• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was thinking more about the price error. When I click it I get "There are no listings for this item." even though there clearly is.

It's a bug with the database that Enhanced Steam uses for these cards. They changed the market_hash_name of card 3 right after they showed up.
Insert HL3 joke here

Should be fixed tomorrow when all the cards are renamed.

Ryne

QvgxsfS.png

Thanks for Super Street Fighter IV Tellaerin!

I won, so I must give one away (I like Ubi's smaller games, I'll keep giving these away):

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Valiant Hearts: The Great War -- MB-D6431E4C744067E8 - Taken by PinkCrayon. 25 entrants total.

t1403129778z1.png

nai

It's a bug with the database that Enhanced Steam uses for these cards. They changed the market_hash_name of card 3 right after they showed up.
Insert HL3 joke here

Should be fixed tomorrow when all the cards are renamed.
Oh I see. You've done such a good job with Enhanced Steam that I sometimes forget that I'm using it and believe that it's part of the store.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
you seem to know some shady ass people on Gaf, I havent seen any of this done

You haven't been paying attention then. Happens all the time when sites give away free games. Most of these users do anonymous giveaways. Just check the Steam threads of the two last months and you'll see for yourself

Yeah, I'm not writing this without a reason. Some Gaffers have claimed games in my past giveaways (expensive games, not bundle turds) that they were apparently not interested in. They only wanted the +1s/card drops, this may be fine with bundlegames but with games that cost a lot and some people want them really bad but can't afford them, it's not polite. And if this wasn't enough, two of them also begged me for games later.

As for the playing part.I didn't ask and I am not forcing anyone to play them right now. And obviously, I am not going to check your profile each day and call out or begrudge them if I realize that they have not played them. I know you had some drama when you won Transistor, but it's not exactly the same
That's really disappointing to hear. ;\

Amzin

You must be new here.

You're quite welcome

We don't play games here.

who talks about playing them?

I plan to play all my games, even if I have to live 1000 years to do it!

that's by no means guarantee, it happens that we don't get steam keys even from greenlight bundles, not often, but happens.

I know people buy games all the time without particularly wanting to play them right away, and people collect games (+1's and all that), but there's no reason to bother with a wishlist for collecting really, especially 700 games worth :p

I mean yea, I'll buy games this steam sale for sure. And I've easily got months and months worth of backlog even if I stop playing "Endless" games. I just gotta see this wishlist sometime, haha

I missed out on that Might & Magic X Legacy deal. I thought it was the standard edition when it was in reality the deluxe version. Maybe it's for the best.

Ruruja

You think it will massively increase the popularity of GOG?

I know that in my case, I often buy games on steam instead of GOG due to the achievements/updates/friends connectivity that you get with the Steam client, it feels like you're getting more for your purchase. If GOG offer that too then it changes things.

QvgxsfS.png

Thanks for Super Street Fighter IV Tellaerin!

I won, so I must give one away (I like Ubi's smaller games, I'll keep giving these away):

Congrats!
Gotta ask: Uplay code or Steam code?

I won't bother entering if it's Uplay only and don't want to take it from someone who is okay with that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You haven't been paying attention then. Happens all the time when sites give away free games. Most of these users do anonymous giveaways. Just check the Steam threads of the two last months and you'll see for yourself

You don't even need to look that far back. There is a Defense Grid 2 beta key being given away right now, likely one of the free ones from the Destructoid promotion.

Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that - some GAFer may not be able to sign up or access Destructoid (maybe they're at work, etc) and still wants a key. Or they might run out quickly.

But it's definitely not in the same class as giving away new, popular or AAA games that haven't ever been bundled.

The_Monk

but but but HIS TAG SAYS HE'S DRUNK SO IT MUST BE TRUE!

on a total unrelated note, is CR7 fine? :p

Pfft, go ask him, yourself!

Also, I was checking GAF the other day while taking care of my 8 year old nephew and he saw your avatar and said: "Look uncle, that cat seems like someone gave him a kick in his eye! It's part black and he have a very silly face, HAHA!" So there... you might have some 'splainin' to do :p

I dont, I said the other day, Im straight edge like CM Punk, only fat

Fine, I buy you a 8 Fruit Bongo. :p

Vibranium

Banned
I know that in my case, I often buy games on steam instead of GOG due to the achievements/updates/friends connectivity that you get with the Steam client, it feels like you're getting more for your purchase. If GOG offer that too then it changes things.

If GOG adds achievements, a friends community, has a better meta-game for sale events and takes huge steps in expanding their library I will try to buy as much as possible there.

Arthea

Pandora&Civs
I see how aggressive AI can be a game killer with such layout of factions. Basically, with AI being too aggressive, the faction having military bonus (and I assume there is only one such too) would be always preferable and that can get boring fast. Are there many victory types in there too? Based on factions?

And again thank you for write up.

zychi

Banned
threw $50 into my steam wallet. looking mostly for last fall's releases and mk9. have another $50 reserved for amazon sales.

lezdothis!

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
You don't even need to look that far back. There is a Defense Grid 2 beta key being given away right now, likely one of the free ones from the Destructoid promotion.

Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that - some GAFer may not be able to sign up or access Destructoid (maybe they're at work, etc) and still wants a key.

But it's definitely not in the same class as giving away new, popular or AAA games that haven't ever been bundled.

I actually entered that giveaway, thinking it was a Kickstarter key :p

There's obviously nothing wrong with giving away these freebie keys, but in my opinion they shouldn't count as games you've given away. If I'm not mistaken steamgifts.com prohibits users from giving them away and Modbot has a similar rule but I'm not sure if all these games are included

Pachimari

What is the difference between the DRM free and Steam version of Jade Empire?

I have 15 minutes to decide if I want to buy it on GOG. =/

Arthea

I missed out on that Might & Magic X Legacy deal. I thought it was the standard edition when it was in reality the deluxe version. Maybe it's for the best.

Laughed so hard. Felt the same way with that awesome Rise of Nations giveaway, haha.

What are you guys even talking about! There were two! I mean two giveaways of fault (a game isn't even for sale yet) the same day and I haven't won any! If that didn't show you that modbot has his own agenda and preferences, I don't know what will!

So as mentioned before with the Summer Sale approaching I decided not only idle for cards but actually play the games so some short impressions:
  • Kairo - Played it for around an hour, it's an abstract first person puzzle game but I didn't fully understand what was going on. Will I play it again? Maybe, but I need to be in the right mood for it.
  • Ether Vapor Remaster - It's a competent shooter, the graphics aren't the best thing you may find in a game of the genre but all the core gameplay is right. The perspective changing during the game is a cool touch and serves to add variety to the game. Will I play it again? Yes.
  • Dungeon Hearts - It's a puzzle game where you need to make combination with the different gems to attack the enemy on the screen as well cleaning the enemy gems that allow them to attak or debuff you. The movement felt a bit clunky in some moment. Will I play it again? Yes.
  • Offspring Fling! - Another puzzle game, in this one you have to rescue your babies scattered through different levels and in each level the game presents more obstacles, hazardous environments and enemies. You need to bring the babies or throw them to the level exit and they also can be used to push buttons, destroy blocks and stun enemies. Will I play it again? While definitely no an example in how to threat your offspring, yes I'll play it again.
  • Legend of Dungeon - It's a roguelike and while not reinventing the wheel, I feel it does a deccent job as a game in the genre. I didn't get so far yet, only reached the 7th or 8th level but I didn't notice too much difference between the levels. Will I play it again? Yes, I enjoyed the previous two and half hours I already spend with the game and I want to play more.

kido_zpsb90fe5c1.gif

*blocks Pinkcrayon from future giveaways

LOL!!

Sorry, man. Next time!

You say that, but it's just placation. Next time will be the same as this time and the time before it and the time before that... :p

Laughed so hard. Felt the same way with that awesome Rise of Nations giveaway, haha.

I just felt like venting -- I thought for sure that fact that I got the answer that it was a steam gift and managed to enter with 12 seconds left was going to lead to my first win of something big...

I was very wrong.

Copons

Pfft, go ask him, yourself!

Also, I was checking GAF the other day while taking care of my 8 year old nephew and he saw your avatar and said: "Look uncle, that cat seems like someone gave him a kick in his eye! It's part black and he have a very silly face, HAHA!" So there... you might have some 'splainin' to do :p

If your nephew thinks her face is silly he should absolutely see her half tail (EDIT: she was born like that, so it's not my fault!), because THAT'S something silly indeed! :D

Also I actually kinda maybe have kicked her once, but in my defence I was just walking when she charged a super mega dash from the other side of the house behind me, just to end up in the middle of my feet, and I accidentally threw her against the wall.
I thought I had crashed her organs or something and I was ready to run to the vet, when she started chewing my feet, so I realized she was totally. :D

btw I hope Ronaldo get well soon. Portugal could need him in the next matches... :p

oh look at me, all smuggy about World Cup, while I was betting England would have brutally kicked our ass... nevertheless I just hope we send Uruguay home so Salsa will be totally dedicated about Sale threads. :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just did a little more tweaking to ModBot's edit code. Here is the full edit logic:
- When it's time to edit out a key, check the most recent few pages of the thread the key is in (Steam thread by default, a different thread if the user explicitly specifies another one)
- If you don't find a key to edit out, use GAF's search engine to search for the key. Edit it out of any post you find it in.
- If you still don't find a key to edit out, wow weird, remember to look for a key later.
- If the edit fails, add it to an edit queue for when things are better later.

Later:
- Take the oldest edit remaining in the edit queue.
- If it's not associated with a particular post, use GAF's search engine to try to find the post. If you don't find it now, give up.
- If it's associated with a particular post, try the edit again. If it fails again, try it again later. If not, you're good.

When someone tries to claim something that's already claimed:
- If it's been at least a little while since the game was claimed, the edit really should have occurred by now. Use GAF's search engine to try to find the key, edit it out of any post you find it in.

This should presumably work to lower the number of failed edits associated with GAF downtime issues. Hopefully. Maybe. Maybe not. It should at least reduce the number of support requests I get. Hopefully. Maybe. Probably not.

One last giveaway before the Summer sale. Some people have been talking about how much they want these two games to go on sale, so I'd like to give them the chance to win them. Have fun and enjoy the summer sale :)

And please if you're not planning to play them. Do not enter. I am doing this giveaway for the people that want these games a lot

Holy crap!

The Wolf Among Us -- MB-0905FE97EE6D0301 - Taken by corrosivefrost. 28 entrants total.

Seriously?
Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCssOcm8dAQ

Giving back mode has been initiated.
It might be a little bit... but there will be giveaways to celebrate. Good ones. Stay tuned... and I'll be using MEGAGIVERS to continue the Sub Zero tradition.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Holy crap!

The Wolf Among Us -- MB-0905FE97EE6D0301 - Taken by corrosivefrost. 28 entrants total.

Seriously?
Thank you!

Giving back mode has been initiated.

pft weaksauce

I give back when I lose like a boss!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom