• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruruja

Do you know that Marcin Iwiński, co-founder of CD Projekt started out his career as game distributor as a minor peddler of pirated games on one of the largest street markets in Poland (if not Eastern Europe)?

work1.jpg

The sign says 'Selling of illegal software is prohibited', everyone was still doing that well into 2000's, barring some infrequent police raids.

That's a fun fact. Explains their stance on DRM.

I'm strangely addicted to buying all the cute combos of hats and jackets in Watch Dogs, I'm stealing from peoples bank accounts to fuel my habit. I'm seriously loving this game so far though.

Tellaerin

Do you know that Marcin Iwiński, co-founder of CD Projekt started out his career as game distributor as a minor peddler of pirated games on one of the largest street markets in Poland (if not Eastern Europe)?

The sign says 'Selling of illegal software is prohibited', everyone was still doing that well into 2000's, barring some infrequent police raids.

That's a fun fact. Explains their stance on DRM.

Yeah, it does. He'd know from experience that most DRM doesn't do much to deter piracy, and just makes life miserable for legitimate buyers. Maybe more game publishers ought to start out as pirates. >.>

Most of their features are already in Enhanced Steam, but not all of them.

Yeah, I tried viewing a store page with the userscript disabled and the feature I'm missing is the link to the SteamDB sub page for that game.

There's a button to the right (couldn't see any other SteamDB buttons), but it brings you to the app page in SteamDB, which doesn't show the same info as the sub page for that game in that region.
A great feature you might want to think about adding, one script less to use then :)

work1.jpg

Fiat Uno and 126. Poland has good taste.

Tizoc

HOT DAMN SON!
DmC 2013 looks FREAKIN' GOOOD AT 60 FPS AND EVERYTHING MAXED OUT!
Visual presentation is fantastic and he gameplay is OK so far.

The profanity is just unneeded but otherwise having a blast. Just made it to chapter 2 so I'm still early in the game but I enjoyed what I played so far.

Li Kao

Ok, should continue my Civ 5 play tonight but I'm feeling less and less inclined to.

Firstly because the game is not complex per se but full of little rules, and some of them do not make much sense (forgot which one, but there was clearly one which made me facepalm at the thought that somebody would think it made sense).

Secondly, and that's the big one, because I'm finally at the point where I can't stand enemy AI. Now granted it's because the game gives me the hardest of times and one should be wary of mixing being critical and being resentful... but still !
I aim for a cultural victory (which by the way seems less and less realistic but I have made errors and some far away civ seems like they are killing it), and I have on my right an Indonesian psycho who while being "enthusiastic" hate my guts with a passion. Waged war, lost. Peace for 10 turn. Another war. Peace again. War again.
And on the left I have an English queen that my spy say can't fucking keep with her plan for 10 turns. She is trying to trick you and launch an attack.. Well okay. Next turn, she is trying to trick another civ. And so forth and so forth.
Basically I'm passing a good chunk of my playtime not devising a way to victory, or enjoying building a civilization, I'm just looking at the two psycho-killers the game passes as AI.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Zack Zero -- MB-4C87CA43EDEF0FF8 - Taken by drakaenae

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Could you guys do me a favor and see if HL2: Episode 2 loads for you? Mine crashes when trying to start a new game, and a lot of people on the discussion page are mentioning similar issues. I think there is a problem with the latest update. I am using the same settings I just used to play through the main game and Episode 1.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Unearthed Trail of Ibn Battuta Episode 1 -- MB-D997634F337A3D06 - Taken by alr1ght

Tizoc

Just to add, 60 FPS REALLY adds to the experience of DmC 2013, my brother got the PS3 ver. and I really want him to play it then try out the game on my Laptop just to see how good it actually looks.

Funnily enough I'm wathing TotalBiscuit's recent video on the Frame rate debate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJh9ut2hrc

When the quote from the Order 1886 comes up and after reading it...No.
No you are wrong Dana Jan, I just played a game at 60 FPS and it really helped me appreciate the visual presentation and graphics more.
I think I'll leave it at that so as not to derail the thread, but if you're looking for a decent action game and don't mind skipping most of the story/cutscenes def. give DmC 2013 a play.

Anteater

HOT DAMN SON!
DmC 2013 looks FREAKIN' GOOOD AT 60 FPS AND EVERYTHING MAXED OUT!
Visual presentation is fantastic and he gameplay is OK so far.

The profanity is just unneeded but otherwise having a blast. Just made it to chapter 2 so I'm still early in the game but I enjoyed what I played so far.

game is pretty fun, still waiting for it to drop lower since I own the ps3 version

Sam & Max Season 1 Episode 1: Culture Shock is done. First time playing that despite owning the Telltale games pack for years and it's the only other Telltale game I've played besides The Wolf Among Us. It was a much more traditional adventure game, which was an interesting contrast to what Telltale is doing now with TWAU and The Walking Dead I guess, dunno, haven't played that.

Probably going to jump between series--Monkey Island, Back to the Future and Sam & Max--after completing a season.

Well, Forza has never been on the PC before, while the entire Fable series has been on the platform.

By the way, the original port of Fable 1 is glorious, and downsamples spectacularly.

imAFpZgmq4xl4.png

I know that the Forza series has never been on PC and I mentioned that in the post where I complained about it, but again, it would've been a real sign of Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming. Again, I'm very happy about F:A coming to PC, as I am about the RoL and AoE/M remasters (and the coming remaster Rise of Legends, of course!). But at some point it would be nice to get new content.

I guess we'll have to wait for E3 to see if the Halo Collection is real and if it's coming to PC.

Li Kao

Are you playing Civ5 vanilla or with the expansions?

Full expansions. My first time with Brave New World. Hence the will to win with the new cultural way. Things don't seem to go at all according to keikaku that's for sure. But how can you win when you have a dumb player that forgot how happiness works and two serial killers as neighbors.
Brazil will maybe win this game. But evidently Brazil will win, they are far away from my neighborhood.

I must admit the treaty AI is spot on though. I have made a defense pact with a good half of the world and not a fucking one lifted a finger when I was last at war.

Grief.exe

I know that the Forza series has never been on PC and I mentioned that in the post where I complained about it, but again, it would've been a real sign of Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming. Again, I'm very happy about F:A coming to PC, as I am about the RoL and AoE/M remasters. But at some point it would be nice to get new content.

I guess we'll have to wait for E3 to see if the Halo Collection is real and if it's coming to PC.

From my perspective, I'm perfectly fine with Microsoft pushing the XBO/360 with new, console-exclusive titles. It's perfectly acceptable if they don't port Halo 4/5 or Forza over, as they are trying to establish a brand and push people into that ecosystem.

My problem is, Microsoft needs to support the titles that have existing PC versions. They are doing an excellent job with the 'Age of' and 'Rise of' series, but I would, obviously, like to see more. Specifically the games that are infected with GFWL and some of their older franchises.

Full expansions. My first time with Brave New World. Hence the will to win with the new cultural way. Things don't seem to go at all according to keikaku that's for sure. But how can you win when you have a dumb player that forgot how happiness works and two serial killers as neighbors.
Brazil will maybe win this game. But evidently Brazil will win, they are far away from my neighborhood.

I must admit the treaty AI is spot on though. I have made a defense pact with a good half of the world and not a fucking one lifted a finger when I was last at war.

Yeah, I've had such experiences too, a newbie (me) trying to expand quickly and get attacked right away.
What difficulty are you playing?
Keep playing and try to get familiar with bonuses you need for certain victories.
I've played over 140 hours and I still have no idea what I'm doing sometimes, but love it as much each time.

game is pretty fun, still waiting for it to drop lower since I own the ps3 version

It's still not really a DMC game... but it is kinda fun at times... I just went and did the rest of the collectibles motivated for the playfire rewards... and I had some fun with it.

It would've been much better as a new franchise or Heavenly Sword 2 or something else... then again, I don't know if it would've actually been any good if Capcom hadn't had a heavy hand it trying to teach NT about how combat in an action game should work.

Li Kao

Yeah, I've had such experiences too, a newbie (me) trying to expand quickly and get attacked right away.
What difficulty are you playing?
Keep playing and try to get familiar with bonuses you need for certain victories.
I've played over 140 hours and I still have no idea what I'm doing sometimes, but love it as much each time.

:Shame:
I'm not a new player and I'm just playing on normal :O
It's the mix of forgotten game mechanics / new ones from BNW / brain dead AI that throw me out. I mean with Civ 5 we are accustomed with bad AI, aggressive and unstable ones if you like, but in this game the thing is stunning. The Indonesian wants a pair of socks made with my skin, no other explanation. And the English Queen do drugs.

Edit - a seller just gave me a choice between a key or a gift (pricier), I went with key, did I goof ?

From my perspective, I'm perfectly fine with Microsoft pushing the XBO/360 with new, console-exclusive titles. It's perfectly acceptable if they don't port Halo 4/5 or Forza over, as they are trying to establish a brand and push people into that ecosystem.

My problem is, Microsoft needs to support the titles that have existing PC versions. They are doing an excellent job with the 'Age of' and 'Rise of' series, but I would, obviously, like to see more. Specifically the games that are infected with GFWL and some of their older franchises.

Fixing their GFWL mess would be a step to build up some goodwill, but it's not a commitment to PC gaming. Neither are remasters for 20-30 bucks of games that would work on PC either way (with a bit of tinkering). Launching the remasters with some serious issues doesn't help. I know it's still early, but I really hope they do more than just bringing old games to Steam. It's awesome that they're doing it (with remastering them nonetheless and not just GOG-style), but it's not going to be enough.

e: In the end, I'm probably bitter about them showing off the Forza 5 D3D12 tech demo on PC, while knowing that we wouldn't get the full thing.

qJ3Z2Gu.jpg

Tenrius

Sam & Max Season 1 Episode 1: Culture Shock is done. First time playing that despite owning the Telltale games pack for years and it's the only other Telltale game I've played besides The Wolf Among Us. It was a much more traditional adventure game, which was an interesting contrast to what Telltale is doing now with TWAU and The Walking Dead I guess, dunno, haven't played that.

Probably going to jump between series--Monkey Island, Back to the Future and Sam & Max--after completing a season.

Wait till you get to Episode 4, it's one of the best in the series along with Episode 5. Season 2 in its entirety is pretty cool too, but I failed to maintain my interest in Season 3 for some reason. Just stopped playing on Episode 3.

Anteater

It's still not really a DMC game... but it is kinda fun at times... I just went and did the rest of the collectibles motivated for the playfire rewards... and I had some fun with it.

It would've been much better as a new franchise or Heavenly Sword 2 or something else... then again, I don't know if it would've actually been any good if Capcom hadn't had a heavy hand it trying to teach NT about how combat in an action game should work.

yeah, it's actually a pretty good game although the bosses kind of suck, but compared to most popular action games they are actually not bad. I agree it should've been a new IP, and I don't mean for the sake of dmc, but for Ninja theory as well because they probably could have more creative freedom when it comes to its story and characters.

For gameplay I'm sure they would've gone for the simplistic flash over substance approach without capcom, they're still a competent team so maybe they just need a really good lead/director.

Wasn't it $10 or lower on GMG some weeks ago?

hmm i think that was remember me!

Diedac

Good luck

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

GUN MONKEYS -- MB-F3FE1C433DFB2957 - Taken by Vastag. 2 entrants total.
Super Killer Hornet Resurrection -- MB-0CBB5CADE1A60360 - Taken by SalsaShark. 4 entrants total.

t1401751862z1.png

Li Kao

The big adventures of Li Kao in SteamLand - part 256

So I bought a game from a trader. He left me the choice between key and gift, saying a gift was pricier (why ?). I went with the key, he let me enter the key to verify everything was okay before paying and then added a TF2 hat when I gave the keys.
During the activation of the key the thing was scary as the title of the game wasn't written, but once activated I effectively had it in my collection.
As horror scam stories are like a Monday on the Internet I'm really wary of the whole thing but... everything went good, right ? Should I have made other decisions ?

Edit. Such silence here. He is going to make a web page about the size of my dick, isn't he ?

Edit2. 6 minutes since my post. Four more and I'm calling the police and hire a PI.

So I bought a game from a trader. He left me the choice between key and gift, saying a gift was pricier (why ?). I went with the key, he let me enter the key to verify everything was okay before paying and then added a TF2 hat when I gave the keys.
During the activation of the key the thing was scary as the title of the game wasn't written, but once activated I effectively had it in my collection.
As horror scam stories are like a Monday on the Internet I'm really wary of the whole thing but... everything went good, right ? Should I have made other decisions ?

Edit. Such silence here. He is going to make a web page about the size of my dick, isn't he ?

Edit2. 6 minutes since my post. Four more and I'm calling the police and hire a PI.

Too late now, but always trade for Steam gifts only. If there's a CC scam or something Valve can reverse the trade and you get your TF2 keys back. If the key gets revoked now you're SOL. (Doesn't happen in most cases, but there's always a risk)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Since you opted for the key and it activated fine, you're probably okay. What you have to watch out for post-transaction is someone who gets their key/gift revoked because they used an invalid form of payment.

Li Kao

Too late now, but always trade for Steam gifts only. If there's a CC scam or something Valve can reverse the transaction and you get your TF2 keys back. If the key gets revoked now you're SOL. (Doesn't happen in most cases, but there's always a risk)

Yeah that kinda crossed my mind (not totally or I would have made that choice) but... when you pay with keys, don't you always have a safeguard ?

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

It is safer to trade in gifts so that's why they are usually pricier. If the trader has a lot of rep though you don't need to worry. What game was it btw? Usually when the game is untitled during activation it's a promo/review copy

Yeah that kinda crossed my mind (not totally or I would have made that choice) but... when you pay with keys, don't you always have a safeguard ?

In the trade window where you gave the trader the TF2 keys, there basically was no counterpart on his side (except for a hat?) and from Valve's point of view, you gave the keys to him as a present as they can't verify anything else that happened during the transaction. (and why would they want to, as it's happening in a grey area anyway.)

So if he bought that game key with a stolen CC and it gets revoked, it's gone for good.

But don't worry for now, I bought game keys before as well and nothing ever happened to me. Just go for a trader with high rep and it'll be fine in 99% of the cases.

Li Kao

It is safer to trade in gifts so that's why they are usually pricier. If the trader has a lot of rep though you don't need to worry. What game was it btw? Usually when the game is untitled during activation it's a promo/review copy

Didn't name it because I didn't think it would add something to my post but the game in question is Cryostasis. The recent giveaway and sort of praises intrigued me and I was surprised to see it wasn't as steep on the grey market as I would have thought.

In the trade window where you gave the trader the TF2 keys, there basically was no counterpart on his side (except for a hat?) and from Valve's point of view, you gave the keys to him as a present as they can't verify anything else that happened during the transaction. (and why would they want to, as it's happening in a grey area anyway.)

So if he bought that game key with a stolen CC and it gets revoked, it's gone for good.

But don't woory for now, I bought game keys before as well and nothing ever happened to me. Just go for a trader with high rep and it'll be fine in 99% of the cases.

Yeah I understand now. So even if he put something in the trade window, it doesn't change the risk ? Hmm...
The guy is +74 / -0 btw

Yeah I understand now. So even if he traded something in the windows, it doesn't change the risk ? Hmm...

Only if he gives you game X in the trade for the TF2 keys, and that game X is removed because of payment issues, Valve will reverse the trade IIRC.

Didn't name it because I didn't think it would add something to my post but the game in question is Cryostasis. The recent giveaway and sort of praises intrigued me and I was surprised to see it wasn't as steep on the grey market as I would have thought.
May I ask what you paid? I still have a key that I'd want to sell myself. PM me if you don't want to say here.

EDIT: Also, since it's probably a very old Cryostasis (bundle) key, the chances that it get's revoked are pretty much 0.

Li Kao

Only if he gives you game X in the trade for the TF2 keys, and that game X is removed because of payment issues, Valve will reverse the trade IIRC.

May I ask what you paid? I still have a key that I'd want to sell myself. PM me if you don't want to say here.

Well if you goof, might as well be ridiculous until the end. So publicly... I paid 6 keys for it. But because I was willing to go that high, I have seen it for 4 but the seller wasn't online and I thought I might grab the other for SteamGaf.

EDIT: Also, since it's probably a very old Cryostasis (bundle) key, the chances that it get's revoked are pretty much 0.

Now that feels good.

Well if you goof, might as well be ridiculous until the end. So publicly... I paid 6 keys for it. But because I was willing to go that high, I have seen it for 2 but the seller wasn't online and I thought I might grab the other for SteamGaf.

I'm pretty sure that price is okay for that game. It was bundled before so it's not as rare as other games, but still it's unavailabe anywhere else.

Li Kao

I'm pretty sure that price is okay for that game. It was bundled before so it's not as rare as other games, but still it's unavailabe anywhere else.

To be clear I edited my post, the other offer is 4 and not 2 keys. Still kinda want to grab it for gaf if the seller still has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom