• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I think it's more important to focus on the quality of your experience rather than the number of games you complete. I can spend 30+ hours on Fallout: New Vegas and have a way better time than I would have had if I had spent that same 30 hours playing 10 different platformers.

But that's just me. It's important to find the types of games you enjoy, and have fun playing them.

oh that's not problem in my case, I'm not known for finishing games I don't like (><)
And I can spend countless hours in games I like, doing everything possible, somewhat like Jasec in AssCreed games.
It just... there are so incredibly many games that I like for some reason now, and I want to play them all, but time investment scares me away often, as many games I like are basically endless or really long. So I end up trying to finish short ones at least.

OTOH scratch that, finishing games is overrated, most important it to have fun and have no regrets.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wish all developers would take pride in their older releases. Add in higher resolution and modern OS support. Cloud-saves, cards, and achievements are nice as well.

Even a minimal effort goes a long way. For example, I consider the re-releases of Final Fantasy (III, VII, and VIII) to be perfect examples of how to release an older game on Steam. Except that they really missed a good opportunity to have trading cards with VIII based on Triple Triad.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Epic FootLOL and Fly'N #1 seem to be broken?

The games are already taken, the edit just failed during GAF's server hiccups. If people continue trying to claim the game later, ModBot will re-try the edit to update it, if not it just lets it slide on the basis that the games are already taken instead of accumulating a huge backlog of edits.

Nabs

I was playing a bit of Mechanic Escape and I have a few comments:

- The game feels okay. It's not bad at all. The platforming is fine.
- The game gets old fast. Every level so far feels like the last. I'm sure chapter 2 will look completely different, but... chapter 1 is so damn long (20 levels?).
- A check point system could help this game a ton. It hurts to have to replay an entire level that looks and feels like the last (and probably the next).
- I'm only 11 levels in and I'm completely bored.

I might push through to see what Chapter 2 looks like.

There's literally one negative Steam review on this thing, so it could just be me.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
While I don't recommend necessarily making the names public, I certainly recommend you permablocking those users for peace of mind. I firmly believe that as with past abusive users, a little bit of community pressure can go a long way to ensure compliance. Sorry you felt like you had a bad experience here and I wouldn't want anyone discouraged from giving away games because of abusers :(

Edit: I see you've already done that. Good move.

Obviously, I am not going to do that as it will just cause some unnecessary drama, and I don't want anyone leaving the site or feeling guilty because of me. These members may be irresponsible when it comes to giveaways but they can always offer something else to the community.

I didn't have a bad experience or felt discouraged from giving away games. This is a fantastic community and I will keep doing big giveaways as long as I can, because you all deserve it (well, except these few individuals :p)

Anyway, I think I made a big deal out of it and all this giveaway talk may annoy some people. I just hope that the games will go to good homes and the winners will enjoy them :)
40 mins to go for Banner Saga and Wolf Among Us Btw
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=117146108&postcount=17137

The games are already taken, the edit just failed during GAF's server hiccups. If people continue trying to claim the game later, ModBot will re-try the edit to update it, if not it just lets it slide on the basis that the games are already taken instead of accumulating a huge backlog of edits.

Good to know.

The_Monk

While I don't recommend necessarily making the names public, I certainly recommend you permablocking those users for peace of mind. I firmly believe that as with past abusive users, a little bit of community pressure can go a long way to ensure compliance. Sorry you felt like you had a bad experience here and I wouldn't want anyone discouraged from giving away games because of abusers :(

This post gave me some sad memories from the past... But we shall not remember names. Instead I'll post in pictures, therapy-style:

cT8fI5dl.png

Trejik

Huh. Thanks for the info, didn't know ModBot worked like that.

Sajjaja

I didn't have a bad experience or felt discouraged from giving away games. This is a fantastic community and I will keep doing big giveaways as long as I can, because you all deserve it (well, except these few individuals :p)

*reads MEGAGIVERS ONLY*

*dies inside*

I should probably get around to giving some stuff away some time soon.

Sub Zero

fuck you :(

also The_Monk why do you ignore me on Steam, is it because Im Portuguese? thats racist :(

You are not blocked yet. I'm giving you a last chance to make amends and apologize for the insults you posted the other day about me being the inferior MK ninja.

Knurek

Well... that's true, but you see, I finished something like 17 games this year, and only two of those are 100 hours long and a couple 30-50 hours, all others short games, as compared to your 70!

It's not a competition, it's a hobby. You should never feel bad just because your arbitrary number is lower than someone else's (no matter how awesome, handsome and good in the sack that person is). Concentrate on having fun.

I think it's more important to focus on the quality of your experience rather than the number of games you complete. I can spend 30+ hours on Fallout: New Vegas and have a way better time than I would have had if I had spent that same 30 hours playing 10 different platformers.

Yeah, basically this. Everyone should just play whatever they like the best. :)
Only thing MrOrange's thread changed in my gaming behavior is that I try not to drop games left and right, unless they are really unredeemable garbage. Sure as hell wouldn't finish Broken Sword 4 (or Half-Life 2 for that matter) if I were playing it last year.
(I still tend to start way too many games at the same time, not sure how to fix that)

Caerith

But that's just me. It's important to find the types of games you enjoy, and have fun playing them.
I think it took me 30 hours just to reach the Strip.

oh that's not problem in my case, I'm not known of finishing games I don't like (><)
And I can spend countless hours in games I like, doing everything possible, somewhat like Jasec in AssCreed games.
It just... there are so incredibly many games that I like for some reason now, and I want to play them all, but time investment scares me away often, as many games I like are basically endless or really long. So I end up trying to finish short ones at least.

OTOH scratch that, finishing games is overrated, most important it to have fun and have no regrets.
I have a hard time getting into games of average length. If a game is really short, like 1-2 hours? I'll knock it out in one sitting-- even better if I can 100% it. If a game is really long, like 100+ hours, I'll dive right in. Like, New Vegas (195 hours for first playthrough), Kingdoms of Amalur (145 hours to 100% achievements, but still a ton of quests unfinished), Dragon Quest IX (at least 300 hours and still not 100%), etc. If a game is, like, 8 hours, I can never find the time for it.

Also visual novels. I love them, they're some of my favorite games, but my first (winning) playthrough is always "canon" to me so going back and exploring different paths is just weird. 'swhy I hate how Telltale is handling achievements with 400 Days and Wolf Among Us (which are visual novels with QTEs).

Diedac

Good luck and enjoy

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Defense Grid 2 Beta Key -- MB-B3522AF9448F0FDE - Taken by jediyoshi. 9 entrants total.

t1403138878z1.png

Arthea

I say it every time, but I don't plan to buy much this time either, mostly because only newer games are in my wishlist, and ones I'm not going to play right away, with couple of exceptions and because I spent too much on other summer sales already.
But I guess, steam sale will surprise with some great unexpected deals and it'll end up like always.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You are not blocked yet. I'm giving you a last chance to make amends and apologize for the insults you posted the other day about me being the inferior MK ninja.

Bo Rai Cho is a better character than Sub Zero

1539889-boraicho_bio.png

Already done that. Luckily the new MEGA-GIVER rule eliminates many of them as well

That rule really isn't prohibitive as a barrier.
I've posted why before, but it would cost less than $10 for most people to obtain MEGAGIVER status... $4 for the indiegala, $1 for a couple of extra happy hours, and you're done.

*reads MEGAGIVERS ONLY*

*dies inside*

I should probably get around to giving some stuff away some time soon.

Sub Zero's giveaways using MEGAGIVERS will result in more bundle giveaways than ever imagined. :)

The_Monk

also The_Monk why do you ignore me on Steam, is it because Im Portuguese? thats racist :(

I answered you, twice you silly tuga! Not my fault you're playing AI War: Fleet Command! I'm even talking about drinks in our Chat, it's you that are ignoring me. :( Why? :(

nexen

Why should he apologize for stating the truth?
Hanzo Hasashi is best.

Actually Sub Zero is superior to Rain. Does that count?

Yeah, I'm not writing this without a reason. Some Gaffers have claimed games in my past giveaways (expensive games, not bundle turds) that they were apparently not interested in. They only wanted the +1s/card drops, this may be fine with bundlegames but with games that cost a lot and some people want them really bad but can't afford them, it's not polite. And if this wasn't enough, two of them also begged me for games later.

Winning a game just for the cards seems like absurdity to me. While I may not always get to a game immediately, it goes in my immediate list of games I will be playing (right now, it's about 10). I have a feeling the summer sale is just going to stretch that list out even more.

I mean, I've given away a couple pricey games before (Borderlands 2 back in December), but I never really considered people buying it just for the game count or cards. Something to be mindful of, I guess.

Thanks a bunch for sharing it. I was awaiting and downright asking for some impressions.
One thing though, Civ5 AI is not much to complain about, I find it rather mild and there are certain methods to get around aggressive neighbors (and quick way to victory works, which I don't particularly like, but it works), most of older Civs were harsher and AI more aggressive, not on easiest levels, no.
I was thinking about picking it, but for now, I'll just wait for Beyond Earth (or I can replay Alpha Centauri again, which is still great).

Regret has turned to ambivalence on my third attempt at a first playthrough. I think the limited number of fixed factions is going to drastically impact the game's replayability. The factions have one major bonus and one major penalty and it doesn't look like there are any faction specific units. For example the ecologist faction gets a major bonus that halves xeno hostility but a major penalty that halves the combat strength of military units. Religion isn't a system present in the game, the religious faction just gets a permanent happiness bonus at a massive cost to the research capabilities. And since there's only six factions there aren't any real surprises in a game when you discover who your immediate neighbours are.

A chief complaint that many. not necessarily me, have about Civ V's A.I. is how stupid and aggressive it can be. I find the level of aggression entirely depends on your neighbours in Civ V tho. If it's Shaka, Attila or Genghis Khan, you're in for a rough time if you don't build an early game military. In Pandora, it doesn't seem to matter who your neighbour is, you have to maintain and constantly upgrade your military because they will all declare war on you at the drop of a hat. I'm playing as the ecologist faction and I'm really not looking forward to when the warmonger looks my way. He's already bumped off the trader faction.

One thing I like about Civ V's tech tree is the passive advice you receive from your military, economic, science and foreign policy advisers. There will be a little icon for what each recommends what technology you should research next. There's nothing like this in Pandora and to compound matters you're not dealing with real world, historical technological advancements, you're kind of flying dark into future tech. It's kind of the same with production of buildings and units.

There isn't really unit progression in this game, you just unlock unit types and then have to edit them or create copies of those units to edit so you can change the weapons, armor and items they have equipped. Some weapons and items require resources, most just up unit production times.

Barbarians in Civ V are kind of an early game speed bump until the Civs start being dicks to one another, in Pandora the Xeno's are much more persistent seemingly game-long threats. You can at least harness the xeno's and turn them to your side, although I don't know if you can ever exert any control over their nests. SO far I've been wiping out the ones in territory I want to settle.

I think waiting for a sale or simply holding out for Civ Beyond Earth is a wise course of action.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The hell?

F1n53mn.png

The summer sale starts tomorrow. There will be summer sale cards for spending $10, for voting in front page game discount polls, or for crafting badges. You've crafted a badge, so you got one, because they're dropping them early. They'll reveal their true identity tomorrow.

Personally I'd sell it now, because the supply is about to increase massively.

-MD-

Destructoid is giving away 10000 Defense Grid 2 beta code if you guys are interested. Need to register on their site first though.

I just got done playing the 2 provided maps, I didn't see anything different from the first game but it's still really fun, will definitely be buying that when it hits the $5-10 range.

Sub Zero

That rule really isn't prohibitive as a barrier.
I've posted why before, but it would cost less than $10 for most people to obtain MEGAGIVER status... $4 for the indiegala, $1 for a couple of extra happy hours, and you're done.

Sub Zero's giveaways using MEGAGIVERS will result in more bundle giveaways than ever imagined. :)

at least buying bundles to give them away is something and way better than giving away exploited games that GMG/Alienware give away for free or Xbox live avatar codes that they got from Dr.Pepper

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I'm not sure how feasible this would be, or if it'd even address the problem, but how about this option:

A global whitelist, submitted by the community like the global blacklist. Make the threshold high, much higher than the blacklist even and, of course, have the blacklist take priority over the whitelist.

The only serious problem I see with this approach is that it could ultimately boil down to a popularity contest. But I think a significant threshold, one that would require a large number of posters to vote a person in could help.

I dunno, even as I type this I'm not in love with the idea, but it is worth discussing, I think.

Arthea

I think it took me 30 hours just to reach the Strip.

I have a hard time getting into games of average length. If a game is really short, like 1-2 hours? I'll knock it out in one sitting-- even better if I can 100% it. If a game is really long, like 100+ hours, I'll dive right in. Like, New Vegas (195 hours for first playthrough), Kingdoms of Amalur (145 hours to 100% achievements, but still a ton of quests unfinished), Dragon Quest IX (at least 300 hours and still not 100%), etc. If a game is, like, 8 hours, I can never find the time for it.

Also visual novels. I love them, they're some of my favorite games, but my first (winning) playthrough is always "canon" to me so going back and exploring different paths is just weird. 'swhy I hate how Telltale is handling achievements with 400 Days and Wolf Among Us (which are visual novels with QTEs).

ya, I noticed that you are very thorough with your games and it is great, as result you are very knowledgeable about them and I noticed that I can count on your opinion.
or we just like similar games (><)

I have exactly the same problem with visual novels as you, I think many people have. OTOH I'm not fan of Telltale games at all, although I can tolerate them better already than a year ago, for example.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
at least buying bundles to give them away is something and way better than giving away exploited games that GMG/Alienware give away for free or Xbox live avatar codes that they got from Dr.Pepper

you seem to know some shady ass people on Gaf, I havent seen any of this done

W1SSY

The summer sale starts tomorrow. There will be summer sale cards for spending $10, for voting in front page game discount polls, or for crafting badges. You've crafted a badge, so you got one, because they're dropping them early. They'll reveal their true identity tomorrow.

Kind of figured it was for the summer sale when I got it.

nai

I was thinking more about the price error. When I click it I get "There are no listings for this item." even though there clearly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom