• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Gotta love the constant shots from GoG (and others) towards Steam, but of course Valve as the silent, tame giants they are...are just going to stay that. They're like the Hodor of the gaming industry (sorry, couldn't come up with a better comparison)

I thought they were mostly taking shots at Uplay.

'I bought a single-player game recently that requires me to be online.'
'I bought a game recently that requires a third party account as well.'

2014-06-05_21-25-51_zpse615e28d.png

I wonder what would happen if Steam released "Some Game 3" and put these words on its pre-order banner:

Satisfaction of supporting Valve & Steam

"Satisfaction of cards and hats"

I'll just wait for GMG or Steam to use credit instead...

HoosTrax

I thought they were mostly taking shots at Uplay.

'I bought a single-player game recently that requires me to be online.'
'I bought a game recently that requires a third party account as well.'
It'd be kind of weird if they explicitly made a knock against Steam considering 80% of the sales of Witcher 2 were on Steam and 16% were from GoG. Biting the hand that feeds you and whatnot.

I mean, they also have the odd situation that Valve is in as well, where part of the company is a digital store and the other part is a game developer.

It'd be kind of weird if they explicitly made a knock against Steam considering 80% of the sales of Witcher 2 were on Steam and 16% were from GoG. Biting the hand that feeds you and whatnot.

I mean, they also have the odd situation that Valve is in as well, where part of the company is a digital store and the other part is a game developer.

CDPR guy made a comment about wanting to buy the game on GoG instead of Steam because he wanted DRM-free. There were a couple off-hand comments specifically about Steam compared to Uplay/Origin.

Authority

Banned
Layoffs hit Eve Online studio CCP

Eve Online developer CCP today laid off nearly 50 staff members in a "gigantic cut" for its Reykjavik headquarters.The 49 job losses, confirmed by CCP after an initial Polygon report, are said to affect the company's publishing organisation. Today's news comes as CCP renews its focus on games set in its Eve universe, after the failure of its canned World of Darkness MMO. "As part of our strategy to focus on the EVE Universe, today CCP conducted a restructuring that resulted in the layoff of 49 people in our publishing organisation," a CCP spokesperson told Eurogamer.

"Though it is hard to say goodbye to our friends and family, this action concludes the process we started several months ago. CCP has provided severance packages and job placement assistance for those affected."

Development on Eve Online, Dust 514, VR spin-off Eve Valkyrie and the newly-announced Project Legion are not affected by the cut.

The EVE Online Dev Team is not reduced by the restructuring at CCP. All our plans for EVE are still in action. #tweetfleet

The DUST 514 Dev Team is not reduced or affected by the restructuring at CCP. Plans for DUST 514 and Project Legion are still in action.

World of Darkness reached an alpha build three times over almost nine years of development, it was reported earlier today. CCP pulled the plug on the MMO back in April, resulting in the loss of 56 jobs at its Atlanta studio.

Credits to Eurogamer

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
hey jshackles, is there any easy data spigot somewhere that can just give me a json or xml or one-per-line tab-delimited list of every app's name and appid?

Lomax

2014-06-05_21-25-51_zpse615e28d.png

I wonder what would happen if Steam released "Some Game 3" and put these words on its pre-order banner:

Satisfaction of supporting Valve & Steam

What's dumb is I'll buy the game on Steam and then get a free code for gog like they did with tw1/2 so I'll have it on both services.

I bought The Witcher 2 on GoG for just that reason, to support CD Projekt and their support of PC gaming, and other than providing that support, I've regretted it pretty much ever since. Especially once cards were released for the Steam version, and you get a GoG copy, it just makes the Steam version better in every objective way. Plus, in spite of downloading and installing it three times now, I still have barely played it because I'm just so much more likely to play things on Steam.

Of course it will probably be years before I upgrade my computer enough to play Witcher 3, but I'm sure it will be steam summer sale 2017 where I'm buying it for $5, rather than GoG winter sale 2015 for $25.

I thought it was based on Source. Someone actually managed to make a Source engine-based games that runs like crap on average hardware?

It was heavily modified.

also modern Valve Source games also have their problems, like CS:GO. That engine is so dated and bloated at this point. And I feel the "Source games run on toasters" narrative people like to spin around is disingenuous. Source can be pretty CPU-bound, and it's threading is not very good. I can get better and more consistent performance with some other modern games than modern Source games (excluding Portal 2).

HoosTrax

I plan on buying Witcher 3 on Steam. I hope it has achievements like 2 did.
I'm embarrassingly in this situation as well.

I don't necessarily consciously boycott games without them, but it's effectively a boycott of sorts nonetheless because they end up on permanent backlog. If you were to tally up the average playtime of games in my library with and without achievements, the disparity would be massive, so there's a definite cost-vs-playtime calculation to be made there.

Edit: Come to think of it, if I were a gamer in the arcade era instead, I'd probably have spent hundreds of dollars in quarters trying to top High Score charts. Guess being born later saved me that money drain at least.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It was heavily modified.

also modern Valve Source games also have their problems, like CS:GO. That engine is so dated and bloated at this point. And I feel the "Source games run on toasters" narrative people like to spin around is disingenuous. Source can be pretty CPU-bound, and it's threading is not very good. I can get better and more consistent performance with some other modern games than modern Source games (excluding Portal 2).

Yeah, upgrading from an Athlon 4200+ to a C2D E6420 made for a night-and-day difference in CS:S.

rtcn63

My niece bought Watch Doge for PS4. There's no manual crouch, and sticky cover doesn't work when you need it. Ever. Which is wonderful for scripted firefights. After playing AssCreed 4, I can only believe that Ubisoft never gave a shit to begin it.

nexen

any chance you'll be able to play 3 without playing the other 2 or are they worth going through?

Witcher 1 is one of the best western style RPGs ever made.
Witcher 2 is very pretty and fun.

Also there is a lot of political intrigue that is left unresolved at the end of 2. I'm thinking it would be best to play them.

any chance you'll be able to play 3 without playing the other 2 or are they worth going through?

Each one is a standalone story, the only arching story is what happened to Geralt during his life as he has amnesia (Witcher 2 has some flashbacks). It is best to play through them all if you can, the choices carry on in each game and so do endings.

HoosTrax

Looks like Kingdom Rush with a crappy iPhone resolution.

Speaking of which, the difference between Fieldrunners 1 and 2 is really noticeable, as far as how obvious it was that 1 was an iOS port with minimal effort to make it a nice experience on PC, and how much more polished 2 is in every aspect.

My niece bought Watch Doge for PS4. There's no manual crouch, and sticky cover doesn't work when you need it. Ever. Which is wonderful for scripted firefights. After playing AssCreed 4, I can only believe that Ubisoft never gave a shit to begin it.

They're probably going for an AssCreed 1 > AssCreed 2 kind of development. I havn't seen number, but I think Watch_Dawgs printed money for Ubi.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-DECC67C68762189C - Taken by Vlad

If this turns out to be Tiny & Big, let me know...

Hesemonni

Banned
Here ya go:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-3EE8338185337C41
Beatbuddy -- MB-FE2CED0669FDE798 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
Risen -- MB-4FBF86AEBEE54D45 - Taken by Vazduh

I just learned the other day that the Witcher 1 can be completely played using just a mouse. Finally, I can enjoy a comfy couch experience with W1 before W2 and then finally W3 when it's under $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom