• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing Awesomenauts for the last 2 hours. Oh man, that game is fun as hell.

I suck at it, but it's just..............awesome? Took me about an hour to get the "flow" of the game, as i was running around like a headless chicken really trying to do whatever i felt like.

Bit annoyed that the skins cost so much though, i get that they're trying to make money but £1.74 ($2.96) for one skin seems quite a lot, especially when you consider there are about 20 characters and each has 3 skins to buy. You can't unlock them any other way either.

kafiend

Have some bundle stuff before the great summer meltdown. Think I marked the Desura stuff correctly, unlike last time... :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 16 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (kafiend, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ignite -- MB-B77D14E6B2E73729
Gentlemen! -- MB-6F0E3526AB1A37A7 - Taken by Kuroyume. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Inside The Gear (Desura) -- MB-D924C3E3DF25E728 - Taken by Jason Frost
Iron Grip -- MB-39AFF44D9DAF8120
ulgzbKC.png
Super Panda Adventures (Desura) -- MB-6CAF7C9CEFB99BEA - Taken by Wyatt Smee
Escape Goat -- MB-474F19C5DF4A7ABB - Taken by Casimir. 18 entrants total.
Knytt Underground -- MB-53FFF4608DF4D860 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
GEARCRACK Arena (Desura) -- MB-243665B917804CB1
ulgzbKC.png
Chester (Desura) -- MB-B82C094406CA1928
SOL -- MB-B79DEA4A76E9F23B - Taken by Darth Kupi. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Power-Up (Desura) -- MB-9994BB77E9940D9F
ulgzbKC.png
Yrminsul (Desura) -- MB-069D4F5075B2177F - Taken by WinterDemons
ulgzbKC.png
Sick Brick (Desura) -- MB-BB37833D4175CBF9 - Taken by Jason Frost
ulgzbKC.png
Memories of A Vagabond (Desura) -- MB-0986532E0B246FEC - Taken by Jason Frost
1000 Amps -- MB-EB12CAB6511F8D49 - Taken by Vlad. 3 entrants total.
Dark Shadows -- MB-A646BE89C3DDFDF6 - Taken by ReduxMachine. 1 entrants total.

t1403141179z1.png

Caerith

I'm not sure how feasible this would be, or if it'd even address the problem, but how about this option:

A global whitelist, submitted by the community like the global blacklist. Make the threshold high, much higher than the blacklist even and, of course, have the blacklist take priority over the whitelist.

The only serious problem I see with this approach is that it could ultimately boil down to a popularity contest. But I think a significant threshold, one that would require a large number of posters to vote a person in could help.

I dunno, even as I type this I'm not in love with the idea, but it is worth discussing, I think.
Isn't SteamGAF already considered insular? Having a community-voted whitelist would only make it moreso.

ya, I noticed that you are very thorough with your games and it is great, as result you are very knowledgeable about them and I noticed that I can count on your opinion.
or we just like similar games (><)

I have exactly the same problem with visual novels as you, I think many people have. OTOH I'm not fan of Telltale games at all, although I can tolerate them better already than a year ago, for example.
I'm only really thorough if I like something. Some games wore on me so much that I never went back after beating them-- like, Limbo or And Yet It Moves? I will probably never touch those again.

I think we do like similar games.

I really liked Telltale's adventure games (at least, their Sam & Max ones), but their visual novels are pretty enjoyable too from what I've seen. I really enjoyed The Walking Dead's first season, and The Wolf Among Us doesn't really fit the episodic structure as well but I'm still enjoying it. Still, it's crappy when they're like "replay chapter 3 of this episode because you need to make a different choice at the very end of it in order to get the missables in chapter 4."

Nabs

Heh. Tiny and Big doesn't seem to like me anymore. I'm going for an achievement in level 3 and the game just goes nuts on me. The game even force quits when my character dies. True hardcore mode.

I just did a little more tweaking to ModBot's edit code. Here is the full edit logic:
- When it's time to edit out a key, check the most recent few pages of the thread the key is in (Steam thread by default, a different thread if the user explicitly specifies another one)
- If you don't find a key to edit out, use GAF's search engine to search for the key. Edit it out of any post you find it in.
- If you still don't find a key to edit out, wow weird, remember to look for a key later.
- If the edit fails, add it to an edit queue for when things are better later.

Later:
- Take the oldest edit remaining in the edit queue.
- If it's not associated with a particular post, use GAF's search engine to try to find the post. If you don't find it now, give up.
- If it's associated with a particular post, try the edit again. If it fails again, try it again later. If not, you're good.

When someone tries to claim something that's already claimed:
- If it's been at least a little while since the game was claimed, the edit really should have occurred by now. Use GAF's search engine to try to find the key, edit it out of any post you find it in.

This should presumably work to lower the number of failed edits associated with GAF downtime issues. Hopefully. Maybe. Maybe not. It should at least reduce the number of support requests I get. Hopefully. Maybe. Probably not.

I saw the update about megagivers and the 3 month rule. Is there a way to check if you're a legit megagiver? Will 'my loot' christen you megagiver if it's a yes?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I eagerly anticipate Corrosive's upcoming Colonial Marines mega give-away.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
To celebrate winning The Wolf Among US, here is something back for you guys!

tumblr_m0e4dmNnoJ1rnua94o1_500.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

t1cxE6r.gif
South Park: The Stick of Truth -- MB-408CF7A7555F5804 - Taken by Diedac. 38 entrants total.

t1403141229z1.png

wait... CorrosiveFrost won Wolf Among Us? Well kind of bullshit is that? o_O Guess theres nothing else to do but dance... dance bitches!

tumblr_m4eblxw41n1rvwq31o1_400.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As someone who has never actually read Fables, the Wolf Among Us is quite cool to me. It's got a good style and I think it presents a very interesting world with interesting, thoughtful politics. I am extremely skeptical of comic book stuff, and I normally find the presentation of political stuff in the comic book medium to be be really juvenile. So I was delightfully surprised. The execution isn't perfect, of course, and the later episodes have all been shorter than I would have liked, but I've really enjoyed spending my time with the world and so I rate the game as a big success on that front.

In addition, like The Walking Dead I've been playing it co-op. As a result, during the timed decision parts we often disagree upfront, so I pull the ol' pull-the-battery-out-of-the-controller trick, which pauses the game on the 360. It's the only way we can come to a mutual agreement on how to proceed. Not sure if that trick works on PC but for me despite the fact that it's "cheating", it's pretty necessary to hash things out if you're playing with another person.

I saw the update about megagivers and the 3 month rule. Is there a way to check if you're a legit megagiver? Will 'my loot' christen you megagiver if it's a yes?

RE: the timing thing? Not yet. I'm still experimenting with the timer and I'm still deciding how to present it in my loot if at all. Since you were perceptive enough to notice, I manually ran the query and you are over the 25 required within the time limit so you're safe. For what it's worth, it's extremely rare that I enter any giveaway that isn't a bundle poop game so in case you are worried I am not arbitrarily manipulating the rules to qualify myself at the expense of others. :p

Ryne

That's a cool giveaway. I love that South Park game so much I double dipped.

And I want to echo the love for the Wolf Among Us. I won it here from a Monk giveaway and fell in love with it immediately.

The times almost upon us! My ten dollars are ready, almost jumped on Gunpoint.

In addition, like The Walking Dead I've been playing it co-op. As a result, during the timed decision parts we often disagree upfront, so I pull the ol' pull-the-battery-out-of-the-controller trick
Just wanted to say this is such a great way of Telltale playthroughs.

Card Boy

Banned
As someone who has never actually read Fables, the Wolf Among Us is quite cool to me. It's got a good style and I think it presents a very interesting world with interesting, thoughtful politics. I am extremely skeptical of comic book stuff, and I normally find the presentation of political stuff in the comic book medium to be be really juvenile. So I was delightfully surprised. The execution isn't perfect, of course, and the later episodes have all been shorter than I would have liked, but I've really enjoyed spending my time with the world and so I rate the game as a big success on that front.

You should read Fables it starts off really slow but gets really good.

Nzyme32

On the topic of The Wolf Among Us, I would advise people who haven't read fables but do finish the episodes NOT to go into the wolf among us spoiler thread. Back when episode 2 was being hyped and we'd finished episode one, I wanted to discuss with GAF so went into the thread, and subsequently read a spoiler that pretty much ruined episode 2 by explaining the Fables plot which coincided with it. Was not very happy, but I learnt to avoid pretty much any spoilers even if I think I know what they are

I see how aggressive AI can be a game killer with such layout of factions. Basically, with AI being too aggressive, the faction having military bonus (and I assume there is only one such too) would be always preferable and that can get boring fast. Are there many victory types in there too? Based on factions?

And again thank you for write up.

Doesn't look like there are any interesting faction victory types, just the typical domination, economic and research victory types.

Victory Conditions:
- Economic Victory: Accumulate enough credit to purchase 75% of the other independent factions' economies.
- Military Victory: Control of 75% Pandora's population.
- Research victory: Research 75% of all technologies to win a scientific victory.

Although the factions have more than one positive and negative modifier:

Pandora wiki said:
Divine Ascension This faction is meant for early game rushes.
Fanatic: -25% unit cost
Aggressive: +25% power when attacking
Zealous: +2 morale
Conservative: -33% research from scientists

Imperium This faction has a strong military throughout the campaign.
Militaristic: +25% power
Resilient: +100% healing rate
Well-trained: 3 free Field Training
High-paid: +50% unit upkeep

Noxium Corporation This faction has a very strong economy.
Economic: +25% credits from taxes
Bargainers: +25% better prices
Wealthy: +120 starting credits
Extravagant: -25% habitat

Solar Dynasty This faction can create large powerful cities.
Industrious: +50% production from workers
Fertile: +25% growth
Exploitive: free Former
Reckless: +50% pollution

Terra Salvum This faction is good at avoiding combat.
Ecologic: +1 minerals from forests and fungus
Frugal: +25% habitat
Sympathetic: -50% alien aggression
Peaceful: -25% power when attacking

Togra University This faction excels at research.
Scientific: +50% research from scientists
Resourceful: -25% refit costs
Curious: free Seeker ATV
Free-spirited: -2 morale

I'm currently playing as Terra Salvum.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
reposting since it was on bottom of the page

tumblr_m0e4dmNnoJ1rnua94o1_500.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

t1cxE6r.gif
South Park: The Stick of Truth -- MB-408CF7A7555F5804 - Taken by Diedac

t1403141229z1.png

Dance bitches!

tumblr_m4eblxw41n1rvwq31o1_400.gif

The_Monk

In addition, like The Walking Dead I've been playing it co-op. As a result, during the timed decision parts we often disagree upfront, so I pull the ol' pull-the-battery-out-of-the-controller trick, which pauses the game on the 360. It's the only way we can come to a mutual agreement on how to proceed. Not sure if that trick works on PC but for me despite the fact that it's "cheating", it's pretty necessary to hash things out if you're playing with another person.

What a nice post, you summarize my feeling towards the game really well with a much better writing. This is a good game to play with non-gamers like, say, your girlfriend/wife, etc. While it does not require much in the gameplay department storytelling is always nice and it's a great way to grab some attention of those that rarely play any sort of games. From the console perspective I saw many friends with wives and girlfriends having this with Heavy Rain and it worked pretty well. A friend of mine actually got yelled for his wife when he told her on the phone he was playing Heavy Rain on his day off. Her reaction (she is not a gamer by any means) was: "WITHOUT ME? WELL, THANKS A LOT! NOW I HAVE TO PLAY THAT PART AGAIN" Immersion plays a very important role.

Nzyme32

I am really digging SteamDB's layout for looking through the sales in prep for tomorrow http://steamdb.info/sales/. It's probably been like this for ages, but somehow I've missed it. Will probably do my browsing there before buying throughout the next weeks

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Really? Holy shit, we need something to capitalize on this. I ditched TWD because I think the timed decisions are absolute bullshit. Sometimes I can barely even read through them before they turn off because I'm trying to imagine the character saying them and interpret the intent conveyed by the statement. Then again, my conceptions are sometimes a misinterpretation anyway and I act completely different than I want to, so even with untimed conversations it would fall behind something like, say, Dragon Age which has a mood/context indicator in brackets next to each statement, or Alpha Protocol which has static "moods" for conversational direction.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Isn't SteamGAF already considered insular? Having a community-voted whitelist would only make it moreso.

I agree, which is why I suggest the threshold be way above a person simply being popular among a particular clique. The list wouldn't be public and there could potentially be other ways onto the list, like being a mega-megagiver.

It would also be moderated by the blacklist, so if abuse comes up it could be taken care of quickly.

We already have modbot options geared more towards this specific community, so I don't see it as that much of a further step down that dark path.

Trejik

Here's some games in anticipation of the Sale!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Trejik:

I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Fly'n -- MB-302232FDBF417DD6 - Taken by jediyoshi. 2 entrants total.
Alpha Kimori 1 -- MB-F83D224D5FF9C661 - Taken by Caerith. 7 entrants total.
Miasmata -- MB-E64CD9FBCD98AF8B - Taken by BorntoPlay. 7 entrants total.
The Longest Journey -- MB-BFE4B4E0B536C666 - Taken by Santiako. 5 entrants total.
Spate -- MB-0F9411A1AACFDAB3 - Taken by 73V3N. 1 entrants total.
Antisquad -- MB-C420AA73D8D81AFA - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.
Legend of Dungeon -- MB-49888531F9120005 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 2 entrants total.
Journey of a Roach -- MB-1D3808884A249E65
Mechanic Escape -- MB-90E6AA77B8EDF3A1 - Taken by Saty. 2 entrants total.
Nekro #1 -- MB-70E5A1B3FF320FF9 - Taken by FiveElementNinja. 3 entrants total.
Nekro #2 -- MB-D549C70FE1AD3794

t1403141627z1.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What a nice post, you summarize my feeling towards the game really well with a much better writing. This is a good game to play with non-gamers like, say, your girlfriend/wife, etc. While it does not require much in the gameplay department storytelling is always nice and it's a great way to grab some attention of those that rarely play any sort of games. From the console perspective I saw many friends with wives and girlfriends having this with Heavy Rain and it worked pretty well. A friend of mine actually got yelled for his wife when he told her on the phone he was playing Heavy Rain on his day off. Her reaction (she is not a gamer by any means) was: "WITHOUT ME? WELL, THANKS A LOT! NOW I HAVE TO PLAY THAT PART AGAIN" Immersion plays a very important role.

I played Heavy Rain and Beyond with someone else and in both cases I feel like playing it with someone really contributed significantly to my engagement with the choices I made as well as the degree to which I bought into the stories. Beyond was actually my favourite game last year and Heavy Rain made my top-10 in 2010, and my opinion on both of those games was way way better than the average GAF member's.

I know not everyone is lucky enough to necessarily have someone to play games with, but many games benefit a lot from having someone, even if the game isn't two-player in the traditional sense.

Baha

Could anybody here who's purchased the SF4 AE Ultra DLC from GMG tell me if they've received their steam keys right away or if they're waiting for keys?

Nabs

Could anybody here who's purchased the SF4 AE Ultra DLC from GMG tell me if they've received their steam keys right away or if they're waiting for keys?

Waiting for keys. "No keys available until the game is released."

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I know not everyone is lucky enough to necessarily have someone to play games with, but many games benefit a lot from having someone, even if the game isn't two-player in the traditional sense.
Yeah I played Mass Effect 1 with my friend and it was fun deciding together how we wanted to do everything. I also played Tomb Raider Legend with his girlfriend (not as shady as it may sound) and it was fun thinking over puzzles together and switching off now and then. Co-op can be a blast with single player games if their gameplay is cognitive enough and/or challenging enough that you die a lot so you can switch out and have a laugh at how much you both suck.

The_Monk

Jesus Rhaknar, I'm going to put some money on the side, find where you live and get you a nice cake or something.

I can related with Heavy Rain too but I never played Beyond. In my case I even had some extra incentives because the game was translated to my local language. While it is bad most of the times, this time they hired good actors and some of them were famous from novels/movies and such so she could easily relate and guess who was the actress that the voice belonged. These are the perfect games for non-games or even light-gamers in my opinion. And for this exact reason I can't wait for the Game of Thrones game. It's going to be great (or so I hope) :)

Ruruja

Ha, my classic trick when a friend came round and I was deep into a single-player game was something like "you can be my assistant manager" or "you can be my strategist". I never listened to them though, but it made them feel involved.

Salsa

why the hell is Ultra Street Fighter 4 $15 to upgrade? Am I the only one that was expecting it to cost less?

probably, but that's cause they announced the price a while ago

it's hefty but at least its not just balance updates, you also get SFxT characters! and a cammy reskin! (lel)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I actually plan on getting south park in the steam sale :)
Do get it! It's kinda short, but the game is absurdly fun and the writing is definitely the best of the best.
it's my GOTY

Is Colonial Marines worth it, even for €4,99 ?
It was like $2 on amazon a while ago and I passed on it thanks to some terrible gifs and don't regret it
I'm waiting for the complete thing to hit that price

Yup. He's the Lionel Mandrake of SteamGAF, and that's a good thing.
<3
I do lack his finesse in storytelling though :(

NOTE: You must own Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition to utilize this content. Digital Upgrade does not include any additional DLC costumes.

so the upgrade doesnt come with the new costumes on GMG?
When Capcpom announced the release dates and all that, they did mention that the costumes were meant for the full version, not the upgrade if memory serves.

none of those games will get anyware NEAR that discount. If this is seriously what people expect from the sales, no wonder theres so much crying during it

the summer/christmas sale is the same shit as any midweek/weekend sale, just on a much bigger volume
To be fair, Dishonored did.

You know, sometimes I forget why I'm primarily a PC gamer, but then I see an ad on local paper.

console_euro_tax_by_majorparsnip-d7mx55y.jpg

Dat console & euro tax.
Eh, that's not so bad, you should see some Latin American prices
PS4 is USD1200

I got Strike Zero yesterday for 50 percent off, was that a good deal?
Well, no.

Bull, I'm currently on #70, and still have half a year to go.
That is really impressive, I think I'm 10 at most (and thanks to playfire, lol)

Looks like Bethesda actually put some effort into re-releasing the Fallout games.
That looks real nice, and I'm due to a replay of these classics :D

So has their been any more confirmation of the summer sale starting tomorrow besides that one pic?
Are you being serious with that?

GAF is back, Chile terminated Spain and my PS4 just arrived.

What a wonderful day ;)
Congratz!
That match was quite something though, RIP Spain.

Finally.

From what I remember of the last sales, the threads only sped up around the end of deals and a for a few hours after new deals posted on steam or on a auxiliary key site. So similar to how the normal steam operates.
Eh, this thread goes plenty fast (if the Summer Seal wasn't starting and thus cutting this one short, we would still hit the "limit" a full week or more earlier!), the same people that post here will move to that thread (except Salsa, because he'll be banned as usual).

Even a minimal effort goes a long way. For example, I consider the re-releases of Final Fantasy (III, VII, and VIII) to be perfect examples of how to release an older game on Steam. Except that they really missed a good opportunity to have trading cards with VIII based on Triple Triad.
I still can't believe they haven't made a standalone Triple Triad game. I mean, seriously Squeenix :mad:

This post gave me some sad memories from the past... But we shall not remember names. Instead I'll post in pictures, therapy-style:
Bwahahaha.
His sacrifice was not in vain though, he made us get closer to Skynet a better Modbot.

Destructoid is giving away 10000 Defense Grid 2 beta code if you guys are interested. Need to register on their site first though.
Oh, just entered the raffle above this post :/

You haven't been paying attention then. Happens all the time when sites give away free games. Most of these users do anonymous giveaways. Just check the Steam threads of the two last months and you'll see for yourself
The free games I have seen of course, but the other one I have not XD

oh look at me, all smuggy about World Cup, while I was betting England would have brutally kicked our ass... nevertheless I just hope we send Uruguay home so Salsa will be totally dedicated about Sale threads. :D
I hope that you are you WILL be proven wrong, mean Italian kitty D:<

Yeah, I'd rather have the minimum post requirement to be upped rather than doing that.

Arthea

This thread moves too fast for me already and it's not even sale thread!

Doesn't look like there are any interesting faction victory types, just the typical domination, economic and research victory types.

Victory Conditions:
- Economic Victory: Accumulate enough credit to purchase 75% of the other independent factions' economies.
- Military Victory: Control of 75% Pandora's population.
- Research victory: Research 75% of all technologies to win a scientific victory.

Although the factions have more than one positive and negative modifier:

factions...

I'm currently playing as Terra Salvum.

Handicaps seem rather severe. There are no ways through technology or culture or some other means around them?

Which time zone does Valve go off of? Because in the UK it's less than 10 minutes until the 19th.

We should all join hands in a pagan ritual and summon our great GABEN

ipt5Lzp.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was pretty relieved to check my loot stash and find I only won 4 games through modbot: one that just crashes, one that is total shit, one I loved, and one I haven't started yet but is bundle fodder.

Salsa

An item you listed in the Community Market has been sold to h3llok1tty. Your Steam Wallet has been credited 2.53 USD.

This email message will serve as your receipt. You can also access your Purchase History online at any time.

Transition (Foil)
2.53 USD

this was on there for like 2 months

the summer sales know of my needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom