• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddocks

Hi,

I am giveaway a few games. Please read the notes below:

Bastion should have no problems with the key. So please don't worry if you submit a request.

A few warnings about the other keys. These were somehow left unused from a previous Modbot submission, so I don't exactly know if Stumpokapow has raffled them off when cleaning Modbot's queue. I am really sorry if they have been taken, Steam doesn't offer a way to check the validity of keys.

Yeah, Enclave key was taken. No worries though.

This thread moves too fast for me already and it's not even sale thread!

Handicaps seem rather severe. There are no ways through technology or culture or some other means around them?

The faction bonuses and penalties just makes your playstyle kind of fixed and limited. You have decided at the start of the game how you will play and there's no adapting based off of what you encounter in game. It's not like Civ where you can switch to warmongering when your culture victory run fails. As the Terra Salvum, I probably can't fight an aggressive war without having a significant numerical and technological advantage but I'd have no problem fighting on the defensive. By virtue of expanding as much as I have I now control 33% of Pandora's population. There's still plenty of territory to expand to so I can probably block off a military victory if I can hold all of my cities.

There is no culture in this game, basically think of it being like Civ V with no policies, no espionage, no religion or ideologies. There's just research. You basically start the game off with your ideology when you pick your faction. Pandora feels like a limited sci-fi version of Civ V vanilla. Trade agreements are just dialogues with other leaders. You don't establish land or sea trade routes, you don't have a religion or ideology binding various factions together against others. It's a lot like Civ V vanilla with a bunch of assholes just duking it out to win. Pandora is kind of limited and game-y.

One interesting thing has happened though, at a certain turn the previous owners of Pandora (or maybe those who wiped its previous inhabitants out) have returned. Haven't encountered them yet, they landed closer to the warmonger than they did to me. Dunno if it's a purely hostile faction or if I can research my way up to communicating with them.

Also the tech tree and units are kind of fun. I'm making bipedal tanks with laser arms, tanks with lasers, missile turrets or mortars, heavy armor storm troopers armed with rocket launchers and flamethrowers that kinda look like the bastard lovechild of the Master Chief and Space Marines.

The game also runs very well. Civ V tends to get a little bogged down the more turns you get into a game but then there's also significantly less for the game to calculate with there only being six factions and some xeno's scuttling about. I kinda miss city-states or Endless Legends sub-factions.

It's worse than Alien Resurrection and both AvP movies imo. Something which I thought is impossible but it combines shite gameplay with a superstupid story that craps all over Aliens and Alien³. My god, I feel the anger building up inside. Think happy thoughts. THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS.

DISAGREE. :p

--

I know my webm uploads are eagerly anticipated, but for anyone who likes twin stick shooters and would like to see some sample Crimsonland gameplay from my first time in survival mode, here it is (2 parts, I will edit part 2 in momentarily):
Part 1: http://a.pomf.se/tdcroi.webm
Part 2: http://a.pomf.se/eyraty.webm

hohoXD123

Hi,

I am giveaway a few games. Please read the notes below:

Bastion should have no problems with the key. So please don't worry if you submit a request.

A few warnings about the other keys. These were somehow left unused from a previous Modbot submission, so I don't exactly know if Stumpokapow has raffled them off when cleaning Modbot's queue. I am really sorry if they have been taken, Steam doesn't offer a way to check the validity of keys.

Started Bastion on my iPad but wanted to pick it up on PC at some point for the controls, so thanks a lot!

Parsnip

Eh, that's not so bad, you should see some Latin American prices
PS4 is USD1200
Yup.
It was more about the game prices on consoles actually, I probably should have specified. :p
I played through Murdered just yesterday and got it for about 20euros. Even thinking about a game costing 70euros is nuts.

Jawmuncher

It's worse than Alien Resurrection and both AvP movies imo. Something which I thought is impossible but it combines shite gameplay with a superstupid story that craps all over Aliens and Alien³. My god, I feel the anger building up inside. Think happy thoughts. THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS.

I took the story as a comic issue and had no issues with it. But then again I enjoy alien resurrection for what it is, so yeah.

yuraya

Buy orders were a great thing in EVE online. Props to Valve for implementing this feature. I hope they rapidly expand it. It will clean up quite a lot of prices that are ridiculously high and/or low. It will also create a lot of healthy liquidity in the steam market.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
less than 30mins left

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

t1cxE6r.gif
South Park: The Stick of Truth -- MB-408CF7A7555F5804 - Taken by Diedac

t1403141229z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The new market update broke this, so I fixed it
and made it better

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
These buy orders... I don't know.

I just put in a buy order for 4 G-man cards for $0.09 each (for testing the buy order totals in Enhanced Steam).

Instead it automatically purchased 4 G-man cards for $0.18 each. Yikes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anyone notice on GMG for Ultra Street Fighter IV Upgrade it says

"NOTE: You must own Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition to utilize this content. Digital Upgrade does not include any additional DLC costumes."

does that mean we don't get the "challenger's pack" dlc that comes when you preorder it normally?

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/ultra-street-fighter-iv-upgrade/

i asked that earlier and someone said that it probably means you dont get all the old ass super costumes that you get with the full version of ultra

probably :p

I'm probably gonna have to turn TW3 down to 30fps and/or Medium/High settings with my 660 GTX. I'll probably upgrade during the fall of the next year, unless I decide to skip out on Halo 2 Anniversary and the Xbone this november after all.

jshackles

.... that's not good.

On the plus side, buying the cards you need to craft multiple levels of a badge should be much easier now.

EDIT: lost $0.25 on that little bug after selling the cards back.

jshackles

Didn't realize that... but right now it only works for HL2, right?

Yep, for the moment.

People are going to flip their shit when they do this for TF2 keys.

jshackles

I'll be putting a buy order in then. ;)
Surprised that's not where they started...

I suspect it has to do with volume and price. For example, my buy order bugged and I lost $0.25. If I put in a buy order for 10 TF2 keys and it accidentally doubled my buy order price, I would have lost $25: meaning I would be putting in a support ticket to get my money back.

Rhaknar

38 entrants for Stick of Truth seems...low

That megagiver rule really that much of a wall? Seems almost impossible these days to not have given away 25 games with the ammount of bundles every week

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Sleeping dogs is one of the games that takes on a genre dominated by a single IP, GTA in this case, and carves out it's own niche instead of just being an imitation. The game is influenced by, and replicates quite successfully, Martial Arts and Police action films from Hong Kong and Thailand. In fact, many of the unlockable costumes and later DLC are parodies of the famous movies it was inspired by.

Mechanically, the game focuses on martial arts based fighting, allowing various knives, sticks and other etc if the player needs an edge. Guns exist, but they are consumable items, thrown away by the main character once bereft of ammo. The violence is turned up to exploitation levels by Wei Shin, the protagonist. Ramming heads into AC fan blades, beating them with public payphones, impaling them on meat hooks, using table saws, are just some of the environmental kills that the game offers the player in his quest to earn the respect and ultimately take down the triad gangs of Hong Kong as an undercover police officer. This over the top violence is even experienced by Wei himself in a moment of black comedy. With cars, the action movie influence doesn't stop. Stealing cars is a more action oriented version of what Far Cry 4 is attempting to do now, with Wei ignoring the laws of physics as he leaps from his car to that of the victims. Chase scenes in missions allow Wei to fire weapons at enemies while recklessly breaking the speed limit, accurate shots to the tires causing other cars to immediately flip and roll like in a typical movie production.

Grand Theft Auto IV was the biggest kid on the block and the developers used the game as a template for their own, sometimes to ill effect. Just as IV introduced 'Girlfriends' mainly as side missions, and add a chance for Rockstar to joke about the fallout from the Hot Coffee scandal, SD uses a similar mechanic. But unlike IV, the Girlfriends in SD are mostly wasted, only appearing once or twice as main missions to introduce some of the game mechanics to the player. One exception being a optional side mission involving one of the girls, which gives a unprecedented amount on animus to what are usually background distractions. Some bad practices in IV, like the inability to use a menu to change car colors instead forcing the players to cycle through the entire selection, is not improved upon in Sleeping Dogs. A odd over site considering that the game offers a selection menu for players to quickly change Wei Shin's outfit. Just as GTA had various types of side missions, SD does not disappoint. Karaoke, with samples that allow you to sing along to the Clash (so you know the developers have great taste) and other classic songs, Stealing cars for profit, gambling on cock fights, and fighting in back alley tournaments are some of the activities that Sleeping Dog offers. There is also a reputation mechanic wherein Wei learns new skills from two trees by gaining either Triad or Police points during missions. It works pretty well, with reckless actions toward innocent civilians and property increasing the former's points and clean runs increasing the latter. The only issue is that it is hard to grind Triad points outside of missions, so you might want to wear clothes that amplify Triad points if you wish to unlock certain abilities faster and or unlock related achievements.

This is mainstream thread, so it would be inappropriate to post the fighting and execution images, sorry.

I thought someone else should enjoy the title, so here you go:

The giveaway can now be located here.

Good luck!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

That megagiver rule really that much of a wall? Seems almost impossible these days to not have given away 25 games with the ammount of bundles every week

It's a three hour giveaway on a Wednesday night the day before the summer sale (so the least useful time to read the Steam thread) on a day where tons of other people gave away tons of other stuff. Can't get 100 entrants on all of them!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Though they weren't named, I'm sure a fair number of people got called out in the recent events and if they weren't actually guilty, they probably felt guilty with intent.

Khronico

I was gonna enter but I wasn't sure if my computer could run it.

Turfster

Well, not everyone likes South Park.
Also, is the megagivers 3 month rule in effect?
Pretty sure that counts me out for megagivers, for example.
(Not that I entered for SP)

As someone said before, almost everyone can be a megagiver with a couple of bundles (max. $10.00). So I would say no, that doesn't explain the low number of entrants.

Caerith

It's a three hour giveaway on a Wednesday night the day before the summer sale (so the least useful time to read the Steam thread) on a day where tons of other people gave away tons of other stuff. Can't get 100 entrants on all of them!
Probably doesn't help that GAF has been up and down today, either.

Stump, could you tell us how many givers there are vs how many megagivers? Within the three month window, I mean.

derExperte

Does the number include everything, even entries not valid? I got a game earlier long after the countdown was done and it suddenly said '4 entrants'. So it would be even less 'real' participants (I probably got kicked out by the 3 month rule).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom