• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
It ain't the Steam thread without yerba mate.
But the good hot one kind!

hell no

if you don't have an arcade stick, a keyboard is superior to a controller

I mean, up to opinion I guess, but yeah
Eh, depends on each one, using a kb I'm kinda hopeless with diagonals D:

if you guys wanna get srs about that stuff this stick can be found on sale for like $50 or less a lot

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M23RAC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and it's totally fine, and easily moddable

ZBkH4.jpg

you might wanna get the 360 version though. I got the PS3 one and while it recognizes most fighting games on PC just fine, it has some issues with others.
Is that Markman approved?
Also, given I also have a PS3 I'd get that version.

Kill it with fire.

mannerbot

Is that Markman approved?
Also, given I also have a PS3 I'd get that version.

You should be aware that some motherboards have issues with the PS3 stick. Neither stick officially supports PC, and it won't be an issue for most, but the 360 is the safer bet for PC (and if you have any desire to dual-mod the stick it's much easier to add PS3 compatibility to a 360 stick).

danielcw

Since nobody said no, I'll act like it is 0K remind you about my little giveaway.

Please also thank fellow Gaffer BorntoPlay,
who traded it for SSF4A with me and made this giveaway possible.
And Gaffer Giard
traded for the second SSF4A key, and thus provided me further incentive
to do this giveaway:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Deus Ex Human Revolution -- MB-9223028DA8627AEE

t1401614325z1.png

EDIT: contrary to what the image may imply,
it should be the standard edition of the game,
and not the Director's Cut,
unless there is an automatic upgrade I am not aware of.

Also it is Steamgift, and not a key.
Thanks to Grief.exe, which tutorial I used to give away a Steamgift via Modbot

This was pretty much my conclusion as well. The camera jitter was really offputting at the start and it was the first time a game has made me feel a bit nauseous. I eventually got used to it and the rest was easy sailing. The characters were incredibly forgettable but it had some really satisfying combat; enemies were highly reactive, and I just felt like I always had a lot of options available to me. I'd shuffle into one guy, kneecap him with my climbing axe, arrow the guy behind him, shotgun the guy I just handicapped, pick off the explosives the other guy threw -- it was just really smooth. It helps that cover mechanics weren't a strong focus and you had all your weapons on you at all times, so that alone helps it feel fresher than a lot of current games by default.

Absolutely, factor in also the decently sized environments with a lot of movement options that allowed you to tackle stuff in different ways and at different paces. Really loved that zipline rope tool too.

Miker

Been playing some Supah Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition since getting a copy from Salsa's thread (thanks bro) and I was looking up how to play some characters, and holy shit I forgot how complicated it is just to get into any competitive game. So many acronyms and weird terms that I need to learn just to read a freaking guide. FADC, kara, meaty, link, plink, etc. It never ends.

mannerbot

Been playing some Supah Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition since getting a copy from Salsa's thread (thanks bro) and I was looking up how to play some characters, and holy shit I forgot how complicated it is just to get into any competitive game. So many acronyms and weird terms that I need to learn just to read a freaking guide. FADC, kara, meaty, link, plink, etc. It never ends.

All of those are easily explained though, with possibly the exception of plinks as that's an obscure mechanic of the SFIV engine. Even plinks are easily demonstrated though. Are you still confused about any of them even after looking them up?

Milamber

I fucking give up on Watch_Dogs. The constant stuttering no matter what resolution/texture/offline changes I make does nothing. I'm gonna shelve this stupid game until a significant patch comes out by the next month or two.

Clawww

just play a lot and peep some some beginner guides/tutorials, you'll be fine

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I fucking give up on Watch_Dogs. The constant stuttering no matter what resolution/texture/offline changes I make does nothing. I'm gonna shelve this stupid game until a significant patch comes out by the next month or two.

Yeah, the game needs a patch and also a better SLI profile (many people have reported reducing stuttering when running a single GPU).

Miker

All of those are easily explained though, with possibly the exception of plinks as that's an obscure mechanic of the SFIV engine. Even plinks are easily demonstrated though. Are you still confused about any of them even after looking them up?

just play a lot and peep some some beginner guides/tutorials, you'll be fine

Oh I understand them just fine; 've played SFIV before (vanilla) and I know most of the terms, but I mean the sheer volume of lingo that's built up over the years is a bit much. It's just time consuming and not very beginner-friendly.

Wag

I gave up on it too. Hard to believe with 3 Titans the game still runs like shit. Ubi should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a game in such a state. Money grabbing whores.:(

mannerbot

Oh I understand them just fine; 've played SFIV before (vanilla) and I know most of the terms, but I mean the sheer volume of lingo that's built up over the years is a bit much. It's just time consuming and not very beginner-friendly.

Why should they be beginner-friendly? These are intermediate/advanced concepts and not required learning for newbies to enjoy the game.

Milamber

Meanwhile, any word on a Murdered: Soul Suspect review embargo?

EDIT: Also, damn these digital oceans, M:SS is coming out 3 days later than US.

Miker

Why should they be beginner-friendly? These are intermediate/advanced concepts and not required learning for newbies to enjoy the game.

I'm not asking for them to them to be beginner-friendly, just stating that they aren't. I understand that some of the more complex concepts aren't going to be beginner-friendly no matter what. It's still a slog to read over a bunch of terms in a glossary in an online forum before you can begin to understand even the more basic guides on a game. It comes with the territory for most competitive games, and I get that, but it doesn't make it any less time consuming and complicated.

mannerbot

I'm not asking for them to them to be beginner-friendly, just stating that they aren't. I understand that some of the more complex concepts aren't going to be beginner-friendly no matter what. It's still a slog to read over a bunch of terms in a glossary in an online forum before you can begin to understand even the more basic guides on a game. It comes with the territory for most competitive games, and I get that, but it doesn't make it any less time consuming and complicated.

Ah, ok I see. Yeah, there is a pretty high bar set as far as minimum terminology you have to familiarize yourself with just to be able to discuss fighting games. But while it all may seem like unnecessary gibberish for the uninitiated, you have to learn the proper terminology for literally any subject if you want to have conversations about them in a timely manner. I get what you're saying about it being daunting for newbies but this same complaint applies to literally everything if you want to learn beyond a surface level. :p

Nakazato

After seeing Salas Arcade stick im starting to think its time to replace parts in my HRAP3. Its 5 years old and I think the switches and spring in the stick is starting to go :(

Cool in-game unlocks for Rayman Legend:
- In-game points
- More in-game points
- More in-game points
- More in-game points

Yes, really.

That's actually a good thing, maybe.
If it gives you lums in game, there are a ton of unlockables and achievements tied to those.

Better than unlocking a gamer pic or something. ;)

Most of those terms aren't hard.
Most of them aren't even hard to do.
Plus a lot of that is universal (not FADC and plink depends on the game)...

So if you're into fighters, you'll pick it up eventually. I can't even FADC ultra with any consistency (input needs to be too fast for my old man hands to keep up), but still... ;)

In case you actually want the beginners version of all that stuff:

FADC = Focus Attack Dash Cancel -- this is where you press MK+MP together to do a focus attack and then tap forward twice so your character dashes out of it cancelling the focus attack. It's sort of a way to juggle or link together things which don't normally combo.

Link = combo moves with specific timing -- it means you have a very small and specific timing window to input the second command.

Plink = I think the p stands for priority... it has to do with being able to buffer inputs in such a way so that you get a double chance to hit a difficult 1-frame link. It involves rolling your fingers from one button to another... http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV/Advanced_Techniques/Plinking

This technique is mostly a SF4 thing due to the way in which certain button inputs are given priority over others if two are pressed simultaneously. check the link for a more detailed explanation.

Kara = using a specific attack animation to help you increase the distance from which you can connect a throw. Sometimes this is used in conjunction with supers and other moves, but in my head, the context generally applies to throws. :)

Meaty = basically deep. It hast to do with how deep within the other character your attack connects. If you do a jumping HK with Ryu or Ken and you hit the opponent in the head, it is not meaty... however, if your foot is pretty much extending through their midsection, that would be meaty.

There's also crossups, but since you didn't mention those... ;)

They shouldn't. Or they give players the alternate input schemes for "push buttons to make cool things happen...". :)
Also, you're right, it's not. All you have to understand for almost any fighter to give it a shot is how to do special moves inputs.
This reminds me of when people used to ask me all the time back in middle school how to do the specials for SFII. :lol

I don't agree with this at all. If you can understand how to read the move list, you can play as a newbie. If you want to be an online warrior and dedicate time to learning a character and figuring out some BnB combos and stuff, then it takes more time and knowledge of the game's terminology. Hell, if you go through the character trials in most games, they teach you some of the character specifics where you would pick up links and such without even realizing and lots of games have tutorials for beginners to teach them the glossary/system for that game (Blazblue, etc.).

After seeing Salas Arcade stick im starting to think its time to replace parts in my HRAP3. Its 5 years old and I think the switches and spring in the stick is starting to go :(

I like the very basic paint job. I've never been able to actually modify my TE with anything ... though I've often thought about getting some plexi to change the top and remove the bevel.

Miker

Most of those terms aren't hard.
Most of them aren't even hard to do.
Plus a lot of that is universal (not FADC and plink depends on the game)...

So if you're into fighters, you'll pick it up eventually. I can't even FADC ultra with any consistency (input needs to be too fast for my old man hands to keep up), but still... ;)

In case you actually want the beginners version of all that stuff:

FADC = Focus Attack Dash Cancel -- this is where you press MK+MP together to do a focus attack and then tap forward twice so your character dashes out of it cancelling the focus attack. It's sort of a way to juggle or link together things which don't normally combo.

Link = combo moves with specific timing -- it means you have a very small and specific timing window to input the second command.

Plink = I think the p stands for priority... it has to do with being able to buffer inputs in such a way so that you get a double chance to hit a difficult 1-frame link. It involves rolling your fingers from one button to another... http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV/Advanced_Techniques/Plinking

This technique is mostly a SF4 thing due to the way in which certain button inputs are given priority over others if two are pressed simultaneously. check the link for a more detailed explanation.

Kara = using a specific attack animation to help you increase the distance from which you can connect a throw. Sometimes this is used in conjunction with supers and other moves, but in my head, the context generally applies to throws. :)

Meaty = basically deep. It hast to do with how deep within the other character your attack connects. If you do a jumping HK with Ryu or Ken and you hit the opponent in the head, it is not meaty... however, if your foot is pretty much extending through their midsection, that would be meaty.

There's also crossups, but since you didn't mention those... ;)

Yeah, I know what they mean - I learned them when I played SFIV vanilla years ago, and I spent some time reviewing those terms earlier today. It's just gotten to the point where I can't believe I'm using the phrase "reviewed those terms" when it comes to a video game.

EDIT:

I don't agree with this at all. If you can understand how to read the move list, you can play as a newbie. If you want to be an online warrior and dedicate time to learning a character and figuring out some BnB combos and stuff, then it takes more time and knowledge of the game's terminology. Hell, if you go through the character trials in most games, they teach you some of the character specifics where you would pick up links and such without even realizing and lots of games have tutorials for beginners to teach them the glossary/system for that game (Blazblue, etc.).

What are you disagreeing with? I completely agree with everything you just said. All I'm saying is that there's a mountain of terminology that's built up over the years for fighting games and for somebody completely new to the scene, it'll take that person ages to read through a glossary before they can even begin to approach more in-depth guides.

mannerbot

This isn't really a precise definition of a meaty. A meaty is an attack that you start while your opponent is knocked down and in the process of getting up. You start it early so that the instant your opponent gets up, you're in the middle (towards the end) of your active animation so that you waste less time in recovery animation while your opponent is in hit/blockstun.

yo new thread!

thanks for bit trip runner, only got the second game

Hey anteater, thanks for the info on shadowplay before... while I'm talking to you though... did you see my questions in the previous about using manual recording with shadowplay (when I boot the game and press alt+f9, my busy cursor shows up, and then the game usually crashes... so I'm not quite sure how manual works exactly or why MINE doesn't work at least) and about editing once done (if you have any suggestions for software or whatever)?

I'm just thinking if I want to cut down a 5 minute clip of KiD to a specific section where I did some kick ass stuff or whatever... I assume that if I hit alt+f10, it dumps the last 5 minutes of gameplay to a file where i can edit it (or the last x minutes as stated by the options on that panel you showed)... I assume the manual gives you a "start now, stop now" when you hit alt+f9... I just wish mine worked right I guess. :)

This isn't really a precise definition of a meaty. A meaty is an attack that you start while your opponent is knocked down and in the process of getting up. You start it early so that the instant your opponent gets up, you're in the middle (towards the end) of your active animation so that you waste less time in recovery animation while your opponent is in hit/blockstun.

Huh -- I was doing trials for Ken last night screwing around a bit and when you get to 10, you definitely have to hit that j.HK deep in order to get the combo started otherwise the s.HK won't connect and will be blocked. I always thought that was meaty... much like the concept you describe while they're getting up, but I'm no FGC pro, so maybe I have the term mixed up with another... it's the same concept sorta... you're starting the move late so you're closer to the ground when you connect which means you can get the animation for the s.HK in my example going quick enough so it isn't blocked, no?

Oh cool, June thread's here.

I'm a Mac user, so why is my app saying I can install the complimentary Payday 2 on my machine? It can't detect my VM, so I don't know why it's giving me this opportunity.

mannerbot

Yeah, I know what they mean - I learned them when I played SFIV vanilla years ago, and I spent some time reviewing those terms earlier today. It's just gotten to the point where I can't believe I'm using the phrase "reviewed those terms" when it comes to a video game.

Can't believe I reviewed those terms when it comes to playing a dumb instrument. Can't believe I reviewed those terms when it comes to doodling on a pad. Can't believe I reviewed those terms when it comes to tossing a ball around. Like I said in my edit, this applies to literally everything and if you enjoy the time spent learning to play games at a high level I don't think you should dismiss it as a waste of time/energy on a frivolous activity.

Miker

Can't believe I reviewed those terms when it comes to playing a dumb instrument. Can't believe I reviewed those terms when it comes to doodling on a pad. Can't believe I reviewed those terms when it comes to tossing a ball around. Like I said in my edit, this applies to literally everything and if you enjoy the time spent learning to play games at a high level I don't think you should dismiss it as a waste of time/energy on a frivolous activity.

:( Guys, I spent half my afternoon reading these terms and the Rindoukan Bible PDF for Makoto in SSFIV on Shoryuken. I'm not being dismissive. Why would I do that if I thought it was a waste of time/energy? I'm just saying it's a large undertaking that takes a ton of time. Am I wrong in saying that?

mannerbot

Huh -- I was doing trials for Ken last night screwing around a bit and when you get to 10, you definitely have to hit that j.HK deep in order to get the combo started otherwise the s.HK won't connect and will be blocked. I always thought that was meaty... much like the concept you describe while they're getting up, but I'm no FGC pro, so maybe I have the term mixed up with another... it's the same concept sorta... you're starting the move late so you're closer to the ground when you connect which means you can get the animation for the s.HK in my example going quick enough so it isn't blocked, no?

Meaty is a different but somewhat related concept I guess. As you say, that's a deep hit. You just hit a jumping attack as late in the jump as possible so that you can land quickly and go right into the next move in your combo without waiting for your character to land (wasting hitstun frames in the process).

:( Guys, I spent half my afternoon reading these terms and the Rindoukan Bible PDF for Makoto in SSFIV on Shoryuken. I'm not being dismissive. Why would I do that if I thought it was a waste of time/energy? I'm just saying it's a large undertaking that takes a ton of time. Am I wrong in saying that?

Yeah, I totally get what you mean, as indicated in my other replies. It's kind of the tone of your earlier posts I guess; if you want to really dig in and learn anything all of this comes with the territory. Not every game is tic-tac-toe haha. I don't think that you meant to complain about it but it kind of came off that way. Nonetheless, of course we can all agree that the rabbit hole goes very deep here, haha.

Anteater

Hey anteater, thanks for the info on shadowplay before... while I'm talking to you though... did you see my questions in the previous about using manual recording with shadowplay (when I boot the game and press alt+f9, my busy cursor shows up, and then the game usually crashes... so I'm not quite sure how manual works exactly or why MINE doesn't work at least) and about editing once done (if you have any suggestions for software or whatever)?

I'm just thinking if I want to cut down a 5 minute clip of KiD to a specific section where I did some kick ass stuff or whatever... I assume that if I hit alt+f10, it dumps the last 5 minutes of gameplay to a file where i can edit it (or the last x minutes as stated by the options on that panel you showed)... I assume the manual gives you a "start now, stop now" when you hit alt+f9... I just wish mine worked right I guess. :)

Weird, yeah, alt+f9 should allow you start recording until you press it again to stop, it worked for me with Grid and Sonic racing, I'm not sure why it's crashing your game though

Since I've just been making webm, I've only been using this script which will allow you to specify the start and end time of the clip you make:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107330048&postcount=1471

If you want to edit your videos for things like youtube and stuff, I'm not sure the best solution but I've been using what this post suggested back then and I remember it working well for me:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87941551&postcount=462

Miker

Yeah, I totally get what you mean, as indicated in my other replies. It's kind of the tone of your earlier posts I guess; if you want to really dig in and learn anything all of this comes with the territory. Not every game is tic-tac-toe haha. I don't think that you meant to complain about it but it kind of came off that way. Nonetheless, of course we can all agree that the rabbit hole goes very deep here, haha.

Yeah, I agree with the whole digging-in thing. I'm a pretty casual fighting game player, and I don't think I'd be alone in saying that the jargon is kind of intimidating. And not that I play that many competitive games, but I think fighting games are the primary genre where high level play really has a ton of terminology to learn. When I played StarCraft 2, reading the guides was really simple due to the relative lack of jargon.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh cool, June thread's here.

I'm a Mac user, so why is my app saying I can install the complimentary Payday 2 on my machine? It can't detect my VM, so I don't know why it's giving me this opportunity.

OSX was added to the supported OS list as a Mac port is in the works.

mannerbot

Yeah, I agree the whole digging-in thing. I'm a pretty casual fighting game player, and I don't think I'd be alone in saying that the jargon is kind of intimidating. And not that I play that many competitive games, but I think fighting games are the primary genre where high level play really has a ton of terminology to learn. When I played StarCraft 2, reading the guides was really simple due to the relative lack of jargon.

Uh, StarCraft (even the yucky sequel) is about as deep as the rabbit hole goes. You have to learn all of the tech trees, units, damage types, counters, associated hotkeys, build orders, how to read builds from limited information, timing windows, general strategy, and then on top of that practice all of the mechanical requirements as far as micro techniques/macroing effectively/multitasking (and instead of 6 buttons there's an entire keyboard). I'm reaalllllly confused by this post, haha.

Miker

Uh, StarCraft (even the yucky sequel) is about as deep as the rabbit hole goes. You have to learn all of the tech trees, units, counters, associated hotkeys, build orders, how to read builds from limited information, timing windows, general strategy, and then on top of that practice all of the mechanical requirements as far as micro techniques/macroing effectively/multitasking (and instead of 6 buttons there's an entire keyboard). I'm reaalllllly confused by this post, haha.

I mean simply in terms of reading guides and jargon. Build orders are simple as hell to actually read (less so to execute, obviously). All the other stuff you mentioned is stuff in the game itself. It'd be like saying for fighters, you have to learn all of the fundamentals like zoning, poking, mindgames, etc. on top of learning about stuff like characters, their attacks, their specials, their combos, and so on.

EDIT: Also, I'm definitely (definitely!) not saying that getting into competitive StarCraft is easier than competitive fighting games ;)

mannerbot

I mean simply in terms of reading guides and jargon. Build orders are simple as hell to actually read (less so to execute, obviously). All the other stuff you mentioned is stuff in the game itself. It'd be like saying for fighters, you have to learn all of the fundamentals like zoning, poking, mindgames, etc. on top of learning about stuff like characters, their attacks, their specials, their combos, and so on.

I disagree, but I guess I do see your point in that maybe fighting games are deceptively complex whereas RTS lets you know from the jump that it's gonna require some learning. Fighting games are much easier for a beginner to jump right into and feel comfortable in. The minimum level of understanding you have to reach for RTS games just to stop feeling hopelessly lost is on a totally different level. Just think about it from a casual observer's viewpoint: you've got two guys on screen hitting each other, vs. guys building a bunch of bases and huge blobs moving into each other and lights flying all over the place. Which is easier to understand? Fortunately for me I started following pro BW back in like '01 and fighting games probably about that same time, but yeah...

Miker

I disagree, but I guess I do see your point in that maybe fighting games are deceptively complex whereas RTS lets you know from the jump that it's gonna require some learning. Fighting games are much easier for a beginner to jump right into and feel comfortable in. The minimum level of understanding you have to reach for RTS games just to stop feeling hopelessly lost is on a totally different level. Just think about it from a casual observer's viewpoint: you've got two guys on screen hitting each other, vs. guys building a bunch of bases and huge blobs moving into each other and lights flying all over the place. Which is easier to understand? Fortunately for me I started following pro BW back in like '01 and fighting games probably about that same time, but yeah...

You bring up a good point. When I tried getting into SC2 as a complete RTS scrub, I was like "oh hey, these guides seem pretty tame, this should be doable." Then actually playing and interpreting a game of SC2 was totally beyond me. When I tried getting into SFIV, I was like "holy shit these guides these terms my miiiiind," but actually playing the game is much simpler than SC2.

I want to pick it up. I'm going to keep a close eye on it.
Really like how peoples' picks are bringing titles I wouldn't have known about to my attention. Gods Will Be Watching, in particular, seems like my kind of thing.
I've been unable to discern just exactly what type of game Gods will be watching is thus far but I am intrigued by it.
You can play the original Gods Will Be Watching here:
http://godswillbewatching.clay.io/

The upcoming game has more scenariors, better animations, and just overall more polish
Stuff like this

Salsa

I woke up today and thought "oh im gonna continue play RE6"

I somehow got distracted and avoided that till this moment, when im starting the game, and it's 3AM

this happens too often

Tellaerin

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person left nowadays who just jumps into online games without reading a bunch of guides or watching Youtube videos or anything ahead of time. >.>

Anteater

Capcom seem to like to putting their games on sale when I have no money

Last time I was looking into buying RE6, they were selling their DLCs with discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom