• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakkue

Yeah, the basic battle mechanic is turned based. It's similar to VATS in the Fallout games.

So while you can play it as a completely "Action RPG", it's much easier to approach each battle as if it were turn-based.

Relevant video

Worlds apart, I thought. I firmly believe that if you play Transistor like Bastion, you're doing it wrong.

Thanks a lot for that link, I had no idea the battle system was so different from Bastion! That looks like it might be fun.

Ezalc

I don't know what to do. I am super excited about the Steam summer sales all of a sudden, so much that I have ordered Nintendogs.

I want -90% on Rust, Always Sometimes Monsters, Banished, Landmark, Transistor, Sir You Are Being Hunted, DreadOut, Anno 1404, Skyrim, Dishonored, Towerfall Ascension, Nidhogg, Betrayer, World in Conflict, Assassin's Creed etc.

Got 241 titles on my wishlist! And this is my first Summer Sales.

304 titles on my wishlist. I'm looking to buy, maybe, like 3 or something.

hahahaha people on a domestic site being pissed at Valve for not announcing HL3 last night. Yes, because a countdown on teamfortress.com is totally connected to HL! Those journos should be ashamed too, because they were like "what could this countdown mean?! L4D3 or *gasp* youknowwhat?"

We don't even have Counterstrike 2 yet.

--

SOMEONE, please take these Booster Troopers guest passes! I'd give them away via modbot, but you can't send them via email, only directly through Steam. :3

Well, I bought Pandora: First Contact and after playing it for a little over an hour I kind of wish I hadn't. People love to complain about Civ V's A.I., about how aggressive it is, but Pandora's is worse. I've tried to start two games and almost instantaneously upon meeting the other factions I've had the A.I. demand tribute, denounce and/or declare war on me. It's insane how aggressive the A.I. is, even on the easiest difficulty setting. I'm just trying to get a feel for the game, to understand the economy, the build order, what I should research when, what I should build first, basically figure out how the early game works. My conclusion so far is if I do anything other than research combat upgrades or build military units from the first turn I lose.

Also I sort of get what the co-designers of Civ Beyond Earth were saying about faction design. Pandora's got fixed factions and the moment you meet them you already know what's going to happen. There are war, religious, trade, production, science and environmental-centric factions. If your neighbour is the warmonger, guess what he's going to do.

There are some interesting ideas present, for example you can guide your border's expansion by choosing what tile you want your border to grow towards, but these are kind of undermined by the ridiculously hostile A.I.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks a lot for that link, I had no idea the battle system was so different from Bastion! That looks like it might be fun.

No problem! I really enjoyed Transistor - so far I have no qualms in saying it's the best game I've played so far in 2014. My only complaint is that I wish it were longer - it only took me about 11 hours to beat NG+ and earn all of the achievements.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait, f2p games stay in your library after uninstalled now?

Tizoc

Wonder what banner Salsa will surprise us with tomorrow.
...also I don't know if I want to enter for FutLOL, I mean word of mouth says it's nice pass time game but I don't know much about it tbh >_>;

tradingcard
Just a heads up, AI War: Fleet Command got cards.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
wait, f2p games stay in your library after uninstalled now?

I don't think that applies to all of them. I tried La Tale to see if it was any good and promptly uninstalled because I didn't enjoy it. It's still in my library. I uninstalled Toribash because I couldn't remember my password or account for it, and it's no longer in my library. It might have something to do with cards, but I don't know for sure.

dot

Maybe only if you've spent money in them.

Nope, La Tale stayed in my library after deleting it and it still added a +1 to my game count.

You can remove those F2P games from your Account Details anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nope, La Tale stayed in my library after deleting it and it still added a +1 to my game count.

You can remove those F2P games from your Account Details anyways so it doesn't really matter.

oh its a +1 too? thats fine then :p

Khronico

On the eve of the Summer Sale, the games I'm most anticipating to go on sale are:

The Last Federation
Breach & Clear
Doorkickers (75% off = instabuy)
Project Zomboid
Drox Operative
Half Minute Hero 2

Money is tight but I figure I can manage 2 or 3 purchases this sale.

Rhaknar

It seems like it varies, I installed Floating Point and then uninstalled it and it disappeared from my library.

thats a steam beta bug, if you opt out of the beta it stays and it counts as a +1

Rhaknar

Didn't know that, thanks for the tip and the +1.

im not sure if La Tale is a +1, im waiting to hear from the koala king to know for sure. It didnt disapear from my library when I uninstalled thats for sure

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Main thing I know that I'm definitely buying during the sale is the Sega Genesis Classics Pack 5. Those Phantasy Star games will be mine.

I'll probably pick up Cherry Tree High Comedy Club and Analogue: A Hate Story, since I've missed the bundles they've been in, along with Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis, Wasteland, and hopefully the Yawhg.

Is it just me or are 99% of these Greenlight bundles completely unappealing?

The one currently on Indie Gala looks sort of okay, mainly because Soul Gambler looks like it might be decent.

W1SSY

Really hoping for a deal on the Banner Saga. Other than that I don't know until it shows up on sale and I add to the pile of shame.

The one currently on Indie Gala looks sort of okay, mainly because Soul Gambler looks like it might be decent.
Yeah, Soul Gambler looks cool, but the rest of them....ehh.

The Indie Gala Greenlight from a few weeks ago (Girl and Her Robot, Inescapable, etc.) looked really strong, but most of these Greenlight bundles are filled with awful crap.

Tellaerin

Just a little something for those who missed out on the on the SSF4AE keysplosion. I'm fashionably late, as usual. (*goes back to playing New Vegas DLC* >.> )

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition -- MB-946D4F1FFD9324DE - Taken by Ryne. 45 entrants total.

t1403128028z1.png

Tizoc

Just a little something for those who missed out on the on the SSF4AE keysplosion. I'm fashionably late, as usual. (*goes back to playing New Vegas DLC* >.> )

Part of me wants to enter the giveaway because I rarely game on my PS3 nowadays. The other half doesn't because I wouldn't be online to play it with fellow GAFfers due to my weak ass internet connection >_>;

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
im not sure if La Tale is a +1, im waiting to hear from the koala king to know for sure. It didnt disapear from my library when I uninstalled thats for sure

Can confirm. After initializing the installation, my game count went +1. (2012 -> 2013)

Sini

Here's some games that haven't been taken from my giveaway

HOARD -- MB-2622887AAD130F85 - Taken by Interfectum
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-4315FAC9EF2FFACF - Taken by Blak_Status

Can confirm. After initializing the installation, my game count went +1. (2012 -> 2013)

Maybe this is how F2P titles will work going forward? SInce you're able to delete them again from your account

z0rtV6e.png

Reversion and Floating Point are the same, but none of the other recent F2P titles seem to do this. Maybe this has another reason that I just don't know about yet.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'll buy the Banner Saga when it's on sale for $10.

So probably not during this sale.

Maybe this is how F2P titles will work going forward? SInce you're able to delete them again from your account

z0rtV6e.png

Reversion and Floating Point are the same, but none of the other recent F2P titles seem to do this. Maybe this has another reason that I just don't know about yet.

Now if only I could remove or hide games that I don't like.

Yeah, Soul Gambler looks cool, but the rest of them....ehh.

The Indie Gala Greenlight from a few weeks ago (Girl and Her Robot, Inescapable, etc.) looked really strong, but most of these Greenlight bundles is filled with awful crap.

Ftfy :p

It must be even worse if you don't like/feel compelled to buy RPG Maker games in Greenlight bundles.

trashbot is your huckleberry

They're non-tradeable.

I don't think that applies to all of them. I tried La Tale to see if it was any good and promptly uninstalled because I didn't enjoy it. It's still in my library. I uninstalled Toribash because I couldn't remember my password or account for it, and it's no longer in my library. It might have something to do with cards, but I don't know for sure.

Maybe -- I know that you have to install and play them for it to even have a shot at sticking around. I uninstalled Reversion after I got 100% of the achievements and that's no longer in my Library though. Spiral Knights is, however. Rusty Hearts is not (I think).

Aaron D.

Bullshit. A:CM is a decent ride and while it's not the game many expected, I had a good time with it as I ended up with over 22 hours on record and liked it enough to buy the campaign/story DLC to play with other SteamGAFers.

eggtlf.jpg

Nothing wrong with that. There's no rhyme or reason to what speaks to us.

Aaron D. said:

One of my absolute favorite things about SteamGAF is that it's a No Shame Zone.

Sober

That's just where the rest of the game turned to shit. It's obvious they didn't have the time/motivation to continue.

But of course you can appreciate everything before that, and even after. It's just my opinion. It's a mediocre game at best, but I'm mostly disappointed in the multiplayer. Chaos Theory probably had the best multiplayer ever and Blacklist is basically an average CoD-clone with some Splinter Cell-like implementations.
Ummmm.... some of the best missions take place after that one. If your definition of a shitty game consists of "i didn't like that one level" then 99% of all games are trouble

Pachimari

Amzin

I'm tempted to look at the wishlists of some of you guys that have 200+ games on there, just to see what I'm missing, but my wishlist is as big as it's ever been at like 31 right now and I already feel like that's too much :p

Plus I've been on a Diablo/League binge and haven't been clearing my backlog like I had been since last sale :(

Arthea

Well, I bought Pandora: First Contact and after playing it for a little over an hour I kind of wish I hadn't. People love to complain about Civ V's A.I., about how aggressive it is, but Pandora's is worse. I've tried to start two games and almost instantaneously upon meeting the other factions I've had the A.I. demand tribute, denounce and/or declare war on me. It's insane how aggressive the A.I. is, even on the easiest difficulty setting. I'm just trying to get a feel for the game, to understand the economy, the build order, what I should research when, what I should build first, basically figure out how the early game works. My conclusion so far is if I do anything other than research combat upgrades or build military units from the first turn I lose.

Also I sort of get what the co-designers of Civ Beyond Earth were saying about faction design. Pandora's got fixed factions and the moment you meet them you already know what's going to happen. There are war, religious, trade, production, science and environmental-centric factions. If your neighbour is the warmonger, guess what he's going to do.

There are some interesting ideas present, for example you can guide your border's expansion by choosing what tile you want your border to grow towards, but these are kind of undermined by the ridiculously hostile A.I.

Thanks a bunch for sharing it. I was awaiting and downright asking for some impressions.
One thing though, Civ5 AI is not much to complain about, I find it rather mild and there are certain methods to get around aggressive neighbors (and quick way to victory works, which I don't particularly like, but it works), most of older Civs were harsher and AI more aggressive, not on easiest levels, no.
I was thinking about picking it, but for now, I'll just wait for Beyond Earth (or I can replay Alpha Centauri again, which is still great).

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
One last giveaway before the Summer sale. Some people have been talking about how much they want these two games to go on sale, so I'd like to give them the chance to win them. Have fun and enjoy the summer sale :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Banner Saga -- MB-C0D0B109BB013386 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 23 entrants total.
The Wolf Among Us -- MB-0905FE97EE6D0301 - Taken by corrosivefrost. 28 entrants total.

t1403130129z1.png

And please if you're not planning to play them. Do not enter. I am doing this giveaway for the people that want these games a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom