• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Sees giant wall of text followed by the post's title* This is going to be about fant-

Yep.

On a lighter note, Groupees' Be Mine 13 bundle is now live. Second tier is $4 as was earlier speculated.

If anyone still doesn't know what's in the bundle:

$1 tier:
  • Legend of Dungeon
  • Antisquad
  • Alpha Kimori™ 1
$4 tier:
  • Nekro
  • Miasmata
  • The Longest Journey
  • Spate
  • Mystery Game

Nekro and Spate are fairly new and they are looking awesome.

On a lighter note, Groupees' Be Mine 13 bundle is now live. Second tier is $4 as was earlier speculated.

If anyone still doesn't know what's in the bundle:

$1 tier:
  • Legend of Dungeon
  • Antisquad
  • Alpha Kimori™ 1
$4 tier:
  • Nekro
  • Miasmata
  • The Longest Journey
  • Spate
  • Mystery Game

That's disappointing, the only game I really wanted from the bundle was Miasmata and I've passed on it for less than $4 in the past. Really thought it was going to be in the $1 tier.

How playable is Guacamelee with mouse and keyboard?

It's playable for me so far, only thing there is a boss fight when at one point you are supposed to jump and when in mid-air do a key combination; in the frenzy of the fight and especially when you are low on life it can be a little frustrating and you can see that would be way easier played with a gamepad.

And with that...

zKLtji1.jpg

I feel empty inside now.

ModBot said:
Instructions for bobnowhere:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Longest Journey -- MB-B41912673C0FDC0F - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon. 4 entrants total.
Antisquad -- MB-B91A819234143B91 - Taken by redlacs. 3 entrants total.

t1401780464z1.png

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Got dishonored.
Any tips?

First time through, don't play it as a stealth game. You can be stealthy to a degree sure, but get the most out of the game the first time through and be as creative as you want to be just killing people. I say this as someone who did enjoy doing it stealthy the first time through, found so much more enjoyment as tine little segments of how to best kill everyone instead.

The gun is okay, but ultimately not all that special or important. crossbow is just as effective with more features and the powers are the real joy.

Teleport ability is great for it and of course makes the game smoother setting everything up. Go on roof tops to take a lay of the land, put yourself above an enemy so you drop and kill them from above, or just play a silly game of cat and mouse later on.

Slowing down time or freezing it comes later and is hilarious when done right. Freeze time and set it up shooting arrows at people, then watch from afar as they go down like dominoes once you go back to normal time. Also works with grenades.

Wind blast knocks back projectiles sure, but it's true grace comes in throwing either enemies farther into objects or letting you push a grenade you just threw even farther.

If you like feeling the world is alive and they are people with lives of their own, keep the heart out as often as you can and use it on a variety of people to your... heart's content.

It's okay to use rats to clean up the city.

If you like the story, The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches are the DLC to get.
Dunwall City Trials on the other hand are challenge maps, such as speed running or killing in a certain way, and good fun if you want more of the game play with some goals to attend.

BTW, how is Wolfenstein 3D? I never played Doom 1 or 2 and don't have much interest in them.
I can't tell you how it is now, or even on PC, but I can say that I loved the hell out of it on Atari Jaguar and didn't mind it on PS3 either.

It's a purer experience that Doom 1-2, if that makes any sense - but if you don't like the genre, I don't see how you'd like this.

How much is it? If it's cheap enough, I'd say it's worth trying if you're not entirely sure about it.

Speaking of playfire, I didn't know that there was DmC credit up for grabs. I might try and get back into it to get the ones in the list I don't have. Too bad I can't relock the ones I have and get 'em again.

Edit: AE credits too? Maaaaaaaaaaaaan, now I wish that the game didn't unlock all the achievements I had in the GFWL version. :/

Speaking of playfire, I didn't know that there was DmC credit up for grabs. I might try and get back into it to get the ones in the list I don't have. Too bad I can't relock the ones I have and get 'em again.

Edit: AE credits too? Maaaaaaaaaaaaan, now I wish that the game didn't unlock all the achievements I had in the GFWL version. :/

I got the two I was missing yesterday (the two "do X without getting hit" ones) and while the game still looks good and runs well, I kind of remembered the game being more fun in the past. I got an S ranking in one mission while fumbling with the controls and having forgotten half the moveset of the weapons, which shouldn't happen. I don't think I'll ever seriously go back to it

For SSFVI, playfire staff said the achievements would be backdated to the date of the switch, but that't doesn't really help since the game isn't tracking achievements at all on playfire right now and they usually take their sweet time in fixing that.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
That was very kind of you :) I feel bad now as if I was fishing for the game, so I'll pay it back asap.

Hey, no problem and thanks once again!

Here are some other games from the bundle in case anyone wants them.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Nekro -- MB-87436982659BEEF1 - Taken by Vastag. 11 entrants total.
Spate -- MB-0CBEC6D51873542D - Taken by ArynCrinn. 8 entrants total.
Antisquad -- MB-E341E5004E4253CF - Taken by Caerith. 5 entrants total.

t1401790801z1.png

Lomax

I picked up Antisquad on GMG about a week ago (the price had gone up on Steam, I figured it would be a while before it was bundled, yes, I should know better) and played it for a couple of hours on Friday getting my card drops
that never sold
and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys turn based tactical combat, it has a lot of the Jagged Alliance feel to it and plays well.

Though to be honest the only real reason I was ever that interested in it is it has a character named Rose who they managed to make look exactly like a redheaded Billie Piper.

I got the two I was missing yesterday (the two "do X without getting hit" ones) and while the game still looks good and runs well, I kind of remembered the game being more fun in the past. I got an S ranking in one mission while fumbling with the controls and having forgotten half the moveset of the weapons, which shouldn't happen. I don't think I'll ever seriously go back to it

For SSFVI, playfire staff said the achievements would be backdated to the date of the switch, but that't doesn't really help since the game isn't tracking achievements at all on playfire right now and they usually take their sweet time in fixing that.
Yeah, for DmC I enjoyed it my first time through, but when I went back when I got Vergil's Downfall I didn't enjoy it as much. I couldn't tell you why. Maybe 60fps on my new computer will help some, I dunno.

Good news and bad news on the Street Fighter achievements I guess. I hope they get on those before the rewards expire. Although in the future If I really want these rewards, I guess I need to stop playing games as soon as they're released. A bunch of my Killer is Dead achievements ended up not tracking with Playfire and I was kinda peeved about it.

Edit: Thanks for The Longest Journey, bobnowhere. I actually haven't played it before, but I've played Dreamfall.

So, is all the love in this thread for The Longest Journey based on nostalgia? Because I tried the demo and it's buggy as fuck...wouldn't let me exit the game, screwed up the resolution of my computer until I signed out and back in, and it obviously isn't optimized for widescreen or higher resolutions (both of which I could accept if those two things didn't affect the first two on my list). I realize all of that is because it's older software running on a newer machine, but still.

Though to be honest the only real reason I was ever that interested in it is it has a character named Rose who they managed to make look exactly like a redheaded Billie Piper.

Ahah, you're right, now that you have made me pay attention and I can see she sort of looks like a redheaded Billie Piper indeed.

Arthea

I would be very much surprised if the mystery game isn't Dreamfall.

you and me, we even know they got Dreamfall keys (><)

edited: remembered that I've red your review on Amalur on steam and liked it. Also you spent insane amount of hours playing it. :)
One thing that caught my eye, you liked sidequests. Unlike you, I thought many of them are boring. Combat is fun enough though.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So, is all the love in this thread for The Longest Journey based on nostalgia? Because I tried the demo and it's buggy as fuck...wouldn't let me exit the game, screwed up the resolution of my computer until I signed out and back in, and it obviously isn't optimized for widescreen or higher resolutions (both of which I could accept if those two things didn't affect the first two on my list). I realize all of that is because it's older software running on a newer machine, but still.
I played it for a good twenty hours last year (didn't finish it 'cause "stuff" happened) and loved it. It can be a bit hard to get it running reasonably well on modern machines, though.
Some small fixes; http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Longest_Journey

Knurek

In light of all the reviews going out there for Murdered: Soul Suspect, here's my take on another casual adventure game I've finished lately.

It's... good. Surprisingly good, even. May be just because I enjoy courtroom dramas so much, but I spent 8 hours with the game and don't feel this was a wasted time. The cases got better further down the line, the conclusion was not disappointing as well, more so because the final attorney had some wits on him, and you had to actually think to break his defense tactic.

Speaking of... The game was composed of two parts, the police investigation, which was really nothing special (some HOPA parts, but most of it was dialogue trees with you pointing out inconsistencies in witness/suspects statements) and the actual court proceedings, which are 100% dialogue trees... But, let's not beat around the bush, due to the fact that the US judicial system is insane, these are very interesting. The amount of technicalities your lawyers can use to turn the tide of the case are... well, something that can keep even the most boring murder into a griping tale.

I just wish Telltale would go further with this idea - as it stands now, it's rather backbones... It's entirely too easy to win a case, and if you make a mistake, you can always replay the scene. Something like a 'no backsies' Walking Dead approach, where you can actually have the jury throw out the case if you're awful in court would be much more appreciated.

I don't watch the TV show, but a fellow GAFer said that the game doesn't use TV show's cast for voice-overs. Which can be disappointing, true, but honestly, I don't have anything against the actors used. They are as good as in pretty much every other Telltale game.

I had some problems with technical side of the game (small wonder with a Telltale game) - there's no way to enable anti-aliasing in the options and injecting SMAA/FXAA broke the game for some reason. Luckily, forcing AA with CCC worked fine with no noticable speed loss - but with rather sparse graphics used, I'd be seriously baffled if the game wouldn't run smoothly even on a toaster. Had also some mildly annoying sound breakups, mostly cutting of half a second or so of some speech samples. Not sure if that wasn't caused by forcing AA though, and anyways, it wasn't anything unbearable.

It's a fun low-key type of experience, something to do while you're eating dinner or just wanting to unwind from shooting zombies/Combine. Wouldn't say it's worth the asking price ($20), but if you manage to get it during a sale (I think I got it for $3-4 from GMG), and you're even remotely interested in the topic, give it a whirl.

Collectors, take note - this is a licensed game by a developer that has been known to not extend their licenses. It can disappear from Steam at any moment, just like the Wallace & Gromit games did.

Its quite good as long as you realize it's not an open world game in the tradition of GTA, where you are usually presented with multiple side missions and activities; and not penalized for causing wanton mayhem. Its more of a linear third person shooter that has a world you can technically drive around freely.

Also, dinosaur easter eggs and a great call back to events in Mafia 1.
So go straight for the objectives then.

We have people who enjoy Bioshock Infinite
come at me bro

zkylon

zkylewd
So, I've just started Skyrim and I noticed they managed to put some motherfucking terrifying giant spiders in the motherfucking tutorial.

Is there a mod who replace spiders with funnier stuff like i dunno saoirse ronan or something?

there's that spiders to bears mod but imo it kinda makes everything worse since you get fucking bears hanging out the ceiling moving all crazy korean horror movie like

i think there's one that replaces them with like skyrim wolves and that's the one i used

this one i think i went with: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9134/?

i used this one too to remove spiderwebs: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/144/?

check this one out too: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26468/?

none of this are actually funny but it's what i used to get past the tutorial to finally realize i hate the shit out of skyrim :3

I'm sure zkylon will love this image
:p
iwFSZ8wPsZRHE.gif

do one with zooey deschanel and maybe it'd work for me.

queelag, queelan, spider thing from demons 2-1 and freja are all ok for me. it's the little ones that frighten me

tho i've gotten a lot better after like six runs of brighstone cove and like literally killing all 8 spiders near the third bonfire 12 times all three runs in ng thru ng++

oipic

BioShock Infinite - still so divisive, continuing to drive a wedge between us, after all this time.

I liked it, story and all, and enjoyed my play through - perhaps I'm too easily pleased, and lack critical thinking? Maybe I now fail to see mediocre, or worse, recognise bad? Maybe I've become the type that modern games are perceived to have been dumbed-down for? Don't shun me, SteamGAF. :(

Like him, loathe him, or in indifference, it's going to be super-interesting to see what Ken Levine delivers next.

I played it for a good twenty hours last year (didn't finish it 'cause "stuff" happened) and loved it. It can be a bit hard to get it running reasonably well on modern machines, though.
Thanks. Will try all of that tomorrow. I want to like the game. I love the genre.

I don't watch the TV show, but a fellow GAFer said that the game doesn't use TV show's cast for voice-overs.
That was probably me, and while I know I'll find that aspect of the game distracting, I have a feeling I'll love the rest of it. Playing a decent licensed property based on something you dig can be a hell of a lot of fun - and Telltale seems to have a good track record in that regard.

Arthea

guys, have you already forgotten? BioInf jokes don't work anymore, as it almost became our GOTY.
wait, or is it selfdeprecation? (><)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So. How is this RPG Maker Game in this bundle?

The trailer makes it look interesting. I guess that's a good word for it.
I hope the lag in the battles is part of the final release. I really do.
The reviews on Steam are slightly off putting, though.

So, is all the love in this thread for The Longest Journey based on nostalgia?

It is for me at least. Well, that and I want to replay it for the eventual release of Dreamfall Chapters.

I get the feeling that this is going to be very handy.

zkylon

zkylewd
BioShock Infinite - still so divisive, continuing to drive a wedge between us, after all this time.

I liked it, story and all, and enjoyed my play through - perhaps I'm too easily pleased, and lack critical thinking? Maybe I now fail to see mediocre, or worse, recognise bad? Maybe I've become the type that modern games are perceived to have been dumbed-down for? Don't shun me, SteamGAF. :(

Like him, loathe him, or in indifference, it's going to be super-interesting to see what Ken Levine delivers next.
nah, bio infinite's pretty great

i mean it's a great tale and a great ride and i enjoyed it a fuckton, i don't care if i then kind of hated it on second playthrough cos 1999 mode is bullshit and gameplay didn't hold up one bit

i don't even care if the story has plotholes or whatever graph you can make to explain to me that it didn't make sense, i had a blast with it

see this gif makes me pretty miserable cos it looks like a real one and now i don't want to ever dry my hair ever again

my brain is stupid

didamangi

You're so easily pleased....

And so do I D:

I remember when I played it on release I really enjoy it and so does most of GAF I think on the OT and spoilers thread and stuff. I even enjoyed it enough to do all the achievements.

But now liking Infinite apparently is as offensive as guys who cheats to get achievements :(

That's a rather personal question sir.

Lol, by the way, do you mind me asking whether you took your nickname from Lomaxthe toy collector character from Psychoville?
Brilliant show, it was not easy for them to follow up the awesome The League of Gentlemen, now I'm looking forward to what they do next.

Lomax

Lol, by the way, do you mind me asking whether you took your nickname from Lomax in Psychoville?
Brilliant show, it was not easy to follow up The League of Gentlemen, now I'm looking forward to what they do next.

No I didn't, in fact I'm sad to say I have never even heard of the show,
I'm just an American who wishes he was a Brit,
but I will definitely look into it now.

Fake edit: After watching a couple of youtube clips I can definitely say that Lomax is a lot like what I've always had in mind.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
morning gaf. have some games

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

The Longest Journey -- MB-F2317BA20E959F61 - Taken by Chairmanchuck
Zack Zero -- MB-8F001526B51CA6A9 - Taken by nature boy
Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta -- MB-6EC8AF68BE177FDC - Taken by Dambrosi
Legend of Dungeon -- MB-51C1C22CD6545B9D - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon

The Longest Journey is amazing too bad the sequel sucked ass in terms of gameplay.
I dunno, I played it and liked it quite a bit. Although I think I gave it a pass on the gameplay on account of being so engrossed in the world. That doesn't happen that often with me.

Edit: Thanks for Legend of Dungeon, Rhaknar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom