• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

kiupoq.gif

online better be fixed

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What was J's security bit about Indie Gala or whatever bundle that isn't Humble Bundle's problem again?

When Indie Gala first got their "redeem directly to this account" system set up, giving the links out would expose the person who redeemed it's email address. So if you redeemed a link that was publicly available, everyone would know it was you and would be able to see your email address by clicking on the link after you redeemed it.

The issue has since been resolved it would seem.

Salsa

PC community will be dead within the week. Better off getting on PS4.

wut

says who

good fighting games have active online communities on PC just fine. MK9 sold really well on Steam and the only reason the community is "dead" is because the game is damn unplayable

plenty of people in SF4 and Skullgirls to this day mayne

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
PC community will be dead within the week. Better off getting on PS4.

Last time I checked on Steamcharts there were close to a thousand concurrent players for MK9. Doesn't sound dead to me

Lomax

kiupoq.gif

online better be fixed

Seems unlikely honestly. Did we ever even get a single patch for MK9? I bought MK9 day one for the PC release and don't regret it as I only cared about the single player experience (which I loved), but I'll definitely be waiting for a sale on MKX
unless I can get it for $22 on GMG again.

Salsa

Seems unlikely honestly. Did we ever even get a single patch for MK9? I bought MK9 day one for the PC release and don't regret it as I only cared about the single player experience (which I loved), but I'll definitely be waiting for a sale on MKX
unless I can get it for $22 on GMG again.

no, but to be fair it was a late port and they acknowledged the issues. Injustice PC is apparently already better in that aspect.

them announcing this for PC same day as they do for consoles gives me hope that they'll take it more seriously since the demand is there

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What was J's security bit about Indie Gala or whatever bundle that isn't Humble Bundle's problem again?

I expressed concern that I was bothered by the fact that Steam has no way on Steam's side to prohibit sites from continuing to read your account data once you've linked, and so even though IndiaGala theoretically allows you to disconnect your account, I have no reason to trust them. Now, as for what they're actually able to read, it's really just your profile ID, but still. jshackles had noted that the account linking does not give them access to very much at all.

Salsa

Me, i own all fighting games on Steam and they are all dead except for SF4. If you are not american then good luck.

im in freakin Uruguay and I play Skullgirls all day erry day

you can't blame people for not playing MK9 when the net code is atrocious, and the others already played hours of it on consoles before it came to PC as a late port

saying there's no audience or community for fighting games on PC is dumb. Then why do they suddenly put them all on Steam?

Card Boy

Banned
Also WB have being terrible at online games for years now, i doubt it will get fixed on PC. If its not working day 1 it wont get fixed.

If Fallout 4 goes console exclusive I will break something. Probably more than one thing.

Why would it? Skyrim has being huge on PC. I doubt Beshitda will throw that away.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
When Indie Gala first got their "redeem directly to this account" system set up, giving the links out would expose the person who redeemed it's email address. So if you redeemed a link that was publicly available, everyone would know it was you and would be able to see your email address by clicking on the link after you redeemed it.

The issue has since been resolved it would seem.

Oh, so I can give to modbot without my e-mail/their e-mails being shown?

Locust

jFyGaBO.png

Valve strikes with yet another retroactive region lock. I'd be pissed if it actually worked (I suppose it fizzed out because the 4-pack user was from a ROW region, have to test tomorrow).

JakeD

ok i was disappointed when indiegala switched to the humble style key redemption...but i just bought two bundles and added 10 games to my account in about 2 minutes. activating keys in the client takes about a minute (or longer) each. i definitely think i prefer this system now. and thats coming from someone who has had their humble account hacked with my steam acct linked.

Salsa

MK9 still did well and it was an awful fighting game in a lot of ways.

what ways?

I think it was the best Mortal Kombat ever, MK2 being close

which might not be saying much for some, but it still stands. It was a nice break from Street Fighter. I still play it with a bud who hates SF. It's just dumb and fun. Granted I never took it so seriously so if you get into specifics or very competitive online play (wish I could..) it might be borked I guess.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That would be weird since even old pc games have people playing it.

Not really. KoF '13 was dead right after it left closed-beta. Utterly insane how that population dropped from 4,000 to "4,000 people used to play this... Now it's a ghost town."

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
MK9 still did well and it was an awful fighting game in a lot of ways.

If MKX is actually good I'm sure it will be well supported.

I can think of some reasons which would make someone not like it but calling it an awful game is a bit of a stretch.

Salsa

Not really. KoF '13 was dead right after it left closed-beta. Utterly insane how that population dropped from 4,000 to "4,000 people used to play this... Now it's a ghost town."

I think that's a somewhat valid point

and I say somewhat in the sense that KOF is still a much more niche game than SF/MK, and certainly a lot harder to get into. People who go into it trying to do a fireball and not much else are gonna be immediatly put off by the game having more than one fucking jump even, hah.

I bought it at release and I could play a match last week, but I see what you're saying

the real surprise and proof is how well Skullgirls did and how many people are (apparently, for me in terms of finding matches, didnt check numbers) still playing it

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh, so I can give to modbot without my e-mail/their e-mails being shown?

I just checked the IndieGala links I gave away over Modbot earlier today, and they appear to be fine. You can still see the redeeming user's Steam name, but you no longer see their email address.

And being Modbot (where the links aren't public, but only shared with the giver and receiver) you should be perfectly fine. :)

Garcia

It's been a week and I still can't quit on Super House of Dead Ninjas.

Those "Ninja difficulty" cheevos are brutal to get! Game's got some long legs.

Thank you for the post. There is lot to be learned here. Me gripe is more with the level of bloodlust or indecision my enemies have, but yup, I clearly am not as in control as you. It was interesting.

If you think of the A.I. Civ's as petulant 12 year olds, a few of which are gently retarded while the rest are just vicious little cunts that will grow up to be sociopaths, it makes dealing with and understanding them a little easier.

It's nice to have a goal like a culture victory in mind when you start playing but your immediate neighbours and what they do will impact or outright change that goal. The more Civ you play, the more you get familiar with its rogues gallery. You will cultivate game spanning hatred for some of these Civs.

I can think of some reasons which would make someone not like it but calling it an awful game is a bit of a stretch.

I called it an awful fighting game.

what ways?

Granted I never took it so seriously so if you get into specifics or very competitive online play (wish I could..) it might be borked I guess.

These ways. I realise some people support it strongly and that is my point. If they added things like better netcode, improved controls/responsiveness and actual character animation it could be a huge game.

Lomax

Yeah. I kinda wish there was more of a shitstorm about this bullshit but it never gains momentum.

There never will be, because it only impacts an extremely small portion of the user base, and Valve/Publishers can say that most of the people who it does affect are trying to misuse the system.

I called it an awful fighting game.

These ways. I realise some people support it strongly and that is my point. If they added things like better netcode, improved controls/responsiveness and actual character animation it could be a huge game.

The character animation and controls in MK9 were great. Now if you want to talk horrible animation, go play Injustice. :p

I don't know how the PC netcode is, but the console netcode was hit/miss -- it's a shame most developers won't just pay to license GGPO and go from there.

----

Y'know what happens when DmC comes up, as it did earlier...
I get to thinking about Capcom and outsourcing remakes or reboots of storied franchises to western developers.
And if I had to guess who would have made the worst of all of them, I would've originally guessed Ninja Theory.
But in the end (not having played ORC, but hearing mostly negative things about it), it seems to me that the NT ended up making the best of the 3 I'm currently thinking of (with Double Helix almost undoubtedly making the worst).

MUnited83

For you.
There never will be, because it only impacts an extremely small portion of the user base, and Valve/Publishers can say that most of the people who it does affect are trying to misuse the system.

They can region lock it all they want, but at least create a new sub for it. Retroactive locking is completely retarded, especially after all this time. Several thousand trades have been made with it and there was no way to tell the origin of your copy.

mr_tc

Won earlier (thanks The_Super_Inframan), so here is a giveaway. Hopefully I did this right.

ModBot said:
Instructions for mr_tc:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Subject 9 -- MB-139ABA88F35EE5FE - Taken by bornlivedie. 3 entrants total.
Unearthed Trail of Ibn Battuta Episode 1 Gold Edition -- MB-F44251681C72E710 - Taken by factorone. 6 entrants total.
The Desolate Hope -- MB-DBF7B5CB2B316F57 - Taken by oipic. 7 entrants total.

t1401764896z1.png

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
jshackles:
Looks fine, but personally I'd prefer to combine those notification tags as much as possible. Like, take GTA4. It has three banners right now. This will add a fourth. There's gotta be a way to avoid that.
Eh, GTAIV has such an absurd amount of DRM that it totally deserves having a gazillion red warning banners.

kiupoq.gif

online better be fixed
Hopefully they fix the hair too.

Authority

Banned
For those that are interested, I had quite an eye-opening day.

• I installed Windows 8.1 and I thought what the fuck is this shit.
  • Reinstalled to Windows 7 Pro.
  • Installed 14.4 AMD Catalyst and then installed all Windows Updates.
  • Installed Mozilla Firefox but did not install Java, only Flash Plug In.
  • Used Disk Clean to remove Windows.old folder.
  • Installed ESET Nod32, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and the fantastic Revo Pro Uninstaller (removes completely a program by deleting all its registry folders,files,ect).
  • Allowed Nod32 to perform its first-time scan and removed all schedule scans apart from the updates.
  • Installed Daemon Lite.
  • Installed CCleaner Slim.
  • Modify some stuff in the balance power plan but did not change minimum processor state.
  • Did not change the Update Speed through Windows Task Manager.
  • Did not download Razor Booster.
  • Did not allow any shortcuts to appear in the Desktop or Start Menu apart from Killer is Dead.
And read the following articles,

Why Memory Optimizers and RAM Boosters Are Worse Than Useless

Many companies want to sell you “memory optimizers,” often as part of “PC optimization” programs. These programs are worse than useless — not only will they not speed up your computer, they’ll slow it down.

Such programs take advantage of inexperienced users, making false promises about boosting performance. In reality, your computer knows how to manage RAM on its own. It will use RAM to increase your computer’s performance — there’s no point in having RAM sit empty.

Is Your Computer’s RAM Filling Up? That’s Good!

Memory optimizers are based on a misunderstanding. You may look at your computer’s RAM and see it filling up — for example, you may have 4 GB of RAM and see that 3 GB is full with only 1 GB to spare. That can be surprising to some people — look how bloated modern versions of Windows are! How are you ever going to run additional programs with so little memory available?

In reality, modern operating systems are pretty good at managing memory on their own. That 3 GB of used RAM doesn’t necessarily indicate waste. Instead, your computer uses your RAM to cache data for faster access. Whether it’s copies of web pages you had open in your browser, applications you previously opened, or any other type of data you might need again soon, your computer hangs onto it in its RAM. When you need the data again, your computer doesn’t have to hit your hard drive — it can just load the files from RAM.

Crucially, there’s no point in having RAM empty. Even if your RAM is completely full and your computer needs more of it to run an application, your computer can instantly discard the cached data from your RAM and use that space for the application. There’s no point in having RAM sit empty — if it’s empty, it’s being wasted. If it’s full, there’s a good chance it can help speed up program loading times and anything else that would use your computer’s hard drive.

Notice that very little RAM is actually “free” in the screenshot below. The RAM is being used as a cache, but it’s still marked as available for any program that needs to use it.
windows-task-manager-free-vs-cached.png

In the past, full RAM did indicate a problem. If you were running Windows Vista on a computer with half a gig of RAM, you could feel the computer constantly slowing down — it had to constantly read and write to the hard drive, using the hard drive’s page file as an inefficient replacement for RAM. However, modern computers generally have enough RAM for most users. Even low-end computers generally ship with 4GB of RAM, which should be more than enough unless you’re doing intensive gaming, running multiple virtual machines, or editing videos.

Even if RAM was a problem for you, there’s no reason to use a memory optimizer. Memory optimizers are snake oil that are useless at best and harmful at worst.

How Memory Optimizers Work

When you use a memory optimizer, you’ll see your computer’s RAM usage go down. This may seem like an easy win — you’ve decreased RAM usage just be pressing a button, after all. But it’s not that simple.

Memory optimizers actually work in one of two ways:

They call the EmptyWorkingSet Windows API function, forcing running applications to write their working memory to the Windows page file.
They quickly allocate a large amount of memory to themselves, forcing Windows to discard cached data and write application data to the page file. They then deallocate the memory, leaving it empty.

Both of these tricks will indeed free up RAM, making it empty. However, all this does is slow things down — now the applications you use will have to get the data they need from the page file, reading from the hard drive and taking longer to work. Any memory being used for cache may be discarded, so Windows will have to get the data it needs from the hard drive.

In other words, these programs free up fast memory by forcing data you need onto slower memory, where it will have to be moved back to fast memory again. This makes no sense! All it accomplishes is selling you another system optimization program you don’t need.

PC Cleaning Apps are a Scam: Here’s Why (and How to Speed Up Your PC)

If Windows needs RAM, it will push data to the page file or discard cached data, anyway. This all happens automatically when it needs to — there’s no point in slowing things down by forcing it to happen before it’s necessary.

Like PC cleaning apps, memory optimizers are a scam. They appear to be doing something positive to people who don’t understand how memory management works, but they’re actually doing something harmful.

How to Actually “Optimize” Your Memory

If you do want to have more available RAM, skip the memory optimizer. Instead, try to get rid of running applications you don’t need — purge unnecessary programs from your system tray, disable useless startup programs, and so on.

If you do need more RAM for what you do, try buying some more RAM. RAM is pretty cheap and it’s not too hard to install it yourself using one of the RAM installing guides available online. Just ensure you buy the correct type of RAM for your computer.

Yes, memory optimizers can free up some of your PC’s RAM. However, that’s a bad thing — you want your computer to use its RAM to speed things up. There’s no point in having free memory.

Credits to How to Geek

10 Types of System Tools and Optimization Programs You Don’t Need on Windows

Windows users see advertisements for all sorts of system tools and optimization utilities. It’s easy for companies to tell you that you absolutely have to run these tools, but you don’t need most of the junk on offer.

Using these system tools just slows downs your computer, wastes your time, and makes your life more complicated. Simplify your life and skip these system tools — you only need the essentials.

Registry Cleaner

You don’t have to clean your registry. Okay, there are some scenarios where a registry cleaner could theoretically fix a problem — but these are few and far between. Registry cleaner companies often promise that registry cleaners will speed up your PC and fix any crash you encounter, but they won’t. Running a registry cleaner once per week will likely cause more problems than it fixes. The registry is massive, and erasing even a few thousand tiny entries won’t speed your computer up.

If you must use a registry cleaner, use the registry cleaner built into CCleaner and skip all the paid registry cleaners produced by shady companies.

PC Cleaner

“PC cleaning” utilities are another worthless category of software. Like registry cleaners, they’re advertised on banner ads all over the web — there are even daytime TV advertisements for expensive PC cleaning software.

We’ve covered why PC-cleaning software programs are generally scams. Sure, you can free up space and maybe even speed up your PC by deleting temporary files — but you can do that with the free CCleaner application or even the Disk Cleanup tool included with Windows. Skip the paid applications, which probably won’t work as well as the free alternatives.

Memory Optimizer

Windows doesn’t need help “optimizing” or “boosting” your computer’s memory. RAM optimizers might have made some sense back in the days of Windows 95 when Windows had bad memory management and computers had tiny amounts of memory, but they’re now worse than useless. Using a memory optimizer will actually slow down your PC as it discards useful cache files from your RAM. Modern operating systems are designed to use up your memory — this speeds everything up.

We’ve covered exactly why memory optimizers aren’t helpful in the past. Let Windows take care of memory on its own. If you want to free up memory, close some programs — don’t use a memory optimizer.

Driver Cleaner

There was a time when driver cleaners were useful pieces of software, but they aren’t anymore. You don’t need to clean your drivers, so avoid the paid driver cleaners that promise they can fix all your PC problems. You should even avoid the old free driver cleaner utilities, which haven’t been updated in years because they’re no longer useful.

While you’re at it, don’t bother installing updated drivers at all unless they arrive via Windows Update — it’s not worth the trouble unless you’re experiencing a problem that you know the new drivers will fix. The one exception is graphics drivers — you’ll want to keep those updated for maximum performance if you’re a PC gamer.

Game Booster

Your system doesn’t need to be “optimized” for games by a game booster program. Game boosters promise to speed up your PC games by halting background processes for you, but we benchmarked one and found no real difference in real-world gaming performance.

Sure, if you’re downloading via BitTorrent or using a demanding application in the background while playing a PC game, things will slow down — but you can deal with this by pausing your downloads and shutting down any heavy programs before playing games. Skip the game booster.

Separate Defragmentation Program

Windows has a built-in defragmentation tool that’s more than good enough — and it automatically defragments your hard drives for you in the background when necessary. If you’re an average Windows user, you don’t even need to run a defragmentation program manually — nevermind installing a third-party defragmentation program.

SSD Optimizer

Faced with the rise of solid-state drives, which don’t require defragmentation, defragmentation software companies have dipped their toes into the “SSD optimization” software waters. The idea is that solid-state drives require a program on your computer to optimize them so they can run at their top speed, but there’s no real evidence for this.

Your operating system and the firmware running on the SSD itself do a good enough job of optimizing your SSD on their own. SSD optimization software running on your computer doesn’t even have the low-level access to do a lot of what it promises.

Third-Party Uninstaller

The Windows software uninstallation process isn’t perfect, and it’s true that programs often leave useless files lying around after you uninstall them. To avoid this, some people use third-party uninstallers to erase all the files a program might leave behind.

Third-party uninstallers can certainly help remove some additional useful files, but they’re not worth the hassle for most people. The few files left over generally won’t slow anything down or take up too much space. Unless you install and uninstall a large amount of programs each day, you don’t need a third-party uninstaller. Just uninstall the programs normally and move on with your life.

Update Checker

Windows doesn’t have a standard way of checking for application updates, so every program has to code its own update checker and manage this process itself. Some people attempt to tame this chaos by using a third-party update checker program that will let you know when updates are available for any of your installed programs.

There was a time when these utilities were more useful — for example, Adobe’s Flash Player needs constant updates for security purposes and there was a time when Flash didn’t check for updates on its own. But, these days, any application that needs updating has its own integrated update-checking feature. Windows, browser plug-ins, web browsers themselves, graphics drivers — they’ll all check for updates and automatically install them or prompt you. If a program doesn’t check for updates automatically — like your other hardware drivers — it probably doesn’t need to be updated.

Don’t worry about desktop application updates — install them when prompted, but let your software take care of checking for them on their own.

Outbound Firewall

The desktop firewall industry was worried when Microsoft added a capable firewall to Windows along with Windows XP SP2. They quickly righted themselves by focusing on features the Windows firewall doesn’t have — their third-party firewalls alert you to programs “phoning home” and allow you to micromanage which programs on your computer can access the Internet.

In reality, this feature isn’t very useful. These days, nearly every program “phones home” — if only to check for updates, if not sync your data or access web content. Average Windows users shouldn’t have to decide which applications can and can’t connect to the Internet. If you’re running a program on your computer but don’t trust it enough to allow it access to the Internet — well, you probably shouldn’t be running that program in the first place.

Full Security Suite

Antivirus software is useful, even if you’re careful — the sheer number of zero-day vulnerabilities being found in browser plug-ins like Flash and even browsers themselves make antivirus software a useful layer of defense even for Windows users who keep their software updated and never download applications from untrustworthy websites.

Full security suites are another matter. They pack in every additional feature they can think of — phishing filters, heavy firewalls with lots of knobs and dials, temporary-file cleaning software that considers every browser cookie on your computer a threat, and more. While you should run an antivirus, you don’t need the heavy, expensive, all-encompassing suite of additional tools. If you do need a tool, you can get it separately — for example, if you want a utility to erase temporary files, just use the free CCleaner.

Worst of all, heavy security suites can slow down your computer with all their functions. They also distract you with notification after notification just to remind you that they’re doing something. If they keep pestering you, you’ll think they’re doing something useful and you’ll pay for another subscription when your current one runs out.

Not all third-party system tools are worthless. We’ll be covering the few system tools you actually need to use soon, so stay tuned.

Of course, there are corner cases where many of these programs could be useful. You may want to use a third-party uninstaller to clean up a program that wouldn’t uninstall properly and left a big mess, you may need to prevent an application from accessing the Internet on a locked-down server system, and so on. But we’re not focused on the edge cases — we’re looking at programs marketed to average Windows users and telling you you won’t need to run them constantly, whatever the advertisements say.

I could have chosen Microsoft Essentials instead of ESET but I have been trusting it for many years. This process took me half day because I had to re-install 151 Windows Updates + another more. I also decided not to use CCleaner to remove/fix/repair anything to do with registry so I will only use it to remove general junk.

Anyway I have personally learned my lesson and now I will be more cautious. I am no expert but I hope the information I provided was somewhat useful.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Ugh, me and my girlfriend broke up. =;(

But at least I got a webcam.
Well, now you have full time for the World Cup!
That truly sucks, I'm sorry bro :(

You dun goofed.

mrgone

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't made Gauntlet into a MOBA yet.

Gauntlet does seem an awful lot like the proto-MOBA! Though they hadn't developed the key component of MOBA rage just yet. I guess being within punching distance of teammates might've stunted the potential growth of the genre back then :)

(I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up as a spin-off of Arrowhead's reboot, though.)

Lomax

They can region lock it all they want, but at least create a new sub for it. Retroactive locking is completely retarded, especially after all this time. Several thousand trades have been made with it and there was no way to tell the origin of your copy.

I'm not saying it's right or fair, in fact I think retroactive locking is really bogus, I'm just saying you're never going to hear an outcry because it doesn't affect that many people (I think several thousand is on the high side but even that's pretty small all told), and the ones that it does affect are actively participating in something that the publishers who institute those locks clearly don't want happening.

Grief.exe

There is a slight learning curve coming off older versions of Windows, but Windows 8 is just fine if you give it a chance.

I really don't understand the start button argument all that much, just hit the Windows key and type what you want. That is all I ever do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom