• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to hear more impressions of Nekro before I drop $4 on it.
Imagine if they do the same thing as a previous BM bundle where they showed a vague image which we all speculated was Banner Saga XD

BTW, how is Wolfenstein 3D? I never played Doom 1 or 2 and don't have much interest in them.

It is still a great game. You can play it for free via your browser:

http://3d.wolfenstein.com

So go straight for the objectives then.

Yes, basically. I dont want to give the impression that the world is completely empty though. There are things that you can do like, purchase outfits, rob shops,and upgrade your car (This aspect outshines every other open world game). The latter in addition to being well done, can make certain missions much easier.

This is not a post to flame someone, nor is it a post to drive someone out of Gaf. It serves to highlight an issue of integrity, and it is something some of Gaf (which includes me) feel quite strongly about. Please do not send hate mail or flame said person in question. Please be gentlemen/ladylike.

So it was brought to my attention by a Gaffer who wishes to remain anonymous and un-antagonistic, that a certain Gaffer has been at it again. Something that those of us at SteamGaf have time and time again told him/her not to do, that it was wrong, that it should be punished. I'm afraid that all of our warnings and pleas have fallen on deaf ears.

That someone is fantomena. He is using SAM to cheat achievements again.

Should any of you not remember, or are unfamiliar with the situation, you may peruse the past kerfuffle starting from here.

In my opinion, PlayFire is doing a wonderful service. With collecting games being a thing, what with all these bundles (not to say there's anything wrong with collecting games), PlayFire aims to get more people to play some games they might otherwise not bother with. If you liked it, then you have experienced something you otherwise would not have. If you didn't, maybe you could leave a comment or send an email to the developer with your criticisms and suggestions. No matter what, you earn some credits that you can put towards your next game. It's a win-win situation.

These are the Playfire achievements for Prototype, and as of this post, you have 3 days and 17 hours to earn them.

This is a screenshot of fantomena's Prototype 2 stats.

This is a link to his current Prototype 2 stats.

As you can see, he has since removed those achievements. Whether it was due to his conscience, or because someone called him out on it, I do not know. All I know is that he told us this:

and this:

You may not have cheated PlayFire credits out of this, since PlayFire tracks achievements only at certain times, but it has certainly demonstrated that you are willing and able to do so. You are willing to ruin what many of us would not believe will occur just a few years ago, that we would get money (well credits are pretty much moneys) to play games.

This is an issue of integrity. You are supposed to be a reviewer. How are we supposed to trust you as a reviewer, when you seem so willing to cheat the system for your own benefit? This makes you worse than those journalists who attended that Watch Dogs event and accepted free Nexuses. How are we supposed to react to you as a person?

I wish you will apologise to RadMonkey, and request (not wait for a punishment to be meted out, but to actively approach him) that your steam account be unlinked from your GMG/PlayFire account, that all your credits be removed, and that you be banned from the PlayFire service. After all, you have demonstrated that you cannot be trusted with this service, which is in part based on trust that you are not using SAM.

I wish you also apologise to Copons and r3n4ud, who asked that we stop admonishing you and to move on. You have failed their trust.

Thank you for reading.

First, thanks for not trying to escalate this into a witch hunt hekk. Secondly, while this case seems to be clearly a usage of SAM, I would ask that people not jump to conclusions every time an achievement is unlocked in a conspicuous fashion. The system is dependent on developer competency, so achievements can erroneously unlock without the use of third party software.

Tellaerin

i'm still waiting for zooey queelan

I'll post something up if inspiration strikes. (That mental image of bears scuttling around on cave ceilings is total nightmare fuel, by the way. Wonder if those would be the Aussie "drop bears" I keep hearing about...)

Edit: Looks like Anteater beat me to it. Getting slow in my old age. :p

Imagine if they do the same thing as a previous BM bundle where they showed a vague image which we all speculated was Banner Saga XD

One of the most entertaining things about that bundle ended up being all the wild guessing and speculation about what that "drawing" (and I use the word loosely) was supposed to be. xD

I personally thought, it was
funny in
cute
way
(to use zkylon's words)

Hey, I meant that "bravo" unironically. I'm a sucker for puns and wordplay.

Gangxxter

Well, shit. I didn't expect to actually win. :eek: Thanks, man! Definitely looking forward to having a good driving game to dig into after I finish unlocking grainy FMVs of bored-looking women bumping and grinding to bad techno tracks Street Racing Syndicate. >.>

IMHO FUEL is great, the game world is massive and the lighting is very atmospheric, especially at dawn/dusk.

But always make a backup copy of your savegames! GFWL has fucked up my savegames too many times already, it really sucks -.- I recommend to backup your savegame everytime you exit the game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Welp, Murdered: Soul Suspect is looking like a 10$ game, can't wait for the sale in like two months.

It's doing exactly as I expected, opinions all over the place. Currently the game has one 3/10 review, four 5/10 reviews, four 6/10 reviews, four 7/10 reviews, six 8/10 reviews, and two 9/10 reviews (this is taking .5 scores down to the lower number, like 8.5 to 8, and taking out of 5 scores to be out of 10, like 3/5 is 6/10).

Polygon's reviews is surprisingly the most interesting one for me so far: http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/3/5765892/murdered-soul-suspect-review

mrgone

I'd like to hear more impressions of Nekro before I drop $4 on it.

BTW, how is Wolfenstein 3D? I never played Doom 1 or 2 and don't have much interest in them.

You can actually play Wolf3D online here: http://3d.wolfenstein.com/

It's still fun for a little while, but it doesn't hold up nearly as well as the early Doom games do.

edit: Crap, I totally missed a page. Casimir beat me to it :)

Copons

Yeah... I did that! On Blind Survival Mode to boot. :D One Finger Death Punch, for those who live under rocks. ;p

JEEEEEEEZ
I think I'm something shy of 2000 on both Blind and No Luca No Survivals!
Good god you're good! :D

there's that spiders to bears mod but imo it kinda makes everything worse since you get fucking bears hanging out the ceiling moving all crazy korean horror movie like

i think there's one that replaces them with like skyrim wolves and that's the one i used

this one i think i went with: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9134/?

i used this one too to remove spiderwebs: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/144/?

check this one out too: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26468/?

none of this are actually funny but it's what i used to get past the tutorial to finally realize i hate the shit out of skyrim :3

AHAHA
I used Insects Begone who replaces them with bears (also, I don't have any problems with webs, in fact I also modded them to be better looking :D ), and actually it was weird.
Especially because I installed the mod just after killing the tutorial spiders from VERY far away, and when I went back in game they were replaced by bigger bear corpses, who struggled to find a stable position, making some really creepy noises like "gneck gneck gneck" (or something else, in proper English onomatopoeia).
I'm gonna try the wolves one, but actually I'm just past the tutorial and I'm realizing that this game really sucks. :D
I mean, how the hell is it possible that enemies don't have a hit-reaction animation? FFS even in the first Mario when I jumped on goombas they became squashed... At the moment, I know that I'm hitting them right just because after a while they die. This is totally not normal. Not in 2014 at least.

(cut: oops fantomena did it again)

I wish you also apologise to Copons and r3n4ud, who asked that we stop admonishing you and to move on. You have failed their trust.

I don't even remember this, but ok, I'll accept apologises, funny gifs, hentai pics, hentai gifs, lemonparty, selfies, and whatever else you want. My inbox is yours.

It's doing exactly as I expected, opinions all over the place. Currently the game has one 3/10 review, four 5/10 reviews, four 6/10 reviews, four 7/10 reviews, six 8/10 reviews, and two 9/10 reviews (this is taking .5 scores down to the lower number, like 8.5 to 8, and taking out of 5 scores to be out of 10, like 3/5 is 6/10).

Polygon's reviews is surprisingly the most interesting one for me so far: http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/3/5765892/murdered-soul-suspect-review

I'm honestly not surprised that the opinions are all over the map, that's kind of par for the course with Airtight Games. Pretty sure both Dark Void and Quantum Conundrum had similarly mixed receptions.

$10? Grow some restraint, this is a Steam thread.

I said two months you can wait the year for less :p

Vuze

Finished Alan Wake. Last chapter was more like Wagon Pushing: The Game.

All in all it was alright, it's one of the games I'm on the fence whether or not I would recommend it.
While the atmosphere was quite tense and very well done the gameplay itself was just so tedious imo.
The story... huh yeah, I didn't get it at all. I first thought I did, but after reading several write ups on the web I didn't haha.

Caerith

you and me, we even know they got Dreamfall keys (><)

edited: remembered that I've red your review on Amalur on steam and liked it. Also you spent insane amount of hours playing it. :)
One thing that caught my eye, you liked sidequests. Unlike you, I thought many of them are boring. Combat is fun enough though.

When I was playing Amalur, I was comparing various aspects of it to other games. Like, the crime system is better than a game like the Witcher (where nobody gives a shit if you break into their home and loot it) but not quite on the level of Risen (where people are particularly paranoid about you sneaking into places you're not meant to be), and the combat is pretty much best in class (although FFXIV has a better gamepad UI).

Amalur used sidequests as a tool for exposition like most games do-- they're the reason you go half the places on the map, they're the tool for telling you how the world works-- but Amalur did it rather more gracefully than, say, Darksiders II (they're both action RPGs) or FFXIV (KoA is compared to MMOs, so I compared it to one), where a typical sidequest might be, "Hail, adventurer, I am out of bear asses. Please go kill 10 bears and fetch me their asses." -> "Thank you, adventurer. You might be wondering why I need bear asses, so stay awhile and listen while I talk for five minutes about the history of bear ass stew." In Amalur, it's more, "Hey, have you seen Alice? She was supposed to have my bear asses here but she's late, could you go find her?" then you go look for Alice but she's like "I'd love to help, but I can't get bear asses because of these wild fae, they're never this aggressive and it's too dangerous to go into their cave and find out why" so you investigate and one thing leads to another until you finally solve the fae's problem thereby solving Alice's problem thereby restoring the bear ass supply line and the whole time you're picking up lore in bits and pieces.

I also liked that Amalur's quests included some variety, like having to figure out what happened and getting rewarded based on your answers. I mean it's not on the level of the best of New Vegas, but it's certainly among the better RPGs I've played.

Also, it can't be stressed enough: the combat is really fun. Especially with daggers.

zkylon

zkylewd
oh man unearthed, it's going to the new badrats and I'm going to avoid it as much as possible.

nsfw-ish, she doesn't look too pleased

noo, new page
hmm

still would

AHAHA
I used Insects Begone who replaces them with bears (also, I don't have any problems with webs, in fact I also modded them to be better looking :D ), and actually it was weird.
Especially because I installed the mod just after killing the tutorial spiders from VERY far away, and when I went back in game they were replaced by bigger bear corpses, who struggled to find a stable position, making some really creepy noises like "gneck gneck gneck" (or something else, in proper English onomatopoeia).
I'm gonna try the wolves one, but actually I'm just past the tutorial and I'm realizing that this game really sucks. :D
I mean, how the hell is it possible that enemies don't have a hit-reaction animation? FFS even in the first Mario when I jumped on goombas they became squashed... At the moment, I know that I'm hitting them right just because after a while they die. This is totally not normal. Not in 2014 at least.
yea it's a pretty terrible game

i tried it twice but i just can't get into it, nothing about it is interesting in any way and it just makes me feel like i'm wasting my life playing it

also fuck spiderwebs

I'll post something up if inspiration strikes. (That mental image of bears scuttling around on cave ceilings is total nightmare fuel, by the way. Wonder if those would be the Aussie "drop bears" I keep hearing about...)

Edit: Looks like Anteater beat me to it. Getting slow in my old age. :p
you can still do your own take :3

_hekk05

Banned
First, thanks for not trying to escalate this into a witch hunt hekk. Secondly, while this case seems to be clearly a usage of SAM, I would ask that people not jump to conclusions every time an achievement is unlocked in a conspicuous fashion. The system is dependent on developer competency, so achievements can erroneously unlock without the use of third party software.

Yes, I agree that sometimes achievements erroneously unlock. The 3 achievements that erroneously unlock just happen to be the only ones which give you PlayFire credits? That were all unlocked at exactly the same time? Also a negligible no of hours played?

You just happen to download the game and play for less than 0.1 hours and it unlocks the 3 achievements that just happen to give you PlayFire credits?

Yeaaahhh that's kind of suspicious. Also, fantomena kind of has a previous record. For any other person, I might give them the benefit of the doubt.

Arthea

you have a point here, sidequests usually had some things that are world/story/lore related, as far as I can remember, and I never said they are all bad. It can be, that share amount of them makes them boring in the long run and ya, they demand a lot of travelling.

It looks interesting to me, something I'd definitely enjoy playing, but seeing as it will probably bomb I'll wait.

just wanted to point out, that exactly this attitude will make this game bomb, everybody waiting until it bomb to buy (><)
obvious, I know

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, I agree that sometimes achievements erroneously unlock. The 3 achievements that erroneously unlock just happen to be the only ones which give you PlayFire credits? That were all unlocked at exactly the same time? Also a negligible no of hours played?

You just happen to download the game and play for less than 0.1 hours and it unlocks the 3 achievements that just happen to give you PlayFire credits?

Yeaaahhh that's kind of suspicious. Also, fantomena kind of has a previous record. For any other person, I might give them the benefit of the doubt.

:)

Salsa

Luftrausers has me wanting to pick up Nuclear Throne

too bad they said it wont be on sale till after it's out (early access atm), would have grabbed it on the summer sale

mrgone

You can't fight MechaHitler in Doom.

Wolfenstein is better.

Q.E.D.

:p

Fair point about MechaHitler! But the total of four weapons that aren't a whole lot different from one another, all the right angles, and the lack of height mapping and floor and ceiling textures make it seem much older than Doom, which was only actually a year and a half later.

Plus I really like the FM synth renditions of classic metal :)

Knurek

you have a point here, sidequests usually had some things that are world/story/lore related, as far as I can remember, and I never said they are all bad. It can be, that share amount of them makes them boring in the long run and ya, they demand a lot of travelling.

Worst problem with Amalur was that the amount of XP given during the sidequests broke the game in half and then some. Provided you'd do everything in the first area (of four), you'd be so OP, you could just cruise through the rest of the game on autopilot.
Pity that.

Arthea

Worst problem with Amalur was that the amount of XP given during the sidequests broke the game in half and then some. Provided you'd do everything in the first area (of four), you'd be so OP, you could just cruise through the rest of the game on autopilot.
Pity that.

I actually passed on quite a lot of them, as doing them all seemed like totally insane idea to me (><)
edited: don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there are too many sidequests there, they are not mandatory, so the more the better, for people that want to make all, but I have suspicion that this game was not meant in a way "make all quests as soon as you can acquire them", because that would make this game incredibly long, so you choose what strikes your liking.

I keep thinking the new Doom is gonna be Wolfenstein in the future, with Space Nazis unlocking Hell.

and you think that because?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Fair point about MechaHitler! But the total of four weapons that aren't a whole lot different from one another, all the right angles, and the lack of height mapping and floor and ceiling textures make it seem much older than Doom, which was only actually a year and a half later.

Plus I really like the FM synth renditions of classic metal :)

1.Damn it, I didn't fix my proof fast enough.

2.The number of weapons changes depending on which version you play.

3.I can't argue about Metal.

I keep thinking the new Doom is gonna be Wolfenstein in the future, with Space Nazis unlocking Hell.

I want to be optimistic, but the news about it being stuck in development hell is not encouraging.

Dambrosi

Banned
morning gaf. have some games
Thanks for Unearthed!

Also, Be Mine 13 would be the best bundle this week month if it weren't for the RPG Maker Humble Bundle. Worth it for Longest Journey and Miasmata alone.

just wanted to point out, that exactly this attitude will make this game bomb, everybody waiting until it bomb to buy (><)
obvious, I know
Well, it's kinda obvious to anyone with an inkling of the market today that Murdered will probably bomb - it's a full-priced narrative-led investigation/adventure game, afaik, with the emphasis on "full-priced". I hope it does eventually make its money back, though.

mrgone

1.Damn it, I didn't fix my proof fast enough.

2.The number of weapons changes depending on which version you play.

3.I can't argue about Metal.

I want to be optimistic, but the news about it being stuck in development hell is not encouraging.

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about the SNES version, but I never knew it was ported over to the 3DO and Jaguar too with a bunch of additional improvements. Definitely looks a little more interesting there!

edit: Now I've fallen down a very strange wikipedia hole where I've discovered that Rebecca Heineman (formerly William Salvador Heineman) who ported Wolfenstein to the 3DO and Jennell Jaquays (formerly Paul Jaquays), who was a longtime level designer for id software, both transitioned genders and are now a married lesbian couple.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Thanks for Unearthed!

Also, Be Mine 13 would be the best bundle this week month if it weren't for the RPG Maker Humble Bundle. Worth it for Longest Journey and Miasmata alone.

Nekro is a fantastic game too. It's also very sad to see newly released games that are good lose their value so fast by being in a bundle

Arthea

Thanks for Unearthed!

RPG maker bundle is better? It is not, if we are talking games. But there is another contender: bundle stars V is for Vendetta is good too. Tiny Mix and Blood Knight bundles need mention also. This month delivers, as far as bundles go.

Nekro is a fantastic game too. It's also very sad to see newly released games that are good lose their value so fast by being in a bundle

This is surprising often, but what I still can't believe that Deadly Premonition ended up in bundle so soon after release. That was really weird decision, not that it was not selling or something.

Knurek

RPG maker bundle is better? It is not, if we are talking games. But there is another contender: bundle stars V is for Vendetta is good too. Tiny Mix and Blood Knight bundles need mention also. This month delivers, as far as bundles go.

Come on, Skyborn, To the Moon? Sweet Lily Dreams and Deadly Sins 2 (from Skyborn devs IIRC) are also nice. Not to mention Star Stealing Prince, Homework Salesman and rest of the Free Bundle games.

Groupees is nice, true, but I don't see it grossing 1.5 million bucks. Humble will.

Caerith

Yeah, but the travel wasn't bad-- you had no stamina meter, dungeons had exit shortcuts, fast travel was easy, and there was rarely any time you spent just running without something to do.

Playing Amalur made me think a lot about game design, and I think that boredom can result from any of a number of factors. Not caring about the lore, for instance, or finding the gameplay tedious-- I think KoA was designed well enough that neither of these are an issue, but rather what kills it is the sheer volume of side quests. I could have beaten the game in 40 hours maybe, but instead I beat it after 140 (and there are still a ton of quests I haven't done, maybe only half of them).

Pity that.
That and the area level scaling. Areas somewhat scale to whatever level you are when you first enter them, meaning if you run around exploring at low levels, maybe reaching Rathir at level 10, then by the time you get back to those areas all the enemies (and quests and loot and XP) are at the bottom of their possible range.

A shame we'll never see what the developer could've done with a sequel.

Arthea

Come on, Skyborn, To the Moon? Sweet Lily Dreams and Deadly Sins 2 (from Skyborn devs IIRC) are also nice. Not to mention Star Stealing Prince, Homework Salesman and rest of the Free Bundle games.

Groupees is nice, true, but I don't see it grossing 1.5 million bucks. Humble will.

well, ya, I forgot that I already owned most of games in there, lol
sorry about that

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, I'd forgotten about the SNES version, but I never knew it was ported over to the 3DO and Jaguar too with a bunch of additional improvements. Definitely looks a little more interesting there!

edit: Now I've fallen down a very strange wikipedia hole where I've discovered that Rebecca Heineman (formerly William Salvador Heineman) who ported Wolfenstein to the 3DO and Jennell Jaquays (formerly Paul Jaquays), who was a longtime level designer for id software, both transitioned genders and are now a married lesbian couple.

lol, that is crazy.

Salsa

I launched Ass Creed Revelations to see if it was worth finishing before torturing myself with Ass 3 and man when you think about it the controls in that game are really just.. over the top for the sake of it. I don't remember how to do shit, and I should after about 15 minutes but nope. Keep this button pressed so this other button changes into this other action, also hold these 2 buttons to parkour shit so you can't move the camera when you do it and you gotta do the monster hunter claw. Also what the fuck was the plot even about

sure looks and runs great tho, last Ubi game to do so probably

How do I set up Fear's game pad controls? I'm a little confused here :x

Uh... I didn't even know it had controller support.

It has limited gamepad support, but you have to setup everything yourself, and it doesn't recognize some buttons on the 360 controller. You're best off using Xpadder to play the game with a pad, set it up the way you want. I could send you my settings, but unfortunately I'm not at home.

Dambrosi

Banned
Quite. And it's happening more often now, as seen in the Blood Knights and Vendetta bundles (Blood Knights/Fearless Fantasy/Alien Rage). It's actually a pity, but i'm one of those guys who takes advantage of "vote on Greenlight for free games" offers despite mildly disapproving of them, so I can't really say anything.

Yeah, but the RPG Maker bundle also has To The Moon and Skyborn, plus now you can make your own Steam megahit! Go grab that 15 minutes of internet fame!

Joking aside, this month has been great for bundles already, and it's only the 3rd!

Card Boy

Banned
If The Eternity Clock is not sale after the Summer sale then i'm buying it full price. Can't believe its never had a sale on PC but has on PSN.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Going commando...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

8-BIT COMMANDO -- MB-06790D1A8D9F9F9C - Taken by pahamrick. 8 entrants total.

t1401791683z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom