• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

There is a slight learning curve coming off older versions of Windows, but Windows 8 is just fine if you give it a chance.

I really don't understand the start button argument all that much, just hit the Windows key and type what you want. That is all I ever do.

The fact that it takes over an entire screen for no good reason is still rage-inducing.
Fuck you Microsoft, I don't want to use your stupid tiles, I'm just here for the run textbox, so just put that in a corner or something without all the rest of this shit.

Authority

Banned
There is a slight learning curve coming off older versions of Windows, but Windows 8 is just fine if you give it a chance.

I really don't understand the start button argument all that much, just hit the Windows key and type what you want. That is all I ever do.

Yeah that is what I do now.

I had performance issues with Windows 8.1 like you couldn't believe...Not sure if it has to do with the fact that I am still using 4gb Ram (have to upgrade someday >.>) so yeah. I have asked this before but what are the basic steps to clean your PC from dust? I have never done it.

Grief.exe

I had performance issues with Windows 8.1 like you couldn't believe...Not sure if it has to do with the fact that I am still using 4gb Ram (have to upgrade someday >.>) so yeah. I have asked this before but what are the basic steps to clean your PC from dust? I have never done it.

Get a bottle of compressed air and spray inside. I just did a deep clean where I took the whole thing apart and cleaned out each piece, but I also had some other things to do inside my desk.

Windows 8.1 doesn't have a dumpster fire for a BT stack.

Win 8.1 > Win 7.
I actually installed Win 8.1 because Win 7 wouldn't keep my BT connection to my DS4 alive.

Authority

Banned
Get a bottle of compressed air and spray inside. I just did a deep clean where I took the whole thing apart and cleaned out each piece, but I also had some other things to do inside my desk.

This is a stupid question but does the brand matter? And also where exactly do I have to spray? Like every part that has a fan and spray inside the fan?

Grief.exe

D8Zd1W9.jpg

This is a stupid question but does the brand matter? And also where exactly do I have to spray? Like every part that has a fan and spray inside the fan?

You'll figure it out, I guarantee it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Last time I checked on Steamcharts there were close to a thousand concurrent players for MK9. Doesn't sound dead to me

1000 players equals 1 Killzone. That's not bad for a game like MK. Sub 1 Killzone is worrisome. MKX will have at least 10 Killzones concurrent on launch easy, probably 30 if it's a dope port.

derExperte

Anyway I have personally learned my lesson and now I will be more cautious. I am no expert but I hope the information I provided was somewhat useful.

What lesson do you think you learned?

Yeah that is what I do now.

8.1 should actually run better with 4GB RAM than 7. But seriously, buy more if possible (could get too expensive if DDR2)

How playable is Guacamelee with mouse and keyboard?

I would think it would become very difficult as the game goes on... i'm not even sure where the mouse would come in... but I find it best suited to a gamepad.

Apparently there's a poster up there who says it's fine for him though. :)

mrgone

I liked Fallout 4 better back when it was called Tommy Boy.

I liked Tommy Boy better back when Chris Farley was still alive :(

I've been using a laptop running Windows 8.1 for the last month or so and it's definitely grown on me. The start screen is pretty much a wash now, being mostly redundant (as are the apps that live on it) but easy to ignore now that you can search through "everything" just by typing without having to filter with a click or key combo. Overall I prefer the basic clean look of 8.1's UI theme to 7's Aero Glass, and most of the tweaks and extra features are quite nice. I probably won't ever upgrade my desktop to it, but in hindsight I could've definitely gone for the cheap upgrade when what was available. This might just be because I havn't run into any compatibility problems yet, though, which I could see being pretty irritating.

Miguel81

This Mortal Kombat X news(coming to PC) is fantastic. I hope the PC/Steam fighting scene grows enough to get us Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur. Tekken and DOA are not my cup of tea, but the more the merrier.

Tenrius

Is Mafia 2 any good?

It depends on what you want from it. It's a very linear game, heavy on long driving and shooting segments, with beautiful graphics and lots of period exposition. It's pretty good for what it is.

However, some people seem to think that every game that happens to feature an open world should adhere to a sandbox model. Free roam is not encouraged in Mafia II and there's basically nothing to do if you do go for it, the same with L.A. Noire. That tends to upset those people who proceed to say that Mafia II is a bad game because of that. I personally think that it's just a different type of game, a more linear, story-oriented kind experience and that requesting lush sandbox elements in such a production is akin to requesting them in, say, Phoenix Wright.

The only other thing I have to say on the matter is that the fist game does the same thing, but better. I strongly recommend this gem to everyone
who managed to snag it before it was removed from Steam, like I did HAR HAR HAR HAR

Authority

Banned
What lessen do you think you learned?

8.1 should actually run better with 4GB RAM. But seriously, buy more.

Basically when I was younger I used to...lets say fuck up whatever PC/Laptop I owned or had access to. So it took me quite a while to sit down and understand the basics but I have got quite a long way to go.

So the most important lesson for me is not to fuck around with things I don't know or understand. The only thing missing is whether I need to update my Bios but I don't know how to do that.

Yeah, great game. Just don't try to compare it to GTA or Sleeping Dogs because the open world part is pretty lame and there's not much stuff to do. Otherwise it's an excellent game

It depends on what you want from it. It's a very linear game, heavy on long driving and shooting segments, with beautiful graphics and lots of period exposition. It's pretty good for what it is.

However, some people seem to think that every game that happens to feature an open world should adhere to a sandbox model. Free roam is not encouraged in Mafia II and there's basically nothing to do if you do go for it, the same with L.A. Noire. That tends to upset those people who proceed to say that Mafia II is a bad game because of that. I personally think that it's just a different type of game, a more linear, story-oriented kind experience and that requesting lush sandbox elements in such a production is akin to requesting them in, say, Phoenix Wright.

The only other thing I have to say on the matter is that the fist game does the same thing, but better. I strongly recommend this gem to everyone
who managed to snag it before it was removed from Steam, like I did HAR HAR HAR HAR
I think I'll be picking it up, what about the DLCs? Are they worth it?

DogMeat77

Basically when I was younger I used to...lets say fuck up whatever PC/Laptop I owned or had access to. So it took me quite a while to sit down and understand the basics but I have got quite a long way to go.

So the most important lesson for me is not to fuck around with things I don't know or understand. The only thing missing is whether I need to update my Bios but I don't know how to do that.

Updating your BIOS isn't hard but it is typically one of those things you only do if you are experiencing a known issue with the current version you are on. Sans a major issue, there isn't much of a reason to be "bleeding edge" on your bios update. Depending on your particular motherboard, a failed bios flash can be anything from an inconvenience to a nightmare. Good luck.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Subject Nine -- MB-0539244C5F944C22 - Taken by trailmix16. 2 entrants total.
Eight Bit Boy -- MB-C47B7B365ECC51F4 - Taken by Shalashaska. 8 entrants total.
Zack Zero -- MB-55D9912DA56A51EF - Taken by Tizoc. 3 entrants total.
The Desolate Hope -- MB-2F79C9911243E812 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow. 3 entrants total.

t1401847152z1.png

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Subject Nine -- MB-0539244C5F944C22
Eight Bit Boy -- MB-C47B7B365ECC51F4
Zack Zero -- MB-55D9912DA56A51EF
The Desolate Hope -- MB-2F79C9911243E812

t1401847152z1.png

Thanks to the gifter. Bought the bundle myself earlier, so dont need anything, but will give away a Zack Zero later :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Hey, I always wanted an open world zombie MOBA Minecraft-styled rogue-like dating sim FPS Ace Attorney, what's wrong with that?

Bluth54

Why do people think Fallout 4 will be exclusive to Xbone? It doesn't really make sense, no matter how you look at it.

Yeah it doesn't make a lot of sense, I'm sure the cost to make Fallout 3 an Xbox exclusive is probably more then Microsoft is willing to pay.

Even if it is an Xbox exclusive I doubt we have to worry, it would probably be an Xbone/PC exclusive, not just an Xbone exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom