• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kifimbo

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

GEARCRACK Arena -- MB-2EDC5876B478312B - Taken by general dan

Won this previously, just found out it was added in a bundle I bought.

BruteUA

Li Kao, do you have a friend or someone else you trust that is well-versed in the Steam Trading dark arts? It might be easier and less stressful going forward if you had sort of a broker that would deal with the seller on your behalf.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Didn't name it because I didn't think it would add something to my post but the game in question is Cryostasis. The recent giveaway and sort of praises intrigued me and I was surprised to see it wasn't as steep on the grey market as I would have thought.

Yeah I understand now. So even if he traded something in the windows, it doesn't change the risk ? Hmm...

If it's an old game like Cryostasis you don't need to worry. People find games like it for cheap on bargain bins all the time and sell them for profit. I bought the Fallout 3 GOTY from a guy two months ago for two keys

Never trade with low rep/private profiles that have only F2P games on their account, they usually sell revoked/illegal copies.

Li Kao

Li Kao, do you have a friend or someone else you trust that is well-versed in the Steam Trading dark arts? It might be easier and less stressful going forward if you had sort of a broker that would deal with the seller on your behalf.

I'm not as stressed as I look. And I kind of think the thing will become more familiar if I do it again (ask for gift ! ask for gift !). But yeah, using a proxy is not a bad idea.

If it's an old game like Cryostasis you don't need to worry. People find games like it for cheap on bargain bins all the time and sell them for profit. I bought the Fallout 3 GOTY from a guy two months ago for two keys

Never trade with low rep/private profiles that have only F2P games on their account, they usually sell revoked/illegal copies.

Ok, I will go account browsing now lol.

~1 minute later
All is ok guys, he has a lot of new games in his collection, crisis averted !

~brains kicks in
Oh my god ! He has only 150 games ! Kill it with fire ! I'm doomed.

Ok, should continue my Civ 5 play tonight but I'm feeling less and less inclined to.

Firstly because the game is not complex per se but full of little rules, and some of them do not make much sense (forgot which one, but there was clearly one which made me facepalm at the thought that somebody would think it made sense).

Secondly, and that's the big one, because I'm finally at the point where I can't stand enemy AI. Now granted it's because the game gives me the hardest of times and one should be wary of mixing being critical and being resentful... but still !
I aim for a cultural victory (which by the way seems less and less realistic but I have made errors and some far away civ seems like they are killing it), and I have on my right an Indonesian psycho who while being "enthusiastic" hate my guts with a passion. Waged war, lost. Peace for 10 turn. Another war. Peace again. War again.
And on the left I have an English queen that my spy say can't fucking keep with her plan for 10 turns. She is trying to trick you and launch an attack.. Well okay. Next turn, she is trying to trick another civ. And so forth and so forth.
Basically I'm passing a good chunk of my playtime not devising a way to victory, or enjoying building a civilization, I'm just looking at the two psycho-killers the game passes as AI.

The A.I. in Civ V is designed to behave like another player, so everyone is basically playing to win. I never trust my immediate neighbours but there are ways you can modify their relationships with you with trade routes, trade agreements, religion (early to mid game) and ideology (mid to late, less control here). Realise that in every game there will be alliance blocs that naturally form, so you can't get along with every one. Who you declare friendship with or who you denounce are powerful relationship modifiers. Although if you have the largest and/or most advanced military force in the game, you will find the other Civs hassle you a lot less. No matter what victory type you're aiming for, you have to have a decent standing military. I like Tradition for Culture/Diplomatic/Science victories because it gives you a maintenance free unit while it's garrisoned in a city (also buy engineers with faith in the industrial era and rush wonders). Tradition allows you to have a larger army with less of an economic impact. So you'll have money to upgrade units, buy units, buy buildings, donate to City-States, for Research Agreements, whatever. If you have a large enough army, you can risk having open borders with your neighbours. If their army is larger than yours, never have open borders with them until you're equal.

Anyways, you can sway other Civs if you spread your religion to them before they found their own (make building a shrine early a priority). That will be a powerful positive relationship modifier, although actively spreading your religion to them once they've founded their own is a powerful negative modifier. Strategical denouncing one Civ can win over a bunch of A.I. Civ's to your side, as will fighting a war against a common enemy. If you're trading strategic/luxury resources or research agreements, they're less likely to go to war with you. The same is true if you have a lot of trade routes with them (a good way to passively spread religious pressure). The ideology thing is tough because you can have allies suddenly become enemies because they chose a different ideology (it's a persistent negative modifier that tends to outlast all other positive ones) and your game long enemies become your ideology buddies buuuut they hate you. Sometimes you're lucky and you get the ideology alliances you need, sometimes your culture and ideology can overpower your ideological enemies and make them switch to your ideology, sometimes they just spend the rest of a game denouncing you.

Also some Civs you simply can't trust. Indonesia is kind of a war-monger. England less so. If the Mongolians, Aztec, Germans, French, Greek, Persians, Assyrians, Zulus or Huns are my immediate neighbours, I throw the early game culture stuff out the window and build up my military because they will fucking destroy you if you let them.

Evrain

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Duke Nukem Manhattan Project -- MB-71A7DF1D4A1DAEFA - Taken by phantomspiker
Abyss The Wraiths of Eden -- MB-BA8B9C6373303201 - Taken by derExperte
C-RUSH -- MB-B5CAC859DF36FC9D - Taken by Evrain
Strategic War in Europe -- MB-BD7326E1595F26D1 - Taken by Kyougar
The Cat Lady -- MB-B5331FF582873077 - Taken by Zeeman
Thanks for C-RUSH, you anonymous benefactor! May the gods of danmaku smile upon you (hint: bonus points to whoever carthes the shout-out)

maneil99

I'm not as stressed as I look. And I kind of think the thing will become more familiar if I do it again (ask for gift ! ask for gift !). But yeah, using a proxy is not a bad idea.
If you need help let me know, I did alot of steam selling and buying

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Apparently Murdered: Soul Suspect sold out on GreenManGaming?

Outog_WHAMURDER.png

Could it be doing better than expected? Or did they just order too few copies?

BruteUA

Sorry, I was trying real hard not to sound like I was being an asshole. I play it probably too safe and only trade TF2/DotA keys for gift copies, I'm sure I overpay a bit sometimes in exchange for what I think is more peace of mind. My first trade was for Hotline Miami, I booted it up and freaked out because I thought I'd gotten a Russian copy when I saw the title screen.

I also should have said in my first post, if you do go the proxy route, use a friend. Don't pay someone a commission or let someone take advantage of you.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Square probably sent them like 10 keys, thats how much faith they have in it

Vuze

Not sure if I wanna spend my AMD gold voucher on Souls Suspect. Will wait for reviews n stuff.
E: Btw I hope those don't expire. Gotta look that up.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Here is an update to the new feature I posted about earlier. Using everyone's advice I decided I would use the existing formatting for informational alerts. I've also combined the multiple DRM warnings into a single dialog. So it will look like this:

Sendou

Here is an update to the new feature I posted about earlier. Using everyone's advice I decided I would use the existing formatting for informational alerts. I've also combined the multiple DRM warnings into a single dialog. So it will look like this:

Looks great. This feature will be useful for me.

Since the last beta update I can't seem to be able to set my library grid view to "gap less mode".
Altering the gamespage_grid.layout file to values below 10 just causes Steam to re download the file.
Any ideas? Anyone with the same problem?

Li Kao

Bunch of very good points

Thank you for the post. There is lot to be learned here. Me gripe is more with the level of bloodlust or indecision my enemies have, but yup, I clearly am not as in control as you. It was interesting.

Sorry, I was trying real hard not to sound like I was being an asshole. I play it probably too safe and only trade TF2/DotA keys for gift copies, I'm sure I overpay a bit sometimes in exchange for what I think is more peace of mind. My first trade was for Hotline Miami, I booted it up and freaked out because I thought I'd gotten a Russian copy when I saw the title screen.

I also should have said in my first post, if you do go the proxy route, use a friend. Don't pay someone a commission or let someone take advantage of you.

Oh don't worry about it, your post wasn't asshole-ish in the least. With the circus I make of my first few trades you guys were nice.

mrgone

Well if you goof, might as well be ridiculous until the end. So publicly... I paid 6 keys for it. But because I was willing to go that high, I have seen it for 4 but the seller wasn't online and I thought I might grab the other for SteamGaf.

Now that feels good.

Also being removed from Steam more than a year ago, even if the key was somehow purchased illegitimately (which is extremely unlikely given the Groupees and Indie Gala bundles), it's improbable that the publisher is still going to be actively tracking down stolen keys for a game they ceased selling so long ago. The bad keys should've been dealt with back then.

Bethesda not putting DLC on sale or only with lower price cuts than the main games rivals Bioware's behavior with the Mass Effect 2+3 DLC.

It's a pretty fucked up thing to do to early adopters. And they've been doing the same thing for all of their sales since they released the GOTY - selling the base game for next to nothing and barely discounting the (overpriced) DLC. It's super scummy.

Copons

It seems perfect to me!

Li Kao

So what are errors made for ? Everyone who answers 'to not be made again, sit down' !
I did it again ! So here is a steam key for Cryostasis. It is possible that the thing magically disappear from your collection one day. And if we end up in prison I won't pick up the soap.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Li Kao:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Cryostasis -- MB-79B2D33B34C90F0C - Taken by FiveElementNinja. 31 entrants total.

t1401755547z1.png

More seriously, gifts only from now on, I made an exception because I had the keys and bought them for you SteamGaf.
Oh and could you please tell me if it works ? I have a rep to give ( '^_^)

Joe Molotov

Oh boy, another dev meltdown in the making:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/287860/discussions/0/540743212846562327/#c540743212883629320
Let's see how this ends, right? Although I have a pretty good idea what the end result will be.

Just to clarify, when the game went up on Greenlight I promised that I will provide Steam keys for anybody who PURCHASED the game on Desura. Please don't PM me if you got it from a bundle since I can't keep up with that many requests. :) Please email the bundle people and see if they are willing to do that.

Sounds like this is his first rodeo. I'm sure he'll get set straight.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
huh look at that, the 8bit commando dev already sent me my steam key, that was shockingly fast. still a horrible way to handle it tho

Asgaro

UK only, but Dishonored and Skyrim (both vanilla) are £2.49 each on Gamefly and UKJUN15OFF should give you another 15% off.

Dishonored
Skyrim

Meh, Paypal keeps giving:
"We are not able to process your payment using your PayPal account at this time. Please return to the merchant's website and try using a different payment method (if available)."

Probably because I use "circumvention methods"?
(Don't know if chatting about this is allowed on Neogaf)

Would have been nice though. I only buy games when they drop below € 9.99.
Already have Dishonored but would have loved Skyrim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom