss. That was annoying.

Sweet Mafia II is back on a daily. Bet 2K have been stingy though and DLC isn't on discount though.

*checks store*

Blimmey it is. I bet The Betrayal of Jimmy isn't on offer though, it can't be *checks Russian store*. It is! What a great turn of events.

Ok any Russian SteamGAF around at the moment?

But the DLC is only 50% off. :(

Steam installed on 64GB SSD. Games installed on 1TB HD. Yeah, it's a giant pain in the ass to squeeze some space if I have to preload a game.

Whynot move your steam installation to the 1TB HDD?
I have a 120GB SSD for my OS and then a 3TB "games/media" drive which is really just a Steam drive. Steam/Origin are installed there and that's where all the games go. :S

I don't know which Microsoft GFWL title I want more between Gears, Halo 2, and Viva Pinata.

Gears, easily.
I don't care for Halo (I like most other FPS games more) and Viva Pinata isn't really my type of game. However, Gears might be one of my favorite TPS games ever... so there's no doubt about what I'd want... it also has ridiculously awesome multiplayer and co-op too.

Viva Pinata easily, there's hundreds of games like Gears or Halo, but not many games like Viva Pinata.

Incorrect! ^_^

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jshackles:
Looks fine, but personally I'd prefer to combine those notification tags as much as possible. Like, take GTA4. It has three banners right now. This will add a fourth. There's gotta be a way to avoid that.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Hmm, just got an email from BundleStars about a Paradox sale this week. The Cities in Motion and Europa Universalis III bundles look interesting, too. I hope Warband gets a decent sale.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'd go with orange to differentiate from DRM.

how does that look when it's like a TAGES game or something? like two big ass red bars? or do they share the red bar?

Yeah, might be too much red.

I guess the color needs to be less "warning" and more "informational". I'll see what I can do.

jshackles:
Looks fine, but personally I'd prefer to combine those notification tags as much as possible. Like, take GTA4. It has three banners right now. This will add a fourth. There's gotta be a way to avoid that.

Yeah, maybe I should just have one banner that says like "Warning: this title uses 3rd party DRM (Games of Windows Live, SecuROM, and Rockstar Social Club)"

Copons

Working on this. Thoughts?

Very personal opionion: isn't it a little to big - or, better put, isn't it too similar to the DRM one?
I don't use Family Sharing, and by now I'm used to know if a game has a DRM just by glimpsing on its page, without really reading the banner. :D

Also, I kinda fear it would become a little bloated, pushing too much toward/beyond the fold the actual game content.
(and also, the "bloated" thing, is something I've noticed in little games boxes, were sometimes the labels "friends have / friends want / friends reviewed" push the actual price outside the box, where is overflow: hidden)

EDIT

I guess the color needs to be less "warning" and more "informational". I'll see what I can do.

Yeah, maybe I should just have one banner that says like "Warning: this title uses 3rd party DRM (Games of Windows Live, SecuROM, and Rockstar Social Club)"

Yup: this and this. :)

Also, you could reduce the size of informational banners, because one thing is the huge, much appreciated, warning for TAGES, and another, very different thing are useful info.

Santiako

Yeah, might be too much red.

If you combine the warning banners into one, that'd be perfect.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks, JaseC sensei.

Nice avatar change.

I noticed OldAsUrSock returned to his moustached variant so I broke my rule. ;)

But the DLC is only 50% off. :(

Yeah, I thought about waiting for another sale, but the DLC has been 75% off just twice over the past two years, plus the game is four years old in August and there's no saying how long the agreement with Playboy is for.

Tellaerin

No one leaves this game planet alive.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Planet Alcatraz -- MB-BD9E1ADD8B3113B6 - Taken by Sub Zero. 7 entrants total.

t1401734148z1.png
(This was added to the Groupees Clash of the World: Russia bundle. I really do like the way Groupees adds stuff over the life of each bundle. Gives me a reason to check back in periodically and see what's been added/unlocked.)

I noticed OldAsUrSock returned to his moustached variant so I broke my rule. ;)

Glad you did, man. Out of all your Saoirses (Saoirseses?), that one's probably my favorite, just for her expression.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Duke Nukem Manhattan Project -- MB-71A7DF1D4A1DAEFA - Taken by phantomspiker
Abyss The Wraiths of Eden -- MB-BA8B9C6373303201 - Taken by derExperte
C-RUSH -- MB-B5CAC859DF36FC9D - Taken by Evrain
Strategic War in Europe -- MB-BD7326E1595F26D1 - Taken by Kyougar
The Cat Lady -- MB-B5331FF582873077 - Taken by Zeeman

Tenrius

(This was added to the Groupees Clash of the World: Russia bundle. I really do like the way Groupees adds stuff over the life of each bundle. Gives me a reason to check back in periodically and see what's been added/unlocked.)

Glad you did, man. Out of all your Saoirses (Saoirseses?), that one's probably my favorite, just for her expression.

A bit of useless trivia on Russian game development: this game, Planet Alcatraz, was based on a scenario written by a guy famous for his parody movie translations (he basically replaced the whole dialogue of various movies, LotR being the most prominent example, and did his own voice acting, all by himself). They were kind of popular back in 2000-2005, although I personally thought they were awful. So it was something of a big deal when it was announced that the was working on a video game, although it was stuck in development hell for a while. The scenario itself was based on a Quake fanfic he had written and somehow published, in 1999. The game itself came out in 2006 and I think it was announced shortly after the book (I remember reading about it in 2001, for example). Unfortunately, the game itself is not very good from what I hear, but does have some curiosity value in it.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Thanks a lot!

Tizoc

AMD just updated with my Murdered SOul Suspect code but can't download the gaem til the 3rd haha.

Gonna finish up Wolfenstein then mess a little with DmC 2013 then go to bed.

Tellaerin

A bit of useless trivia on Russian game development: this game, Planet Alcatraz, was based on a scenario written by a guy famous for his parody movie translations (he basically replaced the whole dialogue of various movies, LotR being the most prominent example, and did his own voice acting, all by himself). They were kind of popular back in 2000-2005, although I personally thought they were awful. So it was something of a big deal when it was announced that the was working on a video game, although it was stuck in development hell for a while. The scenario itself was based on a Quake fanfic he had written and somehow published, in 1999. The game itself came out in 2006 and I think it was announced shortly after the book (I remember reading about it in 2001, for example). Unfortunately, the game itself is not very good from what I hear, but does have some curiosity value in it.

Just the idea of playing a game based on a published Quake fanfic is enough to make me want to play it. From your description, it sounds like it has the potential to be awesomely terribad, rather than just plain bad.

I love development trivia like this, by the way. Makes me wonder about what else has gone on behind the scenes of other games that us primarily english-speaking folks have never heard about.

Thanks a lot!

Sure thing! If you get around to messing with it before I do, post up some impressions - I'm curious now as to what it's actually like.

nexen

Oh, in case anyone was wondering, Hammerwatch is awesome.

It is the Gauntlet I always wanted, but never found. So much fun.

StAidan

Oh, in case anyone was wondering, Hammerwatch is awesome.

It is the Gauntlet I always wanted, but never found. So much fun.

Yup. I logged 20 hours on it over my Christmas vacation, and still want to go back to it at some point. I hear they've patched in another class and are still planning a whole new campaign.

Knurek

I love development trivia like this, by the way. Makes me wonder about what else has gone on behind the scenes of other games that us primarily english-speaking folks have never heard about.

Do you know that Marcin Iwiński, co-founder of CD Projekt started out his career as game distributor as a minor peddler of pirated games on one of the largest street markets in Poland (if not Eastern Europe)?

work1.jpg

The sign says 'Selling of illegal software is prohibited', everyone was still doing that well into 2000's, barring some infrequent police raids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom