• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Well, not everyone likes South Park.
Also, is the megagivers 3 month rule in effect?
Pretty sure that counts me out for megagivers, for example.
(Not that I entered for SP)

There are probably only 10-20 people that qualify for the within 3 month rule. I get the sense that the mass givers are usually the same group of people. Only Stumpokapow has that information readily on hand though.

It's a shit game that people try to dump on others through modbot. Stump saw fit to warn people.

Is there an exemption for Bad Rats? Because that title is an institution the forms the bedrock of Modbot giveaways. ;)

These buy order things are pretty confusing, imo.
image.php

Lol, man I love Firefly.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really understand the Bad Rats thing in this thread. Can someone explain?

(Click image for a link to the store page)

It's a mediocre game that is often discounted by the developer, then given away here as a gag gift; especially in mystery giveaways.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I don't really understand the Bad Rats thing in this thread. Can someone explain?

It's an underrated game that GAFfers give away so more people can experience it, since it usually gets overlooked. As you can see here, it has a Metacritic user score of 8.1.

It's a shit game, but it has cards at least.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Now I'm curious. Stump, do you mind sharing which games are in this category?

This is is the first page or so of the bad games list. The vast majority of them have metacritic scores far south of 50:
ride to hell
infestation
survivor stories
warz
postal
rogue warrior
tunnel rats
rekoil
takedown
red sabre
sanctum of slime
damnation
deep black
montague
dino horde
dead horde
miner wars
trapped dead
twin sector
the cartel
unearthed
alien hallway
zombie pirates
alien shooter
zombie shooter
bad rats
bad bots
rush bros
ripd
r.i.p.d
exodus from the earth

There are some others after that. Nothing was "my opinion only", it's all grounded in terrible overall reviews and reception.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Alien Rage is somewhere in the 40-50s due to serious bugs, lack of options, and performance issues at launch. The developers fixed the issues and it's around a 60-80 game depending on what you value in a game. So please don't include it with the shit list, Stump.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I doubt many here even know Tunnel Rats exists let alone have thought about giving it away, haha. Only 6 of the 548 people on my friends list have it. That's barely more than 1%.

Salsa

that Ass Creed 4 thread of everyone with better rigs than me not being able to run it at 60fps is pushing me out of buying it

i'll look into it some more, but it's probably the one big game I wanna get the most, or up there

gafer there saying "I only have a 2 gig 680 so consistent 30fps was a win for me" WHAT

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
that Ass Creed 4 thread of everyone with better rigs than me not being able to run it at 60fps is pushing me out of buying it

Set PhysX to low, dial down a few settings and you'll be okay. It was perfectly playable for me (low of ~50fps in Havana) before the PhysX patch... but I maxed out the effects anyway and kept on truckin'. Annoyingly the patch also introduced ApeX-based cloth physics, which is independent of the PhysX setting and cannot be disabled.

Caerith

i'll look into it some more, but it's probably the one big game I wanna get the most, or up there

gafer there saying "I only have a 2 gig 680 so consistent 30fps was a win for me" WHAT

Is that from that developer whose PC optimization strategy is "who cares?"

Trejik

Bad Rats is an awful game, so people try to trick other people into getting it into their library where they're stuck with it.

It's a mediocre game that is often discounted by the developer, then given away here as a gag gift; especially in mystery giveaways.

It's an underrated game that GAFfers give away so more people can experience it, since it usually gets overlooked. As you can see here, it has a Metacritic user score of 8.1.

It's a shit game, but it has cards at least.

Looked it up. Looks amazing. 10/10. Thanks for info.

Big thanks to Atraveller for Gunpoint! So generous before the sale!

Despite having very little soccer knowledge, Lords of Football is actually pretty fun. I just sim the games, but the training/nighttime stuff is pretty Sim-Like.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/

So it looks like a couple of Slitherine published games have quietly been added to the Steam store without any real announcement or fanfare. Distant Worlds with its four expansions all in one package is available on Steam now along with Pandora: First Contact. I've heard some good things about Distant Worlds, it's a galaxy spanning 4x game, that I've seen a couple of people praise as being one of the best they've played. But at 60$, I'm gonna wait a bit before picking it up.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I call this the "I keep forgetting I have Galapoints" giveaway:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

(Desura) Blue Rose -- MB-53F23A77670256D8
(Steam) Toki Tori -- MB-2C82754120E27DA5 - Taken by Shalashaska
(Desura) Race for the White House -- MB-1BD3F030A161B50A
(Desura) Yury -- MB-6549C197CA818AF9
(Desura) Crazy Belts -- MB-268492F22B8C7406

Has anything good released on the steam in the past month or so? Anything that flew under the radar or doesn't get the AAA attention on the main gaming forum?

I'd check the steam store but one look at the shovelware avalanche on there made me go
ZEJSW.gif

Blizzard

Banned
This is is the first page or so of the bad games list. The vast majority of them have metacritic scores far south of 50:
ride to hell
infestation
survivor stories
warz
postal
rogue warrior
tunnel rats
rekoil
takedown
red sabre
sanctum of slime
damnation
deep black
montague
dino horde
dead horde
miner wars
trapped dead
twin sector
the cartel
unearthed
alien hallway
zombie pirates
alien shooter
zombie shooter
bad rats
bad bots
rush bros
ripd
r.i.p.d
exodus from the earth

There are some others after that. Nothing was "my opinion only", it's all grounded in terrible overall reviews and reception.

Thanks. I -think- the only one of those games I have is Twin Sector, and I probably only have it because it has a female protagonist and hey, if you're going to play a crappy Portal-esque scifi game, at least you can be a lady.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it hasn't gone on sale in yonks. It was one of the games I bought with my Motor Rock money earlier in the year.

I decided to take a look at the store page for Bad Rats to see why everyone thinks it's terrible, and now I see why: it's a game about killing cats.

I don't care what the gameplay is. Fuck that premise to hell and back.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Has anything good released on the steam in the past month or so? Anything that flew under the radar or doesn't get the AAA attention on the main gaming forum?

I'd check the steam store but one look at the shovelware avalanche on there made me go
ZEJSW.gif

Always Sometimes Monsters came out about a month ago, back on May 21st. It's a good story based game driven by moral choices, though it's definitely not a game that everyone would enjoy.

Altazor

-Steam Summer Sale begins tomorrow! I hope my body wallet is ready.

-My rig isn't powerful enough to play some of the newer games. Aw shit. Maybe I'll be able to enjoy AC4 and Watch Dogs next year... maybe. I just hope I can have a more powerful PC by the time of Witcher 3's release. I NEED to play that one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

ZEJSW.gif

Since the beginning of May, here's a list of every game on Steam that's got an 80+ metacritic:
Rise of Nations EE
Freespace 2
The Floor is Jelly
Transistor
Wolfenstein The New Order
Battleblock Theatre

75-80 indies:
Always Sometimes Monsters
A Story about My Uncle
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II

No Metacritic, stuff I've noticed buzz about:
Ouya super mega-hit Knightmare Tower
All the Tex Murphy games
Lifeless Planet came out of Early Access
BIT.TRIP Flux (the last Wii Bit.Trip game)
Richard and Alice
Ouya mega-hit Meltdown
8-Bit Commando
The Stomping Land
The Forest
Among the Sleep
Where is My Heart
ibb & obb
A-Train 9
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Heavy Bullets

The Forest

The Forest is much better now, even with one rather large patch. They mostly fixed the long loading times and microstuttering in-game, added more varied and random enemy encounters as well as locations, and fixed all the saving issues it has.

Personally I'm waiting for the no enemy mode or whatever until I next dive in, right now I think the games main strength is just relaxing and letting all the flora and fauna sink in.

denx

GTA V pre-order up tomorrow with a -33% discount in the first day of the sale amirite.

better not, that would destroy my seal budget.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just had to call an ambulance for a guest, that was fun >_>

DISAGREE. :p

--

I know my webm uploads are eagerly anticipated, but for anyone who likes twin stick shooters and would like to see some sample Crimsonland gameplay from my first time in survival mode, here it is (2 parts, I will edit part 2 in momentarily):
Part 1: http://a.pomf.se/tdcroi.webm
Part 2: http://a.pomf.se/eyraty.webm

I have seen NO mentions of this after I posted it. :(
Seriously... like twin stick shooter type games? CRIMSONLAND is FANTASTIC.

I usually try to think up something different these days when I recommend stuff on Steam... here's what I posted about Crimsonland:

9 of 10 people (90%) found this review helpful

Recommended
21 hrs last two weeks / 21 hrs on record

"Let's paint the town red tonight!" you say.
I say, "Friend, you're not thinking big enough..."

LET'S PAINT THE PLANET RED

*Disclaimer: I don't really have 21 hours, some of that is card idling time.
But watch the webm files up there. Then go buy the game. Otherwise, the only person you're hurting is yourself. :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ouch. What happened?

old lady not feeling well, calls reception and ends the call with "...help me" o_O

probably just high blood pressure or some other shit, her husband is in the hospital and thats why shes staying here, but still... fucking paramedics barely spoke english too

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Speaking of Metacritic, they're starting to bounce a lot of Enhanced Steam's data requests as "HTTP/1.0 429 Unknown", meaning basically that there are too many requests.

You guys may notice the "0"s showing up for some of the user scores when browsing Steam.

I'm going to have to improve the server's metacritic-user-score-caching functions. *sigh*

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Speaking of Metacritic, they're starting to bounce a lot of Enhanced Steam's data requests as "HTTP/1.0 429 Unknown", meaning basically that there are too many requests.

You guys may notice the "0"s showing up for some of the user scores when browsing Steam.

I'm going to have to improve the server's metacritic-user-score-caching functions. *sigh*

Cache anything with a release date over a year old permanently. Metacritic user scores aren't super valuable, but realistically any change after the first year of release is going to be even less valuable.

Myshkin

-Steam Summer Sale begins tomorrow! I hope my body wallet is ready.

-My rig isn't powerful enough to play some of the newer games. Aw shit. Maybe I'll be able to enjoy AC4 and Watch Dogs next year... maybe. I just hope I can have a more powerful PC by the time of Witcher 3's release. I NEED to play that one.

I've got 26 Gabens and 4 credit cards.
Bring it on.
Should be plenty; I, as well, am not ready for modern games until the 800-series comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom