• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
In fairness, there was one point in the contest where there was some confusion about whether it was for a Season Pass or for the base game, he may have entered then, thinking it was for the base game. If that's the case I'd expect he'll probably just give it away again.

Cloudious12 won the first contest, where I made the mistake with the name but he had already bought the DLC before the giveaway ended, so I did a second giveaway in which I made it pretty clear that it was the Season Pass

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Aw, congrats Cth on the Season Pass, I really hope you plan on getting the game very soon. Been having great fun with it.

Also, I just saw that the price went up by 5€. It might not be much but 25€ is a bit steep, I guess it will be more than worth it either way.

i never saw it for 19.99€

Tellaerin

You know, the karma system in New Vegas has some real issues. (Fallout 3's guilty of this, too, but for RP-type stuff I'm inclined to hold Obsidian to a higher standard.)

So stealing's bad. I'm totally cool with that. But when you kill some thugs who were trying to murder you, it's considered bad karma to take stuff from their encampment? Even though you can loot their bodies without penalty? It's irritating that I have to either suffer a karma hit for taking the stuff that's there, or leave good gear behind.

I'm sure there's a mod out there to fix it, and I'll probably go looking for one at some point (out of irritation if nothing else). I just feel like I shouldn't have to - I'm surprised nobody shot this down in the design phase.

You know, the karma system in New Vegas has some real issues. (Fallout 3's guilty of this, too, but for RP-type stuff I'm inclined to hold Obsidian to a higher standard.)

So stealing's bad. I'm totally cool with that. But when you kill some thugs who were trying to murder you, it's considered bad karma to take stuff from their encampment? Even though you can loot their bodies without penalty? It's irritating that I have to either suffer a karma hit for taking the stuff that's there, or leave good gear behind.

I'm sure there's a mod out there to fix it, and I'll probably go looking for one at some point (out of irritation if nothing else). I just feel like I shouldn't have to - I'm surprised nobody shot this down in the design phase.

Yeah Karma's a bitch in Fallout, 100% there are mods that fix this.

If it's only a few things, you can make up the karma back later.

Authority

Banned
Jasec,

If you ever get tired of your profile picture I got the perfect alternative.
TealOnTheRocks.jpg

What Does God Think About Sex? Episode About Spiritual Sex - Teal Swan

I have no idea what she is or what she says but she is mesmorizing. I can probably sleep to that.

Caerith

Karma barely does anything in New Vegas, but you're right. Instead of neutering it they should have removed it.

ArjanN

Help me with a boss in DmC 2013 please
Fighting giant Mundus and got toa part where the entire battle floor is flooded with lava. Mundus just stands in the background and I have no idea wtf I'm supposed to do other than die and have him go into another attack sequence

I'm a bit vague on it, but I think you can grapple to another building if you move to one of the sides of the roof. Similar to the Slurm boss fight.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I wish they would fix the karma system so that it actually mattered in Fallouts. It's just too broad of an idea in a game they take too much time working on other things in the game so of course falls to the wayside and ends up bland.
At least Fallout Tactics had it affect membership in the Brotherhood.

I hope i did this right, first give away. This modbot thing is pretty darn smart! So, i went back and checked all my old bundle codes, and found some un-used codes. Enjoy!

Worked spot on. Thanks for Blue Toad Murder Files.

Repost due to an error from before.

First come, first serve.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Huntsman the Orphanage -- MB-27BB22CC9FB154C6 - Taken by pupo

Let me know if you have a problem with the key.

(I think i nuked it correctly).
:)

DogMeat77

Still got some leftover games up for grabs.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114898981&postcount=4641

Please take them

I've noticed a lot of people are having trouble getting rid of Beatbuddy. I assume it is because of the colon character ":". The modbot instructions say:
Instructions said:
If the game name has a :, -, or | in it, use the same character to separate the name and the key. Why? Because if not, it'll get confused and assume the name is part of the key.
Good: Hitman: Absolution: ABCD-EFGH-IJKL
Bad: Hitman: Absolution ABCD-EFGH-IJKl (ModBot will think the game is Hitman and the key is Absolution ABCD-EFGH-IJKL)

With that said, I'll be happy to take it off your hands if modbod will allow me too :)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Batman Blackgate: Yeah or Nay? I haven't played City or Origins but something about 2d batvania that is appealing to me.
Also, i'm going to try again: batman blackgate worth my time or not?
Answered already, but for the new page, it's nay.
The game is pretty easy even with its terrible map, short, and the combat is really bad. I must say that I enjoyed the boss fights but I'm on the minority on that.

Yeah, I know it's unlikely about Bayonetta 2. But I'm holding out hope since some of the companies would probably like a bigger demographic than Wii U owners who want good action games. :)

As far as Mario Kart goes, other than the ones I haven't played, they all feel like Mario Kart to me. It's new and shiny with new tracks and such, but they've never really strayed far from their formula as far as I'm concerned.

To answer your other questions, take the Batman games for example:
Would you say the Arkham games are the same?
Arkham City and Origins are very similar. There's some differences, but a lot of origins is definitely pulled from City and it shows. I still like Origins better than City overall, but I wouldn't say there's a ton of difference between the two. Asylum to City there's a big change in structure though.

Now I'm not saying every sequel has to be new and innovative and change the formula up. I like games that do what Mario Kart 8 probably does. My point in saying that was partial hyperbole, but the core of my point remains -- Mario Kart 8 seems like another Mario Kart game. You know what you're getting, mostly, before you buy it. And as such, someone without a Wii U of his own would have to be a ridiculous Mario Kart fanatic to go out and buy it just to play it on a friend's system (however frequently).

As far as the new Zelda, it still follows the same formula as LttP -- there's the village area (with dungeon) and the lost woods (with dungeon) and death mountain (with dungeon), etc. However, being able to rent all the items from the start and tackle the dungeons in any order? That's noteworthy, even if some of the dungeons were a bit easy or short (which works better for handheld play at times).
Even though I'll concede that buying a game to play in someone else's console requires some high level fanaticism, the games do have enough changes to saying such hyperbole to not be fair and is doing the game a great disservice as saying "GTAV is yet another GTA". So I guess we'll agree to disagree then.

people being surprised at a next-gen game asking for a 570 as minimum in 2014

what did anyone expect
It was just hope I guess
I'm also on a laptop and mobile's best are not that much better than the 7870 D:

im as bummed as anyone about the potential short legs my 2GB 680 has, considering I bought it last year, and at dat uruguayan price

but yeah lets be real
I feel sorry for ya bro :(
At this point AmazonGlobal is the better alternative for that kind of stuff.

026C69D7EE6A35DD13C4D40840F532CD02CF09FA

I cannot get enough of this game's art direction. Though I do feel like it's going a bit longer than it should.
Non the less a fun ride so far. Let's see if I can be bothered to finish it before the playfire rewards expire lol.
I hated that part of the mission, too much orange/bright red made my eyes hurt :(
Also if I diverted on the path and an enemy appeared on another one the camera went crazy stupid which was even more annoying (made me fall countless times).

yes

low end: x45 or less
mid end: x50 - x60
high end: x70 or better

that's how it works each series
Nah, fixed it for you.

new PC dongle release better come with white versions of those bone controllers

GQV9CnC.jpg

need it
Looking good, but I'll just keep the 360 pad and add a DualShake4 after I get a PS4.

new SF4 Ultra stick works with PC

nMCEGdQ.png

NpVhoEb.png

hawt
Good to know they are seriously after the PC market with that matching Alienware look.

Considering it was for MEGA givers, you find that surprising? Seems pretty large to me.
Actually that number counts all entries rather than only the valid ones, so maybe not that many megagivers :p

apparently Xbone controllers go for $99 locally

lol
And that isn't even an official price, the DS4 is more expensive even I think but everything PS4 has some insane official pricing anyway
you know you dun goofed when ML has the things at a saner price

Tizoc

I'm a bit vague on it, but I think you can grapple to another building if you move to one of the sides of the roof. Similar to the Slurm boss fight.

Thanks finally noticed the grapple points and just beat the game.
Countering attacks is such a bitch lol.

Trying this again.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-EDCBCBCF6F8B80C4
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance -- MB-548146197639A1A6 - Taken by Majukun
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-E400D3878F4486B5 - Taken by Exuro
Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD -- MB-9582A92A07E92052 - Taken by Shalashaska
Supreme Commander -- MB-4872177AB68D3BC4 - Taken by Gravelord_Nito

Syberia II impressions:

Having won this game from a gaffer here, who asked me to thank him in a PM and not in the thread, so thanks whoever you are) here's how it went down.

First impressions - right at the main menu was a button called "Syberia Recap" which basically outlined the story of the previous game in a cutscene. Perfect for someone who hadn't played the original. The story itself is charming, well thought out, and does contain lots of obvious foreshadowing so I can't really say it was "predictable" so much as a predestined journey that you get to enjoy along with the writers.

Some of the puzzles were really terrific and required you to think, giving you a sense of real accomplishment when you get it. Others were trial-and-error style. "Here's a complicated mechanism. No clues. Just fiddle around with it until you get it right." Still others were based around dialogue trees: if you need a hand with step 7 of a puzzle, you may have to talk to a character and have them talk about steps 3 through 6 first before they reveal they had the mcguffin all along, and you can have it for free!

The graphics themselves look good, but in a lot of cases it's not made obvious that something can be interacted with, and it certainly doesn't help that the interaction icons look so similar. (Oh, you added a little stick to the circle that I've been seeing all along.) Yes, I get that your levers are made of the same material as the rest of the structure but geez, could you not have made them blend in so well I needed a guide to find them? If you get this game, put on your pixel-huntin' goggles.

No complaints about the sound and music. Everything fit nicely. Voice acting was mostly good, although characters can't seem sure as to whether to pronounce the name Hans as "Honce" or "Hands." That, and for some reason every character needs to refer to you by your full name every other sentence. That can get annoying, Kate Walker.

Overall, despite my above misgivings, this game is a treat for point-and-click adventure fans and I had a ball. I recommend it.

Caerith

That Witcher 3 trailer got me overexcited and I need to lighten my burden, enjoy:

And thanks for the ongoing generosity of other posters in the SteamGAF thread.

Thanks for Divinity II!

And yeah, I'm pretty excited to see
Ciri
in that trailer.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Thank you Terra_Ex! I won Zeno clash 2. Loved the first, can't wait to try the second.

pahamrick

That Witcher 3 trailer got me overexcited and I need to lighten my burden, enjoy:

And thanks for the ongoing generosity of other posters in the SteamGAF thread.

Woo! Thanks for 99 Spirits!

Strange. I took it yesterday and when redeeming it it said I already have the game.

Would it still "activate" and then act as a duplicate?

Steam can sometimes give the duplicate issue when the servers are stressed. It'll redeem the key, add the game to your account, but because the servers are so stressed pass along the duplicate game error.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Woah, Mortal Kombat's single player really got its hooks in me. I planned on firing it up for a couple minutes, ended up playing for over two hours.

These b-tier TV-style cutscenes are the best. Characters dressed in the most hilarious ways standing around and talking about super serious stuff.

Now to watch all my favorite characters get killed off.
Why did they not take the opportunity to keep the original Sub Zero alive? Yes, I know he comes back as Noob Saibot later.

Really should load this up on steam and get to playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom