• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Legendary: The Box is a 5-hour linear Call of Duty style cinematic setpiece FPS. You play as a dude who is hired to open Pandora's Box by an Evil Mad Scientist who runs some sort of Private Mercenary Cult. When you do, monsters come out. The monsters including werewolves, minotaurs, and gryphons. And the Kraken. In the second level, you kill a giant trash golem that wrecks time Square. The Kraken wrecks Big Ben. In the end, you overload Pandora's Box with Cyber Energy or something and then the bad guy dies. The ending sets you up for a sequel where, like, your Cyber Energy lets you control the monsters and as it turns out the good guys were a bad evil government or something all along.

The shooting is not particularly good. Enemies are a bit spongy and don't react to being shot, except Alpha Werewolves, whose skin starts to fall off. Both types of Werewolves need to be decapitated or they will revive themselves, doing so with the axe is pretty fun the first few dozen times. Unfortunately since they're one of the game's main enemies, it gets old. Quickly. AI is pretty weak. Guns: Assault Rifle, Machine Gun, Rocket Launcher, Shotgun, Pistol, end-of-game Flamethrower, axe. You can carry two at once. The boss fights all have unlimited ammo rocket supplies near them. Hmm.

There are no real branching paths, even areas that should be open have debris blocking your way so you're funneled through the linear intended path. You go through sewers. It hits all the clichés. Occasionally you stop to push a switch or turn a valve or fight waves of enemies until the game decides to let you go on. There are data diaries you can pick up. They have riveting anonymous text like "We're going to have to take a run for it the monsters are everywhere". The PC version does not have achievements and there is no in-game incentive to find the diaries. I stopped reading them after a level or two.

The game would have taken me less than 5 hours, but the checkpointing is pretty poor so expect to repeat long walking segments when you manage to get yourself killed at the end. I also ran into a 100% guaranteed bug just before the last checkpoint of the game that causes you to fall through the level geometry. To solve it you need to edit an INI to either bind a noclip to some control or to cap the framerate of the game at 30. This did not endear me to the game. It is well documented on Steam discussion forums.

One of the more positive reviews of the game claims it's 8 hours long. I'm sorry, it's just not. It just isn't. Again, I died a bunch and fell through the game's geometry a bunch at the end and had to restart and fiddle with that and I got to a hair over 5 hours on Normal difficulty. It's not an 8 hour game.

The game has a hard rock soundtrack and a pretty bad attitude. It's almost a horror FPS except that it's not scary, it's just... abrasive. Like you're constantly being yelled at, I guess. It's very loud. There are sporadic moments that are sort of inventive but mostly they're covered by sort of a very generic game shell.

Did I hate it? Well, no, not really. It's functional. It probably doesn't deserve a 50 Metacritic when there are games that are similarly bad or worse and have 25 points higher because they have big name IP or had big publishers. Like, Homefront has a 70 average score. If Homefront is a 70, this is a 70-ish. But do I recommend it? Not really. It's not a great use of your time. You're not going to finish it and say "well, it was rough around the edges but this and this and that were kind of cool". Like, Walking Dead: Survival Instinct is not a good game, but it at least tried and failed to do stuff. Legendary doesn't really feel like it tried, most of the time. I didn't try the multiplayer, which is a GameSpy casualty.

The dev team also made Lost Planet 3, Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, and Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. Yep.

oipic

Possibly old news (?), but if there's any chance to talk trucking, I'll take it:

Sounds a lot like Steam achievements are coming to Euro Truck Simulator 2 a little later in the year (source).

Copons

So, I've just started Skyrim and I noticed they managed to put some motherfucking terrifying giant spiders in the motherfucking tutorial.

Is there a mod who replace spiders with funnier stuff like i dunno saoirse ronan or something?

Miker

So, I've just started Skyrim and I noticed they managed to put some motherfucking terrifying giant spiders in the motherfucking tutorial.

Is there a mod who replace spiders with funnier stuff like i dunno saoirse ronan or something?

I actually do think there is a replace spiders with bears (or something) mod at the nexus. I'd take a look.

Teeth

Legendary: The Box is a 5-hour linear Call of Duty style cinematic setpiece FPS. You play as a dude who is hired to open Pandora's Box by an Evil Mad Scientist who runs some sort of Private Mercenary Cult.

Ah. The original PMC.

Did I hate it? Well, no, not really. It's functional. It probably doesn't deserve a 50 Metacritic when there are games that are similarly bad or worse and have 25 points higher because they have big name IP or had big publishers. Like, Homefront has a 70 average score. If Homefront is a 70, this is a 70-ish.

Homefront is garbage in single player, but there were a bunch of people that lauded its multiplayer. That probably accounted for some of the higher scores. The team that built Homefront had a legacy (well, one game) that was highly regarded for its multi, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

jshackles, is this a bug or just a result of the coupon working on a game in that Puzzle Indie Pack (which also includes Chains)?

Interestingly, that coupon will work on the Puzzle Indie Pack, so you can get those four games for $1.

9lndunK.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles, is this a bug or just a result of the coupon working on a game in that Puzzle Indie Pack (which also includes Chains)?

Interestingly, that coupon will work on the Puzzle Indie Pack, so you can get those four games for $1.

If you click on the coupon in your inventory, there should be a button that says something like "View applicable games". If you select that coupon and press that button, does Chains appear in that list?

I've seen instances where what the coupon says and what the coupon does are two completely different things - this might be one of those cases.

If you click on the coupon in your inventory, there should be a button that says something like "View applicable games". If you select that coupon and press that button, does Chains appear in that list?

I've seen instances where what the coupon says and what the coupon does are two completely different things - this might be one of those cases.

Clicking that it only lists the Puzzle Indie Pack, which is weird because the coupon says it's for Gumboy - Crazy Adventures. Oddly enough, going to the Gumboy - Crazy Adventures page only lets you buy the Puzzle Indie Pack, yet you can buy Chains or Obulis by itself. Same for Vigil: Blood Bitterness.

Salsa

costume quest 2 shots:

CostumeQuest2_Screen_01.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

CostumeQuest2_Screen_04.jpg

CostumeQuest2_Screen_02.jpg

apparently they changed the "press to crit" timing to be more reminescent of something like Paper Mario and they added attack "combos", whatever that ends up being

also there's a pterodactyl costume gimme it

Lomax

costume quest 2 shots:

apparently they changed the "press to crit" timing to be more reminescent of something like Paper Mario and they added attack "combos", whatever that ends up being

also there's a pterodactyl costume gimme it

Can't wait, loved the first, it's my favorite of the Double Fine games. If they add just a tiny bit more depth and difficulty (at least optionally) I may make a rare day one purchase. Even if it's just more of the same I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im sorry...what? a sequel to costume quest? o_O

I really am living under a rock, when was this announced?

Gangxxter

I'm currently playing Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter and I came across a very strange thing right now:

That Reeban Electro-Fish enemy is usually 11ft long (according to NETRICSA) but this one looks more like 40ft!
That encounter was very creepy, it didn't help that the enemy didn't move at all (only the "idle" animation) and I couldn't shoot it.

Is this a strange bug? Maybe some model scaling glitch?

Authority

Banned
Fable Anniversary coming to PC
Gameplay Xbox360

A Windows PC version of Fable Anniversary is on its way, according to a teaser trailer released today by developer Lionhead Studios.

"Since launching Fable Anniversary on Xbox 360, we've been inundated with requests to bring the game to PC," reads the trailer's YouTube description. The video fills up with fan messages along those lines, and then shows a Steam notification for a friend who's playing Fable Anniversary.

Fable Anniversary is Lionhead's high-definition remake of the original Fable. That game debuted on Xbox in 2004, and was then ported to Windows in 2005 and Mac OS X in 2008. Fable Anniversary launched earlier this year on Xbox 360. For more on the remake, check out our full review.

Credits to Polygon

Twitch E3 schedule teases plenty of unannounced titles

E3 is almost upon us, which means we’re about to be inundated with a plethora of announcements, reveals and gameplay footage. Twitch has posted its four day schedule, from the 9th to the 12th, teasing several unannounced titles from the likes of Bethesda, Deep Silver and Square Enix.

Educated guesses hint at what some of these titles may be, and in the case of Bethesda, we already know what they are revealing: it’s BattleCry, which was announced last week.

Crytek spilled the beans on Homefront: The Revolution earlier today, and we also saw the announcement of Mortal Kombat X from NetherRealm, which is likely to be what Warner Bros. will be showing off.

The unannounced title from Square Enix certainly won’t be IO’s unnamed Hitman sequel, as the studio already said that they weren’t ready to show off the game yet.

Ubisoft and EA are also showing off something new alongside Dragon Age: Inquisition, Far Cry 4 and The Division.

Is there anything on the list that’s got you salivating?

Monday 6/9 PT

9:30am – Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing
11:00am – Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing Post show
11:30pm – Hotline Miami 2 (Dennaton Games/Devolver Digital)
12:00pm – EA World Premiere: E3 2014 Preview
1:00pm – EA Special Event
2:00pm – EA World Premiere: E3 2014 Post show
2:30pm – Bethesda (Unannounced title)
3:00pm – Ubisoft 2014 E3 Media Briefing
4:00pm – Ubisoft 2014 E3 Media Briefing Post show
4:30pm – Witcher 3 (CD Projekt RED)
5:00pm – Dying Light (Techland)
5:30pm – Final thoughts
6:00pm – PlayStation E3 2014 Press Conference

Tuesday 6/10 PT

9:00am – Nintendo Digital Event
10:00am – Deep Silver (Unannounced title)
10:15am – Deep Silver (Unannounced title)
10:30am – Dragon Age: Inquisition (EA)
11:00am – Ubisoft (Unannounced title)
11:20am – The Division (Ubisoft)
11:40am – Farcry 4 (Ubisoft)
12:00pm – Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Activision)
12:20pm – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)
12:40pm – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)
1:00pm – DRIVECLUB (SCEA)
1:20pm – Evil Within (Bethesda)
1:40pm – Lords of the Fallen (NAMCO)
2:00pm – Destiny (Activision/BUNGIE)
2:20pm – The Order: 1886 (SCEA)
2:40pm – Nintendo Demo
3:00pm – Evolve Special Tournament (2K)
4:00pm – Super Smash Bros. Invitational (Nintendo)

Wednesday 6/11 PT

10:00am – Alienware
10:30am – Twitch Time
11:00am – Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac Games/Microsoft Studios)
11:20am – ID@Xbox (Unannounced title)
11:40am – Killer Instinct: Season Two (Iron Galaxy/Microsoft Studios)
12:00pm – Square Enix (Unannounced title)
12:20pm – Square Enix (Unannounced title)
12:40pm – H1Z1 (Sony Online Entertainment)
1:00pm – EA (Unannounced title)
1:20pm – Batman: Arkham Knight (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
1:40pm – Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
2:10pm – Nintendo Demo
2:30pm – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Unannounced title)
2:50pm – Crytek (Unannounced title)
3:00pm – SCEA (Unannounced title)
3:15pm – SCEA (Unannounced title)
3:30pm – Hohokum (Honeyslug, SCE Santa Monica Studio)
3:45pm – Helldivers (Arrowhead Game Studios/Sony Computer Entertainment)
4:00pm – Alien Isolation (The Creative Assembly/SEGA)
4:20pm – Civilization: Beyond Earth (2K)
4:40pm – Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – Ultimate Evil Edition on PS4 (Blizzard)
5:00pm – Evolve Special Tournament (2K)

Thursday 6/12 PT

10:00am – Tetris w/creator Alexey Pajitnov
10:15am – Zombies Monsters Robots (Ying Pei Games)
10:30am – Guinness World Records – certificate presentation
11:00am – Fable Legends (LionHead/Microsoft Studios)
11:20am – #IDARB (ID@Xbox)
11:40am – Project Spark (Team Dakota/Microsoft Studios)
12:00pm – Nintendo (Unannounced title)
12:20am – Square Enix (Unannounced title)
12:40pm – PlanetSide 2 PS4 Edition (Sony Online Entertainment)
1:00pm – 505 Games (TBD) 1:20pm – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Unannounced title)
1:40pm – Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Gearbox/2K)
2:00pm – Ubisoft (Unannounced title)
2:20pm – The Crew (Ubisoft)
2:40pm – Nintendo Demo
3:00pm – Tecmo Koei (Unannounced title)
3:20pm – Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes (Disney Interactive)
3:40pm – SEGA Sonic BOOM! (SEGA)
4:00pm – Evolve Special Tournament (2K)

Credits to PCGamesN

Copons

I actually do think there is a replace spiders with bears (or something) mod at the nexus. I'd take a look.

Yup found a couple of minutes later but forgot to edit out my post. Thank you anyway!

It's kind of a ridiculous mod but really I can't stand spiders bigger than me, and apparently those in Skyrim moves so smooth and wavey, they were so fucking creepy... :'(

Is Costume Quest 2 in New Orleans? that would kinda be awesome.

Reynold and Wren's family have moved to Louisiana, yes. Dunno if it's New Orleans specifically, but yeah.

I love that there's a playable Candy Corn costume in this, and I love that it has exactly zero ability to fight.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Mon. 11:30pm – Hotline Miami 2 (Dennaton Games/Devolver Digital)
Wed. 4:20pm – Civilization: Beyond Earth (2K)

:D
I'm ready to be disappointed.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Reynold and Wren's family have moved to Louisiana, yes. Dunno if it's New Orleans specifically, but yeah.

I love that there's a playable Candy Corn costume in this, and I love that it has exactly zero ability to fight.

Perfect location. Creepy graveyards and voodoo shit on the Bayou!

Uzzy

4:30pm – Witcher 3 (CD Projekt RED)
4:00pm – Alien Isolation (The Creative Assembly/SEGA)

Everything else is rather uninteresting, though the 'to be announced' titles could change that.

As for Fallout 4, I'd be utterly astonished if it was Xbone exclusive. Xbone and PC, I can see as a possibility, but just Xbone? No way. The meltdown would be amazing though.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

That's about it for me.

Either this or Dishonored 2. Don't think that they have ever announced a FO or TES game at an E3.

I hope it's Dishonored 2.

As for Fallout 4, I'd be utterly astonished if it was Xbone exclusive. Xbone and PC, I can see as a possibility, but just Xbone? No way. The meltdown would be amazing though.
It'll be out on PC. For them not to release it on PC wouldn't make much sense, especially with their track record of mod support.

I hope they don't do the whole delay DLC on non-Xbox platforms nonsense like they did with Skyrim and Fallout 3, though.

~Kinggi~

Banned
F4 being Xbone exclusive would probably anger so many people, more at the fact a series known for pushing the envelope on expansive worlds would be handicapped on the weaker machine. What a bummer that would be.

Nzyme32

Can't wait, loved the first, it's my favorite of the Double Fine games. If they add just a tiny bit more depth and difficulty (at least optionally) I may make a rare day one purchase. Even if it's just more of the same I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Aw man, I feel like an arse. I love Double Fine games that I've played so far, but I haven't played costume quest yet, even though I was given the game and all the dlc for free courtesy of either Hidden Path's Defence Grid kickstarter or the Double Fine Broken Age kickstarter. I'm gonna go install it now

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
F4 being Xbone exclusive would probably anger so many people, more at the fact a series known for pushing the envelope on expansive worlds would be handicapped on the weaker machine. What a bummer that would be.

If it is Fallout 4, there are going to be so many meltdowns. In a way, I'm kind of interested to see the reactions to an announcement like that, but I'd still rather have that Bethesda title as a new IP if it's going to be exclusive on anything. It wouldn't sting as much that way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Is it finally happening?

Well, there's going to be a Doom 4 beta sometime soon, right?

Edit: I mention this because unannounced doesn't mean "has never been announced" in this context, it means "Twitch isn't confirming the game's identity at this time".

Tecl0n

I have to thank the talk of the divinity games yesterday, i'm currently without a gpu and realized i had divine divinity on my gog account. I'm having a blast.

Salsa

they issued a statement saying they werent gonna talk about Fallout 4 for a while right? or something like that

or like, their next "really big project". which is obviously Fallout 4

Dishonored 2 baby. GOAT

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Haven't been following the rumors but that sounds highly unlikely. Maybe it could work as a timed exclusive for a few months but anything else would probably cause a lot of anger and I am unsure if Bethesda would really benefit from it.

Edit: I mention this because unannounced doesn't mean "has never been announced" in this context, it means "Twitch isn't confirming the game's identity at this time".

Yeah, I though that it was going to be a game that has not been announced so I ruled out Doom initially.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm currently playing Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter and I came across a very strange thing right now:

That Reeban Electro-Fish enemy is usually 11ft long (according to NETRICSA) but this one looks more like 40ft!
That encounter was very creepy, it didn't help that the enemy didn't move at all (only the "idle" animation) and I couldn't shoot it.

Is this a strange bug? Maybe some model scaling glitch?

Dopefish on crack most likely.

Grief.exe

And the fact that Fallout 1 and 2 all started on PC and are still considered to be some of the best RPGs of all time.

The meltdowns would be legendary.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What was J's security bit about Indie Gala or whatever bundle that isn't Humble Bundle's problem again?

Volimar

Let us have our dreams Stump!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom